PDA

View Full Version : any feature and quality comparison sites?

MarkVarley
17th January 2009, 10:34 PM
any feature and quality comparison sites for olympus e series?

I currently have an E300, which I love, but it's time to upgrade.

I'd like an E3, can't afford it.

I'd also love an E30, even when the price drops I would struggle to afford it.

I had an E520 in my hands today, I can afford it but on which points is it lacking below the above two and how much better is it than my E300?

and while I'm at it, how about the E510 (came between the E500 and E520 I think)?

Does anyone know of a site that enables a simple side-by-side comparison between these cameras?

Also anyone who has used an E300 and any of the others that can offer me some in-the-field feedback?

rich s
17th January 2009, 11:08 PM
Also anyone who has used an E300 and any of the others that can offer me some in-the-field feedback?

Hi Mark,

I think it depends on what sort of work you do ..
The obvious difference between E510, E300, E330, EXX, and E3, E510, E520 is Image Stabilisation, which gives roughly 2-3 stops difference. So if you're often using longer lenses eg 50-200, or out in low light, then its a major advantage.

In practice, IQ between E3 and E520 is hardly noticeable. Both use a stronger AA filter, so at first sight images are softer than with say E510. But they sharpen up very well, and help to give a very natural looking "Oly" image. In terms of Noise, then E3 beats them all, followed by E520, E420, then I guess E330. I happily go to ISO 800 on my E520, then use Noiseware Pro to finish.

Of course if you need full weatherproofing and tank-like build then its E3. If not, then the soon to arrive E30 fits the bill, but will be outside your budget.

If IS and high ISO is not a priority, I would look at an E330. I used mine for three months in the summer away from home, and the results were superb. It somehow has a colour and tonality that later models lack, plus Live View A & B. Images are very sharp, and its not a bad ISO performer either. The swivel LCD is excellent as well and very versatile in use. These cameras are rapidly becoming quite sought after as people appreciate just how good they are. Failing that, there is always the E1 - that old war horse that still produces stunning results that many still maintain can't be beaten.

I would miss out the E510 - the E520 added many features and improvements and overcomes the "blown highlights" problem of the earlier model. Its quite a bargain these days, and also has IS for legacy lenses if that's your thing, plus wireless flash control - (same as the E3) and a far better LCD (more accurate colour, brighter, more contrasty and clearer)

I still have my E300, and although it produces great results, mine always suffered from inconsistent WB and metering. The LCD was pretty small as well!

Good luck.

Rich S

MarkVarley
17th January 2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks Rich,

The main reason I'm drawn to upgrade is I'm feeling the need for more pixels for some of my work, that rules out the E330.

Image Stabilisation would be a great help, those extra couple of stops will make a real difference.

I'd also like to be able to explore further into the ISO than I realistically can now, mostly to get some extra stops again.

Weatherproofing isn't really an issue, I use a cover now when in the rain and I try hard to avoid that anyway.

Wireless flash control, not an issue, I always set my strobes manually anyway.

Live view would be great for IR work and a swivel screen would be a bonus for that I guess.

I'm drifting towards E520 here I think, have to find a grip for it too, and the best price!

rich s
17th January 2009, 11:40 PM
Hi Mark,

I'd go along with that.

I must admit I find the E520 about the most user friendly cam I've had, and the one I pick up most (that's with the G1 and the E330 etc available). I just sold my E3. Excellent as it was, the weight & size was something I didn't need, and I rarely used the many features. I like to keep things simple I guess! Image wise I really didn't feel I was missing out on the E3 to be honest.

I took it on a hol to Morocco last month and found it ideal. Perfect size, good grip, accurate metering, WB, always consistant, and easy to carry around. Should be some price adjustments coming along soon with the E30 out and other announcements on the way apparently.

Some images here (colour shots are from E520, B&W from Ricoh): http://www.pbase.com/richsimp1/morocco_dec_08&page=all

Ellie
19th January 2009, 11:16 PM
Have you looked at Andrzej Wrotniak's site? He doesn't do a chart of features, but his reports might help.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/index.html

MarkVarley
20th January 2009, 12:13 AM
Have you looked at Andrzej Wrotniak's site? He doesn't do a chart of features, but his reports might help.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/index.html

I didn't think to look there, thanks ellie!