PDA

View Full Version : Spending a day testing the E-M1 II in Spain this weekend

Ian
3rd November 2016, 10:09 PM
As some of you already know, journalists are being shuttled into the picturesque town of Ronda (not Rhondda!), which is an hour or so west of Malaga and in a mountainous and wild region of southern Spain. It's the turn of the Brits on Saturday (7AM flight from Gatwick, lovely) and I believe we'll be photographing birds of prey and some other wildlife. Anyway, we'll be outside and using E-M1 IIs representative of production quality.

I'm minded to bring a 50-200 SWD and a 35-100 f/2 in order to do some Four Thirds lens testing. I'm quite sure they will have 40-150 Pros and the 300 f/4 available to use as well as the new 25 f/1.2, etc.

As usual, I'm keen to represent you at events like this so if there is anything you would like me to try, check, or ask, please let me know :)

Ian

pdk42
3rd November 2016, 10:37 PM
I'd be keen to see a raw file from a long exposure shot (45s or more) to check for long exposure noise. Shot without dark frame subtraction ideally.

Ian
3rd November 2016, 10:46 PM
I will be bringing an E-M1 Mark 1 so can do back to back comparisons.

Ian

Zuiko
3rd November 2016, 10:56 PM
Nice work if you can get it, even if it does mean getting up at silly o' clock to catch the plane! :D

Looking forward to your report. :)

Olybirder
3rd November 2016, 11:00 PM
I am sure it will be covered anyway but I would be interested to hear how the CAF works with a subject such as a bird moving against a busy background, rather than plain sky.

I would also like to hear how effective the new cross-type AF points are. I frequently have problems focusing on a bird against a background with strong vertical elements (railings, reeds, grass etc.)

Enjoy yourself Ian.

Ron

Wee man
3rd November 2016, 11:25 PM
As above, have a good time.
I would like to see the same shots with a 4/3 lens set up ( both Olympus and Sigma ) of a bird in flight against trees, reeds etc.

Think I am out of the market for some time at least until a large price drop but would like to get real world comments.

Ed.

DerekW
3rd November 2016, 11:31 PM
I wonder if they will re-enact the throwing of rebels off the bridge into the Gorge. It would be a good test of CAF, low light action etc

RogerMac
4th November 2016, 04:18 AM
I wonder if they will re-enact the throwing of rebels off the bridge into the Gorge. It would be a good test of CAF, low light action etc

EOS Rebel T6s for example?

Ian
4th November 2016, 06:49 AM
Nice work if you can get it, even if it does mean getting up at silly o' clock to catch the plane! :D

Looking forward to your report. :)

To bed tonight by 20.30 and 03.30 out of bed to leave by 04.00 :( Thinking I should have booked a hotel near Gatwick...

Ian

Ian
4th November 2016, 06:50 AM
As above, have a good time.
I would like to see the same shots with a 4/3 lens set up ( both Olympus and Sigma ) of a bird in flight against trees, reeds etc.

Think I am out of the market for some time at least until a large price drop but would like to get real world comments.

Ed.

Sadly, I don't have any Sigma lenses.

Ian

Ian
4th November 2016, 06:52 AM

They have ordered a consignment of American Canons just for this :D :) :eek: :rolleyes:

Ian

Ross the fiddler
4th November 2016, 10:23 AM
They have ordered a consignment of American Canons just for this :D :) :eek: :rolleyes:

Ian

That I would like to see! *laugh

Gwyver
4th November 2016, 11:07 AM
Ian,
Please will you try out the in-body AF Limiter feature and let us know how this works and if it is useful?
Thanks.

Ian
4th November 2016, 12:18 PM
Nice. Thunderstorms forecast for the Ronda area tomorrow. I ordered a new waterproof jacket as my old one is falling to bits. Collecting it today. Looks like I might have to invest in over-trousers as well :(

Ian

Bengeo
4th November 2016, 12:35 PM
Please will you try out the in-body AF Limiter feature and let us know how this works and if it is useful?

If possible, please could you test it on a lens with a focus limit switch like the 300/4 and see if it works if the lens switch is set to full. The manual is not clear on this:

"AF Limiter is not available in the following cases.
- When the focus limiter is enabled on the lens."

It would be handy to limit the close focus to 10 or 15 metres.

Bikie John
4th November 2016, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the offer, Ian.

If you get the chance, could you look at a couple of things please:

1. Apparently the Mk II has a better battery charge indicator (which has long been a bugbear of mine). Could you try and get some feel for whether it is actually better, or just displaying the same old rubbish but to more decimal places? I appreciate that this might be difficult under the circs.

2. One pet peeve of mine about the Mk I is the glow on the back screen, which is a bit of a nuisance when shooting in a dark public place like a concert hall. Could you see if the Mk II will let you avoid that - whether by not having the screen glow when it's not being used, or by turning the screen round to face the body. Specifically, is it possible to review images and change basic settings (ISO etc.) through the EVF when running like that. The Mk I will do it but only in auto-eye-EVF switch mode, which is when the back screen has the irritating glow.

And one other thing - I am always pleased to hear about places that do good patatas bravas :)

Ronda is lovely. If you get the chance, have a wander round the back streets of the Moorish old town south of the bridge. There is not much of it, but it is quiet and very atmospheric.

I have stayed at the Premier Inn at Gatwick north terminal several times. It is right outside the terminal building so you can walk in and not have to bother with shuttle buses or taxis, which is good for the peace of mind specially when your flight leaves at sparrow-fart.

Good luck ... John

Gwyver
4th November 2016, 12:53 PM
Ian,
Another task please. Depending on how you interpret the user manual, it appears to suggest the spot metering has been enhanced to allow it to 'follow' the selected AF point. Please could you verify if this is the case - I know that many forum users have requested this feature.
Thanks.

PS: sounds like you'll get to try out the splash proofing - hope your new 'workwear' proves as effective!

kbouk
4th November 2016, 04:34 PM
The focus limiter works well with 43 lenses, I have test it with my ZD14-35/2 SWD lens and there is an option to lock shutter release if the target isn't inside the area you choose (on meters or feet up to one decimal point), also you can program up to three different memories for the focus limiter but of course only one is active.
If the screen is close facing the body you can review and change parameters with the EVF , if you open it even if the sensor is off and only use the EVF when you try to review the images unfortunately the LCD opens just like EM1 mki.
The battery indicator works well and shows the remaining battery percent , I think the camera's estimation is way better than with old EM1 mki and the new charger is really fast.

Bikie John
4th November 2016, 05:30 PM
Thank you kbouk. That is very good news about the battery meter.

John

OM USer
4th November 2016, 09:00 PM
Ian,

Please, would you be able to clarify the warranty period?

The rumour site was suggesting that for $99 per year you could purchase a "pro" warranty, to whit 3 day turnaround on repairs or guaranteed extended loan of a replacement item. There is also one thead on this forum discussing a 6 year warranty and another post indicating that the standard 2 year warranty, extended to 2 1/2 by registering your item, has in some cases been showing as 3 years. I also reacall some months ago a discussion about the 2 year warranty being reduced to 1 year in line with some other parts od the world.

It would be nice to get some clarification on the warranty for all "PRO" items (EM-1 i & ii, and the PRO lenses) and especially whether the E-M1 ii which is aimed at professionals (this comes from Olympus) gets a professional level warranty. My understanding was that the pro support network was disbanded but anyone paying the "professional" price for the mark ii would surely want a professional level of support for it and the associated lenses.

Bengeo
5th November 2016, 08:33 AM
Probably a bit late now, but if you see this please could you check this info from the manual: "Pro capture is available only with OLYMPUS Micro Four Thirds lenses."

Any reason why it won't work with Panasonic lenses? Thanks.

Ian
5th November 2016, 01:37 PM
Well I'm here and yes, the only thing missing is the thunder and lightning :(

Ian

Phill D
5th November 2016, 03:23 PM
Look forward to a good test of the weather sealing then :)

Ian
6th November 2016, 03:07 AM
I have uploaded a selection of shots with the Mark II from yesterday on Flickr here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskGBpzUV

More feedback later!

Ian

damianmkv
6th November 2016, 07:56 AM
The ones of the lone horse look mostly OOF on my iPad but I guess that probably down to shooting at f1.2 and 100/125s ? For example, the dog looks ok in terms of focus and is at 1/320s

Looking at the exif, you shot in aperture mode so maybe that's why ?

Good to see a test of the IBIS with the heldheld night shots. I've seen people achieving 10-15s of in focus HH shots which I'm stunned at - personally I'd be surprised if I could get to 1s

sdb123
6th November 2016, 08:27 AM
I like the images from the 12-100mm - what are your initial thoughts on that lens Ian?

Ian
6th November 2016, 11:35 AM
Morning all!

To be frank, the schedule and limited time means I am still left with a lot more work to do before I can be satisfied I know enough about the camera. I can make some comments though:

1. Battery life is definitely better as of the charge remaining indicator which is now displayed as a percent. Personally, I had 20% left at the end of the day. The battery is physically at least twice the size of the old one.

2. Particularly when using silent shutter mode, the Four Thirds lenses worked well.

3. Focusing is definitely better, but by how much, still needs more time for me to declare. But simply having cross type points if a major step forward.

4. The camera is a little larger to accommodate the bigger battery and the fatter grip but on the whole this didn't sacrifice the luggability of the camera.

5. Pro Capture is not a gimmick. 60fps stills shooting at full resolution (t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶R̶a̶w̶ - RAW IS supported!) saving the 14 frames before you hit the shutter home of awesome.

6. Dedicated access to custom function settings via the mode knob and being able to load and save them from and to your computer is a welcome move.

7. Dual card slots, excellent although switching between then for saving sad reviewing is not very intuitive at first.

8. In camera focus limiter is completely customisable and works with any FT or MFT Olympus lens. Not sure about non Olympus lenses.

9. I have not yet fully examined high ISO and long exposure shots but there are no obvious issues.

10. Loving the 12-100. Certainly sharp wide open at 100.

Feeling a bit car sick on the coach back to the airport as I write this! More later!

Apologies for any typos, using my phone browser!

Ian

Ian
6th November 2016, 01:13 PM
Focus limiter, sorry, not focus 'longer'! :)

Ian

Ian
6th November 2016, 01:17 PM
I like the images from the 12-100mm - what are your initial thoughts on that lens Ian?

So far very positive. It's a natural for the Mark II. Certainly very crisp at full aperture at 100 from what I have seen of my shots, although because I didn't bring a laptop I reserve final judgement after looking at them on a big screen.

Ian

Ian
6th November 2016, 01:19 PM
The ones of the lone horse look mostly OOF on my iPad but I guess that probably down to shooting at f1.2 and 100/125s ? For example, the dog looks ok in terms of focus and is at 1/320s

Looking at the exif, you shot in aperture mode so maybe that's why ?

Good to see a test of the IBIS with the heldheld night shots. I've seen people achieving 10-15s of in focus HH shots which I'm stunned at - personally I'd be surprised if I could get to 1s

Yes, the shots of the horse and the dog indoors was more about the animals and their antics than anything else. It was very dark in there!

Ian

Ian
6th November 2016, 01:21 PM
Probably a bit late now, but if you see this please could you check this info from the manual: "Pro capture is available only with OLYMPUS Micro Four Thirds lenses."

Any reason why it won't work with Panasonic lenses? Thanks.

There was no answer to this, only a pledge to try to find one!

Ian

Ian
6th November 2016, 01:23 PM
I'd be keen to see a raw file from a long exposure shot (45s or more) to check for long exposure noise. Shot without dark frame subtraction ideally.

I have done some rather simple long exposure shots in the hotel room with the lights turned down and will post these when I get home.

Ian

Ian
6th November 2016, 01:28 PM
Ian,
Thanks.

I didn't use it but was shown how it works and it's very simple, just find the menu, enter the limit distances you want and that's basically it. You can change lenses and the limits will work with any Olympus FT or MFT lens. I think you can use a function button on the lens, where present, to enable and durable the limits set.

Ian

Ian
6th November 2016, 01:30 PM
If possible, please could you test it on a lens with a focus limit switch like the 300/4 and see if it works if the lens switch is set to full. The manual is not clear on this:

"AF Limiter is not available in the following cases.
- When the focus limiter is enabled on the lens."

It would be handy to limit the close focus to 10 or 15 metres.

Sorry, I didn't try this but I'm sure I can get an answer for you.

Ian

pdk42
6th November 2016, 03:35 PM
I have done some rather simple long exposure shots in the hotel room with the lights turned down and will post these when I get home.

Ian

That's great Ian. Thank you. Any chance we could get the raw?

birdboy
6th November 2016, 03:47 PM
Ian Question on Pro Capture When you half press the shutter the camera starts taking 14 temp captures, if you keep it half pressed is it only saving the last 14 frames? I am thinking you have a bird on branch and you are waiting for it to fly so in Pro Capture you keep the shutter half pressed and when it flys you then have the 14 frames before and the frames after.

Love the arrow through the ballon shots*chr

OM USer
6th November 2016, 05:02 PM
Ian Question on Pro Capture When you half press the shutter the camera starts taking 14 temp captures, if you keep it half pressed is it only saving the last 14 frames?...

Just logged on to ask the same question; is it the first 14 or the last 14 before the shutter press. Thanks.

Gwyver
6th November 2016, 05:20 PM
Yes, the shots of the horse and the dog indoors was more about the animals and their antics than anything else. It was very dark in there!

Ian

Hopefully no feisty little dogs were squashed during the making of these images :)

Ian
7th November 2016, 07:26 AM
Ian Question on Pro Capture When you half press the shutter the camera starts taking 14 temp captures, if you keep it half pressed is it only saving the last 14 frames? I am thinking you have a bird on branch and you are waiting for it to fly so in Pro Capture you keep the shutter half pressed and when it flys you then have the 14 frames before and the frames after.

Love the arrow through the ballon shots*chr

Yes, the idea is that the 14 frames prior to you pressing the shutter release will be saved. This can either be at 18 or 60fps. But that's only a quarter of a second in 60fps mode! I missed the critical arrow impacting on the balloons several times and I need to understand if that was just me (more likely!) or if you must release the shutter promptly as well. I had half a dozen goes and was successful in about half the attempts so I will look at how many frames were recorded, etc. It's a great feature though, especially as it's full 20MP resolution. Panasonic has this feature as part of its 4K Photo mode but that's only at 8MP resolution and 25 or 30fps.

Ian

Ian
7th November 2016, 07:27 AM
Hopefully no feisty little dogs were squashed during the making of these images :)

I have to say we were all totally amazed that there was no blood spilled! :D

Ian

Ian
7th November 2016, 08:02 AM
That's great Ian. Thank you. Any chance we could get the raw?

On this I have messed-up :( At one point the camera settings went haywire, probably because I accidentally flipped the settings mode lever from 1 to 2, and I rushed to reset the settings and it looks like I didn't reinstate RAW recording. So the ISO comparisons and long exposure shots are all JPEGs only. I am so annoyed! They are at full resolution though.

Olympus Viewer is able to process Mark II RAW files now and Adobe Camera RAW is expected to get the Mark II update in a couple of weeks.

Ian

Ian
7th November 2016, 08:17 AM
I have uploaded a selection of shots with the Mark II from yesterday on Flickr here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskGBpzUV

More feedback later!

Ian

Can I just add that the camera was set to record Adobe RGB colour space JPEGs and the samples I uploaded to Flickr were reduced in size because I transferred them from the camera to my tablet using Wi-Fi with the Olympus Image Share app. Adobe RGB might mean the colours will be a bit muted. Most of my shots are recorded in RAW and I will produce some default sRGB JPEGs using Olympus Viewer and I will make the RAW files available too.

Ian

birdboy
7th November 2016, 11:24 AM
Yes, the idea is that the 14 frames prior to you pressing the shutter release will be saved. This can either be at 18 or 60fps. But that's only a quarter of a second in 60fps mode! I missed the critical arrow impacting on the balloons several times and I need to understand if that was just me (more likely!) or if you must release the shutter promptly as well. I had half a dozen goes and was successful in about half the attempts so I will look at how many frames were recorded, etc. It's a great feature though, especially as it's full 20MP resolution. Panasonic has this feature as part of its 4K Photo mode but that's only at 8MP resolution and 25 or 30fps.

Ian

Thanks Ian this is very helpful information on the Pro Capture feature even at 18fps less than a second to press the shutter once you see the arrow. Are your images from a set using the 18 or 60fps drive? This is a reflex sensitive challenge to get right. Did you have a countdown from the person releasing the arrow or was a question of listening for the flight of the arrow?

