PDA

View Full Version : OMD E-M1 Mk 2 PRICE!

Wee man
25th October 2016, 12:17 PM
This months Practical Photography Magazine shows a price of 1199 for the mk2!

Wee Man

benpanesar
25th October 2016, 12:42 PM
Hey

Thanks if its true its not a bad price considering all the advances this new model brings!Time to pre order !

Ross the fiddler
25th October 2016, 12:45 PM
This months Practical Photography Magazine shows a price of 1199 for the mk2!

Wee Man

That's under AU$2000 by today's conversion.
Just for the sake of it (for me), what are the new lens prices there?

These are the Australian (& NZ) prices for these two lenses.

Product details : www.olympus.com.au/25mm
Available mid-October 2016
RRP $1999AUD $2399NZD

Product details : www.olympus.com.au/12-100mmf4
Available early November 2016
RRP $1799AUD $2199NZD

sdb123
25th October 2016, 12:46 PM
Could always be a typo...sorry, couldn't help playing devils advocate! O:)

Wee man
25th October 2016, 01:26 PM
You devil but I was pleasantly surprised hope they have it right!

Wee Man

Bikie John
25th October 2016, 01:27 PM
I have seen the 25mm f/1.2 quoted at 1099 with availability soon. 12-100 f/4 same price, expected late in the year but in very limited numbers.

John

Ross the fiddler
25th October 2016, 01:27 PM
You devil but I was pleasantly surprised hope they have it right!

Wee Man

Could that be a discount price?

Wee man
25th October 2016, 01:30 PM
Or no VAT?

Wee Man

Wee man
25th October 2016, 01:36 PM
SRS and Wex have the. Mk 1 and 12-40 lens at 1199 so it could be wrong price for the Mk2

Wee Man

benpanesar
25th October 2016, 02:12 PM
H Wee man

Was it an official magazine advert with all the blurb or an editorial piece in the magazine as the above state its surprising "cheap" at 1199 !!!

Bengeo
25th October 2016, 02:57 PM
Practical Photography (old model photo):

http://www.bengeo.com/images/practical_photography.jpg

Or half price in What Digital!

http://www.bengeo.com/images/what_digital.jpg

I still reckon it will be 1399, same as XT-2

benpanesar
25th October 2016, 03:01 PM
Hey
Now thats a bargain at 699 !

Wee man
25th October 2016, 03:18 PM
All you get from what digital is a bare sensor and a battery holder with two cars slots

Wee Man

Wee man
25th October 2016, 05:21 PM
Now the bad news, contacted my contact in Olympus. Answer; ' this is a misprint price has still not been announced.' so we are still in the dark.

Wee Man

shenstone
25th October 2016, 05:49 PM
on the rumours site they have it as $NZD 2,500 which is just over 1400

source
http://www.43rumors.com/new-zealand-price-for-the-e-m1ii/

regards
Andy

George Dorn
25th October 2016, 08:37 PM
999 in a year :D

benpanesar
25th October 2016, 09:02 PM
hey

Thanks for the update however it's a major Boo !

Harold Gough
2nd November 2016, 01:05 PM
SRSMicrosystems are asking 1849 for preorder.

Harold

benvendetta
2nd November 2016, 01:09 PM

Harold

Crazy crazy price!

Crazy Dave
2nd November 2016, 01:49 PM
The 1,400 estimates were always off the mark because the launch marketing clearly positioned the new camera as a premium product and why would any self-respecting Pro pay so little to change systems? The existing user base will feel aggrieved but Olympus have the chance of a second push in line with an offer similar to the one with the EM-5, where I was the beneficiary of a battery, grip and 45mm f/1.8 where the perceived value is much higher than the promotional cost to the manufacturer.
Possibly, Olympus have applied the Brexit penalty too harshly in line with Apple and others. Strip away VAT, that's 309, dealer's margin and other UK direct product costs and the landed price subject to lower sterling costs is quite low.

We shall see, right now there's a lock on my card and am looking for a digital replacement for my Ricoh GR1v. Needs to be light, pocketable and take great shots, any ideas?

David

PS The D500 is looking quite attractive at 260 cheaper

TonyR
2nd November 2016, 01:57 PM
I remain to be convinced that this camera will be used by many "pro's".

drmarkf
2nd November 2016, 02:06 PM
The 1,400 estimates were always off the mark because the launch marketing clearly positioned the new camera as a premium product and why would any self-respecting Pro pay so little to change systems? The existing user base will feel aggrieved but Olympus have the chance of a second push in line with an offer similar to the one with the EM-5, where I was the beneficiary of a battery, grip and 45mm f/1.8 where the perceived value is much higher than the promotional cost to the manufacturer.
Possibly, Olympus have applied the Brexit penalty too harshly in line with Apple and others. Strip away VAT, that's 309, dealer's margin and other UK direct product costs and the landed price subject to lower sterling costs is quite low.

We shall see, right now there's a lock on my card and am looking for a digital replacement for my Ricoh GR1v. Needs to be light, pocketable and take great shots, any ideas?

David

PS The D500 is looking quite attractive at 260 cheaper

I'm a big Nikon fan, but there seem to be a lot of complaints around currently about equipment failures and service cock-ups (not all just on the web, either, since 3 people in my own club have been protesting over sending back 2 D750s and an 800 several times each over the past few months).

A personal list of pocketable digital snappers with differing balances of sensor size, pocketability, interchangeable/fixed lens, cost, viewfinder etc include:

Panny GM1 and 5.
1" sensor compacts especially from Panny, Oly, canon and Sony.
Fuji X70.

Having tried several of these at various times I've settled on a second-hand X70 which I love to bits. Take off the lens hood and it slips un-noticed in to a tuxedo pocket, the 28mm equivalent lens is great and the sensor has excellent IQ and dynamic range once you've worked out how to process the images properly (i.e. not the same as m4/3). Electronic shutter if you like (although the mechanical one is virtually silent anyway), fold-out screen and tap to focus/shoot, ergonomic control wheels... I occasionally miss a VF, but only in extremely bright light.

Bengeo
2nd November 2016, 07:44 PM
I still reckon it will be 1399, same as XT-2

Not bad ..... I was only 450 out .... :eek:

Olybirder
2nd November 2016, 09:53 PM
I think the price is down to human error. Somebody, somewhere misread the figure three as an eight and nobody at Olympus has noticed. It's easily done. ;)

Ron

Crazy Dave
2nd November 2016, 11:06 PM
Having tried several of these at various times I've settled on a second-hand X70 which I love to bits. Take off the lens hood and it slips un-noticed in to a tuxedo pocket, the 28mm equivalent lens is great and the sensor has excellent IQ and dynamic range once you've worked out how to process the images properly (i.e. not the same as m4/3). Electronic shutter if you like (although the mechanical one is virtually silent anyway), fold-out screen and tap to focus/shoot, ergonomic control wheels... I occasionally miss a VF, but only in extremely bright light.

Thank you Mark, just looked at Ken Rockwell's review, there is certainly a lot of zing in his examples. Very tempting now that the Mark 11 is off the agenda for quite a while. Incidentally, our club has a m4/3 sub-group and by chance we met this very evening. Out of the ten people present, only one seriously considering buying the new Olympus.

David

drmarkf
2nd November 2016, 11:27 PM
I should add that it's got the best implementation of auto-ISO for street photography that I've yet found. You can set aperture and upper and lower limits for ISO (3200 is absolutely fine for regular use), and a full range of minimum shutter speeds before it starts increasing ISO (unlike the X100T which had a maximum of 1/125: I usually use 1/320th). This is perfect.

Crazy Dave
2nd November 2016, 11:47 PM
Sounding even better Mark. A few years ago, I bought something called a Clearviewer from the States for my LX5. It attaches to the camera via a screw into the tripod socket and folds out enabling one to hold the camera as if using a view finder. It folds back only adding a few mms to the width of the camera and weighs next to nothing. It's a bizarre little gizmo but it works in bright light. I've still got it so another reason to try the X70.

