PDA

View Full Version : Focus Point Size

chphotos
17th December 2016, 04:25 PM
I took the plunge and picked an EM1 MK2 with 12-40 lens from SRS and have to say that so far so good. One thing that is puzzling me is not being able to choose a small AF point as I can on my EM1. On my EM1, if I have the AF points displayed and have a single AF point selected, I can press the info. button and then use the rear dial to change the size of the AF between the normal rectangle and small square. This does not seem to work on the MK2.

Does anyone know if this is just the way the MK2 works or have I missed somethng?

IainMacD
17th December 2016, 04:40 PM
Have you tried using the up/down keys to change the setting once you have pressed info?

chphotos
17th December 2016, 04:42 PM
I have and that just moves the AF point around.

Gwyver
17th December 2016, 04:47 PM
I asked the Olympus rep about the small AF point focus option - at one of the MkII preview days last month. He told me that this feature was no longer needed because all of the 121 AF points used PDAF sensing (in addition to the CDAF) in all AF modes and this provided the precision previously afforded by the small point feature.

DavyG
17th December 2016, 04:48 PM
I took the plunge and picked an EM1 MK2 with 12-40 lens from SRS and have to say that so far so good. One thing that is puzzling me is not being able to choose a small AF point as I can on my EM1. On my EM1, if I have the AF points displayed and have a single AF point selected, I can press the info. button and then use the rear dial to change the size of the AF between the normal rectangle and small square. This does not seem to work on the MK2.

Does anyone know if this is just the way the MK2 works or have I missed somethng?

This appears to be the way the Mark 2 works.

It's one of the differences between the E-M1 and the Mark 2 that I don't understand yet.

Dave

chphotos
17th December 2016, 04:50 PM
Chris, thanks for your reply which explains why I couldn't find the option.

Dave, I'm starting to find small differences between the two which adds to the 'fun' in playing with a new camera.

blu-by-u
19th December 2016, 03:51 AM
Seems Oly needs a kick to enable back that smaller AF settings.

Ross the fiddler
19th December 2016, 06:45 AM
Seems Oly needs a kick to enable back that smaller AF settings.

Why? *shrug

I don't think it should be necessary now that all AF is done with cross type PD-AF (with CD-AF) which has negated the need for a small CD-AF area, since PD-AF will focus on the closest subject while CD-AF focussed on the contrasting detail that could be the background if that focus area was larger than the subject.
To quote Olympus Australia site http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Interchangeable-Lens-Cameras/Olympus-OM-D/E-M1-Mark-II/Features/High-speed-Performance
121-point All-cross-type On-chip Phase Detection AF
This E-M1 Mark II is equipped with an 11 x 11 121-point All-cross-type sensor. With an AF area that covers 75% vertically and 80% horizontally, subjects can be tracked across a wide range. All 121 points are cross-type focus points, making subject detection very accurate.
http://www.olympus.com.au/getattachment/Products/Interchangeable-Lens-Cameras/Olympus-OM-D/E-M1-Mark-II/Features/High-speed-Performance/High-speed-AF-system/000084708.jpg.aspx?lang=en-AU
121-point All-cross-type Sensor
Actual images are different from the images displayed in the viewfinder.

blu-by-u
19th December 2016, 07:03 AM
I don't see that little red cross. Unless there is something I did not do to get it to work.

Ross the fiddler
19th December 2016, 07:10 AM
I don't see that little red cross. Unless there is something I did not do to get it to work.

No, as the small fine print at the bottom indicates, but that image is showing a representation of the sensor cross point being in the centre of the focus area.

Go & take a photo (with the E-M1 Mk II) of an object that is small in the frame that is in front of a detailed background & tell me if it focuses correctly or not.

BTW, also check (chimp) in camera if the focus was actually on the intended target or if it (or you) moved.

TonyR
19th December 2016, 10:51 AM
If you want a smaller focus box you can always use the magnify option to get an up to 14x view. Works very well for insect or feather detail.

Ross the fiddler
19th December 2016, 01:10 PM
If you want a smaller focus box you can always use the magnify option to get an up to 14x view. Works very well for insect or feather detail.

I get the feeling that it would default to using CD-AF in those circumstances, since it can be used anywhere on the screen (within the AF area of the total screen) & may not align with one of the 121 cross type PD-AF points.

With all this angst from some over "the loss of the small AF target", I have to ask, is it actually showing as a problem in using the camera, because each time it seems that with the S-AF (& C-AF) that it is being overlooked that the E-M1 & the E-M1 Mk II with M4/3's lenses focus differently (but always PD-AF for 4/3's lenses) & the E-M1 Mk II should now be basically treated like a DSLR while the E-M1 behaves differently when only using CD-AF, requiring that "small auto focus area" for pinpoint subject targets. The Mk II I think would be the same when using the small AF area with the Magnified View method though.

