PDA

View Full Version : Hallelujah!

Naughty Nigel
21st November 2016, 01:44 PM
So, NCP says it will widen car parking bays for wider cars. Not before time in my view!

Parking Bays to be widened for bigger cars - BBC Report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38048793)

The 'standard' parking space in the UK is currently 4.8m in length, by 2.4m in width.

By contrast, the Audi Q7 is 5.085 metres long and 1.984 metres wide, which doesn't leave much space to get little Dominic and Henrietta into their car seats! :rolleyes:

The VW Toerag is more modestly sized at just 4.796 metres in length by 1.941 metres long!

Hopefully this will catch on at supermarkets, railways stations and airports, and will mean that inconsiderate drivers no longer use disabled spaces to park their oversized German vehicles. :mad:

At present far too much space is lost to bad parking, so the wider spaces might actually increase the number of spaces available.

Let's just hope the new Audi Q9 or whatever isn't even bigger than the present leviathan! :rolleyes:

iso
21st November 2016, 05:55 PM
Might also reduce that well known supermarket car park syndrome - the big ding in door from the parker next door :mad:

Naughty Nigel
21st November 2016, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for a few centimetres of extra space. I often park at the far end of supermarket car parks, where there are plenty of spaces, but you can guarantee there will be a rusty Transit van full of hairy ar$ed builders in the next bay when you return. :(

Right now you stand no chance of parking safely unless you are lucky enough to find a space between two very small cars that have been parked properly.

Ian
21st November 2016, 09:52 PM
Mmmmm, are cars that big really necessary? Yes I know they can be, but the example on the BBC news was, in my mind a good example of where things have gone haywire. The lady drives a massive Volvo 4x4, because she is a sales rep? 20,000 miles a year, apparently - I'd hate to see the fuel bill. If I was doing that job that would be the last car I'd choose. OK, she lives in the country so she needs a 4x4, well there are lots of 4x4s much smaller than that.

Haha! And I have it in for Audi Qs - one of those wrote off our car a couple of months ago!

Ian

Naughty Nigel
21st November 2016, 10:38 PM
Haha! And I have it in for Audi Qs - one of those wrote off our car a couple of months ago!

Ian

When the Audi Q7 first came out I returned to Darlington station car park to find a huge white one parked right beside me, very badly, so I was totally unable to get into my own car. (I had parked with the nearside close to a wall precisely to avoid damage caused by idiots like this.)

In fact, the wretched thing was so wide that its tyres were over the white lines on both sides of the bay, so the driver on the other side had problems too! :mad:

The police were unwilling to provide the driver's details, it was late at night, and we had no clue as to when he or she* would return, but the police did at least give me a lift home. I then had to wait two days for the Audi driver to return so that I could reclaim my car. Thankfully GNER (as it was then) didn't charge me for parking.

(* It turned out to be a woman Estate Agent.)

So yes, I can agree that not only do they not know how to use mirrors and indicators, they cannot park and are selfish ******** too! *yes

Ian
22nd November 2016, 07:09 AM
When the Audi Q7 first came out I returned to Darlington station car park to find a huge white one parked right beside me, very badly, so I was totally unable to get into my own car. (I had parked with the nearside close to a wall precisely to avoid damage caused by idiots like this.)

In fact, the wretched thing was so wide that its tyres were over the white lines on both sides of the bay, so the driver on the other side had problems too! :mad:

The police were unwilling to provide the driver's details, it was late at night, and we had no clue as to when he or she* would return, but the police did at least give me a lift home. I then had to wait two days for the Audi driver to return so that I could reclaim my car. Thankfully GNER (as it was then) didn't charge me for parking.

(* It turned out to be a woman Estate Agent.)

So yes, I can agree that not only do they not know how to use mirrors and indicators, they cannot park and are selfish ******** too! *yes

I would class that as driving (or having driven) without due care and attention...

Ian

AMc
22nd November 2016, 11:07 AM
So fewer spaces to compensate for larger cars? That won't cause any issues at all.

Grumpy Hec
22nd November 2016, 11:24 AM
So fewer spaces to compensate for larger cars? That won't cause any issues at all.

And an opportunity for price increases. NCP will not be slow on that one.

