PDA

View Full Version : Health & Safety (Winter Grade)

Harold Gough
9th December 2016, 07:06 AM
Towards the end of last week I noticed that some temporary bus stops had been set up. This suggested that roadworks would disrupt the permanent ones.

A day or two later, some traffic lights, giving alternate flow, appeared. They were disrupting traffic flow for several days with no sign of repairs to the road.

A neighbour made some enquiries. It seems that H & S had deemed the near-zero temperatures hazardous to their workers.

When the temperature rose there were rumours of some girls' blouses floating over the road in that location, putting their delicate life form at risk of extinction.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
9th December 2016, 10:21 AM
That sounds about right.

There is a busy road near to us that regularly has whole lanes coned off for several miles whilst the grass is cut.

I fully accept that road workers should work in a safe environment, but in the greater scheme of things I don't see how road safety is improved by creating unnecessary tailbacks of frustrated drivers.

MargaretR
9th December 2016, 11:19 AM
When the temperature rose there were rumours of some girls' blouses floating over the road in that location, putting their delicate life form at risk of extinction.

Harold

LOL! :D:D:D

Thanks for a laugh on a grey day.

Naughty Nigel
9th December 2016, 11:44 AM

Harold

Well I do hope the big girls' blouses were DayGlo orange with reflective stripes. :D

Naughty Nigel
9th December 2016, 04:47 PM
For another bit of illogicality, the Gas Board turned up late last night and dug up around 50 metres of pavement on the other side of our road. Safety barriers were erected, multiple roadworks signs were placed along the road at regulation distances, (even though it is a cul-de-sac), flashing amber lights were set up and so forth.

Cleary there was a gas leak so the work was urgent. Work continued until well after midnight, but they didn't actually expose the gas main, and come this morning there was nobody to be seen.

Then, ten minutes ago, under cover of darkness, the Gas Board men returned in force, erected floodlights and started work again.

No doubt it is time and half after 4.30 on a Friday. :rolleyes:

Wally
11th December 2016, 09:20 AM
Had similar issues with the Water Board. Requested if I could have my water metered with the meter placed outside as I was not always available for readings? Ended up inside the kitchen sink unit as this was both easier and cost effective 'blah, blah'... had a leak and a new kitchen unit installed. Just had a letter asking to provide reading as been unable to access property since January. Showing my age now *yes but reading all of the above reminded me of this. Has been updated but has the original Flanders and Swann tagged on the end.

The gasman came... --> http://www.nickhunn.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/12/The-Smart-Gasman-Cometh-Songsheet.pdf

Harold Gough
11th December 2016, 09:48 AM
Yes, this was the water company.

A couple of years ago, I could not locate our outside stop valve and needed to to replace the indoor one. The company had scrapped its card index and computerised. So nobody knew where pipes ran.

There were three or four visits to dig trenches in the pavement. During one, they thought they had found a gas pipe and cut through it to prove it.

So the gas company arrived. At one times there must have been five utility company vans out there, not to mention the "workers".

Eventually, they put in a new stop valve. By lining up on that, I found the original and they removed the seized valve and fitted a free new on.

Just a thought: might the "girls' blouses" have been water nymphs?

Harold

DerekW
11th December 2016, 11:07 AM
I had a broadband problem, the Open Reach chaps determined that the problem was their side of the master socket (so I do not owe them 160 aprox) they followed the cable across to the pole and then down into the ground and then opened up the manhole - all work stopped the manhole was full of gas - so the Southern Gas chaps were called to find the leak, so yet more vans. The leak was found to be under the pavement where it crossed the un-addopted access road.

Interesting observation there was developing a very bald patch in the front lawn caused by the gas leak. After the repair the bald patch recovered.

The gas chaps had to dig quite a big trench to find the location of the leak, which was due to the string used to seal the threaded connection on the gas pipe drying out. In the good old days of coal gas the gas contained quite a bit of water vapour which helped to keep the string tight inside the threaded connection.

How long did it take to fix the problem, I do not know - we went away on hols for a few weeks and the road was repaired (along with the broadband) by the time we returned.

Harold Gough
11th December 2016, 11:16 AM
How long diddit take to fix the problem?

How long is a piece of string? :D

Harold

Naughty Nigel
11th December 2016, 12:58 PM
Showing my age now *yes but reading all of the above reminded me of this. Has been updated but has the original Flanders and Swann tagged on the end.

The gasman came... --> http://www.nickhunn.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/12/The-Smart-Gasman-Cometh-Songsheet.pdf

Ahh yes; I too have fond memories of the original Flanders and Swann song. There was an interesting reference to the Glazier with 'his chisel and his putty' that one doesn't get with UPVC windows.

I also liked their song "The Slow Train", although I can confirm that Chester-Le-Street station remains open on the East Coast Main Line, between Durham and Newcastle. *yes

I only learned comparatively recently that Stephanie Flanders, the effortlessly classy former BBC Economics Reporter is in fact the late Michael Flanders' daughter.