PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II Will Start Shipping in Early December

DavyG
18th October 2016, 11:53 AM
From Cameratimes.org:

http://cameratimes.org/confirmed-olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-will-start-shipping-early-december/

Great news for all Olympus folks: It is now confirmed that the new Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II (http://cameratimes.org/tag/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii/) mirrorless camera will start shipping in early December, 2016. And Olympus will have a major E-M1 Mark II try out event with journalist during the first week of November, it is highly likely the pre-order will open then, just before Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2016 (http://cameratimes.org/confirmed-olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-will-start-shipping-early-december/cameratimes.org/black-friday-cyber-monday-camera-lens-deals/).
According to the report from 43Rumors (http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-confirmed-olympus-e-m1ii-will-start-shipping-the-first-week-of-december/), Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II (http://cameratimes.org/tag/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii/) (a very limited quantity) camera will first be released the first week of December, and larger stock will start shipping out in January 2017. The US price of E-M1 Mark II is NOT confirmed yet, but it is expected to be around $1,599, the same price as Fujifilm X-T2 (https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-T2-Mirrorless-Digital-Body/dp/B01I3LNMAM/?tag=cameratimes-20), a little more expensive than the Olympus E-M1 (launch price $1,399, currently for $1,099) (https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera-3-Inch/dp/B00EQ07PG2/?tag=cameratimes-20).

I'm guessing UK cost will be in the region of £1600.00.

Dave

Olybirder
18th October 2016, 02:31 PM
The current UK price of the X-T2 seems to be around £1400 in most stores. If the E-M1 Mark II is to be priced similarly to the X-T2 that price would be less than I feared.

Ron

hotbath1962
18th October 2016, 05:45 PM
Remember the pound is plummeting so all kit will cost more soon. I've just had a work computer purchase blocked as Lenovo has put the price up due to the fall in Sterling.

raichea
24th October 2016, 11:20 PM
I wish Olympus would come out with an availability/price statement... I'm beginning to feel slightly irritated. Why announce the product and then go silent on it? I know Photokina is a big event and they wanted to announce there, but it feels to me that they really weren't quite ready.

Phew! Glad I got that off my chest... still think it promises to be a great camera.

Bruce Clarke
24th October 2016, 11:44 PM
In the current climate, I can understand they want to leave the announcement as late as possible. They need to make a good return on them, but too high, and many enthusiasts will pass. I suspect they'll sell quite a lot to pros regardless with its emphasis on speed.

Ross the fiddler
25th October 2016, 02:07 AM
The current UK price of the X-T2 seems to be around £1400 in most stores. If the E-M1 Mark II is to be priced similarly to the X-T2 that price would be less than I feared.

Ron

The RRP for the X-T2 'downunder' is AU$2299 with one retailer selling it on sale for $2049 (http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/fujifilm-x-t2-mirrorless-digital-camera-body-only), so I can see the E-M1 Mk II starting at a release price of (AU)$2300 - $2500 (with Olympus management saying the Mk II will be slightly more than the E-M1). The E-M1 was released at AU$1599 when our dollar was around parity (could have been higher) with the US$ & that equates to AU$2100 now (similar to what the E5 was), so I know we won't be getting any cheap bargains at that rate (AU$1.00 = US$0.76). :(

Phill D
25th October 2016, 07:20 AM
It certainly sounds like it's going to be too steep for me to go for unless they do a stunning part ex deal for EM1s. That's a big hint for Olympus if anyone reads these posts.

iso
25th October 2016, 04:42 PM
Maybe like several other manufacturers, they have announced something that actually is not completely ready?

Wee man
25th October 2016, 05:24 PM
Practical Photography have a price listed for EM1 Mk 2 as £1199.
I have checked with Olympus and it is a misprint, price still not announced!

Wee Man

Olybirder
31st October 2016, 11:11 PM
According to this site (http://thenewcamera.com/olympus-e-m1-mark-ii-price-leaked/) the price has been leaked and looks rather eye-watering. I don't know whether it is correct or not.

