PDA

View Full Version : Encryption

shenstone
19th December 2016, 01:20 PM
From CNET

https://www.cnet.com/news/filmmakers-and-journalists-to-camera-makers-add-encryption/

I can see it makes a lot of sense for some people. I've never been in a situation where I would need it. I guess for most people you copy to an encrypted hard drive ASAP and properly delete (overwrite) from the flash cards is the simplest answer

Regards
Andy

Graham_of_Rainham
20th December 2016, 01:59 PM
The moment you encrypt it makes you more "suspected" of trying to hide something. This opens up a whole new world of interest that you attract.

drmarkf
20th December 2016, 05:12 PM
True for the likes of thee and me, Graham, but the way state data snooping has been allowed now in the UK, led by Obersturmbannführer May, I understand why many news professionals would now consider it to to be a requirement.

These restrictions have little or no effect on those against whom they were aimed, but they do allow the digital ignoramuses in power to say they have 'done something', while actually just restricting human liberties.

They also reduce the defences of institutions like banks to hacking: if data is made accessible to government then it is also inevitably more accessible to the bad boys outside government (or, our government, anyway). Expect more data breaches.

Jim Ford
20th December 2016, 05:19 PM
The moment you encrypt it makes you more "suspected" of trying to hide something. This opens up a whole new world of interest that you attract.

The moment you seal a letter envelope it makes you more "suspected" of trying to hide something!

Encrypting is like sealing an envelope.

Jim

Graham_of_Rainham
20th December 2016, 06:39 PM
The moment you seal a letter envelope it makes you more "suspected" of trying to hide something!

Encrypting is like sealing an envelope.

Jim

True, but the order of magnitude in restricting access is considerable.

Systems are already available to encrypt files, without the need to do it in the camera.

shenstone
20th December 2016, 08:35 PM
Systems are already available to encrypt files, without the need to do it in the camera.

The letter cites the "critical period until it can be moved to other storage". As I said I can't think many would need this additional extra feature, but intersting that some feel they do

Naughty Nigel
20th December 2016, 10:42 PM
The letter cites the "critical period until it can be moved to other storage".

Give it ten years and our raw images will be unreadable anyway. :rolleyes: