PDA

View Full Version : New Mac Book Pro

al_kaholik
28th October 2016, 08:50 AM
No thank you. I appreciate progress and love what is going on with it. But its a move too quickly in my opinion to change to all USB-C format ports and remove the SD slot. Once the standard is adopted in a year or so, then perhaps it'll be more viable but for now I'll be sticking with my older one with SD, standard USD, HDMI and magsafe.

A step too far too soon for Apple? Dongle-ised life isn't for me and with the price point moving up significantly I wonder if many others will feel the same in the consumer space.

Wally
28th October 2016, 10:42 AM
Your observation is one of the many that others have also become annoyed with the so called 'upgrades,' namely a lack of ports, earphone connections and changing charging cables being some of the more annoying.

I have 2008 Apple Pro laptop and even on that, I wonder what the thoughts behind removing some of the access point like SD slota are supposed to achieve? other than feeding the ego's of control freaks and, unless we forget, the all powerful 'KERCHING?'

rsh1960
28th October 2016, 05:58 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37799235 and up in price by 500

Wally
28th October 2016, 06:44 PM
:tup With price rises such as these, I've no doubt the Chinese workforce will be in line for huge pay rises. :rolleyes:.

DerekW
28th October 2016, 07:16 PM
A lot of the price rise is due to British isolationism

wornish
29th October 2016, 07:09 AM
As a long time mac user I am not impressed. How many months even years before other vendors apps make use of the touch screen function bar? How many adapters do you have to buy to connect all you existing peripherals?

I am fed up with apple prioritising functionality to make it easier to buy stuff, rather than adding useful features.

On top of that the latest version of the operating system is so full of unnecessary time wasting features, like SIRI, that it slows down your system if you are on a slow internet connection. I am probably going to go back and re-install the previous OS version and stay there.

Wally
29th October 2016, 07:59 AM
@ Wornish - Your last comment is one reason of why on the Apple side of things I reversed OS updates and settled with Snow Leopard. The other was that I have the OS software on disk(s) so no future problems with being stuck with an OS I don't like.

Conspiracy theory - SIRI and Cortana and their alternative derivatives are secretly passing your personal info onto 'Big Brother.' Now 'they' know that we know that they know the we know. ;)

Same goes for M$. where I have remained with W7 as I found W10 so annoying by continuing to re-download stuff I didn't want. Seems the 'option' to make a decision on what I want as to opposed to what they think I want / need, has been removed from the equation.Then again, WTF do I know what I want? :mad:

wornish
29th October 2016, 08:03 AM
@ Wornish - Your last comment is one reason of why on the Apple side of things I reversed OS updates and settled with Snow Leopard. The other was that I have the OS software on disk(s) so no future problems with being stuck with an OS I don't like.

Conspiracy theory - SIRI and the alternative derivatives are secretly passing your personal info onto 'Big Brother.' Now 'they' know that we know that they know the we know. ;)

Same goes for M$. where I have remained with W7 as I found W10 so annoying by continuing to re-download stuff I didn't want. Seems the 'option' to make a decision on what I want as to opposed to what they think I want / need, has been removed from the equation.

Totally agree. I also have a windows 10 laptop and it spends more time "updating" than doing anything else.

pdk42
29th October 2016, 08:49 AM
Totally agree. I also have a windows 10 laptop and it spends more time "updating" than doing anything else.

Same here - fed up with it. There was a major upgrade a few weeks back and it caused havoc with my machine and settings. I'm still sorting the mess out. On top of that, there was a flurry of updates in the following days, I can only assume due to bugs. That most of these caused reboots seemingly every time I wanted to "just quickly look at a web-page" just irritated the sh1t out of me!

My desktop is staying at W7 for as long as I can keep it there.

Phill D
29th October 2016, 08:58 AM
Same here Paul I stuck with W7 too. Better the devil you know I guess.

pdk42
29th October 2016, 09:21 AM
... remove the SD slot. .

That's a seriously stupid move.

Olybirder
29th October 2016, 10:39 AM
I have got a seven year old iMac. It has been excellent and I am pleased that I have been able to update to the latest OS free of charge for the past few years (currently running version 10.12 Sierra.)

I was using the SD port to import my files directly from my card. However, I discovered that the foil and printing were being rubbed off the card as I inserted and removed it. Presumably they ended up somewhere inside the workings of the SD port, which could spell trouble. I have recently been using a USB card reader to import the files, so the loss of the SD port wouldn't matter to me. However, if they are now changing the USB ports that might no longer be an option.

My other half has a new HP laptop running Windows 10 and I do seem to spend a lot of time installing updates for her and restarting. When she first got it, we spent a fortnight trying to get Mail to work and import her archived emails. Apparently the default Mail application doesn't work with her EE broadband account. Mozilla Thunderbird came to the rescue!

Ron

Naughty Nigel
30th October 2016, 10:44 PM
With all of these changes why doesn't Apple add something useful to its laptops - like mobile internet access?

My present Toshiba laptop has built in 4G internet access, as did its two predecessors. This is by no means a new feature and has been available for at least ten years.

When I asked a 'Genius' about this at our local Apple store I was told that it was not a feature that customers ever asked for (presumably they're not professionals then?), and that if I wanted mobile internet access on a MacBook I would need to tether it to an iPad or iPhone. Oh aye! But then why would apple offer mobile 4G for 100 extra when they can sell an iPhone or iPad for several times that amount? Only Apple acolytes would fall for that one. :rolleyes:

https://boardgamegeek.com/camo/afeff43d7a71bb8eb8b12e5698ad9a70c83b5a00/687474703a2f2f332e62702e626c6f6773706f742e636f6d2f 2d6e4b783055387863337a772f556d6141714d69614246492f 41414141414141414356412f4f6355493349546a48456b2f73 313630302f706963313131373734352e706e67

I also fail to understand why they have to make them so heavy. Even the so called 'Air' is heavier than competitors products, and yet these things are supposed to be portable? (And that is without the plethora of adaptors and special power connectors they need.)

There's nothing 'cool' about a dislocated shoulder.

Oh, and one more thing. Anyone who owns a Windows laptop simply calls it a laptop. Likewise, Android tablet users simply refer to them as tablets. Why then, do Apple users insist on using the full model name when referring to their devices? I never say 'I'll have a look on my Toshiba Portege', so why do Apple users have to say 'I'll have a look on my MacBook Air? :D

Wreckdiver
31st October 2016, 09:48 AM
I was just about to buy the old one last week when I heard about the new one being released, so I waited. Up from 1999 to 2699! The USB c ports would be of no use or interest to me. No chance, I'll be looking for an old model.

Steve

Naughty Nigel
31st October 2016, 09:56 AM
I was just about to buy the old one last week when I heard about the new one being released, so I waited. Up from 1999 to 2699! The USB c ports would be of no use or interest to me. No chance, I'll be looking for an old model.

Steve

Apparently, if you buy a lower spec MacBook with a spinning hard drive you can upgrade the hard drive to SSD, and add extra memory without invalidating the warranty. (Words from a Genius.)

I believe this applies to the current (old) model, but don't know about the others.

Wally
31st October 2016, 10:08 AM
Apparently, if you buy a lower spec MacBook with a spinning hard drive you can upgrade the hard drive to SSD, and add extra memory without invalidating the warranty. (Words from a Genius.)

I believe this applies to the current (old) model, but don't know about the others.

My 2008 ye olde MacBook Pro - the solid 'aluminum' block whatever that is ;) works just fine with an SSD.

However, what is missing is the SD slot? Bought an USB conversion dongle and ... job sorted. :tup

DerekW
31st October 2016, 10:33 AM
I understood that Macbook Pros after the late 2011 models could not be upgraded with extra memory or SSD as the components were soldered in - hence the treasuring of my Late 2011 MBPro which has had the memory increased to 16 GB and a 1TB SSD fitted into it.

Re Nigel's obsession with having a builtin SIM card.
The use of an iPhone reduces the need for having multiple SIM cards (ie one in the computer or in a dongle and one in the cell phone.)

My issue with Data SIM cards is/was the relatively high cost and that one could not transfer data over to the following months. However a 4G service is not always available and can be quite expensive if one is outside of the home country.

Connectivity has now improved such that I can get onto the net using Wifi.
A 4G service is not always available and can be quite expensive if one is outside of the home country.