Ron

pdk42
31st October 2016, 11:28 PM
According to this site (http://thenewcamera.com/olympus-e-m1-mark-ii-price-leaked/) the price has been leaked and looks rather eye-watering. I don't know whether it is correct or not.

Ron

Yea - I saw that too. It looks like the US price will be about $2000. If Oly follow Apple's lead with the Macbook Pro then we're probably looking at almost the same in £. At that price it'll have to deliver significantly better IQ before I even consider it. Crazy money (but perhaps the harbinger of Brexit Britain?).

bilbo
1st November 2016, 12:27 AM
What's a waterproof protector?

At $1400, it must be something more than a plastic bag... :eek:

Wee man
1st November 2016, 08:22 AM
At these suggested priced I am out it makes the X-T2 look interesting, but would mean a big change lenses and bodies to sell up.

Wee Man

bilbo
1st November 2016, 08:34 AM
At these suggested priced I am out it makes the X-T2 look interesting, but would mean a big change lenses and bodies to sell up.

Wee ManMe too. Shame because I've been using top line Olympus kit since the 70's. The Fuji is far better positioned.

drmarkf
1st November 2016, 08:34 AM
What's a waterproof protector?

At $1400, it must be something more than a plastic bag... :eek:

:-) Its the underwater housing that has suffered from that website not spending enough on their translation services!

Phill D
1st November 2016, 08:39 AM
Hmm. The EM1 was the first thing I've ever bought as soon as it was announced. The delivery wait was painful as many will testify to but since it's arrival it's been superb and not missed a beat. Initial concerns about how much it cost all long gone. However, would I do it again or revert back to my usual stance of waiting until items have been out for a while and prices have started to drop? If the prices are as high as the rumours then like Ed I'm out and likely to wait quite a while before upgrading, even though Olympus have added the one thing I wanted them to in a new model (cross type af sensors).

bilbo
1st November 2016, 09:54 AM
:-) Its the underwater housing that has suffered from that website not spending enough on their translation services!

Thanks Mark. :D

Bruce Clarke
1st November 2016, 01:18 PM
Hmm. The EM1 was the first thing I've ever bought as soon as it was announced. The delivery wait was painful as many will testify to but since it's arrival it's been superb and not missed a beat. Initial concerns about how much it cost all long gone. However, would I do it again or revert back to my usual stance of waiting until items have been out for a while and prices have started to drop? If the prices are as high as the rumours then like Ed I'm out and likely to wait quite a while before upgrading, even though Olympus have added the one thing I wanted them to in a new model (cross type af sensors).

Pretty much exactly my position too Phill. The Mk I still does most of what I need very well, so the need to upgrade is less than when the E-M1 first appeared. It was a pretty big improvement over the E-M5. The E-M1 II is obviously a big jump over the E-M1 I, but mostly focusing on speed which is not my priority. Better PDAF accuracy and the high-res mode would be nice though.

pdk42
1st November 2016, 04:32 PM
... and the high-res mode would be nice though.

I've picked up a nice used E-M5ii to sample Hi-Res mode before making any decisions about the E-M1ii. It's been a slight disappointment to me actually. Not a complete fail, but definitely not the must-have feature I thought it might be. See my other post on this here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost.php?p=397010&postcount=17

ashtonsd
2nd November 2016, 05:30 AM
So, WEX UK pre-orders are up.
£1849.00 body only
£2399.00 with 12-40 Pro lens

Ross the fiddler
2nd November 2016, 05:39 AM
So, WEX UK pre-orders are up.
£1849.00 body only
£2399.00 with 12-40 Pro lens

Yeah, & the painful truth down under is:-
The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II will be available in black
only from December 2016.
Body Only RRP $2,799 AUD / $3,199 NZD

