PDA

View Full Version : Found your perfect pressie? I have .........

Imageryone
22nd December 2016, 08:12 AM
An absolutely pristine E-1 and grip, 80 actuations only, still boxed with all paperwork, chargers etc. Never been updated.

Still my favorite Olympus digital camera, although it weighs a ton *chr*chr

angelpaaul
22nd December 2016, 08:21 AM
Nice. Should never have sold mine :(

Imageryone
22nd December 2016, 08:45 AM
My own has over 100,000 clicks on it, and I just couldn't face the fact it might die on me :D Hence the new one :D

snaarman
22nd December 2016, 09:02 AM
Mine is in honourable retirement at work where it gets used for day to day equipment photography. Shh - listen to that shutter.

Pete

Wally
22nd December 2016, 09:29 AM
I have the precursor of the E-1, namely the E20 and am pleased to say they both still function perfectly. As for shutter noise... what's that? ;)

:tup Build quality = made to last. *yes

DavyG
22nd December 2016, 09:41 AM
I also have a new, unused E1.

I bought it several years ago and despite trading in most of our older E series cameras, I kept this one.

I also have a new grip for the E1 complete with battery, I might get round to using them one day.

Dave

David M
22nd December 2016, 11:17 AM
Nice. Should never have sold mine :(

Same here. The last body you didn't have to worry about banging against rocks or trees when stalking something.

angelpaaul
22nd December 2016, 12:22 PM
Same here. The last body you didn't have to worry about banging against rocks or trees when stalking something.

Also great if you lost your hammer :eek:

Simon Bee
22nd December 2016, 01:01 PM
An absolutely pristine E-1 and grip, 80 actuations only, still boxed with all paperwork, chargers etc. Never been updated.

Still my favorite Olympus digital camera, although it weighs a ton *chr*chr

Me too !!

Just ordered a 'boxed' one from Harrison Cameras. 153 on shutter count, beautiful condition, 12 month guarantee, 100.00 ..... couldn't say no to that :D

Simon

Oh Btw, they have one more remaining if anyone is interested

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pd/Used-Olympus-E-1-Camera-body-Four-Thirds_USED-500014703.htm

Olybirder
22nd December 2016, 01:37 PM
I have never used an E-1, so I wondered what all the fuss was about. After reading this review by Robin Wong I can see why everyone raves about the 'Kodak colours'.

https://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/olympus-e-1-taking-step-back-in-time.html

Ron

Ian
22nd December 2016, 01:37 PM
I have the precursor of the E-1, namely the E20 and am pleased to say they both still function perfectly. As for shutter noise... what's that? ;)

:tup Build quality = made to last. *yes

I might spoil myself and get an E-20 at some point. Mine was stolen from Stansted airport when I returned from a weekend seminar in Mallorca getting to know the then, brand new, E-1 in September 2003.

Ian

DerekW
22nd December 2016, 03:36 PM
The E-20 for me was a disappointment, the AF was not always perfect,if not disappointing. The E-1 was magic it focussed on the subject regardless whether it had vertical or horizontal lines.
Move on to the EM1 and 4/3rds lenses and we get a reprise of the E-2 focussing problem, requiring extra care being required to get the camera to focus, ie using portrait mode to get the horizontal oriented subject in focus. Hopefully this is fixed in the MkII.

Ian
22nd December 2016, 03:41 PM
I might spoil myself and get an E-20 at some point. Mine was stolen from Stansted airport when I returned from a weekend seminar in Mallorca getting to know the then, brand new, E-1 in September 2003.

Ian

None on eBay when I looked today!

Ian

Imageryone
22nd December 2016, 04:06 PM
One on Amazon, Ian.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00005QCO1/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

angelpaaul
22nd December 2016, 04:45 PM
There was one on Harrison Cameras this afternoon, 100. Very tempted myself.

Wreckdiver
22nd December 2016, 04:46 PM
Just dug my E-1 out, 1686 shutter releases :eek:

Bought a second-hand grip years ago and then received a new one from Olympus via this forum. The second one still boxed, never used.

Steve

Otto
22nd December 2016, 05:55 PM
Is the E-1 destined to become a vintage classic I wonder? I had an E-300 for a while and the colour on that was good too. Modern software does a much better job of processing the raw files than what was available at the time. I also quite fancy a play with an E-1 as I still have a couple of 4/3 lenses which don't work too well on my E-M5.

