PDA

View Full Version : Photography vs Play?

Graham_of_Rainham
20th December 2016, 03:30 PM
If you were to be totally honest :rolleyes:

What percentage of time spent with your cameras is photography as opposed to the enjoyment of playing with them *???

Beagletorque
20th December 2016, 03:56 PM
Is there a difference?

Olybirder
20th December 2016, 03:59 PM
Slightly less than the amount of time which is spent carrying my camera about as opposed to actually taking photographs with it.

Ron

andym
20th December 2016, 04:03 PM
The ratio definitely changes when you have new toys to play with ;););)

Graham_of_Rainham
20th December 2016, 05:06 PM
Is there a difference?

Absolutely! I regularly "play" to develop new techniques, especially with legacy lenses, flash & lighting and control setups.

My "real" photography is mostly in the studio or streets when it's all about the image.

There's a lot of similarities to tinkering with cameras in the same way we play with computers in a completely unproductive, but very enjoyable way that simply provides a pastime and sometimes a discovery.

My latest discovery is that the image inverts when you hold the camera upside down. For years I have been turning it round to show models the image on the rear screen... :o

tomphotofx
20th December 2016, 05:08 PM
This is a tricky one to put a percentage on it, as I spend more time conjuring up an image in my mind then set about with the camera and lenses to bring the thought up image to fruition. Of course the moment you pick the camera up you are then introducing play into the equation anyway, this is a difficult situation all I do know for sure is whenever I pick the camera up it brings a smile to my face so photography make me happy.

Tom

Graham_of_Rainham
20th December 2016, 05:13 PM
I do know for sure is whenever I pick the camera up it brings a smile to my face so photography make me happy. Tom

Long may it be so...

shenstone
20th December 2016, 06:23 PM
If you are specific time WITH camera's then 90% Taking pictures. My tolerance to playing is limited to learning enough to go for a walk with it

If you include time on the PC afterwards fiddling with pictures, cataloguing, creating slideshows, AV's, website publishing, Blogging etc. then 90% not taking pictures

Regards
Andy

Naughty Nigel
20th December 2016, 10:53 PM
If you are specific time WITH camera's then 90% Taking pictures.

Time taking photographs is usually very short - about 1/60 to 1/1000 second in fact! :D

For me, time spent playing with digital cameras is fairly short. They are tools to do a job.

But time spent playing with film cameras is another matter. I could happily go out and take photographs with no film loaded, (and have done so accidentally), such is the joy of using these machines.

Ricoh
20th December 2016, 11:24 PM
% of time using the camera greatly exceeds playing with them. Digital cameras are like computers, and I hate playing with computers. I much prefer analogue cameras, or digital cameras that are as close as possible to the analogue origin.

David M
21st December 2016, 12:05 AM
My play time consists of the couple of minutes it takes to set the body up as a digital OM2. I use the menu system twice a year to change the time when the clocks change.

Graham_of_Rainham
21st December 2016, 10:20 AM
... digital cameras that are as close as possible to the analogue origin.

I do the majority of my shooting in Manual Mode. Very satisfying to get the results required by my own skills & knowledge.

Ricoh
21st December 2016, 11:22 AM
I do the majority of my shooting in Manual Mode. Very satisfying to get the results required by my own skills & knowledge.
Good for you! Artistic choice can not be devolved to a silicon chip.

I use u4/3 and a digital RF. The freedom offered by a manual camera has to be experienced to be appreciated. At first I struggled with manual focus and manual exposure (it does have an A mode but the half press and recompose is useless for street photography) but now I'm more than comfortable and enjoy the creative freedom offered.

Harold Gough
21st December 2016, 12:58 PM

Me too, mostly for macro or close-ups. I find that AP gives slower shutter speeds that ideal, mixing ambient and flash when I don't want it.

"Playing" plays no part in my photography. I may calibrate lenses and setups. There nearest I get is the annoying need to alter or reset camera settings.

Harold

OM USer
21st December 2016, 04:42 PM
Does "play" include fruitless hours changing settings to try and get the thing to focus on the one thing you are trying to take a picture of?

Naughty Nigel
21st December 2016, 04:52 PM
Does "play" include fruitless hours changing settings to try and get the thing to focus on the one thing you are trying to take a picture of?

I would call that frustration! :)

I rarely rely on autofocus unless I am in a position where I don't have a hand free. Manual focus is much more reliable - and fulfilling. *yes

Ricoh
21st December 2016, 04:55 PM

Lol

-------

Petrochemist
21st December 2016, 05:09 PM
The last photography I did was more playing than anything else.
In preparation for a club presentation I was shooting a series of quick & dirty macro test shots using a wide range of different techniques. Ignoring aperture changes I used 15 different set-ups only one of which was with a macro lens, and most managed considerably higher magnifications than the macro lens. I think the highest magnification would have been about 6X though most were ~1:1

If I hadn't been playing I doubt Id have just shot them on the bed (where I was out of the way) and I would have made use of focal stacking for the higher magnifications...