And the rest of the accessories.
Optional Accessories Summary
Product Name RRP Launch Date
Power Battery Holder, HLD-9 $399AUD $499NZD December
Grip Strap, GS-5 $49AUD $69NZD Currently available
Electronic Flash, FL-900R $899AUD $1099NZD December
Macro Flash, STF-8 $699AUD $899NZD December
Release Cable, RM-CB2 $79AUD $99NZD December
Underwater Case, PT-EP14 $2,299AUD $2,699NZD December
Macro Lens Port, PPO-EP03 $899AUD $1099NZD December
Diffuser, PPODP-EP03 $109AUD $129NZD December
Camera Backpack, CBG-12 $499AUD $599NZD December
Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery, BLH-1 $99AUD $119NZD December
Lithium Ion Battery Charger, BCH-1 $99AUD $119NZD December
AC Adapter, AC-5 $189AUD $229NZD December
Cable Clip, CC-1 $15AUD $19NZD December
Large Eye Cup, EP-13 $25AUD $29NZD Currently available
Specifications are subject to change without notice.

rawclicks
2nd November 2016, 05:54 AM
Hi All

OMD-EM1 Mark II available to Pre Order £1849 :(

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/cameras/compact-system-cameras/olympus-csc-cameras/olympus-e-m1-mark-ii-digital-camera-body.html

Cheers
Rahul

Mdb2
2nd November 2016, 08:24 AM
Hi All

OMD-EM1 Mark II available to Pre Order £1849 :(

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/cameras/compact-system-cameras/olympus-csc-cameras/olympus-e-m1-mark-ii-digital-camera-body.html

Cheers
Rahul

PARK CAMERAS. have it as well, same price 12 months interest free and free card
That's a bit to expensive I will wait for results and a price drop
Kind regards mike

pdk42
2nd November 2016, 08:29 AM
Yikes - eye-watering. Never mind shutter shock - this is sticker shock!!

Mdb2
2nd November 2016, 08:33 AM
Yikes - eye-watering. Never mind shutter shock - this is sticker shock!!

I think it's more than anyone thought it would be? Very disappointing.
Kind regards mike

Phill D
2nd November 2016, 08:37 AM
Well at that price at least there wont be any delivery problems for me this time :(

catkins
2nd November 2016, 08:38 AM
It'll be quite a significant hit pricewise £1850 by the time you add in the battery grip £280 (essential if using bigger lenses), 3 extra batteries at £75 each & assuming that one battery comes with the new body! Total: £2355
Add to this any Olympus Service Pro plan that you wish - I'm not sure what these costs are yet.
That's probably about a quarter more than I expected or hoped to pay!
Only 'interesting' option is to trade in your E-M1 body for £400 ... oh, but that's based on your E-M1 in new condition, so that's definitely kept as second body instead.
So interesting to see Olympus's pricing for the new camera ... if you wait, eventually the price will reach perhaps the price it should have been, but by then perhaps Brexit and US elections will affect the U.K. £ even more
And all of this because I want or need better AF reliability! Maybe I'll just keep on perfecting my manual focus technique ... which to some is called 'the out of focus technique'!
Cheers
Chris

MargaretR
2nd November 2016, 08:38 AM
Well, I *was* interested. But not at that price.

Guess I'm waiting for price drop in advance of the mk III ..... :D

Mdb2
2nd November 2016, 08:47 AM
Yeah, & the painful truth down under is:-

And the rest of the accessories.

HI Ross, not sure if I got it right but I believe Australia conversion to GBP works out a hundred pounds dearer for us or cheaper for you? By about 150 AUD
Kind regards Mike

Ross the fiddler
2nd November 2016, 08:56 AM
HI Ross, not sure if I got it right but I believe Australia conversion to GBP works out a hundred pounds dearer for us or cheaper for you? By about 150 AUD
Kind regards Mike

Back in 2014 when I bought my E-M1 our dollar was on a high & we were spoilt. All I can say, I am really pleased I bought it then. Time will tell, but if reviews & feedback from users are convincing then I might see if it is possible in the future, but that remains to be seen. :rolleyes:

drmarkf
2nd November 2016, 09:34 AM
That is too much for me at the moment: currently it does look expensive against for example the XT2, although it remains to be seen what happens to the street price of both after the Brexit effect ("sovereigns for sovereignty"?) works its way through all the supply chains.

MargaretR
2nd November 2016, 09:46 AM
Another small niggle - from various reviews, you'd need a new cable release as well ... the slot has changed. The cost of batteries/accessories all adds up.

