PDA

View Full Version : Freak Accident

Harold Gough
15th December 2016, 09:15 AM
About 15 minutes ago, in the middle of the rush hour, by wife and I were startled by a very loud metalic clank. It sounded to me like a huge manhole cover being dropped into place.

I ran out to the road, in case it was an RTA. Two houses away, to my left, a local single-decker (school?) bus had pulled over. To my right, a similar distance away, and about 6 feet from the road, a large dark object lay.

The object was the grill off a standard gutter storm drain. The rear wheel of the bus had flipped it out, wrecking its tyre.

According to my understanding of physics, a heavy bus on a heavy drain cover means the cover is held down.

Harold

Imageryone
15th December 2016, 09:33 AM
" An exception to every rule! " So my old science teacher drummed into us :)

Just glad no-one was hurt.

Wally
15th December 2016, 10:55 AM
Unless some ****head(s) has been tampering with it. We had one removed a few weeks ago and, fortunately, it was spotted and coned off. Strangely. the cover was never found??? Price of scrap must be very tempting these days.

PeterBirder
15th December 2016, 11:51 AM
If the state of the road drains in your area is anything like those round here there there is a high probability that the drain had partially sunk/collapsed. A heavy bus landing on it would complete the collapse and the tyre drop into the hole and puncture before flicking the grill out behind it.

Loup Garou
15th December 2016, 04:07 PM
According to my understanding of physics, a heavy bus on a heavy drain cover means the cover is held down.

Harold I am trying to bet a mental picture of this but if the drain cover was not seated properly and the bus tyre and gone over it at an angle pressurising the part over the hole, the drain could then be flipped over.

Unless of course, there was a workman coming out of the drain at the time. Did you look for any squashed body parts? :eek::D

Harold Gough
15th December 2016, 05:56 PM
Unless of course, there was a workman coming out of the drain at the time. Did you look for any squashed body parts? :eek::D

No temporary traffic lights or cones, so no workman. QED!

Harold

Magus
15th December 2016, 10:49 PM
Unless some ****head(s) has been tampering with it. We had one removed a few weeks ago and, fortunately, it was spotted and coned off. Strangely. the cover was never found??? Price of scrap must be very tempting these days.
Round here the grids are gradually being replaced with Heavy Duty Plastics as they are being stolen and weighed in for scrap :(