PDA

View Full Version : DPReview full review of E-M1 II

Olybirder
23rd November 2016, 06:12 PM
The full review of the E-M1 II is on the DPReview site now. I haven't read it properly yet but I see it has been given a Gold Award although it sounds as if Olympus have oversold its abilities slightly.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii

Ron

Miketoll
23rd November 2016, 06:56 PM
You just beat me to it! Reads pretty well, been shaking my piggy bank hopefully since reading the review.......Price is definitely the main issue.

mm500
23rd November 2016, 07:28 PM
For once DPReview have reviewed an Olympus camera quite early on (their reviews can be a bit behind...)

4K is overdue (especially as Panasonic have been offering it for a while) and 2 card slots can be useful. I still think the current cameras offer enough for me though I guess this new camera is hoping to tempt more Pros with some of it's features.

The comments about the menu are about the only thing that worry me: I personally find Olympus' frustrating enough.

Looks amazing, can't wait until it's been around a while and the price has dropped significantly.

Mal.

drmarkf
23rd November 2016, 11:12 PM
That's an impressive review result as long as you're mainly looking for focus performance improvements rather than image quality ones.

We do need some reviews from expert bird and sports photographers, but it's looking really good so far (and an expensive 2017 beckons).

brian1208
24th November 2016, 09:28 AM
I'm not sure about the "Expert" bit but I shoot mainly wildlife / birds and action sport and have mine on pre-order so hope to have some pics to share before Christmas (unless they delay the release date)

Its only money Mark, I look on it as helping the economy by keeping the circulation of cash going (not much point in saving it these days anyway ;) )

drmarkf
24th November 2016, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure about the "Expert" bit but I shoot mainly wildlife / birds and action sport and have mine on pre-order so hope to have some pics to share before Christmas (unless they delay the release date)

Its only money Mark, I look on it as helping the economy by keeping the circulation of cash going (not much point in saving it these days anyway ;) )

Yes, I certainly drink to that *chr

Seriously, another factor for me is that I'm not going to be doing any fast sports or game drive shooting until next summer at the earliest, so I wouldn't be getting good value from it until then. Plus I've just got an A7Rii so landscape is now covered.

Grumpy Hec
24th November 2016, 01:41 PM
For once DPReview have reviewed an Olympus camera quite early on (their reviews can be a bit behind...)

4K is overdue (especially as Panasonic have been offering it for a while) and 2 card slots can be useful. I still think the current cameras offer enough for me though I guess this new camera is hoping to tempt more Pros with some of it's features.

The comments about the menu are about the only thing that worry me: I personally find Olympus' frustrating enough.

Looks amazing, can't wait until it's been around a while and the price has dropped significantly.

Mal.

I think that the menu comments are rather ironic.

Olympus are to some extent the victims of their own success in producing camera's that have extensive control over so many aspects of their functionality and which can be configured by individuals to match their shooting styles and likes/dislikes. This inevitably leads to a detailed and deep menu system in order to accommodate that end result.

For me that end result is one of the strengths of the camera's and the MKII is no exception. It does mean of course that the initial familiarisation period is longer but it is worth it in my view. That is consistent with one of my personal mantras that most of the rewarding activities in life are those which have to be worked on to achieve a good outcome and that instant gratification is usually unsatisfactory in the medium and long term.

For what it's worth when I looked at the menu during a hands on day in Colchester a couple of weeks back my impression was that it is is more logically grouped on the new camera and that once I have got my head around the differences it will possibly be easier to use. Only time will tell of course.

As to price reductions in the future I see that as far from certain given Brexit, the state of the pound and the general outlook. Unless sales are exceptionally good or, conversely, exceptionally bad I think that price drops are doubtful until a MKIII is in the offing. I just don't think that Olympus will be able to drop the price. That's just my take on things of course and open to debate but it is one of the reasons I decided to pre-order even though I do think the price is rather high despite it looking like an superb bit of kit.

Hec

drmarkf
24th November 2016, 02:22 PM
As to price reductions in the future I see that as far from certain given Brexit, the state of the pound and the general outlook. Unless sales are exceptionally good or, conversely, exceptionally bad I think that price drops are doubtful until a MKIII is in the offing. I just don't think that Olympus will be able to drop the price. That's just my take on things of course and open to debate but it is one of the reasons I decided to pre-order even though I do think the price is rather high despite it looking like an superb bit of kit.

Hec

Yes, I suspect the high launch price might have been calculated so they wouldn't have to increase it so soon after launch to take account of the Brexit effects: they are only just now working their way through the supply chain.

It might seem relatively high now, but we'll see whether that impression is the same in a year or two's time when the prices of D500/7Dii/XT-2 and similar competitors are predicted to have been increased.