Wally
22nd December 2016, 06:52 PM
Out of curiousity, does anyone know how to access the shutter count etc., on an E-20?

I thought I had instructions written down but seems it has walked or they were for the E-3's I had which I sold off years ago to forum members.

I've had a look on the i'net without success.

Asking in case I receive a request??? ;)

andym
22nd December 2016, 08:19 PM
My E1's still going strong after 11 years. Just a bit of peeling rubber on the grip that needs sorting.

*chr*chr*chr

Simon Bee
22nd December 2016, 09:14 PM
There was one on Harrison Cameras this afternoon, 100. Very tempted myself.

See post #9 ... I bought the one with 153 shutter count this morning. The link is to the other one listed which as I type they still have. 715 shutter count on that one which is still basically an almost unused camera.

Simon

David M
22nd December 2016, 10:14 PM
Also great if you lost your hammer :eek:

I remember tapping drawing pins in with my OM1 as it was all I had to hand.

Simon Bee
25th December 2016, 10:41 PM
Super service from 'H.C.' they had even charged both batteries:)
Postie came a knockin' Friday afternoon and here's what he brought ( not the lens ) .... ain't she a beaut *yes
Hard to distinguish from new, 153 shutter count, boxed with all accs, etc. two batteries and a comprehensive twelve month warranty and all for just 100.
I didn't find my old CF cards until last night:( but I did find my 'Leica R' adapter with them so I can now actually use the E-1.
The sound of that shutter is intoxicating :D

Ohhhh ... almost forgot, Merry Christmas everyone*chr

Simon

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Olympus_e-1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/91490)

Wally
26th December 2016, 10:37 AM
And the beat goes on... roughly 14 years old and still togging. Standard lens, 35 - 140mm ain't bad for an old fogey :tup

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=115&pictureid=2494 TCON 300

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=115&pictureid=2493 TCON 300
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=115&pictureid=2496 WCON-08B
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=115&pictureid=2495 WCON 08B - TCON 14B - TCON-300

They may be a wee bit slow... but then again I'm no longer the speed merchant I once was. *zzz

David M
26th December 2016, 01:15 PM
Stop it Simon. Actually that looks in far to nice a condition for me to use. I'd prefer what they call a 'beater' over here. One with scuffs and scratches so you don't mind adding more.

Imageryone
26th December 2016, 01:43 PM
And the beat goes on... roughly 14 years old and still togging. Standard lens, 35 - 140mm ain't bad for an old fogey :tup

They may be a wee bit slow... but then again I'm no longer the speed merchant I once was. *zzz

Wally, do these lenses have the contacts on the side and not the end? The reason I ask is that I have a lens here, bought from America as a 4/3rds lens.

After a very acrimonious case through Flea-bay I eventually got my money back, but as they insisted I pay the carriage, I still have the lens, but do not know which model it fits.
The lens is a Sigma 75-200mm f3.5

Wally
26th December 2016, 02:08 PM
Hi David, the E-20 is a different beast altogether from the E-1 in that the lens is fixed and not inter-changeable. the fixed lens is 9 -36mm with a x4 zoom = 36 - 140.

In pic #4 the lens, much like a filter, are screwed onto the fixed camera lens. The TCON 300 is different in that it initially gets fitted to a bar as shown in pics 1-2 and 4. You then butt the lens to the fixed lens and then screw the assemby to the camera tri-pod mount to lock everything into place. The lens fixing bar has its own tri-pod mount. I also have a combo set-up where the TCON 14B gets attached to the TCON 300 via a step-up ring which I called 'The Beast'.

I've misplaced the step-up ring but when found, I will post a pic of that set-up and you'll see why it's called The Beast. :eek:
In the mean-time I need to practicw somw weight-lifting. *yes

Wee man
26th December 2016, 10:27 PM
E1 body and HLD2 grip 89 Ffordes. E+ condition listed in AP.

Wee Man

Naughty Nigel
26th December 2016, 11:41 PM
By today's standards the E1 wasn't that great. Resolution was poor at just 4.9 megapixels, and noise was problematic at anything beyond 400 ASA. The preview screen was also a bit dismal, whilst the viewfinder was a bit like peering down a drainpipe compared to OM film cameras.

