PDA

View Full Version : Another review of EM-1 mkII

Miketoll
9th November 2016, 12:32 PM
Interesting new write up here. http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/11/08/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-extended-second-impressions-andalucia/

Mdb2
11th November 2016, 07:50 AM
Hi Mike, I am off to LCE Reading today to have a look. Your link was interesting to say the least. Have you seen the review with the parakeet in flight? I believe it was robin wong? The camera does seem to be a whole lot better for wildlife i.e. BIF etc. More 7d territory. I think I will still hold out to see more reviews but am still a little worried once I handle the camera in store. :rolleyes:
Kind regards Mike

Grumpy Hec
11th November 2016, 10:02 AM
Hi Mike, I am off to LCE Reading today to have a look. Your link was interesting to say the least. Have you seen the review with the parakeet in flight? I believe it was robin wong? The camera does seem to be a whole lot better for wildlife i.e. BIF etc. More 7d territory. I think I will still hold out to see more reviews but am still a little worried once I handle the camera in store. :rolleyes:
Kind regards Mike

Don't be worried. Just accept the inevitable damage to your bank balance just like Ed is going to have to do *yes

Miketoll
11th November 2016, 10:33 AM
Hi Mike, look forward to your thoughts on the camera.
Graham it is probably only a matter of time for me too I suspect. SWMBO seems resigned to the inevitable.........:D

Mdb2
11th November 2016, 10:50 PM
Hi Mike, look forward to your thoughts on the camera.
Graham it is probably only a matter of time for me too I suspect. SWMBO seems resigned to the inevitable.........:D

Hi Mike I had well over an hour with the camera and it was quite impressive, tomorrow (sat) OLY is in jessops Reading I am seriously considering going to that as well.
I think the guy who did today's experience was a bit inexperienced with the em1mk2, although he said he had an em1,and pointed out he was not a nature photographer, but did architecture. He only had his own 12-40 pro with him no other lenses at all.
What he did explain was the pro capture which could be a good thing. It saves the last fourteen images by pressing the shutter half way then when you fully depress the shutter to actually take the shot the previous fourteen are saved.
He had a very small memory card and a slow one at that! So we had to wipe it clean a couple of times.
This pro capture can be set only with electronic shutter either at 30 or 60 frames per second you can use whatever fstop you want. There are four types of focus point scenerios and it was good to see the canon type of centre point with four around it, canon call it centre point expansion if memory serves me well. The electronic shutter at 30 or 60 cps will soon fill any normal 8 to 16 gig card so best to buy larger capacity cards and maybe get a mortgage for UHS2 type card.
This info may not be new to you but I believe it's very tempting to purchase though I think I will hold out for further proof. Oh one other thing is The camera was not a production model! And I thought the front wheel which surrounds the shutter was well loose and to easy to knock.
Kind regards Mike

pdk42
11th November 2016, 11:21 PM
That's a shame. The guy at Leamington was very experienced and knew both his Oly cameras and photography in general in depth. The camera was fitted with fast UHS cards and as a result the sustained frame rate was stunning. I set the camera into raw and held the shutter down at the 18fps level and it was well over 10 seconds (180+ frames) before it slowed down at all. Quite amazing.

He also had a good range of lenses with him including the 25/1.2 and the 12-100. That latter one is a very impressive lens.

Bengeo
11th November 2016, 11:32 PM
This pro capture can be set only with electronic shutter either at 30 or 60 frames per second you can use whatever fstop you want.

He didn't give you the full story there.

Pro Capture H fixes focus and exposure on first shot and can be set for
15, 20, 30 or 60fps.

Pro Capture L allows C-AF and can be set for 1 - 10, 15 or 18fps but fstop is limited to max to F8.

Wee man
12th November 2016, 12:37 AM
I intend taking some of my own 4/3 lenses including Sigma's and adapter. Will also carry SD cards ( normal class 10) and hope to bring some shots home to project large and compare to E-M1 shots.
Had my registration for the Photography Show in Birmingham sent to me tonight if going I will be there Monday 20th March Easyjet/ Flyer willing. May find I will put off final decision to then and hope for offers.

Mdb2
12th November 2016, 07:41 AM
He didn't give you the full story there.

Pro Capture H fixes focus and exposure on first shot and can be set for
15, 20, 30 or 60fps.

Pro Capture L allows C-AF and can be set for 1 - 10, 15 or 18fps but fstop is limited to max to F8.

HI Bengeo, Thankyou just goes to show what I was going on about and why I will try to get to the jessops day in Reading. In fact don't get me wrong and to state I am no expert on OLY, but I believe I knew more, which I think he sensed. I did take some shots from the shop doorway in raw/jpg and will see if aperture opens them.
Kind regards mike

Eclairewilliams
12th November 2016, 09:02 AM
I've read the reviews like you all and particularly find Mirrorlessons reviews very honest and helpful. Based in these I've taken the plunge and pre-ordered.
The pro capture sounds exactly what I need for nature because I often hesitate with my finger half pressed and miss the bird. And I really look forward to being able to set focus limiting for the 40-150 pro because I find it can search too much when trying to capture my shot.

Miketoll
12th November 2016, 09:26 AM
Thanks for putting your thoughts up Mike (Mdb2), shame that the Oly rep did not really know his stuff or have more lenses available. I would have been rather miffed to travel to a venue and found that. Slightly worrying that one of the dials was rather loose, a pet hate of mine, although as you say a pre-production unit.

Yes Mirrorlessons reviews are helpful and honest. It is hard to find reviews that are written by photographers that actually properly test C-AF on real moving targets like wildlife as most reviewers only ever seem to shoot static subjects in their own photography.
I must say my finger is itching, torn between waiting for more feedback from users and getting my hands on one ASAP.

drmarkf
12th November 2016, 10:24 AM
Sounds like it will be worth taking a few fast cards and Pro lenses of our own to these events just in case you get the Olympus 2nd XI running the show!