PDA

View Full Version : At last, a date for my new hip

Zuiko
20th October 2016, 09:06 PM
The last year hasn't been very much fun for me, with a worn-out hip joint making it painful to walk even short distances and I haven't felt like taking any photographs since January. Today, however, I finally got a date for a hip replacement - 21st November.

I feel a mixture of relief and apprehension, but I've been waiting so long I just want to get it done. I don't suppose it will make me as good as new, but hopefully I will feel a heck of a lot better than I do at the moment and at least able to do some short walks. :)

pdk42
20th October 2016, 09:15 PM
The last year hasn't been very much fun for me, with a worn-out hip joint making it painful to walk even short distances and I haven't felt like taking any photographs since January. Today, however, I finally got a date for a hip replacement - 21st November.

I feel a mixture of relief and apprehension, but I've been waiting so long I just want to get it done. I don't suppose it will make me as good as new, but hopefully I will feel a heck of a lot better than I do at the moment and at least able to do some short walks. :)

Good luck John - let's hope it gets your photo mojo back.

cliff
20th October 2016, 09:21 PM
Wishing you the best of luck John
A college at my old firm had this done and the improvement in his mobility is incredible, and almost instantaneous

Ricoh
20th October 2016, 11:09 PM
That's good news for you John. It's so widely done now that your surgeon could probably do it blindfolded (let's hope he doesn't) and the prognosis is very, very good. Are you having a general or lumbar anaesthetic?

Melaka
21st October 2016, 06:21 AM
That's excellent news.

timboo
21st October 2016, 06:32 AM
My aunt had both done recently. It has made a world of difference to her and was a life changer. I can understand your apprehension of the procedure, but the positives massively outweigh the negatives especially in terms of quality of life and my aunt would agree whole heartedly Hope all goes well for you as im sure it will.

Ian
21st October 2016, 07:01 AM
Great news! :)

Ian

Wee man
21st October 2016, 07:44 AM
Great to hear a friend had his done and is back to driving and playing golf.

Wee Man

RogerMac
21st October 2016, 07:56 AM
Good luck John. I have not had one done myself but my wife has had two (different sides) and it is truly a life changing procedure, both ops changed her from being chair bound and in great pain to having an active energetic life again, I am sure yours will do the same for you

Roger

Graham_of_Rainham
21st October 2016, 08:00 AM
Good news at last. Best of luck with the opp.

*chr

bilbo
21st October 2016, 08:03 AM
All the best with this op John. You'll be jiving by Christmas!

*chr

Naughty Nigel
21st October 2016, 08:07 AM
That's great news John.

I have no personal experience of this procedure (thankfully), but I understand they ORDER you to get up and about walking within a few hours. *yes

Just don't forget to take your camera with you, and don't stand still for too long composing shots! :D

PeterBirder
21st October 2016, 09:16 AM
Great news John.

All the best.*chr

Zuiko
21st October 2016, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all your good wishes, guys. My Dad had a hip replacement, so I know what a positive change it makes to your life but I'm still a little bit scared! My main concern at the moment is that the surgeon wants me to have an epidural (lumbar anaesthetic) but I would much prefer a general anaesthetic. I'll try to sort that out when I attend the pre-surgery assessment in a couple of weeks. :)

OM USer
21st October 2016, 10:12 AM
Yes, great news John.

pandora
21st October 2016, 11:02 AM
Just a calendar month away, I wish you well, John.

sapper
21st October 2016, 11:12 AM
Good news John. I have only heard good results from hip replacement ops.

Graptolite
21st October 2016, 01:21 PM
I had one done about 4 years ago under a spinal anaesthetic John - it has been literally life-changing. The spinal was fine too - much quicker recovery than a GA, but I suggest you ask for sedation so that you snooze through it all. If I ever needed the other one done I would have absolutely no hesitation.
And I even got a request played for my new hip on Radio Scotland while I was in hospital! *yes

Wally
21st October 2016, 01:21 PM
Best bit of news I've come across in a long time.

Xmas has come early and as presents go, this has to be high up in the top ten of life. :tup

Zuiko
21st October 2016, 02:48 PM
I had one done about 4 years ago under a spinal anaesthetic John - it has been literally life-changing. The spinal was fine too - much quicker recovery than a GA, but I suggest you ask for sedation so that you snooze through it all. If I ever needed the other one done I would have absolutely no hesitation.
And I even got a request played for my new hip on Radio Scotland while I was in hospital! *yes

Thanks for the reassurance about the spinal anaesthetic, David, I might be slightly less worried if they insist on me having it.

What was the song played on the radio.... "The hip bone's connected to the thigh bone"

DerekW
21st October 2016, 03:35 PM
My wife had a knee swap without a GA fully conscious with a spinal block. She could hear all the banter with the surgical team and chat to the anaesthetist during the process, she felt the vibrations from the saw. They hid her from the action with a sheet hanging down.

skids
21st October 2016, 04:50 PM
Remember when my Father In Law had his done. The difference for him was amazing. Only downside for me was the waiting list for him was 7 months and 'The Family' decided that was too long for him to wait so we would all chip in and pay for him to private. That cost me the 1.5k I'd saved up for a top of the state telly which I've now never bought. Money well spent though.

Hope the op goes okay and sure you will get the same successful result.

iso
21st October 2016, 05:10 PM
John - Hip Hip Hooray! All I have heard too is that it really makes a positive difference.*chr

maccabeej
21st October 2016, 05:33 PM
Fantastic news John. Thankfully you won't be recording it for the forum. Looking forward to seeing you frolicking around like a spring lamb!

Graptolite
21st October 2016, 06:12 PM
What was the song played on the radio.... "The hip bone's connected to the thigh bone"

Not that one John.
It was 'Born to run' by Bruce Springsteen.

*yes

Zuiko
21st October 2016, 07:37 PM
Remember when my Father In Law had his done. The difference for him was amazing. Only downside for me was the waiting list for him was 7 months and 'The Family' decided that was too long for him to wait so we would all chip in and pay for him to private. That cost me the 1.5k I'd saved up for a top of the state telly which I've now never bought. Money well spent though.

Hope the op goes okay and sure you will get the same successful result.

I would have gone private too, if I could afford it. By the time I have the op it will be 9 months since referral by my GP. Nearly there now, though. :)

Zuiko
21st October 2016, 07:46 PM
My wife had a knee swap without a GA fully conscious with a spinal block. She could hear all the banter with the surgical team and chat to the anaesthetist during the process, she felt the vibrations from the saw. They hid her from the action with a sheet hanging down.

Yes, it was exactly the same when my sister had her knee replaced and that's what frightens me! I'd much rather have a general anaesthetic and be completely unaware of what's happening. If I fail to wake up that's not my problem! Also, I've heard of people left with permanent back pain following an epidural.

IainMacD
21st October 2016, 08:44 PM
Great news John, I'm sure everything will be fine on the day and much better in the future.

JohnGG
21st October 2016, 08:55 PM
My main concern at the moment is that the surgeon wants me to have an epidural (lumbar anaesthetic) but I would much prefer a general anaesthetic.

My Mum had an epidural for her second hip replacement (her first is still going strong after 26 years!) and said it was a pleasant but rather surreal experience. She had no pain or discomfort but was rather puzzled to see a foot waving about above the curtain across her middle until she realised it was her own :)

Best of luck with the operation!

Cheers,

JohnGG

Wee man
21st October 2016, 10:03 PM
Have good talk before agreeing which to have if you go with epidural make sure to be sedated so when you awaken it will be over and will have been pain and memory free.

Wee Man

Ross the fiddler
22nd October 2016, 04:57 AM
Good to hear your in line for it now & hope all goes well for the op & your recovery. *yes

*chr

Beagletorque
22nd October 2016, 08:26 AM
Great news John, wishing you well.

Bikie John
22nd October 2016, 09:08 AM
Good news, all the best John. I can only echo what others have already said - for everyone I know who has had it done it has been a great success.

Other John

Imageryone
22nd October 2016, 09:41 AM
Bit late to this , John, but such good news for you. I know quite a few who have had replacements and am yet to meet one who is unhappy with the outcome. Maybe NEXT year our health will let us meet up again. I really look forward to that :)

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd October 2016, 09:55 AM
I hope we are going to see lots of detailed pictures. :eek:

pdk42
22nd October 2016, 10:02 AM
Yes, it was exactly the same when my sister had her knee replaced and that's what frightens me! I'd much rather have a general anaesthetic and be completely unaware of what's happening.

John - this sort of thing fascinates me. Read up on the procedure and ask questions of the surgeons. In the end, it's just a bit of fancy woodwork! :)

Jim Ford
22nd October 2016, 10:21 AM
My partner's had both hips done.

She was prepared for the pain following the operation but not for the severe constipation, which caused her more distress than the operation. I understand that it is as a result of the morphine.

It seems to be the sort of treatment that immediately afterwards most people regret it, but months after they're glad they had it done.

Hope it all goes OK.

Jim

Zuiko
22nd October 2016, 11:03 AM
Bit late to this , John, but such good news for you. I know quite a few who have had replacements and am yet to meet one who is unhappy with the outcome. Maybe NEXT year our health will let us meet up again. I really look forward to that :)

I hope so, David, this year has been a write-off.

Zuiko
22nd October 2016, 11:07 AM
John - this sort of thing fascinates me. Read up on the procedure and ask questions of the surgeons. In the end, it's just a bit of fancy woodwork! :)

Haha it doesn't interest me, Paul, the less I know about it the better! :D

Ricoh
22nd October 2016, 11:10 AM
Haha it doesn't interest me, Paul, the less I know about it the better! :D

Whilst the surgeon in listening to the Carpenters, no doubt... kind of hush :)

Zuiko
22nd October 2016, 11:11 AM
My partner's had both hips done.

She was prepared for the pain following the operation but not for the severe constipation, which caused her more distress than the operation. I understand that it is as a result of the morphine.

It seems to be the sort of treatment that immediately afterwards most people regret it, but months after they're glad they had it done.

Hope it all goes OK.

Jim

Well, that's cheered me up, Jim. I already suffer from chronic constipation, which is another unfortunate symptom of Parkinson's. Maybe I should ask my doctor to increase my daily dose of laxatives.

Jim Ford
22nd October 2016, 12:22 PM
Well, that's cheered me up, Jim. I already suffer from chronic constipation, which is another unfortunate symptom of Parkinson's. Maybe I should ask my doctor to increase my daily dose of laxatives.

My partner is also a regular sufferer. I bought 2 packs of these last week:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XBN83Q6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(When she comes out of the toilet I sometimes ask "High fives?")

More seriously:

I think that part of the problem is that the 'Pain Control Nurse' only concentrates on alleviating the post operative pain - with morphine - without much consideration of it's side effects. I don't know if there are effective alternatives - I suspect not. Our next door neighbour is recovering from a knee replacement a couple of weeks ago, and she stopped her morphine because of it's effect on her digestive system.

Perhaps a 'low residue diet' up to and after the op. may help?

Jim

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd October 2016, 12:33 PM
Maybe I should ask my doctor to increase my daily dose of laxatives.

Just keep thinking of Trump becoming President. That scares the crap out of me... :eek:

iso
22nd October 2016, 07:03 PM
Question seems to be - awake or not awake - try having a Cataract Op (Twice)!!!! Awake yes - Eyes Open Yes - Don't move Yes -. Actually is was ok, and as I think it has been said previously, better the spinal than the sometimes GA sluggish aftereffects - But it all comes down to that great phrase 'It's MY body' so do what you are comfortable with . It will all be well*chr

Zuiko
22nd October 2016, 08:31 PM
Question seems to be - awake or not awake - try having a Cataract Op (Twice)!!!! Awake yes - Eyes Open Yes - Don't move Yes -. Actually is was ok, and as I think it has been said previously, better the spinal than the sometimes GA sluggish aftereffects - But it all comes down to that great phrase 'It's MY body' so do what you are comfortable with . It will all be well*chr

I can see your point, I think being awake for a cataract operation must be THE worst. :eek:

DerekW
22nd October 2016, 11:11 PM
I had three cataract ops, after the first one it was of little concern because I had watched the You Tube videos and understood what was happening. My only disappointment was that the faulty cataracted lens is fragmented and washed away so I was not able to see what all the fuss was about.

Go for the spinal tap and keep awake to learn what is being done to you. And ensure that you get a catheter installed to avoid the use of those horrible compressed cardboard bottles.

Phill D
24th October 2016, 08:01 PM
John only just caught up with this thread John. A bionic Zuiko :) sounds like we'll all have trouble keeping up. All the best for your up coming op. I look forward to that trip to Hatfield Forest when you are running around.