Graham_of_Rainham
21st December 2016, 05:12 PM

"Play" to me is working out ways to do things, be it; control, lighting, lens reversals or anything that is not actually taking the picture that is desired.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/AV_and_Remote_Lead.jpg

David M
21st December 2016, 10:11 PM
Me too, mostly for macro or close-ups. I find that AP gives slower shutter speeds that ideal, mixing ambient and flash when I don't want it.

"Playing" plays no part in my photography. I may calibrate lenses and setups. There nearest I get is the annoying need to alter or reset camera settings.

Harold

I don't miss having to calibrate a body to a specific film stock and then only shooting that emulsion with that body. IIRC my Velvia body was set to 40 ASA and my Provia 100 body was set to 125 ASA. Before that I had a body calibrated for each speed of Kodachrome.

Graham_of_Rainham
21st December 2016, 10:48 PM
I don't miss having to calibrate a body to a specific film stock and then only shooting that emulsion with that body. IIRC my Velvia body was set to 40 ASA and my Provia 100 body was set to 125 ASA. Before that I had a body calibrated for each speed of Kodachrome.

That's interesting, as I sometimes noticed variation in the density & colour of slide film, that I put down to processing variation.

David M
21st December 2016, 11:16 PM
That's interesting, as I sometimes noticed variation in the density & colour of slide film, that I put down to processing variation.

Some of the pro films used to be packed with a sheet specifying the actual speed of that batch. It was usually within a third of a stop on the speed marked on the packaging.

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd December 2016, 09:56 AM
Some of the pro films used to be packed with a sheet specifying the actual speed of that batch. It was usually within a third of a stop on the speed marked on the packaging.

I seem to recall that, plus we could use our light meter and a grey card to set the cameras meter. Also a lot was delt with in the darkroom, so small adjustments to the cameras settings fell by the wayside. This is akin to the trend of post processing RAW files in Lightroom rather than getting it right in camera.

I've just noticed your signature quote
It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

*chr

pdk42
22nd December 2016, 10:05 AM
If you were to be totally honest :rolleyes:

What percentage of time spent with your cameras is photography as opposed to the enjoyment of playing with them *???

Hmmmm - well, I guess unless photography is your profession, isn't it all play? I get pleasure from handling cameras, looking at them, taking pictures with them, post-processing the images, printing them, posting them to sites like this, etc etc.

It's called a hobby!

iso
22nd December 2016, 06:58 PM

And of course somtimes you had to keep them in the Fridge:eek:

Harold Gough
22nd December 2016, 07:16 PM

The main stock in the freezer. Ten minutes in a trouser pocket would get them up to operating temperature.

Harold

David M
22nd December 2016, 10:26 PM

You kept them in the freezer or fridge because the pro emulsions were aged in the factory before shipping. They were aged to give the most neutral colour balance, chilling or freezing slowed down any further colour shift.

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd December 2016, 11:06 PM
The main stock in the freezer. Ten minutes in a trouser pocket would get them up to operating temperature.

Harold

It's just as well we don't take this, comment out of context. :D

*chr

David M
23rd December 2016, 12:10 AM
It's just as well we don't take this, comment out of context. :D

*chr

Is that your spirit level for leveling the camera in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

Mdb2
23rd December 2016, 10:46 AM
About 95% photographing to 5% interfering. One thing I did find out this autumn whilst doing fungi photography, whilst checking ( chimping) a fungi image using the em1 mk1, was that you can overlay a voice message into the image which helps when your back on the PC. I cannot believe the amount of times I ignored this drop down window. This saves me purchasing and carrying a dictaphone marvellous!
Kind regards mike

Naughty Nigel
23rd December 2016, 10:57 AM

Harold

I still keep my films in the freezer. I have quite a lot of Velvia roll film in particular which expired in 2005, and some more from 2009, which is perfectly good when processed.

(I bought it as short-dated stock for a reasonable price.)

I keep exposed film in the fridge until I am ready to send it away to Peak Imaging for processing.

And yes, ten minutes in a trouser pocket is all it takes. :D

Harold Gough
23rd December 2016, 11:32 AM
you can overlay a voice message into the image which helps when your back on the PC. I cannot believe the amount of times I ignored this drop down window. This saves me purchasing and carrying a dictaphone marvellous!

So, you are kneeling down, facing a mushroom and talking (apparently) to it? :confused:

Must be some new religion! :D

Harold

Mdb2
23rd December 2016, 11:36 AM
Hi Harold, and merry Xmas.
Not quite, but your partly right usually in the middle of a wood somewhere talking effectively to the fairies:D
Kind regards mike

Walti
23rd December 2016, 11:50 AM
About 95% photographing to 5% interfering. One thing I did find out this autumn whilst doing fungi photography, whilst checking ( chimping) a fungi image using the em1 mk1, was that you can overlay a voice message into the image which helps when your back on the PC. I cannot believe the amount of times I ignored this drop down window. This saves me purchasing and carrying a dictaphone marvellous!
Kind regards mike

I hadn't picked up that the camera did that! - was only discussing the fact my brothers Nikon doesn't have this handy feature yesterday....

However having just had a play, it only appears to be available through Olympus Viewer, not Apple Photo or Lightroom... or have I missed something else?