Sorry if my my description isn't straight forward & clear, but I hope in my ramblings my point is understood.

TonyR
19th December 2016, 01:50 PM
I get the feeling that it would default to using CD-AF in those circumstances, since it can be used anywhere on the screen (within the AF area of the total screen) & may not align with one of the 121 cross type PD-AF points.

That would be true.

BTW I am finding the C-AF so good that I use it with single focus point instead of S-AF. You get the advantage of PDAF picking out the nearer subject and can always switch to CDAF if required by using magnify.

briang
22nd December 2016, 09:35 PM
I don't think it should be necessary now that all AF is done with cross type PD-AF (with CD-AF) which has negated the need for a small CD-AF area, since PD-AF will focus on the closest subject while CD-AF focussed on the contrasting detail that could be the background if that focus area was larger than the subject.

I'd really appreciate some amplification of this! I'm more birder than photographer and currently use an E-M10 with 75-300 II, mainly for flying raptors. I have captured a few images I'm pleased with but these are always birds in good light against a blue sky. Almost invariably when I try and photograph a bird flying across a terrestrial background, the camera will focus on background vegetation, not the bird - even if the smallest AF square is over the bird. If the statement quoted above is valid, I have found the cause of all those focus failures! Is it really the case that PD-AF, as in the E-M1 II, will try and focus on the closer object? Any guidance much appreciated!
Brian

Ross the fiddler
22nd December 2016, 10:33 PM
I'd really appreciate some amplification of this! I'm more birder than photographer and currently use an E-M10 with 75-300 II, mainly for flying raptors. I have captured a few images I'm pleased with but these are always birds in good light against a blue sky. Almost invariably when I try and photograph a bird flying across a terrestrial background, the camera will focus on background vegetation, not the bird - even if the smallest AF square is over the bird. If the statement quoted above is valid, I have found the cause of all those focus failures! Is it really the case that PD-AF, as in the E-M1 II, will try and focus on the closer object? Any guidance much appreciated!
Brian

Yes, this is why the E-M1 Mk II will shine in this area. Unfortunately, the E-M10 (& all the other non PD-AF models) struggle with in this regard because of the CD-AF way of focussing. The detail in the AF box is what it focusses on & why it is necessary to restrict that box (area) to the actual subject or else it might focus on the background. This can be an advantage if the subject is a bird in a bushy tree where it will ignore any small branches in front & still focus on the bird.

briang
23rd December 2016, 12:51 PM
Ross, many thanks for this confirmation. This could explain a lot. Almost the only success I've had when trying to photograph birds flying against vegetation have been Short-eared Owls in low winter sun; I suspect the pale face with bright yellow eye and/or contrasty underwing might have tempted the focus algorithm to ignore the background just for a moment. Guess I need to convince the sensible half of my brain that purchase of an E-M1 II really is justifiable! Apologies for this minor diversion from the OP topic.
Brian

blu-by-u
26th December 2016, 11:15 AM
Either I have done something wrong, I find the AF not as fast as the mk1. Took the mk2 to HK and many a time i feel the af just don't work. I am getting shots that are totally off when I press the shutter button and many a times, totally oof shots.

Ross the fiddler
26th December 2016, 11:21 AM
Either I have done something wrong, I find the AF not as fast as the mk1. Took the mk2 to HK and many a time i feel the af just don't work. I am getting shots that are totally off when I press the shutter button and many a times, totally oof shots.

Do the focus points align with the intended target when reviewing the images in Play Back (thumbnail view with details)? If not, then that may give you the reason.

blu-by-u
27th December 2016, 12:04 AM
On multi af matrix, sometimes there is no respond. I switched to single center af and i still have the same unresponsive focus. The camera needs several press before it focus. Seems like the mk1 previously.

Did I missed something? The blinking af don't show on anymore.:(

Ross the fiddler
27th December 2016, 01:58 AM
On multi af matrix, sometimes there is no respond. I switched to single center af and i still have the same unresponsive focus. The camera needs several press before it focus. Seems like the mk1 previously.

Did I missed something? The blinking af don't show on anymore.:(

If you want to discuss AF issues then I think you need to show an image of the scene you're having difficulty with because I do not think other's comments reflect what you're saying. Also, with what lens are you having the most difficulty with?

blu-by-u
30th December 2016, 08:20 AM
Uncle Ross, I am wondering how to word my problems with the AF on this MK2. I had the 12-40/2.8 mounted most of the time and the AF is just not a sharp as in my earlier complain and it's also not a responsive. I tried getting that CDAF but it cannot seem to get that multi blinking as rectangles.
I have now set it back to smack center and reframing as I have done..that AF still not as responsive. I am only wondering if I have done something wrong or if my camera faulty?
The Lens works perfectly with the MK1. So it's not the lens. What should I be looking at in the menu? What should I try?

