PDA

View Full Version : PanLeica 15mm f1.7 with Pen-F

Loup Garou
26th November 2016, 02:07 PM
A friend recently bought an EM10 Mark II and I sold him my Olympus 17mm f2.8 Pancake lens, which I used to use with my Pen-F. I now want to replace it with either the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 II or PanLeica 15mm f1.7 (NOT the Olympus 17mm f1.8 which I already have and use with the EM5 II). I like the specs of the PanLeica and am veering towards it despite the higher price tag but want to clarify a few things.

1. Are there any electronic link issues with the PanLeica 15mm f1.7 and Olympus bodies? I was looking at an earlier thread where a buyer had problems with that lens and another camera.

2. Does the aperture ring on the PanLeica work with Olympus bodies, specifically Pen-F?

sdb123
26th November 2016, 02:24 PM
Two easy questions to answer....no issues on Olympus M43 bodies and no, the aperture ring is not enabled on Olympus cameras.

Very nice lens...

Loup Garou
26th November 2016, 02:37 PM
The aperture ring is not enabled on Olympus cameras.

Very nice lens... Thanks, but are you sure that the aperture ring won't work on even a relatively new camera like the Pen-F? Slightly disappointed if it does not because I was hoping for the old-fashioned feel of using an aperture ring. I do not own any MFT lens with one after I sold the Samayang fisheye last year.

sdb123
26th November 2016, 02:57 PM
To clarify...aperture rings on Panasonic lenses will not function on Olympus M43 bodies, they only work on Panasonic bodies.

Loup Garou
26th November 2016, 03:11 PM
OK, I surrender. But out of interest, is this an unsurmountable issue or something that could change with a future firmware update on one or the other?

sdb123
26th November 2016, 03:25 PM
It's a cross-company issue...the assumption is that it should be an easy enough fix to implement via firmware however Olympus & Panasonic need to work collaboratively to make it happen. I won't hold my breath.

Loup Garou
26th November 2016, 04:30 PM
I placed an order with Wex just now. As I wanted the silver one, it is going to take a week to get it, but I'll wait.

Simon Bee
26th November 2016, 08:45 PM
I placed an order with Wex just now. As I wanted the silver one, it is going to take a week to get it, but I'll wait.

Good choice as it's a cracking lens.

Simon

drmarkf
26th November 2016, 08:52 PM
Yes, I agree. It's certainly sharper than the Oly 17, although you have to pixel peep to see it.

Plus it looks good in silver on a silver OMD or Pen-F body, for those bothered by that sort of thing!

Ricoh
26th November 2016, 09:48 PM
The 15/f1.7 is indeed a sharp lens, and focus is lightning fast. Personally I prefer using it on a Panasonic body to utilise the incorporated aperture ring. On an Olympus body I find the need to remap my brain to ignore the aperture setting. Bit confusing to begin with, especially if you've grown up with film cameras.

Loup Garou
2nd December 2016, 01:27 PM
Wex had problems getting hold of the silver PanLeica 15mm that I wanted and so I was forced to cancel the order. Then I checked with all the other usual big High Street dealers like Park, Wilkinson, LCE, Clifton, Fotosense, Harrison etc and none of them had a silver one. Plenty of dodgy looking "Eastern" type "UK based" warehouse dealers had it but I do not trust such sellers and ignored them. There was one on Amazon at 499 which I left as a last resort and tried e-bay; most offers were once again "Eastern" dealers like Kacha but this morning I found a private seller from Yorkshire with full contact details (name, phone, e-mail, postal address) and a 100% positive feedback rating from almost 1000 transactions. His lens was also brand new and at 399 came with a free 2-year Leica guarantee and free UK delivery. His name is Gary Hodgson and although my only attempt (so far) to phone went to voicemail, he sounded very native British. I therefore took a chance and placed the order. Delivery by ParcelForce.

Do others think this is OK or should I have looked for a established outfit? I paid by Paypal and have full protection.

Simon Bee
2nd December 2016, 04:45 PM
but this morning I found a private seller from Yorkshire with full contact details (name, phone, e-mail, postal address) and a 100% positive feedback rating from almost 1000 transactions. His lens was also brand new and at 399 came with a free 2-year Leica guarantee and free UK delivery. His name is Gary Hodgson and although my only attempt (so far) to phone went to voicemail, he sounded very native British. I therefore took a chance and placed the order. Delivery by ParcelForce.

Do others think this is OK or should I have looked for a established outfit? I paid by Paypal and have full protection.

