PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes hit Wales and Midlands

Ross the fiddler
18th November 2016, 04:39 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38016701?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

I hope everybody is safe. I have to check on my rellies yet. >:(

Naughty Nigel
18th November 2016, 08:14 AM
Thankfully the damage was very localised, and nobody was hurt.

But our weather just seems to be becoming wilder and less predictable.

We are promised snow this weekend which may provide some photographic opportunities. :)

Ross the fiddler
18th November 2016, 10:14 AM

We are promised snow this weekend which may provide some photographic opportunities. :)

I think that description can be applied to many places now & why I get frustrated with 'climate change deniers' (with an in-law that keeps posting that sort denial stuff on FB). :mad:

Anyhow, on the bright side, snow pictures make good viewing. :D

My wife teaches in the upper Mountains & doesn't enjoy (hates) the cold, but a 'snow day' is different & makes the cold worthwhile. ;)

*chr

David M
18th November 2016, 11:18 AM

Same in Ontario, the high for today is forecast to be 17C, by Sunday the high is forecast to be -2C. We had snow in October but so far November has been warn and dry.

drmarkf
18th November 2016, 11:58 AM
I get frustrated with 'climate change deniers' (with an in-law that keeps posting that sort denial stuff on FB). :mad:

Maybe you should ask them, if they don't accept the inconvenient scientific evidence on that, whether they accept the evidence in favour of looking left and right before crossing the road...

On the other hand, it's Christmas soon, so just have another beer. A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest, as Paul Simon knew back in 1970.

*chr

Harold Gough
19th November 2016, 07:35 AM

Maybe so but there is a myth that tornadoes a rarity in the British Isles. Like the "hole in one" in golf, there are quite a few of them each year. There may now be even more of them but they are not new.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
19th November 2016, 09:46 PM
Maybe so but there is a myth that tornadoes a rarity in the British Isles. Like the "hole in one" in golf, there are quite a few of them each year. There may now be even more of them by they are not new.

Harold

Tornadoes are certainly not new in the UK, but they are becoming more frequent and more dangerous. They tend to be associated with Cumulonimbus clouds (often known as 'hammer head' or thunder clouds), so anything that increases the amount of energy (heat and humidity) in the atmosphere will also increase the number of tornadoes.

Most tornadoes occur over open land and so do little harm. But it probably doesn't help that we are now building on more and more green fields, so tornadoes are increasingly likely to affect built up areas.

Ross the fiddler
19th November 2016, 10:17 PM
And it looks like there's more wild weather to come.
Storm Angus: South-east England braced for 80mph winds (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38038992?ocid)

iso
20th November 2016, 05:41 PM
And it looks like there's more wild weather to come.
Storm Angus: South-east England braced for 80mph winds (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38038992?ocid)

Have to admit I slept through it - well past my bedtime - however checking this morning a few big pots, a bird table and small tree blown over, plus pond overflowed, so there must have been something going on.:eek:

Jim Ford
20th November 2016, 07:18 PM
I think that description can be applied to many places now & why I get frustrated with 'climate change deniers' (with an in-law that keeps posting that sort denial stuff on FB). :mad:

I saw a news item where some scientists have predicted a possible rise of 7 degrees by the end of the century, if no action is taken. In this case it's game over for all life on Earth, as we'll be locked into a thermal runaway which will end up with the Earth like Venus.

Ask your in-law how confident they are with their ideas on global warming Ross!

Jim

Ross the fiddler
21st November 2016, 01:47 AM
I saw a news item where some scientists have predicted a possible rise of 7 degrees by the end of the century, if no action is taken. In this case it's game over for all life on Earth, as we'll be locked into a thermal runaway which will end up with the Earth like Venus.

Ask your in-law how confident they are with their ideas on global warming Ross!

Jim

I've given up on asking as he is locked into his own ideas & beliefs & gullible for things you & I wouldn't trust or believe. Some people just continue to live life in their ignorance or obsessions. :rolleyes: As long as science findings are true & trustworthy & governments react sensibly without influences from money driven lobby groups (e.g. gun lobby & tobacco companies in the US) then maybe there might be some hope, but money speaks loudly & frequently corrupts those responsible for it. :( My concern is the doubling of CO2 since industrialisation where it is now & it's effect on the environment as well as the other greenhouse gasses (methane & nitrous oxides - NOx (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOx)). Anyhow, I hope world governments can achieve something to slow the effects (would be better to stop or ideally reverse, but that isn't going to happen), but...... *shrug

EDIT: This is the sort of nonsense he posts.
https://www.facebook.com/malcolmrobertsonenation/videos/964559260354621/

Naughty Nigel
21st November 2016, 10:53 AM
I visited a certain car forum over the weekend to gather some information.

Unfortunately, being the internet, there is nothing to stop Americans from joining. :(

The gentleman in question told us that he has two cars; a V8 for his wife to drive, and to go shopping in, and a V12 for longer journeys. He then commented that he wouldn't be seen driving anything smaller than a V8 as (I quote) "they are only driven by failures and low achievers."

With attitudes like that is it any wonder that America is one of the most polluting nations on the planet. :(

Ross the fiddler
21st November 2016, 11:12 AM
That's the biggest problem. Attitude! :(

Wally
22nd November 2016, 09:19 AM
Referring to another thread, this is just one more reason I would not like to come back... there would be nothing to come back to.

DerekW
22nd November 2016, 09:40 AM
There is a vast quantity of US drivers not using V8s or V12s

I think your author was extracting the micturate

Wally
22nd November 2016, 09:55 AM
There is a vast quantity of US drivers not using V8s or V12s... - I think your author was extracting the micturate *yes

Those must be the failures and low achievers that were referred to? ;)