PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1 problem

Melaka
9th November 2016, 03:47 PM
I've migrated W8.1 from a standard HDD on my laptop to a Crucial SSD using Acronis. I've had endless problems all of which seem to be with Windows rather than the programs themselves. No program will shut down properly and sometimes stops in mid flight. I either can't get Task Manager at all or else it fails to end running programs. I reverted to the HDD and then did another transfer to the SSD but the results is the same. Any ideas please?

Harold Gough
9th November 2016, 04:28 PM
When you say "transfer" the wisdom on the net is that you should clone. There may be issues with your product key.

Harold

Adagio
9th November 2016, 04:38 PM
I did a transfer to a Samsung SSD using their own free supplied software with no trouble at all. Do Crucial not provide similar?

Melaka
9th November 2016, 06:58 PM
Yes, Acronis is Crucial's cloning software. I did a satisfactory migration from HDD to Samsung SSD on my PC using their software. I also did a successful migration of a PC drive that only has data on it to a Crucial SSD using Acronis.

shenstone
9th November 2016, 08:57 PM
Are you taking a look at the event logs ? You may get useful information from them I'd be crawing all over them to understand what processes are throwing errors.

An alternate to task manager that manages to kill things even when standard task manager cannot is processhacker http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/ when I have had systems that were "just not right" I used to run that and leave it minimised

Having said all that I think you are missing one possibly obvious trial and as you seem to have the means to go back not even a problem if you don't like it ... upgrade to windows 10 - sadly its not free any more, but if you grabbed a copy before the free period ended you can maybe try an upgrade

Regards
Andy

Naughty Nigel
9th November 2016, 08:59 PM
I upgraded to a Crucial SSD on my old laptop without problems.

Rather than involve other apps I created a disk image and an emergency recovery disk in Windows 8.1. I then restored the disk image onto the new SSD.

To do this go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore\Create a Disk Image. You will then be prompted to create a recovery CD.

The disk image will be identical to the original, including the partition size, so you may want to re-size the primary partition once up and running.

You won't need to re-enter the activation code if the OS was installed on the laptop by the manufacturer.

The only other problem I can think of is the disk protocol, (I forget the correct name), which I think is different on SSD's.

Melaka
12th November 2016, 08:26 AM
Thanks for all your posts. I think I've tracked the problem down to Firefox which did not seem to be running properly and may have been affecting Windows. I did a new installation of Firefox and everything now seems OK.