With that sort of feedback I should 'think' you are ok but whether Panasonic will provide the warranty is another matter. Although the lens is apparently new you are purchasing via a private sale and not through an appointed dealership .... just something to bear in mind.

BTW, Carmarthen Cameras have a silver one in stock ............

.............. http://carmarthencameras.com/lenses/panasonic-lumix-g-lenses/panasonic-h-x015e-k-leica-dg-summilux-15mm-f1-7-asph-lens-silver.html

Simon

Loup Garou
2nd December 2016, 05:38 PM
With that sort of feedback I should 'think' you are ok but whether Panasonic will provide the warranty is another matter. Although the lens is apparently new you are purchasing via a private sale and not through an appointed dealership .... just something to bear in mind. Thanks. Yes, I know but I got a bit desperate when I could not find a silver lens. I normally do not buy any electrical or electronic goods from a private dealer but since a lens is an optical instrument for the most part, I decided to take the risk. I'll check it out as soon as it arrives to ensure that the electronic contacts are all OK and the autofocus motor is working properly. If there is the slightest doubt, I'll send it back and get a refund.

BTW, Carmarthen Cameras have a silver one in stock ............ Scheitzen! And a good price too! The irony is that I have used Carmarthen Cameras before but it slipped my mid this time. Perhaps I should have asked the forum member's help in finding a silver lens before ordering from e-bay.

Well, let us hope that my deal turns out all right.

Loup Garou
2nd December 2016, 06:52 PM
Update: I discovered that this "ycm18" on e-bay is not a private seller as I had thought but a bona-fide on-line dealer called York Camera Mart, complete with a respectable looking website. Looks like I may be all right after all. :)

Simon Bee
2nd December 2016, 06:56 PM
Update: I discovered that this "ycm18" on e-bay is not a private seller as I had thought but a bona-fide on-line dealer called York Camera Mart, complete with a respectable looking website. Looks like I may be all right after all. :)

There we go, should all be ok then :)

Simon

Loup Garou
3rd December 2016, 08:43 AM
There we go, should all be ok then :)

Simon Should be. They have sent me reassuring messages, the lens is already dispatched via Parcelforce, I have Paypal protection and they have a solid returns policy in place.

drmarkf
3rd December 2016, 09:26 AM
It'll be fine, I'm sure.
It's a sweet lens, although I know some people find the redundant aperture ring irritating (never bothered me, but I rarely move out of Aperture priority auto).

The lens hood and cap is an interesting arrangement - slightly bulky, but the rubber cap I find works well.

The results are just great and, although it's maybe a bit lightweight in feel for a real Leitz, I don't think many Leica camera owners would object to the images you get.

Loup Garou
3rd December 2016, 12:05 PM
I know some people find the redundant aperture ring irritating . I can understand that and have a couple of questions about it. I wonder if you can help.

When e-Photozine reviewed the lens in 2014, they commented on the redundancy of the aperture ring on Olympus bodies but said that there was a firmware update available that could fix that problem. Is that true and if so, where can I get that update? I could not see it on the Panasonic website.
If there is no such update, should I leave the aperture ring on an 'A' setting while using with the Pen-F or does it not matter?

sdb123
3rd December 2016, 12:12 PM
As mentioned before, the much talked about firmware update has to be collaberated between Olympus & Panasonic...I can't see it happening anytime soon tbh. Each manufacturer seems content to focus on their own products rather than cross-platform.

The aperture ring has no impact on Olympus M43 bodies, so can just be left on A.

Ricoh
3rd December 2016, 01:55 PM
It's a pitty Olympus won't incorporate the aperture setting read from the lens. The signals are there waiting to be read by the camera. It cannot be a matter of not being bothered adding a few tens or hundreds of extra code, but something between Olympus and Panasonic. The 15/1.7 is basically made for the Panasonic camera, I've used it on both systems but much prefer it on the Panasonic. You can look at the setting without the camera being switched on. And in my opinion, all cameras should allow the 3 exposure controls to be set with the camera on or off.

Loup Garou
3rd December 2016, 02:43 PM
As mentioned before, the much talked about firmware update has to be collaberated between Olympus & Panasonic. Thanks and apologies if you felt that I was ignoring what you said. I assure you that I was not but I saw this review just this morning and asked the question just on the off-chance that it was something you had missed. Wishful thinking I suppose.

IMO, this lack of cross-collaboration between Olympus and Panasonic defeats the very purpose of having a system like the MFT.

pdk42
3rd December 2016, 03:09 PM
TBH, I much prefer changing aperture with the camera to the eye using the dials so don't really see the point of aperture rings. It's one of the things that puts me off Fuji, although it seems it's the reason why many like it! Different folks, different strokes...

Ricoh
3rd December 2016, 03:15 PM
Thanks and apologies if you felt that I was ignoring what you said. I assure you that I was not but I saw this review just this morning and asked the question just on the off-chance that it was something you had missed. Wishful thinking I suppose.

IMO, this lack of cross-collaboration between Olympus and Panasonic defeats the very purpose of having a system like the MFT.
Perhaps the benefit of MFT is the collaboration at one level, whilst providing each manufacture room for innovation. If not for innovation being protected, it would stifle progress.

Ricoh
3rd December 2016, 03:18 PM
TBH, I much prefer changing aperture with the camera to the eye using the dials so don't really see the point of aperture rings. It's one of the things that puts me off Fuji, although it seems it's the reason why many like it! Different folks, different strokes...
For street photographer one needs to review and adjust all settings before raising the camera. Once the camera is at eye level, you have a fraction of a second to get the shot and move on.

Loup Garou
3rd December 2016, 03:20 PM
It's a pitty Olympus won't incorporate the aperture setting read from the lens. The signals are there waiting to be read by the camera.

In that case, why hasn't some clever independent person come out with an "underground" fix for this issue at 10? We have third party software like "Any DVD" or hardware hack of a Blu-ray player (mine has one to play a BD from any region) and so why not something simpler like this one?

pdk42
3rd December 2016, 03:26 PM
What we need is an open source OS for the camera. That way there would be hoards of people doing clever things (and maybe bricking their cameras!)

Ricoh
3rd December 2016, 03:28 PM
In that case, why hasn't some clever independent person come out with an "underground" fix for this issue at 10? We have third party software like "Any DVD" or hardware hack of a Blu-ray player (mine has one to play a BD from any region) and so why not something simpler like this one?
The source code is proprietary, so one would need to reverse engineer to get a solution. At 10 a fix, what incentive is there???

Edit: And if Olympus produce errors when providing firmware updates (I'm not certain it is firmware, since firmware operates to configure silicon, eg an FPGA) - and they have the source code - what chance has Joe Bloggs????

Ricoh
3rd December 2016, 03:29 PM
What we need is an open source OS for the camera. That way there would be hoards of people doing clever things (and maybe bricking their cameras!)
Linux distros for Mount Olympus

Loup Garou
3rd December 2016, 08:23 PM
TBH, I much prefer changing aperture with the camera to the eye using the dials so don't really see the point of aperture rings.... It is the nostalgic thing, which of course is related to a person's age. I am 61 and started getting interested in photography during the 'old fashioned' camera days. My foster father owned a Leica, a relative had the Canon A1 and I have owned an Olympus OM4Ti. One develops a sort of 'feel' for such things.

pdk42
3rd December 2016, 08:41 PM
It is the nostalgic thing, which of course is related to a person's age. I am 61 and started getting interested in photography during the 'old fashioned' camera days. My foster father owned a Leica, a relative had the Canon A1 and I have owned an Olympus OM4Ti. One develops a sort of 'feel' for such things.

Well, I'm not far behind you - 56. I cut my photographic teeth on a Praktica L and later a Pentax Spotmatic II so I should be into aperture rings too but I think ergonomically the dial works better. Steve's point about being able to set the camera before raising it to the eye for street photography is well made, but you can do that fairly easily using the rear screen and have the camera ready for whatever comes along.

Loup Garou
3rd December 2016, 09:10 PM
The source code is proprietary, so one would need to reverse engineer to get a solution. At 10 a fix, what incentive is there???

Probably not much. But I know of a site (as I am sure you all do) called DIY Photography (net) which supposedly provides very effective third party hacks for digital cameras. At present they seem to work mainly with Canon and Nikon but there have been some "disgruntled requests" from Olympus and Fujifim owners.

Ricoh
3rd December 2016, 09:16 PM
And would you risk it? I'm out as Duncan Bannatyne might say. :)

Loup Garou
3rd December 2016, 09:29 PM
And would you risk it? Frankly, I don't know. I have to confess that I am tempted. During my brief ownership of the Samyang Fisheye lens, I got a lot of pleasure using the aperture ring but I did not see much use for the lens and so sold it on (here).

It may not be the same thing but I used the Caribbean based (owned by Italians, I think) "Any DVD" software for over 10 years on 3 different Windows systems without any problems on my desktop before allowing the subscription to lapse. They even provided regular free updates several times a year.

This DIY Photography site appears well set-up but I know appearances can be deceptive. I guess I am going to do some more asking around before making a decision.