Naughty Nigel
14th November 2016, 11:08 AM
Not heard from your friends recently?

https://www.grahamcluley.com/facebook-tell-friends-died/

Harold

If you spend too much time on FaceBook you might as well be. :rolleyes:

Crazy Dave
14th November 2016, 04:00 PM
Facebook has its uses but generally chock-a-block with inane rubbish. Take my word for it, the world according to Zuckerberg will bring civilisation to an end while most of the population sleep walks into oblivion. Make things? No way when I can tell my friends that I've just left the kharsie.

Just imagine the loss of useful productivity that is lost. I'm going to have a word in Trump's ear, the wall would be finished very quickly if every FB user donated their social media time, if Ferago can get an audience..........

Today, I saw a young woman, child in its buggy on the phone, stationary in the middle of the road, crazy or what? If you never hear from me again, I will have incarcerated by the thought police. Despite that, I'm about to start a movement that will boycott FB, Twitter, Pininterest et al.

Yours in ludditism

David

George Dorn
15th November 2016, 07:20 AM
Having just been introduced to Facebook by my older sister, I'm loving it. It might be necessary to be selective about which content to receive, but by and large it's a fun way to communicate.

People can sleepwalk into oblivion (if that is where you think we are headed) in front of Eastenders if they prefer, but that particular opiate fnord the masses is well established and doesn't come in for the same level of opprobrium any more.

Naughty Nigel
15th November 2016, 10:55 AM
Having just been introduced to Facebook by my older sister, I'm loving it. It might be necessary to be selective about which content to receive, but by and large it's a fun way to communicate.

FaceBook can be fun; just as putting 1 on a nag's nose on Grand National day, or the occasional pint or two at the pub can be fun for those with self control; but equally, FaceBook can become a serious addiction which destroys lives.

There is the unpalatable side of Facebook of course, the bullying, the blackmailing, the exposing and the death threats, which are viewed tens of thousands of times, but FB refuse to take down because they rely on page views for advertising revenue.

FaceBook is now seen as a normal 'social life' by members of the younger generation, many of whom have lost the art of speaking to one another face to face, and can no longer reason with one another; which some would argue has contributed to the appalling loss of life to knife crime.

However, the main reason for my dislike of this medium is that FaceBook addicts feel compelled to 'like', reply to, and 'share' every mundane joke, status update and post that they receive. And worse than that, it must be done NOW, for fear of losing 'friends' they have never met, and who they probably wouldn't speak to even if they bumped into them in the street!

Meal times are no longer shared with family as any communication must be by phone.

Emails can wait, but FB personal messages must be replied to instantly, even whilst driving, to discuss last night's soaps, the match, or to plan tonight's meal out at MacDonald's. :(

Then there are those who feel compelled to post photographs of the road, traffic jams, their fuel gauge, or their speedometer whilst driving to 'share' with friends. :mad:

Are these things really so important that they are worth losing your licence or a life for?

People can sleepwalk into oblivion (if that is where you think we are headed) in front of Eastenders if they prefer, but that particular opiate fnord the masses is well established and doesn't come in for the same level of opprobrium any more.

The 'idiot's lantern' undoubtedly has a lot to answer for. I would aver that the rot set in as early as 1954 with the establishment of the Independent Television Authority in UK. (I will concede that the BBC had broadcast The Archers and Mrs Dale's Diary on the wireless for several years previously, but these hardly celebrated mediocrity in the mould of Coronation Street, Hollyoaks or 'Stenders :().

The downward spiral accelerated in 1982 with the formation of Channel 4 television, but the decline became terminal with the introduction of satellite television, and Freeview where the dross now outweighs quality broadcasting by at least ten to one.

Now with the advent of 60" and even 72" idiot's lanterns the idiots just get bigger and bigger! :rolleyes:

Harold Gough
15th November 2016, 11:23 AM
Nigel,

You have justified FB as an invaluable source of evidence of stupidity at the wheel. Perhaps the only PC to be encountered will be from Traffic Division.

Perhaps the obsession with personal trivia shows an epidemic of Inferiority Complex or is it Delusions of Grandeur? An interesting research project?

Getting back to the original subject of the thread, maybe a motion detector app could record an obituary automatically when phone use causes an accident?

Harold

Beagletorque
15th November 2016, 05:30 PM
Have you not received your mandatory Bluetooth heart rate monitor from the DWP yet?? No pulse, no payment!

jdal
15th November 2016, 10:59 PM
Almost as much dross on this thread as you could find on Facebook. Or the Daily Mail. Or Fox News. Or a Donald Trump manifesto. ;)

All of the young, intelligent people I know, many who travel widely, use Facebook well, to keep in touch, inform friends of where they are & what they're up to (not breakfast, but what the job's doing, what the crack is in Jo'berg etc). This stuff would be hard to do without it. My daughter's work keeps her moving around. It would be IMPOSSIBLE for her to keep her friendships going without FB or something similar.

I use it for several reasons, keep abreast of stuff in the climbing club, get plants/fungi identified, share local photographs, see what's happening in the County and get my news from selected press.

If you do use it it's pretty easy to hide the dross, and if you don't need it nor want it, don't use it. Doesn't make you a Luddite!

I do agree with the anti-Zuckerberg sentiment expressed here though. The bloke is in denial about the lies propagated and the abuse dished out on his network. But to be fair that's no different from the tabloid press.

George Dorn
16th November 2016, 12:36 AM
All of the young, intelligent people I know, many who travel widely, use Facebook well, to keep in touch, inform friends of where they are & what they're up to (not breakfast, but what the job's doing, what the crack is in Jo'berg etc).

Hear hear!

On the other hand, however, stupid will be stupid :rolleyes: But poor behaviour isn't restricted to Facebook users, nor social media generally. I can remember some embarrassing photographs being posted on the inside of a photo processing shop outlet window by the staff when it closed and remaining there for some time, while the victims were presumably mortified.

One shouldn't believe everything posted on Facebook, nor everything written in the Express, either.

This is the last link I shared on Facebook, by the way. I did it because I knew that many of my Facebook friends would laugh as much as I did:-

Link (http://jayadan.tumblr.com/post/152762991172/pendejx-i-literally-cry-from-laughing-so-hard)

Crazy Dave
16th November 2016, 01:22 AM
Almost as much dross on this thread as you could find on Facebook. Or the Daily Mail. Or Fox News. Or a Donald Trump manifesto. ;)

All of the young, intelligent people I know, many who travel widely, use Facebook well, to keep in touch, inform friends of where they are & what they're up to (not breakfast, but what the job's doing, what the crack is in Jo'berg etc). This stuff would be hard to do without it. My daughter's work keeps her moving around. It would be IMPOSSIBLE for her to keep her friendships going without FB or something similar.

I use it for several reasons, keep abreast of stuff in the climbing club, get plants/fungi identified, share local photographs, see what's happening in the County and get my news from selected press.

If you do use it it's pretty easy to hide the dross, and if you don't need it nor want it, don't use it. Doesn't make you a Luddite!

I do agree with the anti-Zuckerberg sentiment expressed here though. The bloke is in denial about the lies propagated and the abuse dished out on his network. But to be fair that's no different from the tabloid press.

John, you have a point. However, my views about FB changed last year. While working on a photographic competition, I edited a document in Word where I had to erase the author's name because all entries were to be judged anonymously. Two days later FB asked me if I wanted to be 'friends' with said person. Zuckerberg's organisation is delving into my personal information without my knowledge or consent in order to accumulate vast wealth. Keeping in touch conveniently carries a huge price, the extent of which is unknowable and unimaginable. Nothing, but nothing is for nothing.

As for said Mr Z's vow to eradicate illness, the amount he has pledged is but a drop in the ocean compared to for example a) his total wealth and b) a month's spend by the NHS.

David

Harold Gough
16th November 2016, 07:05 AM
But to be fair that's no different from the tabloid press.

Spot on! Newspapers are a waste of money but are good for lighting a bonfire, so we need a few during the year. Do young people who use FB know what a newspaper is?

Harold

jdal
16th November 2016, 07:07 AM
... Two days later FB asked me if I wanted to be 'friends' with said person. Zuckerberg's organisation is delving into my personal information without my knowledge or consent in order to accumulate vast wealth. Keeping in touch conveniently carries a huge price, the extent of which is unknowable and unimaginable. Nothing, but nothing is for nothing.
David

Indeed Dave, thanks for reminding me of that unsavoury aspect of these sites. Google are just as bad. Add to this that the government can access all the information your ISP has on you. Then those pesky cameras that can track your car number plate around the country or your face in a crowd. It's a scary world where you have to be a hermit or belong to a jungle tribe to have any privacy.

George Dorn
16th November 2016, 08:12 AM
The data we generate is now freely trafficked.

How many people tick the box on the electoral registration form to stop the council including them on the registers they sell? Or knew that most authorities require you to opt out repeatedly or be included again?

And, don't get me started on store loyalty cards!

Harold Gough
16th November 2016, 08:35 AM
The data we generate is now freely trafficked.

How many people tick the box on the electoral registration form to stop the council including them on the registers they sell? Or knew that most authorities require you to opt out repeatedly or be included again?!

