PDA

View Full Version : Safer Computing: 25/11/201

Wally
25th November 2016, 08:18 PM
B U L L E T I N (ID: HKRI-AG2MHH)

Just because you have two factor authentication doesn't mean you can afford to be sloppy with password security.

W E B L I N K S:

By Bob Covello: --> https://www.grahamcluley.com/password-important-use-multi-factor-authentication/

Mrs T
17th December 2016, 12:14 PM
With the recent Yahoo headlines we have been thinking about our Antivirus protection, and all the other nasty traps out there.

We are currently using the free Avira software which seems OK.

Does anybody have any experience of a package that is well suited for Mac, iPhone and iPad?

As long as the price is reasonable we would pay for a better security (unless free is as good).

Amanda

shenstone
17th December 2016, 01:56 PM
With any of these tools you will get a lot of opinions and often they will conflict on preferences

Over the years (on PC) I have used many and changed at times, but the basic line is you will get what you pay for i that the free or cheap will do a reasonable job if you are careful, but if you want better (especially for the family) then a paid product will be best

At present i am using Kaspersky because a few years ago a family device became infected and it was the only software that dealt with that specific issue fully (i.e. disinfected specific files and not just deleted them) at the time. What I do like is that I can now "control" the wider family (parents etc) PC's and android devices and make sure they are up to date from a single account

I know they do packages for Mac, but no actual experience of such.

regards
Andy

DavyG
17th December 2016, 03:34 PM
I also use Kaspersky Internet Security, backed up by a regular scan of the free utility Malwarebytes.

I haven't had a problem to date.

Dave

Wally
17th December 2016, 05:32 PM
I'm in the process of looking for a good AV and it's safe to say. I'm no expert when it comes to IT. Checking out the top 10 AV progggies At 30 for 5 units -with 50% discount on the cards BitDefender would seem to have the edge . With anti-malware, and a safe banking page etc., it looks to be a real contender.

iso
17th December 2016, 05:55 PM
Malwarebytes seems to do what it says. Always reassuring when you get a message up saying ...we blocked this...

Mrs T
17th December 2016, 06:05 PM
Thanks everybody. I think we get Kaspersky free from our bank but I remember we had some problems although I can't remember what they were!

Wally
17th December 2016, 07:39 PM
Here is a link to an add-on which can be used to enhance security of banking details -->http://www.trusteer.com/ProtectYourMoney - IBM Trusteer Endpoint Protection is recommended by many banks... so it can't be all that bad.

You may need to select your online bank prior to download to ensure you can download the program. When individually enabled, a link will show as secured when it changes to green. I use Firefox and it is compatible with other browsers. Not sure of Android or Mac OS.

DerekW
17th December 2016, 08:36 PM
Trusteer does not always keep up with the rapid changes of Firefox on a Mac so I use Safari for online banking with Trusteer protection.

shenstone
17th December 2016, 11:50 PM
Here is a link to an add-on which can be used to enhance security of banking details -->http://www.trusteer.com/ProtectYourMoney - IBM Trusteer Endpoint Protection is recommended by many banks... so it can't be all that bad.

You may need to select your online bank prior to download to ensure you can download the program. When individually enabled, a link will show as secured when it changes to green. I use Firefox and it is compatible with other browsers. Not sure of Android or Mac OS.

I hope its improved since IBM bought it this is 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EimZQgt7WPg
I've not looked at it since then

steverh
18th December 2016, 12:20 AM
I use HitmanPro.Alert from Sophos in conjunction with the standard Windows Defender. It gives comprehensive end point protection. Anti virus alone isn't good enough any more. It doesn't play nicely with Trusteer as I think they are both trying to do the same sort of thing. Works for me so far...

iso
20th December 2016, 06:29 PM
Doesn't it seem that for every issue there is an opinion and a product to 'put it right'.:mad: Who the hell knows the '''''correct''''' answer/solution :rolleyes: