PDA

View Full Version : Particle in my viewfinder

PeterD
16th January 2009, 09:17 PM
I wonder if anyone else has seen a particle in their viewfinder? Can anyone please give me advice on how to clear it.
The particle must be in the viewing assembly as it does not appear on the images. Its quite large and seems to be lodged in one place.
Any advice would be welcome. I just hope it is not a return under warranty:(

Cheers

Peter

photo_owl
16th January 2009, 10:27 PM
wouldn't it be actually on the focus screen (if it's sharp in the viewfinder) ?

PeterD
16th January 2009, 10:52 PM
wouldn't it be actually on the focus screen (if it's sharp in the viewfinder) ?

I think you are correct but I have made a point never to tamper with the camera unless I know what I am doing. Thats why I hope that one of you could give me some guidance. I certainly am reluctant to return it for rework as I have only recently got it back from repair. What annoys me is this is meant to be a weather proof camera so how did anything get in anyway?

Peter

Henk
17th January 2009, 05:50 AM
What annoys me is this is meant to be a weather proof camera so how did anything get in anyway?

You ever change lenses? The inside is not weatherproof so when you change lenses you have a huge hole for dust etc. to enter the camera.

If the particle is on the outside of the focusing screen you may blow it away, else you will need to send the camera in again.

PeterD
17th January 2009, 08:42 AM
You ever change lenses? The inside is not weatherproof so when you change lenses you have a huge hole for dust etc. to enter the camera.

If the particle is on the outside of the focusing screen you may blow it away, else you will need to send the camera in again.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, of course I change lenses but make sure It is only done at home in a clean environment. Do you suggest I try using a puffer bottle with the lens removed to try and shift it? This is the first time I have had this as a problem in the three years of owning the an E system camera.

Peter

Henk
17th January 2009, 08:59 AM
Do you suggest I try using a puffer bottle with the lens removed to try and shift it?

That's what I would try.

We (Olympus E-system camera owners and users) must realize that the weather sealing and dust buster system are not a 100% guarantee that dust will stay out of our cameras.

I had some on the sensor last year, noticed it only when I reviewed some shots of clear blue sky magnified and got rid of it with a simple puffer.

PeterD
17th January 2009, 09:28 AM
That's what I would try.

We (Olympus E-system camera owners and users) must realize that the weather sealing and dust buster system are not a 100% guarantee that dust will stay out of our cameras.

I had some on the sensor last year, noticed it only when I reviewed some shots of clear blue sky magnified and got rid of it with a simple puffer.

Thanks Henk. I shall give it a try.

Peter

PeterD
17th January 2009, 09:39 AM
Henk

Many thanks - particle cleared. It must have been lying on top of the focus screen. I appreciate your advice.*chr

Peter

shenstone
17th January 2009, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately I think I can tell you exactly what you have and where the problem is

I had the same problem recently ....

If you take the lens off and look on the upper side of the entrance to the body you will see a small lens that leads up to the viewfinder. I had a spec on that and thought I'd blow it off with a blower brush.

Trouble is that it's held on with a very small metal clip which I caught and popped the lens out !

It went back OK after a lot of fiddling and a lot more swearing (this was the night before a VIP shoot I'd been asked to do at work). Trouble is I now have about 4 specs !

If I was going to try it again I'd use a compressed air cartridge. Although as you say it's not coming out on the pictures so I'm living with it for now until I'm calm enough to try it again

Regards
Andy

PeterD
17th January 2009, 09:55 AM
Unfortunately I think I can tell you exactly what you have and where the problem is

I had the same problem recently ....

If you take the lens off and look on the upper side of the entrance to the body you will see a small lens that leads up to the viewfinder. I had a spec on that and thought I'd blow it off with a blower brush.

Trouble is that it's held on with a very small metal clip which I caught and popped the lens out !

It went back OK after a lot of fiddling and a lot more swearing (this was the night before a VIP shoot I'd been asked to do at work). Trouble is I now have about 4 specs !

