PDA

View Full Version : "The Wheel"

Ricoh
12th December 2016, 10:32 AM
This made me laugh ( link below ) co-authored by Thorsten Overgaard, so no prizes for guessing what product is mentioned, but he does have a point!

http://mandrillapp.com/track/click/30187714/www.the.me?p=eyJzIjoiVlZrcjJ4TGdwbkRiOGpmbDRvQndoM zNMdDhJIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDE4NzcxNCxcInZ cIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwOlxcXC9cXFwvd3d3LnRoZS5tZ VxcXC9pbnZlbnRpbmctdGhlLXdoZWVsLWZvci1waG90b2dyYXB oeS1ieS10aG9yc3Rlbi1vdmVyZ2FhcmRcXFwvXCIsXCJpZFwiO lwiMjcyYTEwYTg0MTJkNDRhMDg5M2JiZjM5YzU4MWRhMTdcIix cInVybF9pZHNcIjpbXCI2ZTM5MmQ3Y2QwZDIyNzE4NjkzMjJhN zdhZjZjYzk5YjU2OTEwZGFmXCJdfSJ9

OM USer
12th December 2016, 12:06 PM
I like what he is saying. I also don't like what he is not saying.

He mentions adjusting aperture (for depth of field), ISO sensitivity (for allow for the available light), and shutter speed (to balance the other 2 to get the exposure he wants, either in manual or automatic shutter mode). This is pretty normal for anyone who shoots in aperture priority mode most of the time (like me). He also mentions metering off a different part of the scene in automatic shutter mode to get the camera to do what his brain wants to happen. Great... if you have the necessary dials for direct access to aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. We all did in our film cameras but camera makers these days have forgotten that photographers want to vary the three components of exposure and generally only give us two dials for these 3 things.

He doesn't mention focus at all. Its all very well pointing the camera at a different part of the scene to get the metering correct when you half press the shutter button (we used to call it spot metering) but you can't do this and point the camera at the focus target at the same time if you are using automatic focussing. At least some of the Olympus cameras have a seperate exposure lock button (the OM4Ti had some handy spot metering 'highlight/shadow buttons) so nothing is new here. An alternative to metering off a different part of the scene would be to use exposure compensation and let your brain do the work to decide by how much. In fully manual mode you can use the ISO button to adjust exposure compensation, the reason why film cameras combined these two function into one dial with a rotating collar. In an automatic mode (program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual with automatic ISO) you can't do this and need yet another seperate dial (akin to the rotating collar). How many cameras these days have 4 dials!

Olympus come close to 4 dials with their 2x2 system but still can't help themselves to telling us how to take pictures. You can not have exposure control in manual aperture/shutter & auto ISO mode and can not assign the 2 dials to the 4 components of exposure control in any combination you wish (for example if you switch from aperture priority to shutter priority the dials change function).

I hear what he is saying; perhaps camera manufactureres should stop dictating how we take our pictures and let the photographers take control of their cameras.

Ricoh
12th December 2016, 04:58 PM
Some cameras have lots of wheels without any markings or inscriptions, apart from the silly PASM,C1 C2 that takes 1st prize when it comes to silliness.

The Japanese are good at making things small and for mass production, but not so good when it comes to innovation. Some might say they came off the rails when they reinvented the camera. Cameras and computers have become interwoven in complexity for no good reason, in my opinion.

shenstone
12th December 2016, 06:21 PM
He's right about too many options, but the point is different options work for each of us which is why they build so many in

I've never used P but a friend of mine has never gone out of it. I rarely use S but if i was into sports shooting maybe i would. i only sometimes use M, but that's mostly out of laziness as A does the job I want

As for the options in the Menu's I guess I have tried them all ONCE and now use about 10%

Having said that sometimes you need more wheels. Overlanding in the Landy I have 7 (That's 4 on the floor, 2 on the roof just in case and one in my hands trying to persuade it where to go)

Regards
Andy