PDA

View Full Version : A Q for the IT geeks....

Wally
26th October 2016, 07:47 AM
Have recently got myself a pristine condition used tablet - a Samsung Note 10.1 - to use for watching films via Flixster when stuck in hospital everal times a week for hours on ends. The whole idea is to use it without wi-fi, so the content has had to be downloaded to an SD card. It works but has limitations where the tablet is concerned. Have understood FAT limitations, so have formatted to exFAT which the tablet recognises.

The problem is that the soddin' Android software has thrown up a 2Gb download limit - which is not there on the M$ PC. Unfortunately the contained files info on the SD card from the PC doesn't work in the tablet.

Am wondering if a newer version of Android allows for an increased limit to allow larger file size downloads?

So much for the 'smart' part of their advertising... Any help appreciated. *chr

PS: I should add that the Flixster items are UV copies which I have purchased, so there is no worries of piracy issues.

Daveart
26th October 2016, 10:39 AM
Hi Wally, the latest android OS should over come this limitation, trouble is it needs to be a genuine update version, there are unofficial versions but they can brick your tablet.

You should be able to down load a lower res version of the film which are slightly lower quality video, but still watchable or you maybe able to spilt the video into 2gb chunks and play them back to back.

Dave

The Technician
26th October 2016, 10:44 AM
Hi,
I download with my PC, transfer to sd card, put sd card in tablet, then just play from that?

Jim Ford
26th October 2016, 12:03 PM
Hi,
I download with my PC, transfer to sd card, put sd card in tablet, then just play from that?

Yes - it's exactly what I do!

Jim

Wally
26th October 2016, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm new to tablets and android OS seems to have issues with being locked down by the vendors.to keep everything under their total control even as far as wanting credit details for free items? Considering Google was hacked into and, kept it quiet, this for me is a definite no-no.

@ Daveart - Sems Samsung are not updating the OS - stuck at v4.2.1? The downloads only work if under 2Gb as this seems to be the cut-off point. This is using the SD version of the fil = low res.

@Technician - I have no proble loading onto the SD card on either the PC or tablet. The problem is the 2Gb barrier? If I use the PC SD card on the tablet, it is recognised but the PC files are not showing?. The same is true for the tablet files if used on the PC.

Out of curiousity, what Android version is your tablet using? I ask as I'm wondering if this is the case, then I'd need to look into finding out how - if possible - it would be to update the Android OS without ending up with another door-stop?

PS: After posting - Just seen Jim's post... So it would seem the underlying problem is the version of Android - which in my case is 4.2.1?

Jim Ford
26th October 2016, 01:19 PM
4.2.1 is Jellybean, which is really old. I'd look into updating and if not possible flash a 3rd party OS - say Cyanogenmod (which I use).

Jim

Daveart
26th October 2016, 01:38 PM
Hi I just down load to tablet no problem here mine is OS 5, just check you have the latest app of flixstar.
I did once have a problem with os4.2 with that happening it was the Google film app that refused to work until they eventually fix the app.
Which app do you use to view the films in it might be that.
Just a quick note fat 32 is what you need I think if memory serves.

Wally
26th October 2016, 02:34 PM
Hi I just down load to tablet no problem here mine is OS 5, just check you have the latest app of flixstar.
I did once have a problem with os4.2 with that happening it was the Google film app that refused to work until they eventually fix the app.
Which app do you use to view the films in it might be that.
Just a quick note fat 32 is what you need I think if memory serves.

I have AFAIK the latest version of - Flixster Video - from Google - just a few days ago? The same version of the PC was downloaded via the Flixster site just over a month ago. It maybe the PC / Android versions might differ?

As said, it all works on the PC regardless of file sizes (+3/4Gb) Android works OK until a film goes over 2MB in size and then refuses to download as the file size is ''outside parameters?"

I have formatted each SD card from FAT32 to exFAT which again - AFAIK - allows way over terabyte file sized downloads?

Ian
26th October 2016, 02:41 PM
FAT 16 and FAT 32 have a 2GB file size limit.

Do you have a laptop? You could bring that and stream from your laptop to your tablet.

Also, which version of the Note 10.1 do you have? If it has a 1280x800 screen rather than a full HD 1920 (or greater) resolution screen you could render videos at the lower resolution and save on file sizes.

How are you rendering movies for use on the tablet in the first place?

Ian

Wally
26th October 2016, 03:44 PM
Hi Ian, the model is Samsung Note 10.1. The screen display is 800 x 1280 pixels. The films I have are downloaded to the lower resolution to suit the screen IE: SD instead of HD. Each SD card has been formatted to exFAT - which I believe has a spec capacity to download terabyte file sizes?.

