PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Camera Update & E-M1 mkii

Gwyver
19th December 2016, 11:37 AM
Caveat Emptor.
Relying on the settings restore function may be bad for your health!
Just noticed this in the Pro-Service package description
6.5 Firmware Update and Camera Settings Backup

Where new camera firmware is available, it will be uploaded during the PRO Repair plan.
The repaired camera will be returned with the same settings as when delivered for the repair.

Please note that very occasionally the Firmware update and Camera Settings Backup cannot be performed in parallel. In this case OLYMPUS will reset your camera settings and deliver the repaired camera with default settings implemented.

This suggests that the same limitation will apply when a major F/W update is released. (i.e. the updater program won't be able to restore the camera settings).
I guess this should be obvious - because if a new feature which changes the menu structure is introduced by f/w update (as happened with the E-M1 on several occasions) some of the settings to be restored may be incompatible with the new structure.

Growltiger
28th February 2018, 04:39 PM
We just had the major firmware update to 2.0 and the automatic save and restore worked perfectly - for those who had updated their updater to the latest version, 2.1

CJJE
28th February 2018, 05:21 PM
Can't remember if my update software had been updated or not, but it gave me the option of saving all settings before updating the firmware, and then seemed to do it automatically anyway before updating the firmware.

All seemed to go smoothly for me :)

Now checked, my update software is v2.0 with no obvious way to update it to v2.1! And the Olympus website seems to lead me to an even older version v1.03!!

Where do you get the v2.1 software from please??

Olybirder
28th February 2018, 06:00 PM
Where do you get the v2.1 software from please??Mine has updated to 2.1.0. It was updated when I ran OV3. I am using a Mac, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Ron

Growltiger
28th February 2018, 06:05 PM
All you have to do is run Olympus Viewer 3. Go to Updates on the menu. Click on software updates.
After updating the updater to 2.1 you can run it from there as well.

CJJE
28th February 2018, 06:19 PM
Thanks, I was expecting it to check it was up to date when it checked the camera!

Bassman51
3rd March 2018, 01:35 AM
Thanks, I was expecting it to check it was up to date when it checked the camera!

That would be way too user friendly.