That said, the quality of images at lower ISO settings was superb, and somehow transcended the modest 4.9 megapixel resolution. Even printing to A3+ failed to show any rough edges. Better than that, colours from the E1 were sublime, and still better just about any other digital camera made today.

Handling was another strongpoint. Apart from the impressive weatherproofing, which I believe was a first for any digital camera at the time, the E1 somehow fitted into one's hand like a well-worn glove. It was certainly heavy, but it didn't feel heavy in use, and became an extension of your inner self.

If the E3 and E5 models which followed had had the same attributes I suspect the E-System would still be going strong now.

Imageryone
27th December 2016, 12:02 AM
I use mine for Tiff files only, 15.2 million pixels work well. I just love the whole concept, it feels " right " in the hand and has weathered many a storm without a single leak! A lovely balanced body no matter which lens is fitted.

David M
27th December 2016, 12:36 AM
By today's standards the E1 wasn't that great. Resolution was poor at just 4.9 megapixels, and noise was problematic at anything beyond 400 ASA. The preview screen was also a bit dismal, whilst the viewfinder was a bit like peering down a drainpipe compared to OM film cameras.

That said, the quality of images at lower ISO settings was superb, and somehow transcended the modest 4.9 megapixel resolution. Even printing to A3+ failed to show any rough edges. Better than that, colours from the E1 were sublime, and still better just about any other digital camera made today.

Handling was another strongpoint. Apart from the impressive weatherproofing, which I believe was a first for any digital camera at the time, the E1 somehow fitted into one's hand like a well-worn glove. It was certainly heavy, but it didn't feel heavy in use, and became an extension of your inner self.

If the E3 and E5 models which followed had had the same attributes I suspect the E-System would still be going strong now.

I don't think I ever had mine set over 200 ISO. I always thought that an upgraded E-1 with the E-3 viewfinder and the latest sensor would have been preferable to the E-3 which wasn't anything like as well built. If my samples of the 14-54 and 50-200 had been better I'd probably still have the E-1.

Shaw
27th December 2016, 05:48 AM
Out of curiousity, does anyone know how to access the shutter count etc., on an E-20?

I thought I had instructions written down but seems it has walked or they were for the E-3's I had which I sold off years ago to forum members.

I've had a look on the i'net without success.

Asking in case I receive a request??? ;)

Instructions on how to access shutter count are here:

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html

Wally
27th December 2016, 10:26 AM
Instructions on how to access shutter count are here:

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html

:tup Hi Stewart, many thanks for find that link... but unfortunately, the info doesn't work for the E-20? :( Olympus must still have it under 'top secret' wraps.

Having said that, I'm sure it will be handy for many others. :tup `*yes

Naughty Nigel
27th December 2016, 10:31 AM
I use mine for Tiff files only, 15.2 million pixels work well. I just love the whole concept, it feels " right " in the hand and has weathered many a storm without a single leak! A lovely balanced body no matter which lens is fitted.

I would agree about handling and weatherproofing.

However, the sensor was only 4.9 megapixels, regardless of the file format chosen. That would been adequate in its day if noise was better at higher ISO speeds, but as always, the half-frame sensor created a man made obstacle to good dynamic range and low noise.

Naughty Nigel
27th December 2016, 10:34 AM
If anyone is interested, I have a brand new, boxed charger for the E1.

The batteries will work in later E models, (E3, E5), but the charger won't charge some later batteries, which had four terminals.

Wally
29th December 2016, 01:10 PM
Apologies for the delay... eventually found the step-up ring on another lens.

Four weighty reasons to go 4/3ds

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=115&pictureid=2504

The Beast assembled: Weight - 3.600Kgs and 40.2cm in length or, in real money... a featherweight under 8Lbs and 16 1/2" in length.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=115&pictureid=2503

Not exactly the gear for street toggers, but it certainly gets people talking. ;)

Simon Bee
29th December 2016, 02:01 PM
Stop it Simon. Actually that looks in far to nice a condition for me to use. I'd prefer what they call a 'beater' over here. One with scuffs and scratches so you don't mind adding more.