Naughty Nigel
22nd November 2016, 01:02 PM
I would class that as driving (or having driven) without due care and attention... Ian

Technically it is "Causing an Obstruction" but as it was a private car park, and not the Queen's Highway, the police are not really interested.

You might think that, but at present a significant number of parking spaces are unusable owing to a combination of oversized vehicles and bad parking in adjacent bays. There is also the problem that many people with oversized cars simply use Disabled or Parent and Child spaces.

Yet more deliberately straddle two bays, or even park across bays to ensure their expensive German paintwork isn't scratched.

How's this for an example?

https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15181613_10210409243368032_8445251145648042571_n.j pg?oh=81cf054a5a4e87d0b53a64f45b8f1f98&oe=58BCEE3F

So whilst, in theory, the number of car parking bays will be reduced, there should be fewer unusable spaces, and less damage to vehicles parked in them.

Harold Gough
22nd November 2016, 08:50 PM
you can guarantee there will be a rusty Transit van full of hairy ar$ed builders in the next bay when you return. :(
One should shop at Waitrose.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
22nd November 2016, 09:19 PM
One should shop at Waitrose.

Harold

One would if one could, but Waitrose closed their Durham store a few years ago when the realised the (wealthy) students were only in the city for six months of the year.

Our closest Waitrose now is in Newcastle city centre, which is a nightmare to get to by car, or in Harrogate. Both are about an hour's drive, so we have to make do with Sainsbury's and the local Co-op; both of which are very good. But one still makes occasional visits to Waitrose to buy one's loose leaf tea. *yes

Waitrose went down in my opinion when they started giving away free coffee to entice the great unwashed into their stores. :D

I daresay we might see more of Her Maj in Sainsbury's if she is economising to pay for house repairs. ;)

Of course Harrods (pronounced Herrods), and Fortnum & Mason offer a valet service, which is jolly damned good of them.

Crazy Dave
22nd November 2016, 09:41 PM
Shouldn't that read .......jolly demmed good of them?

David

Naughty Nigel
22nd November 2016, 09:44 PM
Shouldn't that read .......jolly demmed good of them?

David

Yes of course old boy. That's what separates the affluent from the effluent isn't it; but just be careful how you pronounce 'affluent'. :D

iso
23rd November 2016, 08:55 PM
I daresay we might see more of Her Maj in Sainsbury's if she is economising to pay for house repairs. ;)

Give the Gel a chance, with those overheads more likely Liddell, after all it is Germanic. God luv yer Mum *chr

Sorry there does not seen to be a smiley with wine glasses *chr

Harold Gough
23rd November 2016, 09:10 PM
I daresay we might see more of Her Maj in Sainsbury's if she is economising to pay for house repairs.

If One buys two does One get one free? :D

Harold

drmarkf
23rd November 2016, 10:37 PM
Ah, yes, the Audi Q7.

It's always wise to consider what your car says about you.

That one says "I'm rich and brash and have a very small d1ck. Get out of my way".

:rolleyes:

Naughty Nigel
24th November 2016, 03:19 PM
Ah, yes, the Audi Q7.

It's always wise to consider what your car says about you.

That one says "I'm rich and brash and have a very small d1ck. Get out of my way".

:rolleyes:

Or; "I'm actually skint, with an ex wife to support and 3.2 children to send to second-rate independent schools, but I'm an arrogant dick and I want the world to think I'm loaded.

I have a huge mortgage but I got the Q7 on a good lease finance deal from work. It only has the small engine but the V8 badge impresses work colleagues.

I want you to get out of my way because if I have to slow down it will take me an hour to get back up to speed.

Please don't call around for tea as we have no carpets and the furniture has been repossessed."

drmarkf
24th November 2016, 03:26 PM
Right, on.

Actually, I do know one person who owned a Q7. He was actually charming and a real gent, but 'brash' did fit.

I can't comment on the other characteristic.

:D

Naughty Nigel
24th November 2016, 03:34 PM
Right, on.

Actually, I do know one person who owned a Q7. He was actually charming and a real gent, but 'brash' did fit.

I can't comment on the other characteristic.

My children reckon that Clarkson's description of Jag drivers is spot on too. :D

Clarkson on Jag Drivers