Naughty Nigel
23rd December 2016, 12:06 PM
I hadn't picked up that the camera did that! - was only discussing the fact my brothers Nikon doesn't have this handy feature yesterday....

However having just had a play, it only appears to be available through Olympus Viewer, not Apple Photo or Lightroom... or have I missed something else?

I think you will find an MP3 file with the same name as the image file that it accompanies. MP3 files can be played in Windows Media Player amongst others.

Canon have had a similar system for years, going back to the PowerShot G3 if I recall.

Mdb2
23rd December 2016, 12:41 PM

yes indeed, I use aperture and iPhoto and that doesn't do it. The workaround is to Import into viewer 3. Where the photo is, highlight it, and then go to the photo number immediately below type in the name required after listening, then export to documents. Then switch to your chosen software ie Lightroom. Then import from documents. At the moment my software will not accept the em1mk 2 the same as most peoples software. Still easier than dictaphone as far as I am aware?
Kind regards mike

Mdb2
23rd December 2016, 12:46 PM
I think you will find an MP3 file with the same name as the image file that it accompanies. MP3 files can be played in Windows Media Player amongst others.

Canon have had a similar system for years, going back to the PowerShot G3 if I recall.

I have not noticed this on my 7dmk2 how would that work? Please could you explain? Would that work shooting in raw?
Kind regards mike

Naughty Nigel
23rd December 2016, 02:13 PM
I have not noticed this on my 7dmk2 how would that work? Please could you explain? Would that work shooting in raw?
Kind regards mike

On the PowerShot there was an option to record a short audio file (maximum 30 seconds I think) alongside the image file.

It didn't matter whether you were shooting in jpg, RAW or both. The audio file had the same name as the image file that it accompanied (just like jpg and RAW files do), but it had an WAV file extension.

If you used the Canon software the presence of an audio file was flagged by a link alongside the image.

However, the WAV file was entirely separate, and can be played on almost any type of computer including phones and iPads.

Now, I will admit that I haven't tried this on my OM-D, (I use video instead), but I am about to! :)

Graham_of_Rainham
23rd December 2016, 02:42 PM
... you can overlay a voice message into the image which helps when your back on the PC. I cannot believe the amount of times I ignored this drop down window. This saves me purchasing and carrying a dictaphone marvellous!
Kind regards mike *clap :tup

Once again a "Lounge" thread produces a useful nugget of info and inspiration.

*chr

Naughty Nigel
23rd December 2016, 02:42 PM
Now, I will admit that I haven't tried this on my OM-D, (I use video instead), but I am about to! :)

OK, on the OM-D E-M5 (and EM-1 I believe), press the OK button whilst viewing an image file.

You will then see a menu which includes a microphone icon. Select this, and Start to begin audio recording. Press again to stop.

Your audio will be recorded as a *.WAV file, but will have the same name as the image file that you were viewing.

So in my case I had three files as follows:

Name (SC138920).ORF
Name (SC138920).JPG
Name (SC138920).WAV

Thinking back, I believe the Canon files were also in WAV format, but I no longer have the camera to check it.

Walti
23rd December 2016, 05:22 PM
yes indeed, I use aperture and iPhoto and that doesn't do it. The workaround is to Import into viewer 3. Where the photo is, highlight it, and then go to the photo number immediately below type in the name required after listening, then export to documents. Then switch to your chosen software ie Lightroom. Then import from documents. At the moment my software will not accept the em1mk 2 the same as most peoples software. Still easier than dictaphone as far as I am aware?
Kind regards mike

The way I've just used it is the other way around from yours...

Lightroom is set up to do all the file management, so I import it there, then simply point Olympus viewer at the folder, and it displays the photos with a little musical note in the corner... works well, so just need to have two monitors so I can run Lightroom and Viewer side by side.... ;)

Naughty Nigel
23rd December 2016, 05:24 PM
I just right click on the WAV files in File Explorer to listen to them. :)

Mdb2
23rd December 2016, 11:26 PM
*clap :tup

Once again a "Lounge" thread produces a useful nugget of info and inspiration.

*chr

I will now take a bow:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Kind regards mike

Naughty Nigel
24th December 2016, 09:32 AM
Kind regards mike

Have you tried in on your 7D?

There is a rumour that the voice recorder function was dropped on later PowerShot cameras but I cannot be sure.

Mdb2
24th December 2016, 09:59 AM
Have you tried in on your 7D?

There is a rumour that the voice recorder function was dropped on later PowerShot cameras but I cannot be sure.

Hi NIGEL, no I haven't, I did read the instructions for the 7D2 but there was no indication of voice over whilst doing stills ( I could be wrong?) however it might be able to do it in movie mode creating a single shot whilst in movie mode might be a possibility? I expect its very much like the Panasonic. I am quite happy with my em1 for this feature.
As mentioned previously it was possible with the canon G3, I still have a G6 somewhere in the cupboard, I don't remember that it was available with that model or not? I will maybe check it out sometime the G6 has not seen the light of day for years.

Harold Gough
24th December 2016, 03:51 PM
Hi Harold, and merry Xmas.

Thanks Mike. You too. :)

Harold