Regards

David

Phill D
3rd November 2016, 09:30 AM
Ron had it been a 3 I'd have pre-ordered one! as it is I'm beginning to wonder if it's time for a real change.

Jim Ford
3rd November 2016, 09:36 AM
Take off the lens hood and it slips un-noticed in to a tuxedo pocket

You wear a tuxedo (white?) when you go out photographing? Do you wear a cummerbund and bow tie as well?

I'll keep a look out for you - you shouldn't be hard to spot!

;^)

Jim

drmarkf
3rd November 2016, 09:51 AM
You wear a tuxedo (white?) when you go out photographing? Do you wear a cummerbund and bow tie as well?

I'll keep a look out for you - you shouldn't be hard to spot!

;^)

Jim

Ha! You may have missed my Bayreuth opera series...

Seriously, I was making the point it would sit comfortably in a suit jacket pocket not just in a Barbour.

Just spotted this on the OMD FaceBook Group: it's priceless (literally):

http://www.captiongenerator.com/188572/THE-MK2-GOES-ON-PRE-ORDER

Ricoh
3rd November 2016, 09:57 AM
I'm a big Nikon fan, but there seem to be a lot of complaints around currently about equipment failures and service cock-ups (not all just on the web, either, since 3 people in my own club have been protesting over sending back 2 D750s and an 800 several times each over the past few months).

A personal list of pocketable digital snappers with differing balances of sensor size, pocketability, interchangeable/fixed lens, cost, viewfinder etc include:

Panny GM1 and 5.
1" sensor compacts especially from Panny, Oly, canon and Sony.
Fuji X70.

Remind them of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. One attempt at repair and if unsuccessful reject the camera. I've used the act to get a new replacement Leica M240 after one unsuccessful attempt at repair.

Ricoh
3rd November 2016, 10:07 AM
Remember: A new fancy camera with lots of added features, buttons, menus etc, etc is not going to make you a better photographer. Far better to spend the money on books, tuition and travel, in that order.

Some might say, ah I see you spent a lot on purchasing a Leica. This is true, but for good reason. The M240 is a simple camera, complexity has been extracted leaving just the essentials for exposure and focus.

damianmkv
3rd November 2016, 10:13 AM
For those who are mystified by the price ( me included ), would you really jump ship and if so for what ?

I used to be a Nikon user and it was great but I'm used to m43. My "issues" with the e-m1 are C-AF, EVF blackouts, noise, DR, battery life. The pros are the EVF, size, IQ, AF speed / accuracy, ability to shoot at 1/16000, silent shutter mode etc etc

So there are pros and cons.

Say I sell up, i reckon my used gear is worth around 2250 so what do i buy ? A D750 + 24-120 at 1880 grey leaving me 370. Now i have one lens to cover 24-120 whereas i currently have ( in 35mm equiv terms ) 15-420 mm. With m43, I don't have back focus issues, oil spots, "err" messages or anything else that i've seen on various forums about the d750

IMO, there is no point changing systems unless you're deeply unhappy with how your gear performs. Just wait for the market and the price will find its correct level in 9-12 months

bilbo
3rd November 2016, 10:23 AM
For those who are mystified by the price ( me included ), would you really jump ship and if so for what ?

I used to be a Nikon user and it was great but I'm used to m43. My "issues" with the e-m1 are C-AF, EVF blackouts, noise, DR, battery life. The pros are the EVF, size, IQ, AF speed / accuracy, ability to shoot at 1/16000, silent shutter mode etc etc

So there are pros and cons.

Say I sell up, i reckon my used gear is worth around 2250 so what do i buy ? A D750 + 24-120 at 1880 grey leaving me 370. Now i have one lens to cover 24-120 whereas i currently have ( in 35mm equiv terms ) 15-420 mm. With m43, I don't have back focus issues, oil spots, "err" messages or anything else that i've seen on various forums about the d750

IMO, there is no point changing systems unless you're deeply unhappy with how your gear performs. Just wait for the market and the price will find its correct level in 9-12 months

I agree. I'll just stick with my E-M1.