If I was going to try it again I'd use a compressed air cartridge. Although as you say it's not coming out on the pictures so I'm living with it for now until I'm calm enough to try it again

Regards
Andy

Hi Andy. Thanks for replying. Got rid of the problem and it was where you describe. I removed the brush from the puffer bottle and used air alone.
I am relieved it was as straight forward as it turned out. I get a bit nervous in touching the internals without getting advice first.

Peter

andym
17th January 2009, 10:03 AM
Peter

Strange you should post this today.

I have had some crap on the upper side of my focus screen on my E3 for some time,I thought of sending it in for cleaning but never got round to it and more or less learned to live with it .
Now yesterday for some reason I decided to go out with the old E1 for a change.I realised how nice it was to have a nice clean viewfinder.
Now the E1 has a user changeable screen which I have had out many times for cleaning.
Being a bit of a "fiddler" when I got home I took the bull by the horns and had a go at my E3.
The screen is very easy to get out by carefully pushing the front of the cradle towards the back of the camera to get the lug to come out of recess.
The hard bit is putting it back which took my about 30 min very careful fiddling trying various options.
In the end I put the front lug back in first and then slid the back of the cradle down to get the two lugs into place.
There are some web sites with pictures of the proceedure.Also there is a you tube video of someone removing and E500 screen which is very similar.

Now I'm not saying this is easy but it is an option.

PeterD
17th January 2009, 10:29 AM
Peter

Strange you should post this today.

I have had some crap on the upper side of my focus screen on my E3 for some time,I thought of sending it in for cleaning but never got round to it and more or less learned to live with it .
Now yesterday for some reason I decided to go out with the old E1 for a change.I realised how nice it was to have a nice clean viewfinder.
Now the E1 has a user changeable screen which I have had out many times for cleaning.
Being a bit of a "fiddler" when I got home I took the bull by the horns and had a go at my E3.
The screen is very easy to get out by carefully pushing the front of the cradle towards the back of the camera to get the lug to come out of recess.
The hard bit is putting it back which took my about 30 min very careful fiddling trying various options.
In the end I put the front lug back in first and then slid the back of the cradle down to get the two lugs into place.
There are some web sites with pictures of the proceedure.Also there is a you tube video of someone removing and E500 screen which is very similar.

Now I'm not saying this is easy but it is an option.

Thanks for your reply Andy.
Luckily the particle was on the outside of the focus screen and was easily cleared. I shall keep your tips for removal of the focus screen in case I need to do this in the future. I must have been lucky then, in 3 years, this is the first time I have come across this problem.
Peter

photo_owl
17th January 2009, 12:20 PM
Glad it's sorted

Outside of the focus screen is normally OK when changing lenses but is prone to catch something if the camera is held upside down in the cold (damp particles can float around and stick).

Not having sswf they don't get shaken off again!

Outside is easy, inside is a different matter - and some are brave.

Henk
17th January 2009, 12:27 PM
Henk

Many thanks - particle cleared. It must have been lying on top of the focus screen. I appreciate your advice.*chr

Peter

You're welcome, isn't this what we are on the forum for?:)

*chr

Jonesgj
22nd December 2009, 10:41 PM
I was really enjoying using my E-3 and have been struck with the particle on the focus 'shim'? I have this on my E-520 and despite blowing/puffing, it only seems to get worse. Now with the E-3, you would have thought I would have learnt. Well instead of 2 specs I now have 6 .... is it something to do with static???

It's driving me mad.

michaelavis
4th January 2010, 06:48 PM
I went through this trauma myself a while ago, what started as one or two specs ended up with loads of specs after I had finished with my fiddling. I ended up taking my camera to Luton Cameras and after 2 hours in their workshop they made it much better but couldn't clear it all.

I only notice the specs when shooting against a light background such as the sky, they told me to fix it completely probably required a new prism at several hundred pounds to supply and fit so I live with it.

shenstone
4th January 2010, 08:50 PM
Been there

Dislodged the internal screen and put it back with more specks as per prior replies

I would advise against worrying unless they are really bad and if you do decide to do it get very carefully set-up with camera and fine brushes and don't rush the job

Regards
Andy