PDA

View Full Version : Any E-system cameras support tethered shooting?

dkayuk
20th January 2009, 09:10 PM
Hi all

OK, I didn't really know the word "tethered" until yesterday!!

It means (I think) to have the camera connected to a PC (possibly through a wireless device) and when you shoot the picture it magically pops up straight away in the workflow software. I've seen this on TV but I've let to believe that it is quite an expensive system to set up.

As I understand from other sources, some Canon DSLRs have native support for this and even the software to do this comes on the Canon CD.

Is this feature possible with E-system cameras and what does one need to set it up?

I've had a quick nose-around the web without much luck. I own an E-520 but would be interested if, for example E-3 or even the E-30 supports it.

I am more curious than eager to buy, but it'd still be interesting to find out a bit about it.

Feel free to use geek computer-language if you wish. I've been a programmer for 15 years - I really won't mind!

thx

DK

peak4
20th January 2009, 09:20 PM
Hi DK, worth having a browse around here
http://developer.olympus.com/cameras_24.html

Also Oly Studio apparently is usable too, but I'm too stingy to buy a copy.:rolleyes:

joeletx
20th January 2009, 10:20 PM
It means (I think) to have the camera connected to a PC (possibly through a wireless device) and when you shoot the picture it magically pops up straight away in the workflow software....Is this feature possible with E-system cameras and what does one need to set it up?
DK

You can "tether" any E-system camera through USB cable and the Olympus Studio version 1 or 2 software. The trick is finding an USB cable long enough (10 ft - 20 ft) for the hookup. You can try out the Studio software for thirty days and see if you like it. I paid $99.00 USD two years ago and have been shooting straight into my Laptop harddisk numerous times. Since the data is transferred through the USB 2.0 cable, the computer sometime could not keep up and Studio 2.0 only show the last pictures captured before I stopped. All the pictures are in the hard disk however. The program just show only the last one shot. You can cycle up and down to see the results of your shootings with all setting shown as well. I used my E-500 and E-3 for the shooting project.

Archphoto
20th January 2009, 11:35 PM
Just an addition to the above: it might be easier to find an USB extension cord for that lengh.

Peter:)

Dogcow
21st January 2009, 07:09 AM
For those on a Mac: unfortunately Aperture does not support tethering with the E-3, as it does with some Canikon cameras. My solution: shoot tethered in Oly Studio and get them into Aperture in real time by means of a smart folder.

For the cable length: Please be advised that the maximum length of an USB 2.0 cable should be 5 meters (16.4 ft) by design. An extension cord will probably have a negative effect on the signal quality so with an extension cord you should probably aim for a shorter length.

You can read the USB 2.0 specifications on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB).

MarkVarley
21st January 2009, 12:16 PM
My E300 does, I was under the impression they all do from the E1.

Rod Souter
21st January 2009, 07:41 PM
You can get 5m usb extension cables at http://www.Solwise.co.uk

:)

Rod

dkayuk
22nd January 2009, 07:17 AM
thx to everyone for their replies - very informative and not as expensive to set up as I thought.

DK

Solar
22nd January 2009, 11:25 AM
Also, if you want more than 16.4 feet then you have to get a repeater for your USB 2 which will enable another extension ....

Rod Souter
22nd January 2009, 12:23 PM
Also, if you want more than 16.4 feet then you have to get a repeater for your USB 2 which will enable another extension ....

Using active 5m cables you can extend to a total length of 25m:eek:

Rod

Solar
22nd January 2009, 02:10 PM
Using active 5m cables you can extend to a total length of 25m:eek:

Rod

What if that's not enough? Just kidding.

Thanks, I didn't know.

Rod Souter
22nd January 2009, 02:45 PM
A source

http://www.solwise.co.uk/networking_sundries_usb_extensions.htm

Rod

skyman1
22nd January 2009, 04:27 PM
active extensions not so expensive as they were :)

DekHog
8th February 2009, 08:55 AM
Hot off the press... this could be worth a look if you don't have Olympus Studio and don't want to incur the expense of buying it to capture tethered.

Link for download further down the thread...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1022&thread=30902855

Note: This program does not display your images, but puts them in a folder so that you can show them instantly in Lightroom, Bibble, etc, using Auto Import function.

Archphoto
8th February 2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks guy's, but the Olympus programm does not have a live previeuw, do any of the other programs have that feature ?

Peter

DekHog
8th February 2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks guy's, but the Olympus programm does not have a live previeuw, do any of the other programs have that feature ?

Peter

What exactly do you mean by 'Live preview?'

Archphoto
8th February 2009, 02:11 PM
Connect the camera to the laptop, switch it on and get a life view on my computer screen.
Just like the life vieuw on the back of the Exxx, but bigger and more detailed.

Peter

DekHog
8th February 2009, 05:10 PM
I don't think any Olympus cameras currently support that function - some Nikon's can do it with Camera Control Pro. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be along soon to put the record straight.

emirpprime
8th February 2009, 08:27 PM
I think the only way of getting Live Preview is using the video out cable. Worth investigating though as I don't know much about it.
Phil

joeletx
9th February 2009, 01:03 AM

Peter
I don't know of any DSLR has PC live preview feature because any PC or laptop is not a part of the camera and an image still have to be transferred to computer via a cable (USB/Fire Wire) or a wireless means (WF/Blue Tooth). Some Canon and Nikon models also have the WF wireless capability for tranfering files to PC or laptop instead of USB cable used in Olympus cameras. The downside is a transmitter costs over thousand dollars abd you still have to press the preview button to view the pre-shoot image on the computer screen.

Below is how I tether to a laptop using Studio 2.XX:

1. Connect camera to the USB port on laptop. From Studio screen, click the "Camera Control" button.

2. Turn on camera and select "Control". On Studio, click the "Camera" button to start shotting normally with the camera. Images files shot will be transferred to the hard disk in the laptop. No image is saved in the CF or XD memory cards. You will see image displayed on laptop as soon as the the transmission is completed (about 1-3 seconds). If you shoot multiple frames, only the last frame is displayed when you stop; but all picture are there in you hard disk and you can see them lining up on the bottom Studio screen.

3. To preview, you have to shoot in PC mode. Click the "PC" button on Studio.

4. Click the second button from bottom of Studio that said "AF..." or "MF..."

5. Set camera on tripod, frame then click the "Preview" button on Studio. An preview image is now shown on your laptop screen. You can click the "Preview" button as many times as you want. No file is tranferred to your hard disk at this time.

6. When you are satisfy with what you see, click the “Shooting” button at the bottom and the camera will do the actual shot and send the file to your laptop. You can click as many shooting as you like. You will see as many files saved to your laptop appear on the bottom of your screen.

I don't think Studio is that bad but I see people dismisses it and goes a long way with other programs that have no connectivities with Olympus cameras.

Joe