Yes I know what you mean David. This one is so clean ( basically new ) it makes me not want to use it, but that would be silly, all cameras start out in new condition and if we didn't use them we'd have no photographs.

Simon

Simon Bee
29th December 2016, 02:07 PM
E1 body and HLD2 grip 89 Ffordes. E+ condition listed in AP.

Wee Man

They sold it a couple of weeks ago Ed, that's the thing with the internet ..... basically magazine advertisements are out of date before they even get published.

Simon

Simon Bee
29th December 2016, 02:15 PM
Better than that, colours from the E1 were sublime, and still better just about any other digital camera made today.

Nigel,

I believe that has more to do with the Kodak sensor used than Olympus, however Oly may have 'tweaked' things a bit.

That Kodak CCD was I am pretty sure the same as the one used in Hasselblad and Phase One MF Backs plus the Leica M8 and M9, all of which are equally praised for their colour. That's the thing with Kodak .... they really knew how to produce a CCD sensor that simply 'rocked' in the colour department.

Simon

Simon Bee
29th December 2016, 02:35 PM

Nigel,

I completely agree, it's built like a tank. If you have never handled an E-1 or HG / SHG optics the first time you do it becomes evidently clear that Olympus were completely serious in their intention to make an impression within the professional sector .... sadly the sensor technology was not sufficiently advanced at the time to convince many Pro's to make the switch to 4/3.

The handling is truly well thought out, dedicated ISO and Exp Comp buttons adjusted with the slightest of movement of ones right hand thumb. The form-factor of the thumb rest and finger grip really do make it feel like an extension of ( as you say ) your inner self.

The E-5 I once owned was and still is a very good camera however IMO it comes a distant second to the E-1 in the handling department.

Simon

Otto
29th December 2016, 03:57 PM
That's the thing with Kodak .... they really knew how to produce a CCD sensor that simply 'rocked' in the colour department.

Funnily enough I was chatting to an ex-employee of Kodak in the pub last night and he was saying that Kodak basically invented the digital camera sensor back in the day, but decided not to continue with digital development. Not a good decision! Given their history with colour films it's hardly surprising they managed to create a digital sensor with superb colour rendition, what a shame they didn't continue with it.

Imageryone
29th December 2016, 05:16 PM
Having had the pleasure of a conducted tour of Kodak City, USA in the very early 1970,s, I can see, in part, where their decision came from.
Kodak City supported a complete infrastructure from birth to death of many thousands of Kodak employees, and was a very happy place to be a part of at that time.
With almost a monopoly of film production at that time, I can imagine that a new tech like digital did not appear to be a threat.

My " new " E-1 and grip arrived from France today, and, just like Simon's, looks too good to use. I may just admire it for a few days as my own is still very much useable.

David M
29th December 2016, 06:14 PM
Yes I know what you mean David. This one is so clean ( basically new ) it makes me not want to use it, but that would be silly, all cameras start out in new condition and if we didn't use them we'd have no photographs.

Simon

Oh I'd use it for general photography, indeed I'd probably use it for nature work. After all, I did have an E-1 that was dragged along a rocky lakeshore when it was only a few days old. It still looked mintish when I sold it. And the guy I sold it to had seen me dropping it in wet sand when changing to an OM2n body so he knew the life it had had.

IPWheatley
30th December 2016, 12:27 PM
I also regretted selling mine when I got my E3. A couple of weeks ago while browsing through my snaps I realised just how good the results were so when I spotted one on a certain auction site I put in a bid. It came today. In the box was an E1 body, an HLD2 with charger, a 14-45 and a 40-150 lens. All totally mint. Shutter count 5224. I paid 93 for the lot plus a tenner postage. To say I'm pleased would be a massive understatement. Happy new year one and all.

Simon Bee
30th December 2016, 08:24 PM
I also regretted selling mine when I got my E3. A couple of weeks ago while browsing through my snaps I realised just how good the results were so when I spotted one on a certain auction site I put in a bid. It came today. In the box was an E1 body, an HLD2 with charger, a 14-45 and a 40-150 lens. All totally mint. Shutter count 5224. I paid 93 for the lot plus a tenner postage. To say I'm pleased would be a massive understatement. Happy new year one and all.

And there's me thinking I got a great buy, well done you .... that's an absolutely stonkingly good buy *yes

Kind regards, Simon