Ian
7th November 2016, 04:37 PM
Thanks Ian this is very helpful information on the Pro Capture feature even at 18fps less than a second to press the shutter once you see the arrow. Are your images from a set using the 18 or 60fps drive? This is a reflex sensitive challenge to get right. Did you have a countdown from the person releasing the arrow or was a question of listening for the flight of the arrow?

The cameras were set up for us and I understand they were set to 60fps for the balloons. We did have a count down but as you say, it's a challenge! I counted the frames and each sequence was between 43 and 47 frames. I suspect that any were down to me more than anything else!

Ian

Ian
7th November 2016, 04:40 PM
I've edited some of my images and exported them from Lightroom in sRGB. They have been uploaded to a new album in Flickr here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskGGAvmf

I also have some 50MP hires and some video samples to share - more on these shortly, along with the ISO range samples and long exposure samples.

Ian
7th November 2016, 10:28 PM
Long exposure:

6 seconds: https://flic.kr/p/NxgSZm

60 seconds: https://flic.kr/p/N31ReW

Noise reduction was switched off.

I am not seeing any noticeable long exposure noise. It's such a shame I don't have RAW files though.

Ian
7th November 2016, 11:06 PM
Hires (50 megapixel) comparison

Original image view:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5677/30547164720_006aba3936_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NxmcPN)_OMD0449_hires_original_raw-2 (https://flic.kr/p/NxmcPN) by Ian Burley (https://www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/), on Flickr

20 megapixel crop (from RAW file):

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5479/30547076850_4a063e4806_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NxkKGN)_OMD0449_hires_original_raw (https://flic.kr/p/NxkKGN) by Ian Burley (https://www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/), on Flickr

50MP JPEG crop:

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5534/30811289086_9f846707d7_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NWFUNb)_OMD0449_hires_crop (https://flic.kr/p/NWFUNb) by Ian Burley (https://www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/), on Flickr

Ian
8th November 2016, 08:08 AM
ISO range test, starting with ISO 200 (click on the image to view the rest on Flickr):

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5670/30553863450_f007fb1e68_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NxWx89)_OMD5352 (https://flic.kr/p/NxWx89) by Ian Burley (https://www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/), on Flickr

I'm not entirely happy with these, but there simply wasn't enough time to set up an ideal test and I will repeat them, with RAW files, later when I get a camera to review properly.

That said, the ISO 25600 is certainly not a complete waste of time and would be fine for use on the Web, for example. The Olympus in-camera processing of very high ISO shots has always been impressive compared to DIY processing of RAW files in my experience so this will be interesting later on.

Ian

Miketoll
8th November 2016, 10:09 AM
Ian, the big question for me is the C-AF. What is your impression?
To me some of the bird shots are spot on but many aren't. Admittedly a very challenging subject but turning to the cattle shots several of the shots are not focussed on the lead cattle but rather on the cow behind as if the C-AF is not keeping up. I would appreciate your thoughts and opinion.

Ian
8th November 2016, 08:19 PM
Ian, the big question for me is the C-AF. What is your impression?
To me some of the bird shots are spot on but many aren't. Admittedly a very challenging subject but turning to the cattle shots several of the shots are not focussed on the lead cattle but rather on the cow behind as if the C-AF is not keeping up. I would appreciate your thoughts and opinion.

Sorry for the late response - It was the funeral, today, of Amateur Photographer's former news editor, Chris Cheesman. There was a big turn out to say goodbye.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I can't answer it. To be perfectly honest, we were given cameras at 3PM and we then performed 5 different tasks at different locations until about 5:30PM. Basically there was nowhere enough time to get used to the camera and its settings. Olympus tried to help by configuring the camera's custom settings options especially for some of the tasks but, for example, the use of single AF point and aperture priority mode was very odd. I can only report that the E-M1's problem of not having cross-type points has been fixed. Sorry to disappoint, but that's the truth. But we will know the answer sooner or later!

Ian

Ian
8th November 2016, 08:23 PM
5. Pro Capture is not a gimmick. 60fps stills shooting at full resolution (though not Raw) saving the 14 frames before you hit the shutter home of awesome.

Ian

I have corrected this now - you can save RAW files at 60fps! :) Sorry for any confusion!

