PDA

View Full Version : Faulty WiFi for an Olympus E-M10??

shutterspeed
1st December 2016, 08:22 PM
Hi everyone,

I seem to have an issue trying to get my newly bought camera to be seen on my smartphone. Basically as soon as I enable the camera's wifi, it states "Starting" and within 5 seconds or so, it states "Stopping".

Can anyone advise what I'm doing wrong please?

Thank you.

Zedex10r
1st December 2016, 08:43 PM
You do have the OIS app on your phone aswell dont you?

Ian
1st December 2016, 09:21 PM
You should be able to connect to the phone without the app running, it just won't do anything . The camera's wifi shouldn't time out that quickly.

Ian

shutterspeed
1st December 2016, 10:08 PM
Yes the phone already has the OI.Share app running. The camera just times-out, before I go and look for it on the wifi list on smartphone.

No idea how to fix it.

Graham_of_Rainham
2nd December 2016, 07:48 AM
Have you tried using the "connect to smartphone" in the Menus?

Ian
2nd December 2016, 07:51 AM
Yes the phone already has the OI.Share app running. The camera just times-out, before I go and look for it on the wifi list on smartphone.

No idea how to fix it.

Have you previously registered the camera on your phone as a wi-fi connection or were you unable to get that far?

Ian

shutterspeed
2nd December 2016, 08:30 AM
@ Graham - Yes that's one of the first things I've tried

@ Ian - I've never managed to register the camera on my phone because I've been unable to get that far.

sdb123
2nd December 2016, 08:37 AM
That doesn't sound right to me...never had an issue with wi-fi timing out on 3 cameras so far (E-PL7, E-M10 & E-M5 MKII).

I'd perform a camera reset, then make sure the camera has the latest firmware loaded and start over.

Once the profile has been loaded onto your phone/tablet, the process is really easy > start connection to smartphone, select wi-fi network on your device and connect, then open the Olympus App.

Ian
2nd December 2016, 08:58 AM
That doesn't sound right to me...never had an issue with wi-fi timing out on 3 cameras so far (E-PL7, E-M10 & E-M5 MKII).

I'd perform a camera reset, then make sure the camera has the latest firmware loaded and start over.

Once the profile has been loaded onto your phone/tablet, the process is really easy > start connection to smartphone, select wi-fi network on your device and connect, then open the Olympus App.

I'd say that's great advice :)

Ian

shutterspeed
2nd December 2016, 09:08 AM
Thanks, but all this has already been done.

Basically, the first thing I did is to upgrade fw from 1.1 to 1.3.

I then chose RESET>FULL.
Then I installed OIS app on Samsung S4 phone.
Next I went into Start Connection to smartphone.
I then went into the phone's wifi settings whilst running the OIS app, made sure it is in scanmode, so that it can detect any new wifi networks.

But no new wifi network shows and the camera within approx 5 seconds of starting wifi, states stopping wifi.

Ian
2nd December 2016, 09:25 AM
Sadly, that does look like a hardware failure. First time I have heard if this happening. Bad luck!

Ian

shutterspeed
2nd December 2016, 09:42 AM
If I may add, this is not an isolated issue as there are hundreds of posts on other forums & websites where people are complaining of the same issue. They've even sent the phone back to olympus to get it repaired, only to find the same issue returning, so I still think (and hope) that there may be a way of fixing this.

sdb123
2nd December 2016, 09:46 AM
You need to load the camera profile on your device first before attempting to find the camera in wi-fi settings. I ran my E-M10 up to v1.1 and never once experienced a fault.

A quick internet search shows lots of issues with wi-fi connection on a device but not wi-fi timing out on the camera - that's a new one on me...I'd get in contact with Olympus as I'm stumped.

shutterspeed
2nd December 2016, 09:53 AM
Can you please tell me how to load the camera profile onto my smartphone?

Heres some links to this problem:-

http://photography.forumsee.com/a/m/s/p12-19210-0629657--wifi-longer-working.html

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53874802

http://boardreader.com/thread/M_10_Wifi_stopping_cp1X29w0q.html

sdb123
2nd December 2016, 09:57 AM
Thanks for those links - I've honestly never heard of the issue before today and I frequent loads of photography forums...I appreciate how frustrating it must be for you.

Does the QR image appear on the rear-LCD at all when attempting to initiate the wi-fi feature?

shutterspeed
2nd December 2016, 09:59 AM
Thanks for those links - I've honestly never heard of the issue before today and I frequent loads of photography forums...I appreciate how frustrating it must be for you.

Does the QR image appear on the rear-LCD at all when attempting to initiate the wi-fi feature?

No the QR image never appears :(

sdb123
2nd December 2016, 10:54 AM
It sounds defective - get in touch with Olympus asap.

shutterspeed
2nd December 2016, 10:56 AM
It's unfortunately second hand bought off Gumtree :(

Ian
2nd December 2016, 12:18 PM
Olympus has been known to fix things like this FOC but there is no guarantee...

Ian

shutterspeed
2nd December 2016, 01:51 PM
What's FOC?

I doubt they would look at this issue for free, considering I bought it second hand

shotokan101
2nd December 2016, 02:56 PM
Free Of Charge...

shutterspeed
2nd December 2016, 03:51 PM
I've just called them, but they are closed. Nevermind. I'll have to deal with this next week :(