PDA

View Full Version : EM1 MKII CAF with Bigma

birdboy
16th December 2016, 03:43 PM
My very early impressions of the the EM1 MKII were very encouraging particularly in the CAF department. Today was a very grey miserable looking day for photography. Having been impressed with the MKII with the 300mm pro lens I though I would give the Sigma 50-500mm a go not expecting much as normally days like today I would not think of using it with the EM1 (mk1) or the E5. I have to say it surpassed my expectations not only was it locking on to focusing it was pretty fast at doing it. Only a few times did I have the rattle of the lens focus mechanism and then it was for only about 2-3 cycles. I did have it zoom all the way to close focus at one point but then putting the lens into AF limiter 50-999m solved that. The procapture is greyed out but Oly did say that only works with Oly lenses. The CAF+tracking really does seem to work and on the bigma as well. I only had limited view from my back garden and then all that flys around here are magpies, pigeons and some distant black headed gulls. So using CAF + Tracking at 500mm in shutter priority about 1/500sec all hand held. I also set the camera image stabilization to 500mm for the lens. I was able to bring up the lens focus and fire a burst of frames while tracking the birds in the view finder eyepiece. Looking through the sequence I could see that often the first frames were out of focus not by much but the following frames were in focus.

I have done this with my other cameras and have come nowhere near getting many images in focus. For me this new camera has lots of potential and will bring back the excitement of trying to pan moving objects and getting your objects somewhere near in focus.

I am reluctant to post the images because they lack quality which is more down to the resolving power of the bigma in poor light than the camera body performance. They are however in focus as best as I think you can get given the lighting. I have posted one here and there are some others in my gallery.

To me this bodes well for using FT lenses when the light is much better.

I think this image best illustrates how much better the EM1 MKII is at CAF + Tracking. I pickup framing this pigeon as it flew over my roof it then flew behind a tree that was about 10m in front of me, but MKII continued to focus. The image has some auto tone applied and 30/50 noise reduction, it has not been croped either.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/PC160192-4.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/91393)

Olybirder
16th December 2016, 03:58 PM
That is encouraging John. I would be interested to hear how you get on with the 50-200 SWD in your gear list (assuming you still own it.)

Ron

birdboy
16th December 2016, 04:07 PM
I do still have it Ron and will give it a try this weekend.

Wee man
16th December 2016, 06:29 PM
Glad to hear you are getting the same results with the Bigma as I did on the test day.
The 50 : 200 was fast to focus and as good if not better than when I used it on my E5.
That is what changed my mind and put the mk2 on my wish list.
I am contacting camera shops for sales of my 4/3 kit.
The Panasonic 100 : 400 was great on the new body.

Wee Man

raichea
16th December 2016, 06:49 PM
Haven't yet tried the 100-400 on the Mk II so this is good news

birdboy
19th December 2016, 11:10 PM
That is encouraging John. I would be interested to hear how you get on with the 50-200 SWD in your gear list (assuming you still own it.)

Ron

Light still dull over weekend but did do some more playing with gulls and pigeons. The 50-200SWD lens performed just as good rapid focus capture with grey subjects in poor light, I just cannot wait for some decent light to give this a proper go. I am settling on Low silent drive with C-AF+TR and Rls Priority C Off.

Here is one of the statics bird images with the 50-200swd. Minor processing some noise reduction but no cropping. 1/640sec f3.5 ISO1000.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/PC190064.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/91449)

Olybirder
19th December 2016, 11:24 PM
Thanks for doing that John. It sounds promising. I am quite happy with the S/AF performance on my Mk 1 but I will be interested to hear how the Mk 2 handles C/AF in better light.

Ron