PDA

View Full Version : M.Zuiko 9-18mm Heading For Portugal

IainMacD
11th December 2016, 09:50 PM
I am posting this here to see if anyone else has had problems with their 9-18?
Last weekend I switched from my 12-40 to the 9-18 for a wider shot, but it wouldn't autofocus and when I tried manual focus the image was so dark the 'peaking' didn't show any highlights. I took a couple of shots but the shutter speed was loads longer than the 12-40 shots.
At the time I wondered if it was 'user error' and didn't get around to looking at it again until today.
I did a comparison of the same fairly bright scene at 17mm f5.6, the 9-18 took an age to focus and a 1/2 second exposure, I switched to the 17mm (f1.8) set it to f5.6, it focussed instantly with a 1/60th of a second exposure.
My conclusion is that the aperture blades are jammed at a very small setting (possibly f22), so it is off to Portugal (via Nottingham) tomorrow.
I have not heard of this problem with the MFT 9-18 before?

andym
12th December 2016, 09:26 AM
Hi Iain

Micro 4/3 lenses have the aperture blade shut at idle ie fully shut.
You should be able to see the blades open if you look in the front of the lens as it's turned on.
If there is no change it may the a coms fault between the lens and the camera, might be worth a clean of the contacts on the lens.

IainMacD
12th December 2016, 07:54 PM
Hi Iain

Micro 4/3 lenses have the aperture blade shut at idle ie fully shut.
You should be able to see the blades open if you look in the front of the lens as it's turned on.
If there is no change it may the a coms fault between the lens and the camera, might be worth a clean of the contacts on the lens.

Thanks Andy, I cleaned the contacts, but it didn't make any difference, the blades do not seem to move when powered up so it must be internal. I will see what Olympus have to say, it is still within warranty.

Cerebus
12th December 2016, 10:23 PM
No issues with my 9-18; sounds like you made the right decision to get it serviced.