Zuiko
24th October 2016, 09:27 PM
John only just caught up with this thread John. A bionic Zuiko :) sounds like we'll all have trouble keeping up. All the best for your up coming op. I look forward to that trip to Hatfield Forest when you are running around.

Thanks Phill, shame I can't get up Hatfield Forest now, the autumn colours should be coming along nicely. I'll have to look forward to the buttercups in May instead (hopefully).

Ian
22nd November 2016, 07:10 AM
I haven't been in touch with John recently, but I do hope he is comfortable and recovering well from his scheduled hip operation yesterday!

Ian

Barr1e
22nd November 2016, 08:48 AM
I haven't been in touch with John recently, but I do hope he is comfortable and recovering well from his scheduled hip operation yesterday!

Ian

Likewise Ian.

Regards. Barr1e

Bikie John
22nd November 2016, 08:53 AM
Ditto. I hope it went ahead as scheduled, and that John is recovering well.

Other John

Wally
22nd November 2016, 09:03 AM
I'm sure John will be along shortly... Too busy filling out forms for the next London Marathon. :tup

Wee man
22nd November 2016, 09:12 AM
Hope all went well, waiting for the post op reports.

Wee Man

Zuiko
22nd November 2016, 09:50 AM
Unfortunately my operation was cancelled. It's now scheduled for 6th December; I just hope it goes as planned this time! :rolleyes:

DerekW
22nd November 2016, 10:12 AM
I had a spinal fusion cancelled as I waited to be taken to the theatre as a specific tool (glorified screwdriver) was missing from the tray of tools.

However the following week (the week before Christmas) I received superb treatment, single room, super view over the town looking to the Isle of Wight.

We had a meal at a pub the night of cancelled op, I was so relieved, then it was downhill again to the actual op.

SO good luck - as it gets closer to Christmas the patient rush is reduced as some people do not want to be in a post operative state for Xmas, so you can get a better experience.

MargaretR
22nd November 2016, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately my operation was cancelled. It's now scheduled for 6th December; I just hope it goes as planned this time! :rolleyes:

Bummer! Better luck next time.

Phill D
22nd November 2016, 10:54 AM
At least the 6th of December is too far off. Hope they don't cancel it again.
All the best John.

OM USer
22nd November 2016, 11:05 AM
Yes, best of luck. When's the charity walk?

Wee man
22nd November 2016, 11:11 AM
John sorry to hear but just think you may be lucky and the hospital could be serving Christmas dinner when it's all over. Then you will really have something to worry about if the side effects of your pain killers are true.

Wee Man

Ian
22nd November 2016, 11:47 AM
Oh dear! Fingers crossed then...

Ian

Ross the fiddler
22nd November 2016, 12:00 PM
Sorry to hear of the delay but hope all goes well then John. *chr

Beagletorque
22nd November 2016, 12:58 PM

Hopefully the anaesthetic has worn off....:D

tomphotofx
22nd November 2016, 03:42 PM
Best of luck John for the operation. A success story regarding this procedure is my son in laws mum who is 79 had both hips replaced at the same time back in 2014 as her hips were completely gone and she couldn't walk at all (the surgeon advised it would be the best solution in the circumstances). I'm pleased to say she has made a marvellous recovery and can now walk without any aids and it has given her a new lease of life.

All the best

Tom

Zuiko
22nd November 2016, 04:45 PM
Guess what? I've received another letter today informing me that the 6th December is cancelled and my op is now scheduled for 13th December.

I won't hold my breath! :rolleyes:

Ian
22nd November 2016, 05:26 PM
Wow! Out of interest at which hospital will the operation be carried out?

Ian

Wee man
22nd November 2016, 05:38 PM
John hope all goes well on the 13th

Wee Man

iso
22nd November 2016, 07:06 PM
John - sorry to hear of another delay - perhaps they have run out of the right Hip Size for you*chr

Zuiko
22nd November 2016, 11:00 PM
Wow! Out of interest at which hospital will the operation be carried out?

Ian

Broomfield (Chelmsford) ......... eventually!

drmarkf
22nd November 2016, 11:30 PM
Good. We'll be thinking of you.

Ricoh
23rd November 2016, 12:18 AM
Remember to take with you your passport and utility bill!