Ian

pdk42
8th November 2016, 10:18 PM
As I posted on Graham's thread about his initial thoughts, I've been looking at raw files using Rawtherapee and they look very good - a worthwhile step up on the E-M1 IMHO.

Ian
9th November 2016, 03:58 PM
Original hires mode files for you to download:

Original RAW (20MP) file: http://fourthirds-user.com/files/download/_OMD0449.ORF
Original 50MP JPEG: http://fourthirds-user.com/files/download/_OMD0449.JPG

Ian

Ross the fiddler
9th November 2016, 09:44 PM
Thanks Ian. In 6 minutes time I'll be able to play with the raw file (internet here is certainly not fast). ;) :D

Ian
10th November 2016, 07:23 AM
Thanks Ian. In 6 minutes time I'll be able to play with the raw file (internet here is certainly not fast). ;) :D

Ah, probably because our server is in Trump land...

Mark II RAW files can be processed in the current version of Olympus Viewer.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
10th November 2016, 09:36 AM
Ah, probably because our server is in Trump land...

Mark II RAW files can be processed in the current version of Olympus Viewer.

Ian

That's a good one! :D

Yes, I've had a bit of a play with that photo in OV3 & I liked it when I cropped it to 16:9 too. *yes

*chr

pdk42
10th November 2016, 01:41 PM
I played with an E-M1ii at LCE in Leamington earlier today (great place and great staff). It's a very nice camera in the hand and as everyone has said, very responsive. C-AF kept up with moving vehicles outside without any issue at all. If you're into stuff that moves or happens in a blink of an eye then the E-M1ii must be a no-brainer. It's certainly the fastest most responsive camera I've ever used. Pro-capture allows some very interesting shots to be captured.

As a predominantly landscape shooter though these sort of features are not of particular benefit. However, there are other factors that might push me to pre-order:

- The new Hi-Res modes do fix some big limitations on the E-M5ii's implementation:

Blurring due to subject movement seems much better handled. I do a lot of long exposure landscapes with a 10-stop ND filter so leaf movement etc is to be expected. I can live with blurring, but the problem with the E-M5ii Hi-Res is that it produces ugly jagged artefacts. This looks much better now.

Exposure time is not limited to 8s as it is on the E-M5ii. This is crucial to make proper use of it for long-exposure landscape shots (e.g. for blurring water etc).

In addition to the 50Mp 8-shot mode, there's also a 25Mp 4-shot mode. 25Mp is enough for most people but the 4-shot stitch significantly reduces noise and improves colour fidelity. It also results in a faster capture and smaller files. Fantastic idea Oly!

- The new 20Mp sensor does seem to deliver improved low-ISO noise, esp at the new ISO64 low setting. So long as highlights don't suffer too much, I suspect that DR will be at its best at ISO64 too.

So, I'm pretty impressed. It's a big wad of cash though...

As a sweetener, there's a number of experience days with an Olympus Visionary. I quite fancy a day with Steve Gosling - if the numbers on the day aren't stupid that's probably worth 100 of anyone's money!

Olybirder
10th November 2016, 01:57 PM
How did you get on with the articulated screen Paul? Could you live with it?

Ron

pdk42
10th November 2016, 01:59 PM
How did you get on with the articulated screen Paul? Could you live with it?

Ron

That's still a lingering doubt too Ron. I really don't like it.

drmarkf
10th November 2016, 02:08 PM
Good to hear, Paul, especially the details about the hi-res mode.

Graham_of_Rainham
10th November 2016, 03:42 PM
I didn't like the flipping screen on the E-3/5 and was very happy when the E-M1 didn't have it. However, I so rarely use it, that it will not be a problem for me at all.

Often when I need to make a composition in which a movable screen is required, I simply use OI.Share with the iPhone. :cool:

Wee man
10th November 2016, 08:07 PM
Paul I am not listening, de-di-de dum dumb. Will see it on the 24th in Dublin.

Wee Man

Grumpy Hec
11th November 2016, 10:03 AM
Paul I am not listening, de-di-de dum dumb. Will see it on the 24th in Dublin.

