PDA

View Full Version : Pre Capture on EM1 Mk2

blu-by-u
19th December 2016, 04:38 AM
Was very impressed at the Launch of the EM1 Mk2. The item that stood out was that Precapture (ProCap) feature where up to 14 shots could be captured / selected.

That was the deciding factor that made me cut my other expenses and made cuts into my kids allowance. So when it was made available, I paid for it to be really disappointed on my first outing with it.

I had all the settings done, then slap on the Lumix 35-100/2.8. :eek: What happen :confused: Why is that ProCap grey out? Did I set something that disables it?

Went thru the whole menu, enabling that CD-A , the disable. Including a full camera reset...nothing still Grey out. Check the internet, nothing :confused:

While packing up my gears, I slap in that 12-40/2.8 :eek: That ProCap went back to selectable!!!! HUH???

Swap in that 35-100 again..:eek: it went grey again!!!:mad: OLYMPUS!!!! Why that dirty trick again:confused::mad::mad:

Why limit a camera feature to lenses?? You have done that in the past with limiting features to your Xd chip and many other features that is actually in camera. WHY WHY WHY!!!!!

Goon525
19th December 2016, 08:37 AM
Although I wouldn't have expressed it in exactly your words, I quite agree. I'm very much hoping Oly see sense with a firmware update - there's clearly no technical reason why it should be so. I'm keen to use Pro Capture (not Pre Capture, btw, even though that's part of what it does) with my Panny 100-400.

Beagletorque
19th December 2016, 09:37 AM
Perhaps the aperture control on the panies is not quite like the oly lenses? Also is it limited to the pro lenses only to?

Edit - Page 48 in the manual says only OLYMPUS m43 lenses.....

Ross the fiddler
19th December 2016, 09:59 AM
Why the anger & blame. If you buy a camera it is up to you to know what you're buying before you buy & to blame Olympus with "Why that dirty trick again" is totally unfair when they show clearly the limits with their features. See here: http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Interchangeable-Lens-Cameras/Olympus-OM-D/E-M1-Mark-II/Features/High-speed-Performance
Pro Capture

Pro Capture is a new feature that provides time-lag-free shooting so you can capture the precise, desired moment. The camera begins recording 20M images once the shutter button is half-pressed, and retains up to 14 of the most recent images when the shutter button is full-pressed. By capturing moments just prior to when the shutter is released, Pro Capture makes up for time lag caused by human reflexes and camera processing.
*When in Pro Capture mode, slower shutter speeds and flash cannot be used.
*In Pro Capture Sequential L, the mimimum aperture is f/8.
*Pro Capture can be used when an Olympus Micro Four Thirds lens is attached.

Mdb2
19th December 2016, 10:22 AM
That's very interesting, I have been using my siggy 500f4.5 via a metabones adapter(canon fit). Should be interesting to see if there is a workaround in the not to distant future for the em1mk2. I will delay purchase to wait and see. The siggy/ meta/ em1 works ok at present.
I purchased the OLY 300 pro (Black Friday) which as stated will work ok for pro capture. My intentions were to use this for DIF with the em1mk2.
I hope something will be done before May2017 ready for the new dragonfly season?
Please keep us all informed as to your experiences with your new em1mk2.
Kind regards mike

Mdb2
19th December 2016, 10:33 AM
Why the anger & blame. If you buy a camera it is up to you to know what you're buying before you buy & to blame Olympus with "Why that dirty trick again" is totally unfair when they show clearly the limits with their features. See here: http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Interchangeable-Lens-Cameras/Olympus-OM-D/E-M1-Mark-II/Features/High-speed-Performance

Thanks Ross, this is a quenuine question, have you any idea as to what is considered as an appropriate speed, at f8. Is it the cameras interpretation of the scene given the ISO settings etc etc.
Kind regards mike

Beagletorque
19th December 2016, 10:38 AM
Upto f8 not only f8...

Ricoh
19th December 2016, 10:47 AM
At f8 you're going to suffer from diffraction (Benvendetta informed us yesterday, the onset of diffraction is at f5.6 when using u4/3.)

Ross the fiddler
19th December 2016, 11:32 AM
Thanks Ross, this is a quenuine question, have you any idea as to what is considered as an appropriate speed, at f8. Is it the cameras interpretation of the scene given the ISO settings etc etc.
Kind regards mike

I dunno! I only (try to) read the material available. *shrug I'm really hoping I can go for a Mk II next year sometime. :rolleyes:

blu-by-u
20th December 2016, 08:10 AM
Honestly, I don't read manuals and I was impressed by the demonstration of that Procap and I honestly did not hear that it was for Oly Lenses ONLY. If it had been so, I would have delayed my purchase till a much later date.

BTW, This ProCap is not new. Casio had it in there line of P & S long time ago. It's called Pre Burst.

Ross the fiddler
20th December 2016, 08:56 AM
Honestly, I don't read manuals and I was impressed by the demonstration of that Procap and I honestly did not hear that it was for Oly Lenses ONLY. If it had been so, I would have delayed my purchase till a much later date.

BTW, This ProCap is not new. Casio had it in there line of P & S long time ago. It's called Pre Burst.

Yes, I know it isn't new, but the fact it can save JPEG & raw at full resolution at up 60 fps is most likely new though.

blu-by-u
21st December 2016, 02:23 AM
Yes, I know it isn't new, but the fact it can save JPEG & raw at full resolution at up 60 fps is most likely new though.

That, I totally agree. The processing engine of this new Mk2 is totally awesome to be able to handle all that. Now, please have it for all lenses..wait..maybe not all. as not every lens have AF...but then what's to stop that capture even if it's not in focus?

Phill D
21st December 2016, 12:01 PM
I know it's a bit off topic but can I pick up on the diffraction point. Surely it can't be as low as f5.6. I thought it was more like beyond f11. Oh and doesn't it vary with the lens used? better do some Googling I guess.

Beagletorque
21st December 2016, 12:15 PM
Check out some m43 lens reviews on lenstip, quite interesting technical stuff...