Olybirder
24th November 2016, 03:19 PM
I too believe (or hope) that Olympus has allowed for Brexit price increases in their calculations and we will see other camera makes increasing in price in the coming months.

Another important thing to bear in mind is that, remembering what has happened with the Mk 1 version, Olympus will continue to develop the camera and issue software updates to improve its performance over the next few years. This should make it competitive with its rivals and reduce the need to replace it for three years or so. This should make the initial high price more acceptable over the long term.

Ron

Goon525
24th November 2016, 04:13 PM
Whether or not it can be justified, I don't think the high price relates to Brexit. It's high, and a substantial increase on Mk 1, in all markets.

brian1208
24th November 2016, 05:01 PM
I suspect the high value of the yen vs dollar, euro and £stg may just have something to do with the price

That +writing off the cost of developing a new sensor and much else over a predicted smaller volume market

No doubt the "Experts" will blame all that on Brexit though ;)

Grumpy Hec
24th November 2016, 07:54 PM
I suspect the high value of the yen vs dollar, euro and £stg may just have something to do with the price

That +writing off the cost of developing a new sensor and much else over a predicted smaller volume market

No doubt the "Experts" will blame all that on Brexit though ;)

The poor value of the pound is related in the most part to Brexit. That's not an "expert" view as such but just a statement based on practical observation. However it is also backed up by comments from people I know who work in that area in the city who are planning for a further decline.

Hec

brian1208
24th November 2016, 08:10 PM
so why is the price equally high in the US and EU, don't tell me that Brexit has caused their currency to slump ? :D

Goon525
24th November 2016, 09:06 PM
Just to build on what Brian correctly says, the maths follows. But I don't know why Hec has to tell us about the impact of the Brexit vote on the value of sterling (which no one here has disputed) - when it seems to play no part whatever in the matter of the high price of the new camera. There are plenty of places to debate the pros and cons of Brexit, and this shouldn't be one of them.

OK, so the UK price of EM1.2 is £1849 but that includes VAT. Pretax price is £1540.83, which at today's exchange rate is $1918.26. But the US price is $1999 (US prices are always quoted pretax). So, although we in the UK have often had good cause to complain about US technological goods being much cheaper than here, we would seem to have no reason at all to complain in this case - it's actually cheaper here.

So what are you on about, Hec?

Grumpy Hec
25th November 2016, 08:45 AM
Just to build on what Brian correctly says, the maths follows. But I don't know why Hec has to tell us about the impact of the Brexit vote on the value of sterling (which no one here has disputed) - when it seems to play no part whatever in the matter of the high price of the new camera. There are plenty of places to debate the pros and cons of Brexit, and this shouldn't be one of them.

OK, so the UK price of EM1.2 is £1849 but that includes VAT. Pretax price is £1540.83, which at today's exchange rate is $1918.26. But the US price is $1999 (US prices are always quoted pretax). So, although we in the UK have often had good cause to complain about US technological goods being much cheaper than here, we would seem to have no reason at all to complain in this case - it's actually cheaper here.

So what are you on about, Hec?
I was not going to respond to this but felt uncomfortable about not doing so .

I totally agree about the globally high price with the example given regarding the US price being especially graphic. That point has been made previously in this forum and in other places on the web.

However I was not talking about the launch price.

I was actually responding to a comment about waiting for a price drop as a valid option. If you look at my post in reply to mm500 and in particular the last paragraph you will see that I was just giving my take on why I personally doubt that Olympus will be in a position to offer a price drop in the short to medium future. I did not want to just give an opinion without at least a very high level summary on why I have arrived at that conclusion. That conclusion is open to debate of course as I also state in that paragraph and may well turn out to be wrong.

So to be clear what I am on about, to answer your question directly, I was considering the probability of a price drop with some summarised reasoning rather than just making a hollow statement.

I hope that corrects the apparent misunderstanding and we can all move on.

I will now continue to look forward to getting the call from LCE Colchester telling me that my new camera is in.

Hec

katran
26th November 2016, 07:32 AM
This should make it competitive with its rivals and reduce the need to replace it for three years or so.
Ron

This camera is already competitive to its rivals.
Actually is the first camera from Olympus which offers similar AF performance as competition.

When Olympus lauched E-5, it was an outdated camera with old sensor and old AF system, but still very expensive 1700$ / 1700 Eur / 1700 GBP.

Now we got an very modern camera with superlative specifications, wich the other systems do not match : the best IS, the highest fps rate.
The price is very high in deed, but at least we get a very performant camera with the newest techonology inside.
It's a camera which you can buy it for the next 5-6 years.