Oh well. I didn't really NEED one. :(

Grumpy Hec
2nd November 2016, 10:13 AM
Sadly this almost certainly puts this out of my price range when you add in spare batteries, new remote and probably the grip. I'm pretty disappointed in this as the spec contains a large number of the improvements I wanted.

In truth I'm not surprised however as with the falling value of the pound, thanks to Brexiteers for that, and earthquakes etc. it is largely predictable.

I was going to a day at Colchester LCE next week at which I was hoping to see one and maybe per-order. I probably won't bother now.

Hec

Ross the fiddler
2nd November 2016, 10:17 AM
Another small niggle - from various reviews, you'd need a new cable release as well ... the slot has changed. The cost of batteries/accessories all adds up.

Oh well. I didn't really NEED one. :(

Yes, the full (Australian) price for the body, grip, extra battery & remote cable (not to mention a UHS-II SD card) would be;
E-M1 Mk II____________________________$2,799
HLD-9 _________________________________$399
Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery, BLH-1______$99
Release Cable, RM-CB2 ____________________$79
Total _____________________________$3376

There would need to be a decent price drop (street price will be less to start with), a bonus grip or equivalent cashback & maybe I might consider saving for it. :rolleyes:

raichea
2nd November 2016, 11:24 AM
Price is certainly a bit steeper than hoped for... and no attempt to sweeten the deal with a grip/battery etc. for early adopters. I guess they're estimating enough people are waiting to buy this camera that the high price will hold at least in the short term.

I may yet jump, but the price has certainly caused me to consider delaying any purchase to wait and see if any deals emerge over the next few months.

If the general response here is anything to go by, Olympus may have miscalculated.

Wee man
2nd November 2016, 11:47 AM
Yes I have contacted SRS and had my name taken off the pre order list, too much Olympus! Now thinking Fuji.

Bruce Clarke
2nd November 2016, 01:13 PM
I think they've largely killed the enthusiast market for it at that price which is a shame, but unless you need the speed, its features are partially wasted for many. Looks like they are aiming it squarely as a pro speed machine, where it may do relatively well, but numbers will be down overall. I suppose it shows the maturity of the system when there are bodies more capable and expensive than you need.

I'll probably wait to see what filters down to the E-M5 III, which will probably be a better fit for my landscape and architecture needs.

raichea
2nd November 2016, 01:14 PM
I'm not keen on the promotional "experience day" either. There are obviously relatively few places so there will be plenty (assuming sales are reasonably good) of disappointed purchasers. Obviously cheaper to Olympus than bundling a grip/battery etc. but possibly another source of discontent?

Greytop
2nd November 2016, 01:26 PM
Yes it's bit too rich for me, I was probably going to wait a while before ordering anyhow but it seems that wait may be a good while longer.
I think too think Olympus need to take a look at the XT-2 pricing.

TonyR
2nd November 2016, 01:33 PM
I haven't seen many people who are still saying "great, I'm going to buy it". But there are many who aren't, including me (at this point anyway).

Ross the fiddler
2nd November 2016, 01:44 PM
Price is certainly a bit steeper than hoped for... and no attempt to sweeten the deal with a grip/battery etc. for early adopters. I guess they're estimating enough people are waiting to buy this camera that the high price will hold at least in the short term.

I may yet jump, but the price has certainly caused me to consider delaying any purchase to wait and see if any deals emerge over the next few months.

If the general response here is anything to go by, Olympus may have miscalculated.

The price is the announcement, but the sweet bonus deals aren't normally shown until much closer to them being available, so they may well have the grip etc.

AMc
2nd November 2016, 01:45 PM
Can't say I'm surprised given the kicking the £ has had from £1=188 Yen to £1=127 Yen in 12 months.
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=GBP&To=JPY

Ross the fiddler
2nd November 2016, 01:50 PM
Can't say I'm surprised given the kicking the £ has had from £1=188 Yen to £1=127 Yen in 12 months.
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=GBP&To=JPY

You can blame a fallen £ but the Yen has risen too, has it not?

AMc
2nd November 2016, 02:10 PM
Agreed, the Yen has risen too - double whammy
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=JPY&To=USD

raichea
2nd November 2016, 03:22 PM
The price is the announcement, but the sweet bonus deals aren't normally shown until much closer to them being available, so they may well have the grip etc.
I hope you're right... it could make the difference for me.

carbonbianchi
2nd November 2016, 05:18 PM
Fuji must be rubbing their hands in glee at that price. I'm certainly now looking at the XT2 now or possibly the Pen F.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

raichea
2nd November 2016, 05:39 PM
First impressions from Amateur Photographer: http://bit.ly/2fbL3ul

Gwyver
2nd November 2016, 06:23 PM
First impressions from Amateur Photographer: http://bit.ly/2fbL3ul

Accoding to this review: "The auto ISO program has been notably improved, allowing exposure compensation to be applied when shooting in manual-exposure mode."
If correct, this is good to know - some of us have been asking for this for ages. Still, getting this facility is mighty expensive!

Maranatha
2nd November 2016, 07:19 PM
Wow srsmicrosystems £1849 way out of my league was hoping for less around the XT2 price £1400 we can always hope for a price drop 😬

iso
2nd November 2016, 07:36 PM
It’s never easy to work out where any camera manufacturer is coming from, price wise, but look at say car manufacturers, and maybe you get to see how ‘Branding’ influences what they do. (In both cases, Sod The Consumer). In an earlier Forum Thread I predicted the price of a M1 Mkii to be £1600. Allow £ decline since then, and I guess I am about right, compared with other optimistic forecasts.
Crazy Dave got it in a nutshell. No it won’t be the first choice of ‘Pro’s’, but over time for those migrating from DLSR’s, it could well be an ‘Aspirational Item’. Just like all those Canikon carriers years ago, when carrying the camera strap made them feel good. (Bit like golfers I assume).
Good luck to Olympus. We have to hope their strategy succeeds, otherwise …..

OM USer
3rd November 2016, 12:56 PM
I've just had an email in from Olympus announcing a bunch of hands on with the new camera in various stores in and around the country. Why is there no similar event at the Design Space (Shad Thames) like we had for the PEN-F? That was a good event and enabled a number of people from this forum to meet up?

mm500
3rd November 2016, 01:47 PM
Price is eye-watering but hardly unexpected given the shirt-button equivalent value of the £ at present.

However give it a few months and a recovery in £ value. How about that for optimism....

There have already been a few X-T2s going on Ebay though I have to admit it's a tempting looking camera and the retro styling is almost as attractive as Olympus. Dial controls look great.

I tried to "go back" to DLSRs after Micro 4/3rds and Sony A7/A6000 and it's impossible. Those DSLRs are so unnecessarily heavy and large now.

Mal.

Goon525
4th November 2016, 10:36 AM
It might be worth pointing out that the UK price doesn't seem to be high because of the fall in Sterling's value. The price for this product is higher than expected everywhere. If anything, Oly are being quite fair to UK buyers, as the US price of $2000 excludes sales tax, whereas our £1849 includes 20% VAT. At current exchange rate, I think we might have the better deal.

raichea
8th November 2016, 04:05 PM
For some reason, the E-M1 MkII is not listed in the Olympus online shop - I wonder why that is? I bought my E-M1 from there (and the bundled grip and MMF-3 were advertised from the off). I'm tempted to pre-order, but at the current price, I'd hate to miss any deals that might appear.

Maybe there won't be any deals in the short-term... anyone who pre-ordered would be pretty ticked off if they didn't get the deal, so not a good move. Hmm nearly talking myself into pre-ordering!

Olybirder
8th November 2016, 04:20 PM
For some reason, the E-M1 MkII is not listed in the Olympus online shop - I wonder why that is?

Here it is:

https://shop.olympus.eu/UK-en/om-d/olympus/e-m1-mark-ii-p-2618.htm

Ron

Goon525
8th November 2016, 04:23 PM
Just had an extended play with both the new camera and the 12-100 at LCE Guildford. It's very clear that there won't be any more package deals until well after the launch. But both these items are very enticing!

raichea
8th November 2016, 04:42 PM
Here it is:

https://shop.olympus.eu/UK-en/om-d/olympus/e-m1-mark-ii-p-2618.htm

Ron

Doh... I was so focused on looking for the MkII in the menu, I didn't even notice it in the banner... odd that it's not in the menu, though.

Thanks.

raichea
8th November 2016, 05:43 PM
I might have missed them as well, but I don't see the 12-100mm and accessories such as the battery grip and spare battery on there.

yorky
8th November 2016, 07:47 PM
Just noticed that the new Leica TL will be shipping at 1600 eu ?.

pdk42
8th November 2016, 10:15 PM
Just noticed that the new Leica TL will be shipping at 1600 eu ?.

Yes, but it's junk. No EVF, slow, old 16Mp sensor, poor ergonomics. The worst Leica camera by a mile.

E-M1ii is miles ahead of it.

Grumpy Hec
9th November 2016, 08:05 AM
Had a look at the Mk11 in LCE Colchester on Monday and a chat with Chris from Olympus. Here are my impressions.

> The handling is a big step forward with some thoughtful stuff. It's a little bigger and heavier and the balance is excellent even with the 40-150 on.
> The menu is very different but first impressions are that it is more logical
> The new shutter sounds dreamy and oozes quality
> AF is stunningly fast and precise. I focused on a dark and murky low contrast corner of the shop behind the counter no problem and virtually instantaneously. The cluster options are superb so those who do BiF will be very well catered for I suspect but even those of us who do more static work will benefit from the ease and precision.
> Couldn't judge image quality well but a test shot at ISO6400, top of the non extended range I think, looked much better that Mk1
> The flip out screen is much like the E3 which I loved. They have even put a decent size indent in the body so those of us with larger hands can easily get the screen out.
> Loads of little things are better. E.g you no longer have to move the screen out to open the covers for the connectors which always irritated me.
> Proper battery state indicator at last. Plus of course extended battery life from the new batts even if we have to invest in spare batteries at £75 a pop.
> The camera has a real quality feel about it even more than the MK1 which is good anyway
> Bonkers speed. That new shutter sounds like a machine gun with a silencer on it.

Overall my take is that it is really a new camera underneath in a very well tweaked familiar package. A real step forward.

Given the massive price rises for Sony and the imminent rises for Fuji, Canon and Nikon, thanks to Brexit and the subsequent sterling fall, I suspect that the price is not as high as certainly my initial reaction and may not be able to go down next year as hoped. The impression I got from Chris is that Olympus have pitched the price to enable them to keep it constant for a while rather than have to hike up in the new FY. On that basis I have concluded that if I don't upgrade now I may well not be able to and that changing brands is unaffordable with the price rises. In reality a brand change is expensive anyway, I would struggle to equal the Pro glass I have and I don't want to as Oly kit works for me.

So my pre-order is in with the excellent LCE Colchester in spite of my initial reaction on price. I have my next and almost certainly last safari in Sept 2017 and this camera will be superb for that but outside of that specific it is a very worthwhile upgrade for me.

A mention for LCE in Colchester. What a pleasure it is to use your local shop if you are lucky enough to still have one. I spent a hour or more in there chatting to Dave and the team and playing with the new camera. Drank their coffee and they even did a sensor clean for me as they didn't have any kits for sale. I know I had just spent £2K but that sort of personal service is worth supporting.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL CAMERA SHOP.

Hec

Wee man
9th November 2016, 10:31 AM
Now I am a grumpy Wee man! Thanks Hec.
I had myself just about talked out of an upgrade even withdrew from pre order.
Now I will go to Conns and have a fondle and probably change mind.

Wee Man

Grumpy Hec
9th November 2016, 11:15 AM
Now I am a grumpy Wee man! Thanks Hec.
I had myself just about talked out of an upgrade even withdrew from pre order.
Now I will go to Conns and have a fondle and probably change mind.

Wee Man

I'm not a betting man but even I would risk a fiver that you will weaken.

Wee man
10th November 2016, 09:31 AM
If you are opening a book tell me the odds and I will place enough to win £1905! And you can have your £5!!!!

