PDA

View Full Version : We're all in it together. POLITICAL

Wally
16th December 2016, 12:51 PM
Small change found down behind an EU sofa... 300 million

https://www.dezeen.com/2016/12/16/european-union-headquarters-offices-curvaceous-glowing-lantern-glass-box-brussels-belgium/

Wonder what will now become of the 'other' EU office block in Strasbourg???

:eek: After a prolonged battle, this puts my 4 figure Xmas pressie from HMRC to shame. *yes

jdal
16th December 2016, 03:12 PM
Your point being??? I'd be rather more concerned about, for example, the billions being handed out by us taxpayers to private train companies (here (https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jun/10/truth-richard-branson-virgin-rail-profits?CMP=share_btn_fb)) in subsidies. Or inheritance tax cuts. Or corporation tax cuts. I doubt I think that 300 million on an office is a good idea, but this reporting is nowt more than a spot of Euro-bashing to get the plebs riled up so they don't notice the large-scale robbery going on at home. All IMHO of course, never heard of the lot publishing the report.

Naughty Nigel
16th December 2016, 03:14 PM
Small change found down behind an EU sofa... 300 million

https://www.dezeen.com/2016/12/16/european-union-headquarters-offices-curvaceous-glowing-lantern-glass-box-brussels-belgium/

Wonder what will now become of the 'other' EU office block in Strasbourg???

:eek: After a prolonged battle, this puts my 4 figure Xmas pressie from HMRC to shame. *yes

Well it looks as if the number of EU states could be shrinking over the next few years so they may find themselves with several under utilised office blocks.

Perhaps our parliament could use them whilst the House of Commons is renovated?

Wally
16th December 2016, 05:38 PM
Your point being??? I

My point being that other projects regards EU citizens welfare could have been funded to relieve many aspect of ordinary lives... ie., us plebs. In my mind it is just another reminder of why many throughout the EU are so disenchanted.

As for EU bashing...

Extract taken fron a French newspsper... Can EU Survive its "Successes": 7-Year Recession, Jobless Youth, Migrant Flood, Greek 'Coup'?

*Three senior European Union figures have warned recently that the tensions of the past year are straining the EU to breaking point and a collapse of the project is possible... EU President Donald Tusk, Parliament President Martin Schulz and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker all spoke in calamitous terms of their concerns for the future of the EU project.

The farce of the EU travelling circus (circa 2014) --> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/10565686/The-farce-of-the-EU-travelling-circus.html

In the small print, France has the power to veto any move which they managed to get set in stone. Given the huge dosh injection into Alsace/Strasbourg they will never relent. Which quite possibly means the circus will continue to come to town.

As for Branson & Co. etc., you won't get an argument from me. They just add insult to injury. Still, not to worry. when we all lose our jobs I'm sure there will be little need for trains, boats or planes. As someone previously put it quite succinctly... get on yer bike. ;)

wanderer
16th December 2016, 08:10 PM
Is it just me but the working chamber reminds me of the war room (with the lights on) in Dr. Strangelove. :D

George Dorn
16th December 2016, 10:38 PM
300 million - that's almost enough to build another hospital!

Ian
16th December 2016, 10:42 PM
How much is being spent on renovating Westminster Palace, Buckingham Palace. etc.?

How much money was spent, in relative terms, on all the lovely buildings many of us now cherish all over the world? Where did that money come from?

Do we not want to live in a world with great architecture?

Is the point of our existence merely to survive?

Ian

Naughty Nigel
16th December 2016, 10:56 PM
How much is being spent on renovating Westminster Palace, Buckingham Palace. etc.?

How much money was spent, in relative terms, on all the lovely buildings many of us now cherish all over the world? Where did that money come from?

Do we not want to live in a world with great architecture?

Is the point of our existence merely to survive?

Ian

Sadly much great architecture was lost in the 1950's, 1960's and even the 1970's before we learned to appreciate it.

In relative terms huge amounts had been invested in building our railway network, much of which was put beyond use by our government in the Beeching cuts of 1963. We are now being taxed for not using the very same public transport they took away from us (despite much public protest)!

I wonder, is it any coincidence that the Transport Minister at the time (Sir Ernest Marples) made his fortune from building roads?

Harold Wilson promised to reverse the railway closures if elected in 1964, but in the event only saved one line in Wales, which happened to pass trough two key Labour marginal constituencies.

Somehow I don't think the EU has a monopoly on corruption and mutual back scratching. :rolleyes:

Wee man
17th December 2016, 09:00 AM
Corruption? Anyone want help with a heating system you can get 1.60 for every 1 you spend on fuel for the next twenty years!

Wee Man

Naughty Nigel
17th December 2016, 05:55 PM
Corruption? Anyone want help with a heating system you can get 1.60 for every 1 you spend on fuel for the next twenty years!

Wee Man

I didn't quite catch that on the news. How does it work?

Wally
17th December 2016, 06:40 PM
I didn't quite catch that on the news. How does it work?

This may be the item concerned --> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38329790

Naughty Nigel
17th December 2016, 09:23 PM
This may be the item concerned --> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38329790

Thank you Wally. Looks like an interesting scam!

One has to ask why any elected representative would want to keep such a scheme going?

I liked the quote from Arlene Foster that "Jonathan Bell used his physical bulk" during their confrontation."

Looking at the photographs I wouldn't think Arlene Foster was that easily intimidated. :)