Naughty Nigel
1st November 2016, 09:21 AM
Re Nigel's obsession with having a builtin SIM card.
The use of an iPhone reduces the need for having multiple SIM cards (ie one in the computer or in a dongle and one in the cell phone.)

Hmmmm. :)

You could buy an awful lot of data SIM cards for the cost of an iPhone! It also means you are limited to one provider.

I can easily tether my laptop to my phone (Sony Z3), and often do so as I have a generous data allowance on my O2 contract. However, I have to keep the two devices fairly close together otherwise I have to reconnect.

Apps apart I don't bother with internet on my phone very much as it is all a bit of a faff using just a touch screen.

I also find Three better than O2 for mobile internet access, especially abroad, so I have a Three SIM card in my laptop.

I will also admit to owning an iPad mini, which has its own Three SIM. I could use the data from the phone or laptop, (and sometimes do), but again I prefer to keep it independent. My wife also likes to borrow my iPad occasionally, so I know it will work for her without any faffing about.

The iPhone and iPad prove beyond doubt that Apple has the technology to incorporate 4G access into its devices. So why does Apple consistently refuse to provide 4G access in their laptops? There are only two reasons I can think of.

1) Despite claims to the contrary they are not really designed for mobile professionals. Their sheer weight is testimony to this.

2) It is a cynical way of selling iPhones and iPads which do have mobile 4G!

The new USB-C connector on the new MacBooks means it will no longer be possible to plug in a USB dongle. Is this a cynical move to boost flagging iPhone and iPad sales I wonder? :)

Edit: Three allows data roaming at no extra charge in many counties both inside and outside of the EU, and provides good coverage throughout the UK; Scottish islands excepted!

Walti
1st November 2016, 09:35 AM
The new USB-C connector on the new MacBooks means it will no longer be possible to plug in a USB dongle. Is this a cynical move to boost flagging iPhone and iPad sales I wonder? :)

I'm sure Apple will invent an adaptor to sell you for 40! (which seems to be their price for everything these days...)

I opened a drawer and found three different mini display port to VGA adaptors, none of which work with my current Apple of course... another 40 please...

al_kaholik
1st November 2016, 09:38 AM
That's a seriously stupid move.

Some good points on here.

As I said before, I think its a step too far, too soon. SD isn't going anywhere and WIFI on most cameras just doesn't compare. A slightly more gradual switch may have made more sense.

General consensus of people wanting new computers / people who dabble with photography that I know is that they will be looking elsewhere, which probably means that Apple have alienated a client base with casual users

wornish
1st November 2016, 10:05 AM
Apple make far more profit from sales of iPhones and iPads to the "younger generation".
They are purposefully holding back on PC development trying to make the iPad the replacement for laptops and have just about given up on desktops completely.

The iMac when released was innovative but they haven't done anything new with it in years apart from the higher resolution screen. Microsoft are going after the professional user and have out innovated Apple with the latest Microsoft Surface Studio, Apple should feel ashamed. They really dont care about Mac anymore, IOS is the future where they will make their profits, (oh and selling dongles and adapters).

I have been an Apple fan for over 10 years but times are changing.

Naughty Nigel
1st November 2016, 10:18 AM
I'm sure Apple will invent an adaptor to sell you for 40! (which seems to be their price for everything these days...)

This again supports my view that Apple products are not really designed for mobile professionals, who like to travel as light as possible without carrying a suitcase full of expensive adaptors!

With regard to SD cards and WiFi, there are very few cameras with WiFi built in. And in any case, why would you want to faff around configuring logins and passwords when it is so easy to slip an SD card into a slot on your laptop, or simply plug the camera into the USB port?

Oh I forgot, there is no SD card or USB port now is there. :rolleyes:

Interestingly, the SD card slot on my Toshiba is deep enough to allow me to keep an SD card permanently installed if I want to, so boosting storage capacity. Alternatively, I could also use a small USB flash drive.

And despite being thinner, and much lighter than a MacBook it still has space for a full sized RJ45 Ethernet port!

By contrast, I note that the SD card slot on my son's MacBook is very shallow, so it is impossible to use it for additional data storage without risking breakage. And there is no RJ45 port. Now I wonder why this might be? :rolleyes: