PDA

View Full Version : Unless you've got a helicopter ......

Jim Ford
24th October 2016, 12:55 PM
..... forget it if you're thinking of going by car to Down House (Charles Darwin's house in Kent), navigating by sat. nav.!

It took us 60 mins to hack 60 miles round the M25 to within less than 10 miles of the house, but a further 30 zig-zagging across the countryside along single-track 'B' roads. My partner found the last bit so stressful, that she was at the point of taking a diazapam!

It was an interesting visit, but I wouldn't rely on a sat. nav. if I went again. Although it's within the comforting embrace of the M25, the house is in a very rural and isolated spot.

Jim

Ian
24th October 2016, 01:47 PM
Which satnav system?

Ian

shenstone
24th October 2016, 01:58 PM
LOL ...

Although it's within the comforting embrace of the M25

There's your problem.

Maybe your GPS (like me) considers that within the M25 is a different planet to the rest of us (and one best avoided) so maybe trying to save you stress

*chr:D:D

I had mine pack up on my way back to Newark airport just on the edge of greater New York last week and ended up navigating by memory - nearly as much fun as you seem to have, luckily my memory was up to it

Jim Ford
24th October 2016, 03:18 PM
Which satnav system?

TomTom.

Jim

iso
24th October 2016, 06:29 PM
Well coming from Watford (was it slightly north of said area?), what do you expect? Us Kentish people have a habit of misguiding the traveller, seafarer.
However, going to Down (e) House, suggests you may be a Member of English Heritage - in which case you have far better choices up your way than we do here. Nevertheless, hope it doesn't deter you from future exploration *chr

Jim Ford
24th October 2016, 06:35 PM
However, going to Down (e) House, suggests you may be a Member of English Heritage - in which case you have far better choices up your way than we do here. Nevertheless, hope it doesn't deter you from future exploration *chr

No, we're not members of English Heritage, so we had to pay.

Interestingly it's Down House, which is in Downe:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/home-of-charles-darwin-down-house/

Jim

iso
24th October 2016, 06:46 PM
Funny, we have not been there yet - was it worth the visit?

Jim Ford
24th October 2016, 09:17 PM
Funny, we have not been there yet - was it worth the visit?

Yes, very much so. It was quite awe inspiring to see the study and walk along the 'Sand Walk' where he thought about and wrote one of the greatest scientific books ever written!

What was disappointing though was the audio guide. The content was OK, but the hardware was idiosyncratic and unresponsive.

Jim

Zuiko
24th October 2016, 09:53 PM
It's good to hear that remote locations like that can still be found (or not!) so close to London. Maybe Darwin chose it on purpose as some sort of evolutionary test - survival of the smartest. :D

As for satnavs, ours always seems to lose the satellites just at the crucial moment. I prefer a good old-fashioned paper road atlas.

David M
24th October 2016, 10:56 PM
In the summer a tourist drove off the dock into Lake Huron at Tobermory. They were following their Satnav, much easier than looking out of the windscreen to check what's ahead.

Jim Ford
25th October 2016, 08:36 AM
It's good to hear that remote locations like that can still be found (or not!) so close to London. Maybe Darwin chose it on purpose as some sort of evolutionary test - survival of the smartest. :D

He used to live in Gower Street and moved because the constant sound of horses hooves on the cobbled street prevented him from studying!

I think he made a mistake choosing Downe though - you can't get a good mobile signal there!

Jim

Petrochemist
25th October 2016, 02:19 PM
I think he made a mistake choosing Downe though - you can't get a good mobile signal there!

Jim

Probably just another distraction he wanted to avoid... :D

iso
25th October 2016, 04:49 PM
In the summer a tourist drove off the dock into Lake Huron at Tobermory. They were following their Satnav, much easier than looking out of the windscreen to check what's ahead.

WELL does the above put fear into us all!! - placing Lake Huron Canada, in proximity to Tobermory !! (Must have been a 'Grey Import').:(

David M
25th October 2016, 09:38 PM
WELL does the above put fear into us all!! - placing Lake Huron Canada, in proximity to Tobermory !! (Must have been a 'Grey Import').:(

Actually there's a lot of British place names in this part of Ontario. I lived in Southampton for years. There's an Alvanley just down the road and there's one in Cheshire close to where I grew up. Tobermory, Ontario is at the tip of the Bruce Peninsula, a ferry sails from there in the summer. It's a short cut to northern Ontario saving several hours driving around Georgian Bay.

shenstone
25th October 2016, 09:44 PM
Actually there's a lot of British place names in this part of Ontario. I lived in Southampton for years. There's an Alvanley just down the road and there's one in Cheshire close to where I grew up. Tobermory, Ontario is at the tip of the Bruce Peninsula, a ferry sails from there in the summer. It's a short cut to northern Ontario saving several hours driving around Georgian Bay.

And I believe you have a Scarborough. My home town

Regards
Andy

David M
25th October 2016, 09:53 PM
And I believe you have a Scarborough. My home town

Regards
Andy

There is, it's part of Toronto now I believe. There's also a Hatherton, I grew up in Hatherton, Cheshire.

maccabeej
26th October 2016, 08:45 AM
Ditch the Sat Nav it's a 5min drive from the A21 most of it along a road wide enough for two trucks to pass. Must admit some of the country roads in the area are bit tight but you very rarely need to take them.

iso
26th October 2016, 06:34 PM
Hi David, yes the list of UK place names around the world is endless. I just liked the juxtaposition of two 'watery' names rather fun :)

Naughty Nigel
26th October 2016, 07:40 PM

Jim

IK Brunel made the same mistake when he plotted the course of the Great Western Railway. :rolleyes:

The signal is Ok as far as Bristol TM, but from there onwards it deteriorates rapidly. )

Jim Ford
26th October 2016, 09:20 PM
It winds me up when Yanks say 'London, England' or 'Paris, France'!

London in England is just 'London'. London, 'SomewhereElse' is 'London, SomewhereElse'. Similarly for Paris.

I've even heard "Frans, Yurp"!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
26th October 2016, 09:43 PM

London in England is just 'London'. London, 'SomewhereElse' is 'London, SomewhereElse'. Similarly for Paris.

Jim

In my experience the average American has zero grasp of world geography.

I distinctly recall a telephone conversation with the support department of a large American software company, (back in George W's era, when these people still spoke to their customers).

I was asked for my address. ........... "Durham City, Co. Durham, England" I replied.

"England: is that in You-rope?" he said. :eek:

This worries me, especially given the American's enthusiasm for bombing foreign countries they don't understand.

I just hope there are no cities by the name of Dur-ham in the middle east, or we could be in trouble. :rolleyes:

David M
26th October 2016, 09:48 PM

Jim

I've got into the habit of saying London, England as most people assume I'm referring to London, Ontario. At times I have to think before saying something to use the North American term or word. Mind you, SWMBO now calls a shopping cart a trolley. And she got her friend calling it a trolley which bugs her husband.

iso
27th October 2016, 03:49 PM
I've got into the habit of saying London, England as most people assume I'm referring to London, Ontario. .

Yes funny that. Have been to Toronto (Though it's not pronounced locally as spelt), twice this year, and often when asked, replied London...(pause)... England. Oh! :)