PDA

View Full Version : Which SD Card?

ashtonsd
16th November 2016, 09:43 AM
So with my pre-order in for an E-M1 Mark II, I am in the market for an SD Card which will be suitable to make the most of the camera's speed and c4k video recordings.

My current cards are Sandisk Extreme Pro (95 MBs, UHS Type 1, U3) cards.
Will these be fast enough, especially for c4k recordings?

Currently Sandisk have UHS Type II cards at 280 MBs up to 64gb and the new 300 MBs cards for pre-order at up to 128gb but these are considerably more money then the 95 MBs cards.

While I am prepared to buy the most expensive cards if they are required I obviously want to save a few quid if possible!

Note I am not too bothered with transfer speeds for getting the pictures off the camera.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Graham_of_Rainham
16th November 2016, 10:12 AM
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-sd-memory-cards-tested-2016-17827

I always use small cards and swap/download very frequently.

But if you want to do video or lots of sequence shots it's going to be expensive

Ross the fiddler
16th November 2016, 10:38 AM
Since you're going for the Mk II that can record 4K video etc & has the top SD card slot that takes UHS Type II cards, then the Sandisk UHS Type II cards at 280 MBs up to 64gb would be perfect for that upper slot & your existing cards for the lower slot (being limited to UHS Type I cards). Keep in mind the file sizes are going to be larger than the previous 16MP models plus you will need more speed with capacity for anything that takes up to 60fps like the ProCapture feature. I personally wouldn't use anything less than 64GB in the upper slot & preferably nothing less than 32GB in the lower (unless as a spare backup).

I hope you enjoy the E-M1 Mk II when you get it. *yes I'd be very surprised if you don't. ;)

*chr

Ian
16th November 2016, 10:55 AM
The E-M1 II has two slots, but only one is fully UHS-II compliant. Ordinary cards can write at up to around 95MB/second but typically it's more like 20 or 40. UHS-II can reach 300MB/sec. This is most useful if you are using the 60fps full resolution ProCapture mode, for example. I haven't checked but it may even be that ProCapture requires a UHS-II card as 47 19MB RAW files, for example, add up to nearly 900MB of files.

Ian

Ian
16th November 2016, 10:56 AM
4K movies should be fine with a fast standard (Type I) card.

Ian

Graham_of_Rainham
16th November 2016, 11:01 AM
Has Olympus ever "recommended" any particular make of card?

drmarkf
16th November 2016, 11:34 AM

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_xd.asp

:D

A couple of weeks ago I helped out a fellow local camera club member who's wife's old Olympus point-and-shoot had screwed up its 500Mb xd card. In the past she'd only ever downloaded images via wire.

I keep a selection of old technology in a box for just this sort of eventuality, and had kept an old multi-card reader that had an xd slot, plus I also had the correct ancient USB cable that fitted. He used a file recovery program and recovered all but 2 images, including some from their daughter's wedding.

Those XDs had a reputation for unreliability as I recall.

Ross the fiddler
16th November 2016, 11:37 AM

Since Olympus has Sandisk & Toshiba in their compatibility tables, I'll take that as a recommendation. *yes :D For E-M1 Mk II http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/compati/media/sd/en_2016_04.cfm

Ian
16th November 2016, 12:01 PM
Since Olympus has Sandisk & Toshiba in their compatibility tables, I'll take that as a recommendation. *yes :D For E-M1 Mk II http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/compati/media/sd/en_2016_04.cfm

We used Lexar Professional 2000x UHS-II cards at the Ronda event.

I would be very happy to use SanDisk, Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba, and Lexar.

Ian

ashtonsd
16th November 2016, 02:13 PM
So by my rough calculations:
c4k @ 237Mbps = approx 30MBps
All U3 cards should be capable of a minimum sustained rate of 30MBps so any U3 card should be fine for the 4k video recording.

A 64GB card would give approx 36 minutes of video.

It all boils down to the speed needed for the burst rate / buffer emptying.

I am leaning towards a higher capacity UHS-I card (U3) in slot 2 for the video, say 128gb, and a smaller capacity UHS-II card in Slot 1 for the photos.

Of course my calculations could be wrong ;-)