PDA

View Full Version : Remote release

Goon525
16th December 2016, 06:16 PM
I'd hoped that switching back to a standard jack for the remote release meant one could use almost anything. However, I've just tried the Pixel RC201, which works on a Panny G6, and I'm afraid it won't trigger the EM1.2. Has anyone tried anything else yet?

birdboy
16th December 2016, 06:39 PM
When it comes to remote triggering on the EM1's I have always used OIShare via a tab or my android phone. Just tried the phone with the MKII and it works fine. Just over a year ago I brought a cheep tab just to use as a remote trigger and have never looked back. I have a wired remote for my E5 but its not a patch on using a tab. You can even touch the tab to focus so none of that prefocus stuff you have to go through with a wired remote. If you do a lot of remote shutter control I cannot recommend more strongly dropping the wire and going for wireless control.

ashtonsd
16th December 2016, 07:21 PM
I puchased a Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch (cost anything from £15-£20 - I paid £14.99 at Amazon) and confirmed it works great with my E-M1 Mark II today.

... a lot cheaper than the £70 Olympus version!

Goon525
16th December 2016, 09:38 PM
Thanks, Steve. While I'll be quite happy to use the App on my iPhone, there will be times (battery life protection etc) when a mechanical release will be useful.

drmarkf
16th December 2016, 10:05 PM
Good to know. Can I check that it'll trigger an HDR series?

Another trouble with a phone app, of course, is that in really cold weather it's a right pain to take your gloves off, or even to pull off a mitten finger. That is one advantage of a press-button trigger which are mostly usable through thick gloves after a bit of practice.

Wreckdiver
16th December 2016, 10:24 PM
Interesting to see that Olympus have moved from their proprietary remote plug to a conventional one. That opens up interesting possibilities to control shutter from custom designed electronic triggers without having to butcher a genuine lead *chr

Steve

Grumpy Hec
17th December 2016, 08:57 AM
I puchased a Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch (cost anything from £15-£20 - I paid £14.99 at Amazon) and confirmed it works great with my E-M1 Mark II today.

... a lot cheaper than the £70 Olympus version!

Do you know if that's C1 or C3 cable? The reason I ask is that I'm trying to determine which cable to buy for my existing Hahnel Giga Pro T. They do a C1 & C3 pack so if your experiment can help determine which it is that would be marvelous.

Thanks

Hec

Grumpy Hec
17th December 2016, 09:05 AM
We seem to have two threads on the same topic here.

I started this one, http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43687, but then this one came along. I suggest we switch to this to save unnecessary duplication and confusion.

A distillation of the two threads seem to point to Canon and/or generic compatibility, via a 2.5mm socket, with just the need to see if it's C1 or C3.

I have also sent an note to Olympus support asking for information so it will be interesting to see what they come back with. The lack of published information is a bit odd.

Hec

ThomD
17th December 2016, 11:57 AM
I'd hoped that switching back to a standard jack for the remote release meant one could use almost anything. However, I've just tried the Pixel RC201, which works on a Panny G6, and I'm afraid it won't trigger the EM1.2. Has anyone tried anything else yet?

I had the same problem - my Panny compatible cord did not work. A generic Canon compatible one did. I don't like how the android app takes over the camera completely, so that's not a great solution for me. Here is the wired remote I confirmed does work.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A83H2XC

Goon525
17th December 2016, 09:17 PM
The only problem with that solution, ThomD, for those of us in the UK, is that that product is only available from abroad with a chunky postage charge. Anyone spotted a cheap UK solution that just works?

ThomD
17th December 2016, 09:45 PM
The only problem with that solution, ThomD, for those of us in the UK, is that that product is only available from abroad with a chunky postage charge. Anyone spotted a cheap UK solution that just works?

Sorry. I didn't mean to recommend that specific model. Only meant to show that any generic Canon compatible remote should work. Something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camera-Remote-Controls/Emgreat-Wired-Remote-Shutter-Release/B00JET4PWW/

Goon525
17th December 2016, 10:06 PM
Appreciate your continued interest, Thom. I'm just a little nervous from Panny experience where (with a similar plug to this) one cheaply worked in the G6 not G5. Another worked in both. But at the price of the one you suggest, the risk is probably worth taking.

raichea
19th December 2016, 10:03 AM
The connections from a remote are very simple - just two switches, one for half-press, one for full-press. If a particular version isn't working correctly, the most likely problem is that the connections are reversed - that is, the remote is closing the full-press switch before the half-press switch. If the camera is set to prevent shutter release if focus hasn't been achieved, then it's likely that the remote will not appear to work at all. A fairly straightforward bit of rewiring should solve the problem.

Grumpy Hec
21st December 2016, 09:34 AM
After feedback from Hähnel, swift response from them, it looks like it is a Canon C1 cable. The Hähnel cable pack includes C1 and C3 cable but as the C1 is the 2.5mm plug we can reasonably deduce it's C1.

I am waiting for a cable pack to arrive and I'll confirm that when I've tested with my Giga Pro T.

So any remote switch that supports Canon C1 and the cameras that use that format should work.

Interestingly I did also send of a support request to Olympus asking the question but got no response. Hahnel on the other hand were almost by return.

Hec

Goon525
21st December 2016, 10:28 AM
Thanks, Hec. You've inspired me to buy one for just over four quid off eBay. Fingers crossed it works, but not a huge gamble.

Bengeo
21st December 2016, 01:38 PM
Many thanks to ashtonsd for his Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch tip - it works very well.

Grumpy Hec
21st December 2016, 03:40 PM
After feedback from Hähnel, swift response from them, it looks like it is a Canon C1 cable. The Hähnel cable pack includes C1 and C3 cable but as the C1 is the 2.5mm plug we can reasonably deduce it's C1.

I am waiting for a cable pack to arrive and I'll confirm that when I've tested with my Giga Pro T.

So any remote switch that supports Canon C1 and the cameras that use that format should work.

Hec

The cable arrived and I can confirm that it works so Canon C1 is it.

Olympus did respond telling me about the Oly RM-CB2 which I knew about and wasn't the question I asked. Never mind :)

Hec

Goon525
24th December 2016, 11:21 AM
I have just received the following for £4.09, purchased via eBay, and have confirmed that it works.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121878853648?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT