PDA

View Full Version : Finally bit the bullet on a 7-14

Greytop
15th November 2016, 01:10 AM
It turned up today, very pleased, it's certainly a fair bit more compact than my old 7-14 f/4 :)

Ross the fiddler
15th November 2016, 03:21 AM
It turned up today, very pleased, it's certainly a fair bit more compact than my of 7-14 f/4 :)

That's great Huw. *yes For myself, I lashed out & got the 40-150 Pro lens + MC14 just because my 50-200 SWD lens developed a fault (sticky aperture blades).
It's always fun having new 'toys'. :D

Anyhow, I'm waiting to see results from you with that new lens mate. ;) :D

*chr

blu-by-u
15th November 2016, 06:58 AM
Congratulations on you new acquisition.

I still cannot convince myself on that want.

Greytop
15th November 2016, 08:51 AM
That's great Huw. *yes For myself, I lashed out & got the 40-150 Pro lens + MC14 just because my 50-200 SWD lens developed a fault (sticky aperture blades).
It's always fun having new 'toys'. :D

Anyhow, I'm waiting to see results from you with that new lens mate. ;) :D

*chr

Thanks Ross, I'm looking forward to putting it to use next time we're out and about.
The 40-150 + MC-14 is a great combination too, mine gets a fair bit of use but the 12-40 still comes out on top (in the usage stakes) *yes

With the shiny new 7-14 in my bag I'm now contemplating whether I need to hang on to my lovely little Samyang 7.5 mm :confused:

Greytop
15th November 2016, 08:57 AM
Congratulations on you new acquisition.

I still cannot convince myself on that want.

Thanks, it took me some while to convince myself, I nearly opted for the Panasonic 7-14 but in the end the purple blob issues put pay to that.
My little Samyang gets a reasonable amount of use so I figured it was time go wide angle rectilinear again :D

drmarkf
15th November 2016, 09:09 AM
Good choice!

I love this lens, although because of the bulk and weight it's not something I carry around unless I'm specifically setting out to do landscape work. In contrast, the Samyang fisheye slips almost unnoticed in the bag or pocket - it also gives a completely different perspective so I've certainly kept mine.

Greytop
15th November 2016, 01:22 PM
Good choice!

I love this lens, although because of the bulk and weight it's not something I carry around unless I'm specifically setting out to do landscape work. In contrast, the Samyang fisheye slips almost unnoticed in the bag or pocket - it also gives a completely different perspective so I've certainly kept mine.

Thanks Mark, bulk and weight are all relative of course, in comparison to my Sigma sd Quattro and 18-35 Art the E-M1 and 7-14 (or 12-40) are very manageable :D

OM USer
15th November 2016, 01:36 PM
Enjoy. Time will tell whether its permanently in your bag or only when you think you may need it.

pdk42
15th November 2016, 01:39 PM
I think my Panasonic 7-14 is my most used lens - esp in terms of shots that are keepers or that I print (mostly long-exposure landscapes). Courtesy of a rear filter frame and UV filter from Steve (Ricoh) I've solved the purple blob issue to a large extent, but I'd still like that Oly 7-14! Trouble is that there's not only the price of the lens, but another 100 or so for the filter attachment and 10-stop ND.

Greytop
15th November 2016, 02:00 PM
Filters, yes that's likely to be an impending purchase in the not too distant future.

drmarkf
15th November 2016, 05:47 PM
I've had the Nisi custom filter carrier from Phil Norton for a while now. I haven't used it that much, but have done more in the last few weeks and have found it fine.

I use a mix of Nisi and Lee 100mm square filters plus a Nisi polariser, all without problems (although you only use the POL for water shots in the woods, because the UWA does daft things to skies!).

I've had no problems with light leakage nor with the light gaskets failing (which apparently some people have suffered: a couple of months ago Phil sent everyone who'd bought one a new set of gaskets, but I've just stored mine for now).

I think I got some nice semi-long exposures of scudding clouds and windmills with the system on the South Downs 10 days ago, but I've been so busy since I've been back I haven't had time to do more than glance at them. It certainly gives a unique view.

Gwyver
15th November 2016, 06:06 PM
Filters, yes that's likely to be an impending purchase in the not too distant future.

Huw,
I still have a Phil Norton adapter for the Oly 7-14+ Nisi filter folder + ND grad available for sale - when your "not too distant future" arises.
For further details see:- http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43110

Please PM me if you are interested.

yorky
15th November 2016, 07:31 PM
It turned up today, very pleased, it's certainly a fair bit more compact than my old 7-14 f/4 :)
Yes that was a beast, it frightened me to death with that huge expanse of glass protruding in front.

Loup Garou
25th December 2016, 01:36 PM
IMO, the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 is probably the best lens that Olympus have come out with so far. Great build quality, superb optical performance and reasonably portable for a fast wide-zoon lens. Even at 7mm barrel distortion is minimal and the ultra wide focal length creates so many outdoor creative opportunities.

drmarkf
25th December 2016, 06:46 PM
Yes, for landscape I agree.

It does have one undoubted weakness - there is some field curvature at f2.8 which leads some people to say it's actually soft wide-open. I've never used it at f2.8 and I can't see much reason to (maybe Astro-photography?) and I'd have been happier if it had been an f4 and so smaller and lighter :D

However, to the best of my knowledge there's only one ultra wide zoom lens that is actually better wide open, and that's the Nikon 14-24 f2.8 (although possibly the new Canon might now equal it). The Zuiko is in very good company - even the 16-18-21 tri-Elmar is apparently soft wide open, and that's at f4.0 and it costs around 4x as much!

Loup Garou
25th December 2016, 08:24 PM
I'd have been happier if it had been an f4 and so smaller and lighter :D
The only other m43 lens with that spec you quote is the Panasonic equivalent. It is slightly smaller and considerably lighter but when I checked it out, was unimpressed with its build quality. Reviews have indicated significant wave distortion and corner light fall-off, a lot more than the Olympus PRO.

pdk42
25th December 2016, 08:33 PM
The only other m43 lens with that spec you quote is the Panasonic equivalent. It is slightly smaller and considerably lighter but when I checked it out, was unimpressed with its build quality. Reviews have indicated significant wave distortion and corner light fall-off, a lot more than the Olympus PRO.

I'm sure the Olympus is a bit better optically, but I have the Pany 7-14 and I can promise you there is no wave distortion of any significance and I don't think the light fall off is anything worse either. Its biggest weakness is purple flare on Olympus sensors, but this be fixed with a rear UV gel filter. I'm picky about lens performance but am quite happy with results from the Panasonic.

Loup Garou
25th December 2016, 08:39 PM
I accept your comment on optical performance but I felt that the plastic bodywork was too flimsy for all the elements that it enclosed. I know that lightweight construction and portability are one of the major advantages of the m43 system but IMO Olympus have got that balance better with all their lenses than Panasonic. The Leica ones are fine of course, but some of the standard ones are almost tacky. The best ( or worst, depending on the way you look at it) is the Panasonic 35-100 f4-5.6 which I owned for a year before selling on. Fine optically but it felt that it would come apart at the slightest jar.

pdk42
25th December 2016, 10:25 PM
I accept your comment on optical performance but I felt that the plastic bodywork was too flimsy for all the elements that it enclosed. I know that lightweight construction and portability are one of the major advantages of the m43 system but IMO Olympus have got that balance better with all their lenses than Panasonic. The Leica ones are fine of course, but some of the standard ones are almost tacky. The best ( or worst, depending on the way you look at it) is the Panasonic 35-100 f4-5.6 which I owned for a year before selling on. Fine optically but it felt that it would come apart at the slightest jar.

You're probably right, but I think it's worth pointing a few things out:

- Polycarb is a pretty good material for making lenses since it'll flex under extreme load (e.g. dropping) rather than inelastically deforming like metal does. It's also got better thermal expansion properties so it won't vary in tolerance so much with temperature. It's also quicker and cheaper to manufacture of course making the lenses cheaper, all other things being equal.

- The Oly pro lenses are only really "metal veneer". The main carcass is poly-carbonate (for all the reasons above!).

Now, I totally accept that there's a certain tactile quality in handling a metal lens - which is exactly why Oly build the Pro lenses as they do.

Cheap plastic construction can certainly be taken too far. I hate the idea of plastic bayonet mounts and there's definitely a level at which perceived construction quality falls below acceptable - I'd put the 14-42R in that category and the cheaper Pany lenses.

As to the Panasonic 7-14 - I'm OK with it. I like its compact form factor and I think the build quality is no worse than the Oly 1.8 plastic primes (i.e. the 25 and the 45).

At the other end of the extreme, there are the real all-metal lenses like the Voigtlander 17.5 f0.95. I've just got a new copy of that and it feels wonderful and beautifully-engineered. But I sure wish it weighed a lot less!

Loup Garou
26th December 2016, 10:47 AM
Actually, I own and quite like the Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 IIR and the Olympus 40-150mm f4-5.6 II, both of which I use with my Pen-F. Yes, I wish the lens mounts were metal but even in the present guise, they a better build quality than the basic Panasonic lenses. The polycarb material feels sturdier in the Olympi and the zoom function better damped than the rather rattly movement of the Panasonic 35-100mm f4-5.6 that I returned once and sold the replacement.