Wee Man

Ed. I have already told you that resistance is useless. Just go with the flow unless you have forgotten your wallet again *chr

Hec

pdk42
11th November 2016, 10:47 AM
It is a very nice camera for sure. I'm still battling with my conscience as to whether to blow 2k on one. It's certainly a significant step up on the E-M1 and its speed must put it ahead of any camera on the market from any manufacturer. If I were into wildlife, I'd think the E-M1ii with the 40-150/2.8 and 300/4 would take some beating.

I also had a good play with the 12-100/4. It looks to be a very high quality optic. That plus the 7-14 would suit most landscape needs.

It's interesting what Oly is doing. The early u43 world of moderate cost bodies and small f1.8/f2 standard primes (12, 17, 25, 45, 75) is being supplemented by much higher-end bodies and "pro-spec" zoom lenses. It's making for a bigger and more expensive wing to the u43 world - so something for everyone really.

Bikie John
11th November 2016, 11:04 AM
I think it's a lot more than "something for everyone" Paul. I really like the small kit - body, no grip, 17, 25 or 45 f/1.8 prime, and use it like that when I can. But it is good to have the option within the same system of bolting on a big tele or zoom and battery grip, and having the whole lot weathersealed so I can stand in the rain for an hour and half while we lose another game of rugby :) E-M1 plus grip plus big lens is in no way a compact kit, but it is still a hell of a lot lighter and smaller than the equivalent with a 35mm-format sensor would be. And because I can use the same body for everything I know how to process the raw files, how to set (some of) the options and so on.

Of course other systems have different strengths, but for me the OM-D offers a very versatile system and meets most of my needs.

John

Gwyver
11th November 2016, 05:45 PM
I suspect that the lower end of the CSC & DSLR market for casual photographers is rapidly being eaten by high-end smartphones. Hence the established camera manufacturers will have to move to providing niche products (with higher sales margins) in order to minimise this damage and preserve their revenues.

drmarkf
12th November 2016, 10:54 AM
...having the whole lot weathersealed so I can stand in the rain for an hour and half...

...And because I can use the same body for everything I know how to process the raw files, how to set (some of) the options and so on.

Yes, good points that work strongly for me and which (together with size & weight) explain why I'm not going to be considering ditching Olympus for a long time.

The standardising of processing is a significant issue that isn't often mentioned, although it must be said that I find the raw files from Panasonic and Sony sensors in the M1 and M5ii do respond best to different handling. For example, putting aside the fairly subtle colour differences, I find the 5ii can't take as much clarity and sharpening before it looks crunchy (i.e. I assume the files have higher microcontrast and are perhaps 'sharper' to begin with).

Fortunately I've catalogued my images by camera body from the year dot, so remembering what to do is easier.

I suppose that's another potential advantage of the M1ii + M5ii combination. I was, however, listening to a podcast the other day where the authors were moaning about how much the various manifestations of the A7 series varied in the colours & micro-contrast of their files, so it'll be interesting to see what the expert post-processors have to say about this in reviews of their Oly sensor manifestations.

I guess this variation is most of an issue for pros who might use several different bodies on (say) one wedding shoot and want to have completely standardised processing and homogeneous output.

Ian
2nd December 2016, 07:33 AM
Google found my horse and dog stills sequence from the Ronda trip and strung them together like this (a rather large animated gif!):

http://e-group.uk.net/files/forum/OI000051-ANIMATION.gif

Ian

Ian
2nd December 2016, 07:36 AM
Interestingly you can see the focus keeping up wit the horse if you look at the floor :)

These shots were criticised but I think the blur was more down to the motion of the horse combined with the dim light and inadequate shutter speed more than the focusing.

Ian

Zuiko
2nd December 2016, 08:01 AM
Google found my horse and dog stills sequence from the Ronda trip and strung them together like this (a rather large animated gif!):

http://e-group.uk.net/files/forum/OI000051-ANIMATION.gif

Ian

So this wasn't all done in camera? :D

Ian
2nd December 2016, 08:09 AM
So, basically I copied the E-M1 ii images to my tablet and uploaded them from there to Flickr. You can find them here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/albums/72157672555707433

My tablet automatically backs up my photos from the tablet to Google Photos. Google has this slightly gimmicky, if technically quite clever, feature whereby it looks for a sequence of stills and asks you if you would like them strung together as an animated gif. If you look at the originals the camera was moving but as you can see in the Google stitch-up the scene has been stabilised by lining each frame up so the camera appears to be stationary.

Ian