The more I read into this the more likely it is looking like the Android OS v4.2.1 is the culprit. Films download without problems until the 2Gb barrier comes down.

Will have to look into how to stream from the PC to the tablet, methinks I'm in-line for another learning curve. I can see the table ending up looking like spaghetti junction with all the wires *yes

The Technician
26th October 2016, 03:44 PM
Just did a quick look online and the Samsung Note 10.1 was capped at android version 4.2 :-( you can update to 5.0.1 via other web sites but you can brick it if you do not know what you are doing.

Ian
26th October 2016, 04:21 PM
Hi Ian, the model is Samsung Note 10.1. The screen display is 800 x 1280 pixels. The films I have are downloaded to the lower resolution to suit the screen IE: SD instead of HD. Each SD card has been formatted to exFAT - which I believe has a spec capacity to download terabyte file sizes?.

The more I read into this the more likely it is looking like the Android OS v4.2.1 is the culprit. Films download without problems until the 2Gb barrier comes down.

Will have to look into how to stream from the PC to the tablet, methinks I'm in-line for another learning curve. I can see the table ending up looking like spaghetti junction with all the wires *yes

A 2 hour movie should be able to compress down to well under 2GB in 1280x720 HD format. I've been watching movies like this using free utilities like Handbrake for ages and I don't normally exceed 2GB.

How are you creating your movies?

Ian

Jim Ford
26th October 2016, 04:25 PM
You'll probably get some help here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Re-encoding with Handbrake should bring a 2Hr film down to 1G.

Jim

Ian
26th October 2016, 04:41 PM
Just did a quick look online and the Samsung Note 10.1 was capped at android version 4.2 :-( you can update to 5.0.1 via other web sites but you can brick it if you do not know what you are doing.

There are two Note 10 models but, yes, it looks like we are looking at the earlier N8000 instead of the later P600 model. The later one has Lollipop.

Ian

Wally
26th October 2016, 04:46 PM
@ The Technician - May have a look into that angle of attack. It's not that I've been diddled / conned as the tablet was basically offered for a donation to a friends cancer fund. Each year they send a donation to Cancer Research UK.

@ Ian - The films in question are - 'DVD /Blu-ray UV copies' - which are held @ Flixster in my account. Downloading from there is no problem. The 2Gb barrier is. Some items in a series are less than and the odd one is greater than.

It sema I may have been left only two options... learn how to stream or, go for broke and try The Technicians / Jim's suggestions as Samsung appear to have thrown in the towel @ v4.2.1.

I got into this as it was my intention to go on a 3 months walk-a-bout down under and wanted access to something to pass the time when wi-fi access was a no-no. The laptop was ideal but then sod's law arrived.

Given present circumstances, a tablet seemed the better option. Famous last words, but looking to the future, is why I'm hoping to nail this problem to the wall.

Jim Ford
26th October 2016, 04:48 PM
Lots of info here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10-1

Jim

Wally
27th October 2016, 08:46 AM
:tup Many thanks to everyone who contributed. *chr

Will have to inwardly digest what's been advised. Some of the links I've tried have thrown up - *nono 'Bad Guys Live Here *nono - which the AV blocks access to... which just goes to make life all the more interesting. *sob

Have a load of bumf to read through should I decide to bite the bullet.

Just hope I don't blow my head off. ;)

Ian
27th October 2016, 10:47 AM
@ The Technician - May have a look into that angle of attack. It's not that I've been diddled / conned as the tablet was basically offered for a donation to a friends cancer fund. Each year they send a donation to Cancer Research UK.

@ Ian - The films in question are - 'DVD /Blu-ray UV copies' - which are held @ Flixster in my account. Downloading from there is no problem. The 2Gb barrier is. Some items in a series are less than and the odd one is greater than.

It sema I may have been left only two options... learn how to stream or, go for broke and try The Technicians / Jim's suggestions as Samsung appear to have thrown in the towel @ v4.2.1.

I got into this as it was my intention to go on a 3 months walk-a-bout down under and wanted access to something to pass the time when wi-fi access was a no-no. The laptop was ideal but then sod's law arrived.

Given present circumstances, a tablet seemed the better option. Famous last words, but looking to the future, is why I'm hoping to nail this problem to the wall.

If you have versions of these movies on your PC you can re-render them using a video editor so that they will be more compact. You only need 720 HD resolution (1280x720). The age of the tablet's version of Android really isn't a limiting factor.

Ian