PDA

View Full Version : FaceBook Messenger

Ricoh
21st November 2016, 11:13 AM
Is it safe to use? I've heard mixed reviews.

Walti
21st November 2016, 11:18 AM
As is always the case with things like this, it's a matter of using appropriate tools for appropriate jobs.

Messenger is fine for low security chit-chat, never send anything sensitive! Bank account details, passwords and so on...

Simply assume that what you're doing is potentially public and act appropriately!

Naughty Nigel
21st November 2016, 12:28 PM
Why on earth would anybody bother to hack into the inane chat on Facebook messenger? :rolleyes:

It is probably as safe as email and other messaging services but I certainly wouldn't trust it with sensitive data.

I am more concerned that it wants to take over the text messaging service on my phone. :(

Ian
21st November 2016, 12:35 PM
I would recommend WhatsApp. It's encrypted and has good messaging (with imaging) facilities, including phone function (no charge apart from your Internet). I use it all the time for keeping in touch with the family and several colleagues. At one point I was using it to communicate with a doctor at the hospital where my father was in Bangkok.

Facebook Messenger is similar but I think WhatsApp is more evolved and is not restricted to your Facebook friends.

Ian

Ricoh
21st November 2016, 12:35 PM
Thanks Walti, I'm on messenger as a result of being in a street photography group, and all the time I'm getting friend requests, which I ignore bar a mere handful I'm happy with. One of those in the inner circle, as it were, sent a message using messenger, the content of which was 3 blank 1966.svg images that contained a virus. Fortunately I did not attempt to open the images, and hopeful I escaped (not easy to run anti virus on an iPad 2).

Wouldn't dream of using messenger for any of the things you mentioned, and I'm in two minds of ditching it if I can, whilst still being able to use FB. Don't know if that's possible though.

Ricoh
21st November 2016, 12:37 PM
Hi Ian, I use Whatsapp for my personal contacts, friends and family. FB messenger is for those 'virtual' friends.

Ross the fiddler
21st November 2016, 01:17 PM
I get a lot of scam whatsapp emails though. :rolleyes: And I don't even use it!

Ricoh
21st November 2016, 01:23 PM
I get a lot of scam whatsapp emails though. :rolleyes: And I don't even use it!

I use Whatsapp extensively, more so than MMS, not had one scam message in the past 4 or 5 years.

AMc
21st November 2016, 01:42 PM
I won't let Facebook near my contacts after their abortive @facebook.com email addresses replaced the real ones for people using their iOS app.
I use facebook in Safari on the iPhone which works fine, if I get messenger conversations they have to wait until I'm on a real computer.
FB have now turned off messenger on Safari for iOS so I'll probably use it even less than before rather than be railroaded into installing their app. YMMV.

The inanity of any conversation is related to the correspondents not the medium.

Otto
21st November 2016, 05:42 PM
I use the Messenger app on my iPhone 4S and have had no issues at all. Maybe it's too old to be of interest!

Harold Gough
25th November 2016, 06:20 PM
Beware of ransomware

https://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2016/11/21/locky-ransomware-fb-messenger/?lockyonfb=&ad_id=504789&share-ad-id=1

Harold

Ross the fiddler
26th November 2016, 12:24 AM
That's a warning to the careless. One shouldn't go following links like that to start with.