Ross the fiddler
30th December 2016, 10:29 AM
Uncle Ross, I am wondering how to word my problems with the AF on this MK2. I had the 12-40/2.8 mounted most of the time and the AF is just not a sharp as in my earlier complain and it's also not a responsive. I tried getting that CDAF but it cannot seem to get that multi blinking as rectangles.
I have now set it back to smack center and reframing as I have done..that AF still not as responsive. I am only wondering if I have done something wrong or if my camera faulty?
The Lens works perfectly with the MK1. So it's not the lens. What should I be looking at in the menu? What should I try?

Can you please show us an image where it is difficult to focus? On the E-M1 I had the (DSLR) ZD14-54 II f2.8-3.5 lens & trying to photograph across the valley where it was a little hazy & indistinct & it just struggled to find focus with PD-AF. I pointed the E-M5 at it with the 12-50 EZ lens on & it just locked on straight away. The E-M1 struggled with only horizontal PD-AF sensing (needing vertical detail), but the E-M1 Mk II has cross PD-AF & with CD-AF, but I have not had any chance to try the camera for myself so it is a little hard for me to know what is really happening with you. Mind you, on the E-M1 (& even more on the E-M5) the Pro 40-150 lens with TC can hunt too if there isn't sufficient contrast detail (using CD-AF).
Let's see one of your troublesome scenes with the Mk II (yes, I know the E-M1 works OK).

blu-by-u
31st December 2016, 08:36 AM
Finally for something that I could share.
The AF is set to single AF and right smack in the middle. Notice the leaves in the background are super sharp.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/581/31960399976_0bf6a2d805_c.jpg

Subsequent shots are however sharp.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/446/31960396696_03b993198e_c.jpg

Even when the subject decided to do a hide and seek.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/706/31623622120_3ca7689e3a_c.jpg

Lens used 12-40 @ 40 mm, F2.8, 1/160, ISO400

brasche
1st January 2017, 12:24 AM
I've too have noticed the same focus behavior as demonstrated in the uploaded photos. It seems harder to achieve precise, tack sharp focus with my new E-M1.2. The first photo is clearly back focused. I've read elsewhere that new focusing algorithms were used in the E-M1.2, which look for the sharpest vertical with in the focus rectangle, and sometimes that can be on the edge of the target rectangle. Although much slower to acquire focus, my previous E-M5 body is better at narrow focus targeting. This is an annoyance for a pixel peeper like me who frequently shoots at wide open aperture.

I was performing a few CAF and CAF+TR tests with my wife riding towards me on he bicycle. Sometimes the E-M1.2 would focus on her earring for and entire sequence. Because she was starting from a far distance, there was no way I could control on what feature of my wife's face the camera would choose, and facial recognition wouldn't automatically activate. I switched to 5-spot and 9-spot thinking it might average multiple focus points, which it might be doing, but that just widened the choices so that it would "lock" focus on the handle bar or front reflector. I was using the M.Zuiko 40-150mm zoomed to 150.

c12402
8th February 2017, 03:56 PM
Have a look at page 41 in the em1.2 user manual. It explains how to it better than in previous models.

As far as I've seen in my previous em5, min size of small box corresponds to a 14x magnification. This is the very same value new em1.2 have in single point.

Eric8255
20th February 2017, 11:09 PM
Press info on back of camera

touch screen to bring up shooting option - green square.

Touch screen which will bring up slider/scale on right

Touch the size required

This is not a menu option

Eric

Eric8255
20th February 2017, 11:21 PM
Focus - birds in flight above - not surprised. EVFs have a refresh rate thus you see the bird an instant late but enough for it to have left AF area.

DSLR's with optical viewfinder better for this - and even then possibly some anticipation/and definitely motor drive is needed.

Eric

blu-by-u
21st February 2017, 03:37 AM
Focus - birds in flight above - not surprised. EVFs have a refresh rate thus you see the bird an instant late but enough for it to have left AF area.

DSLR's with optical viewfinder better for this - and even then possibly some anticipation/and definitely motor drive is needed.

Eric

That's is why they have this ProCap option. The camera actually start capturing when you 1/2 press. BUT that only works with Olympus micro fourthirds lenses. If you have the older fourthird, sorry, it does not work:mad:. If you have the Sigma Bigma, sorry, it does not work:mad:, if you have any of the other native micro fourthird, it does not work:mad: and if it's manual, it does not work:mad:.

Eric8255
21st February 2017, 01:09 PM
I see how that could work but there are a couple of issues.

If you are half pressing and the camera starts capturing then - it would be best to have an enormous card.

Second apart from the Oly 300 f/4 which is big money there do not appear to be suitable lenses and I would not think an f/4 (essentially f/5.6) 35mm equivilent is fast enough at least on a m 4/3 system.

I think it is horses for courses - for sport (I don't shoot birds) or where I want highest quality I use DSLR - street and general the Olympus.