Olybirder
3rd November 2016, 11:00 AM
The price of the E-M1 Mk 2 is a quarter of my total annual income so I will definitely not be buying one. In a way the price is a relief as, if it were any cheaper, I would be looking for ways to afford one, which would probably not be a good thing. The same applies to the 300mm f/4.

I will be sticking with my current equipment as I am well aware that the thing restricting my photographic progress is my own limited abilities and not the equipment I use.

Ron

drmarkf
3rd November 2016, 11:18 AM
I agree. I'll just stick with my E-M1.

Me too.

Trouble is, a friend has just offered me his mint A7Rii (around 1700 actuations) plus a metabones Canon adapter at a very keen price...

Wee man
3rd November 2016, 12:09 PM
Panasonic then lens still work, and the 100-400 mm could join my collection.

Wee Man

Naughty Nigel
3rd November 2016, 12:25 PM
This may help the price over the coming weeks:

Pound jumps in wake of Brexit ruling (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37858010)

Wee man
3rd November 2016, 12:32 PM
Exchange rate does not bother me I would still need 1850 as the price will stay the same.

Wee Man

Naughty Nigel
3rd November 2016, 12:40 PM
Exchange rate does not bother me I would still need 1850 as the price will stay the same.

Wee Man

Many large companies are using BREXIT and the exchange rate to justify raising prices. At least if the GBP recovers and holds firm it will help to defeat that argument.

Presumably though you can buy from south of the border at a good price in Euros?

Harold Gough
3rd November 2016, 12:59 PM

Harold

Ffordes are offering the same so that's the going rate!

Harold

Wee man
3rd November 2016, 01:22 PM
Not any more it used to be worth going down south but with the Euro change they are now selling at an equal price. By the time fuel etc is added it might work out more expensive. But Conns in Dublin is about the only place close to me to handle the mk2

Wee Man

Daveart
3rd November 2016, 01:24 PM
Well I got an email from US Olympus pre order ptice $1990, so 1890 would seem about right I recon

yorky
3rd November 2016, 01:25 PM
I would have thought the price of body only should be no more than around 1200.00 At that sort of price I could be tempted. But then again I am easily led astray :-(

Beagletorque
4th November 2016, 11:18 AM
No hype here...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/10/26/my-first-day-impressions-with-the-olympus-e-m1-mkii-and-new-lenses/

or here..

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/11/01/the-olympus-e-m1-mkii-review-part-1-iceland/

Harold Gough
4th November 2016, 11:31 AM
No hype here...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/10/26/my-first-day-impressions-with-the-olympus-e-m1-mkii-and-new-lenses/

or here..

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/11/01/the-olympus-e-m1-mkii-review-part-1-iceland/

Menus easy? A clear hoax!

Harold

Naughty Nigel
4th November 2016, 11:42 AM
Looks seriously impressive.

I look forward to reading reviews in AP, (no doubt with their Canikon hats on). :rolleyes:

Harold Gough
4th November 2016, 11:51 AM
One thing to note:

It uses a new model of battery. Whether your old ones (lower capacity) will work remains to be seen.

Harold

Olybirder
4th November 2016, 11:56 AM
One thing to note:

It uses a new model of battery. Whether your old ones (lower capacity) will work remains to be seen.

HaroldI think the new battery is physically bigger so the previous one won't fit. The price has increased to about 75 too.

One detail I noticed from a review is that they have reversed the lever and it can now be programmed as the on/off button. I know some people have criticised the location of that button on the left hand side on the E-M1 Mk1.

Ron

Walti
4th November 2016, 12:33 PM
No hype here...

or here..

I liked one of his negatives!

Can he have a switch to disable all the buttons so they're not accidentally changed as you walk? - it's already got one! The power switch! the Mk1 powers up quickly enough!