PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Windows 10 reinstallation

blu-by-u
12th November 2016, 04:33 AM
Is it possible to reinstall Windows 10 on a completely new HDD without have to pay?

I have a laptop that was previously installed with Win8.0 then upgraded to Win8.1. Then Microsoft gave that free upgrade to Win10. It's more than 1 year since. But that :eek: skeleton/ ghost/ dead body :eek: of that W8.0 and 8.1 is still inside taking up precious space.

There are documented ways to remove those dead bodies. The HDD is already coming to 3 years old and those SSD seems a good option to hop into. So, is it possible? Can't seem to find any documentations online for it unless I have been looking at the wrong place.

Any advice?

Thanks

Dick Bowman
12th November 2016, 07:25 AM
I think you'll be OK; my understanding is that Windows is in some way registered to your motherboard. I swapped from mechanical HDD to SSD a few months ago with no issues. Curiously - the expected boot speedup didn't happen until the W10 Anniversay Update.

Melaka
12th November 2016, 08:24 AM
My PC was running W7 and upgraded to W10 without problems. A few months ago I migrated it to a Samsung SSD and all went well using the software provided with the SSD. I've no idea whether any W7 files were left.

George Dorn
12th November 2016, 10:16 AM
I would use something like Belarc to note the W10 key, download W10 onto a flash drive from the Microsoft Windows media centre and expect Bob to be my Uncle.

I did this when I screwed up the W10 installation on my Asus. It didn't ask for a key in the event; it must be on the M/B firmware.

OM USer
12th November 2016, 11:21 AM
Yes, MS should remember your registration details. I think it is tagged to a unique name in your BIOS. Download and cut a W10 install CD (or USB stick) using your current system (this is now standard procedure from W8 onwards), then remove your old drive and put in the SSD and then boot from the CD and install from scratch. You will obviously loose any manufacturer installed goodies (bloatware!) but that may be a good thing. Then plug your old drive into a spare slot (or USB HDD adapter) and copy over any data you want to keep.

shenstone
12th November 2016, 01:10 PM
I'm surprised a large amount of space was still reserved from an old windows installation - it should have autodeleted after a month

Did you do a disk cleanup on that disk and include to remove temporary files? that should definitely remove it - I would do this rather than hassling around with a reinstall

After that I would clone to a new SSD rather than reinstall. I've done that a few times and found it really painless

blu-by-u
14th November 2016, 06:09 AM
Thanks all. So I download using that particular pc, ignore that activation key entry when installing.
Let me run that over the weekend when the SSD arrives.