PDA

View Full Version : EM1 MkII Weather Sealing Test (video)

Ricoh
17th November 2016, 08:40 AM
Quite remarkable achievement from the designers.

http://thephoblographer.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=c936e6d50a1b870cefefb7762&id=25b72e9c12&e=b8a5b56ba0

Grumpy Hec
18th November 2016, 02:33 PM
Bonkers. For the record I will not be trying that :eek:

Hec

Riphur
18th November 2016, 10:08 PM
I have already used my e-m5 mk ii in the rain, but I will never put it like that under water

Wee man
19th November 2016, 09:22 AM
I think, why? Rain yes waterfalls no!

Wee Man

timboo
19th November 2016, 09:34 AM
Least it makes cleaning it easy

Ricoh
19th November 2016, 10:00 AM
Obviously, it's not to encourage you to take similar action (well, how many of us have a faucet for God's sake, only taps where I live) but to demonstrate by extreme it should be ok out in the elements, rain, snow etc.

Graham_of_Rainham
19th November 2016, 10:02 AM
Years ago I was shooting waves breaking at Portland bill. I was covered in sea water and spray. When finished I went in the cafe to warm up and washed my camera under the tap. A photographer stood next to me, asked what I was doing, saying I'd ruin the camera.

In a reply worthy of the old David Bailey adds, I told him it was an Olympus and it could take getting wet...

It was one of the forerunners of the "Tough" range, and is still going strong.

I think they learned a lot from that range and designs.

Gwyver
19th November 2016, 04:26 PM
I don't think that test under the tap was all that extreme - the water flow wasn't particularly intense and never covered the entire camera + lens at any time. A few minutes under a power shower would be more impressive!

Hill walking in continuous rain for several hours with the camera unprotected strikes me as more severe. My various OM-Ds have each experienced this on several occasions - and always survived without a glitch.
I've come to expect that they will be OK in these conditions and would be very disappointed if anything went wrong. It's one of the reasons why I returned to the Olympus brand when I bought my first DSLR (an E-3).

Clockwork Donkey
24th January 2017, 10:55 AM
What brand of washing powder do Olympus recommend, or should I ask Hotpoint?

Otto
24th January 2017, 01:35 PM
Nothing new ;)

What happens you mix a waterfall and an OM-D? - YouTube

blu-by-u
25th January 2017, 03:03 AM
After a day at the beach, with all the sand, salt and stuff, Running it under a tap would be the best thing to do. I did that with the EM5mk1 long ago. nothing untoward happened. I totally trust Olympus when they say it's weather seal, it will be.

mack100
25th January 2017, 04:59 PM
Interesting point to replace the hot shoe cover when washing under the tap.
I wonder if this would apply during general use in the rain, for some reason I always take my hot shoe cover off and store it so safely I can never find it again.