This family is opted out. All you need to do is to reconfirm this on the annual electoral registration.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
16th November 2016, 12:34 PM

People were travelling the world long before FaceBook.

How on earth did we survive for so long without it? :rolleyes:

One shouldn't believe everything posted on Facebook, nor everything written in the Express, either.

Hmmm. It seems questions are being asked about FaceBook's role in Trump being elected as President of the USA. :rolleyes:

BBC Report - Facebook investigating censorship claim (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36285643)

jdal
16th November 2016, 12:50 PM
People were travelling the world long before FaceBook.

How on earth did we survive for so long without it? :rolleyes:

How on earth did we survive making cotton before power looms? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You could ask the same question about telephones.

Fact is many people lost touch and relationships didn't survive before the time of modern communications, of which the Internet is just the latest part. And not just FB - there are a plethora of other methods.

Naughty Nigel
16th November 2016, 01:38 PM
How on earth did we survive making cotton before power looms? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You could ask the same question about telephones.

Fact is many people lost touch and relationships didn't survive before the time of modern communications, of which the Internet is just the latest part. And not just FB - there are a plethora of other methods.

But do we really need to know what you ate for breakfast, and your subsequent visit to 'wor netty'? :D

AMc
17th November 2016, 10:59 AM
Completely agree. I graduated just on the cusp of email making it past the Computer Studies courses. My friends scattered across the county and then the globe, leaving obsolete landline numbers and rental addresses.
Then Friends Reunited and personal email arrived and I found some of them, then Facebook and I'm in touch with people I haven't been able to see for 20 years.
I don't have a close enough relationship to call them all the time but it's nice to keep in touch with them and share pictures of our kids, hobbies and achievements.

If you don't like pictures of people's breakfast, you have a problem with the message not the medium ;)

Harold Gough
17th November 2016, 11:24 AM
My friends scattered across the county and then the globe, leaving obsolete landline numbers and rental addresses.
Interesting. We have had more problems, but not many, with changed email addresses.

Somehwere, we have a family private blog but I can't remember that last time I accessed it and, even then, it had mostly fallen into disuse.

Harold

DerekW
17th November 2016, 11:40 AM
The advent of FB killed my email conversations with friends around the globe, they all prefer to have bit sized comments rather subject and matter. Now all my email is commercially related.
Better not go too far on this thread as it is getting too much a FB page with different parties Likeing comments.

Naughty Nigel
17th November 2016, 01:33 PM
The advent of FB killed my email conversations with friends around the globe, they all prefer to have bit sized comments rather subject and matter. Now all my email is commercially related.

FaceBook is certainly easy to use for quick comments and posting photographs, and is much less formal than email.

I find that those relatives who chose not to use Facebook (mainly the elderly) tend to be neglected as there is much more effort involved in writing an email.

My objections are the inane nature of so many posts, and the addictive nature of the medium, which is aimed primarily at those of impressionable age who should be studying!

jdal
17th November 2016, 02:05 PM
My objections are the inane nature of so many posts, and the addictive nature of the medium,

You seem to be getting addicted to this thread ;) ;)

which is aimed primarily at those of impressionable age who should be studying!
Now now, that's not true! It's aimed at anyone who wants to use it. It even breaks unwritten privacy codes in the name of giving its users ads tailored to them, so that the 89% of it's users, who are over 18 don't get ads for kiddies stuff.

http://www.fourthsource.com/news/facebook-uk-stats-you-should-know-8577

PS I'm not cheerleading for FB, just trying to correct what I consider to be misinformation.

I get fratchety about this because for years our climbing club was in decline, and under-30s were not joining or participating, we tried websites, groups like this one here all to no avail. Whenever we suggested trying to use FB we encountered the objections that have been voiced here. Eventually we decided to send a nice communique round to members telling them that in future all the latest meet advertising etc. would be on FB. We also included instructions on how to stay safe & hidden from the world at large to allay fears of people who had been reticent to use FB. The club is now thriving with mostly young people now running the show. And members of all ages contribute to our FB discussions.

Bikie John
17th November 2016, 02:25 PM
If you don't like pictures of people's breakfast, you have a problem with the message not the medium ;)

Perfect summing-up. Thank you.

John

Otto
17th November 2016, 04:14 PM
I use Facebook as a sort of "clearing house" where I can find information and news about people, companies, artists etc in whom I'm interested without having to trawl through dozens of websites. The weather has been bad here in the Dales today and the North Yorkshire Snow Updates page has bang-up-to-date information on road conditions from people out in them. I can find out what local gigs are on without having to look up every venue, etc etc.

Yes, there's a great deal of rubbish out there but most of it can be filtered out very easily. I do wonder about people whose friends list is in four figures though - I just wonder how many of them they actually know!