Wee Man

yorky
10th November 2016, 11:43 AM
Has anyone any experience of the PEN F !
I have been looking through the specifications of both. For my limited use, I feel the new OM-D-E-Mark 11 is over specified and rather more expensive than I feel I could justify.
having looked carefully at the spec of the PEN F and the price I think it would more than cope with my use. I have the EP 5 and have been using it quite a bit for pictures of fungi etc. Its so much lighter and mounted on a small tripod it it does very well with the four thirds 35mm macro lens and adaptor.

joglos
10th November 2016, 12:13 PM
Grumpy Hec You have covered all the points for current m4/3 users, can i add my little bit for those of us still using 4/3. I had not jumped to the mk1 as my love is B.I.F especially birds of prey, i spoke with David at last weeks Clifton camera event and expressed my disappointment at the price and he explained the reasoning, but handling the camera was a real eye opener :) . Knowing i was going to yesterdays Go wild event i said that would make my mind up so i took my 50-200 swd. In the morning i used the mk2 with the 40-150 which was stunningly fast focussing, then for the afternoon attached my 50-200 swd, wow is all i can say the focussing was far better than i expected so fast no hunting. So as soon as funds permit i will be ordering.

ayewing
10th November 2016, 12:31 PM
Yorky, I have a Pen-F and I am very happy with it though I have pre-ordered the new E-M1 mark2 to use with my 300mm f4 Pro lens. The Pen F is best for smaller lenses so assuming that you do not want to use it for wildlife and sports with a large tele lens it should match your requirements very well. It has a 20Mpx sensor and can do high res shots if used with a tripod. It does not have 4K video but as I do not do video other than the odd clip of the grandchildrens' antics this does not bother me.
It is a very nice looking camera and I find it wery enjoyable in use. I like the dedicated EV compensation dial. I do not use the many special effects provided by the front dial much with the exception of the very useful monochrome settings which allow different degrees of contrast and grain size - better than anything I can produce in RAW conversion. The Pen-F is a bit pricey and most of its innards are much the same as the E-M5 v2 which is cheaper. I think the extra cost is justified.

sdb123
10th November 2016, 12:57 PM
Keep an eye out on Amazon for daily deals - a couple of weeks back they had the Pen-F w/ 17mm f/1.8 lens for £750.

drmarkf
10th November 2016, 02:03 PM
... but handling the camera was a real eye opener :) . Knowing i was going to yesterdays Go wild event i said that would make my mind up so i took my 50-200 swd. In the morning i used the mk2 with the 40-150 which was stunningly fast focussing, then for the afternoon attached my 50-200 swd, wow is all i can say the focussing was far better than i expected so fast no hunting. So as soon as funds permit i will be ordering.

Good to hear!

It's very helpful to hear first-hand reports from experienced bird photographers.

Grumpy Hec
10th November 2016, 02:03 PM
If you are opening a book tell me the odds and I will place enough to win £1905! And you can have your £5!!!!

Wee Man

Ever the chancer I see Ed:D

Grumpy Hec
10th November 2016, 02:06 PM
Grumpy Hec You have covered all the points for current m4/3 users, can i add my little bit for those of us still using 4/3. I had not jumped to the mk1 as my love is B.I.F especially birds of prey, i spoke with David at last weeks Clifton camera event and expressed my disappointment at the price and he explained the reasoning, but handling the camera was a real eye opener :) . Knowing i was going to yesterdays Go wild event i said that would make my mind up so i took my 50-200 swd. In the morning i used the mk2 with the 40-150 which was stunningly fast focussing, then for the afternoon attached my 50-200 swd, wow is all i can say the focussing was far better than i expected so fast no hunting. So as soon as funds permit i will be ordering.

Interesting and slightly reassuring that your impressions were similar to mine. Especially as you are coming at it from a different viewpoint in terms of the genre you shoot.

Bruce Clarke
10th November 2016, 05:07 PM
Has anyone any experience of the PEN F !
I have been looking through the specifications of both. For my limited use, I feel the new OM-D-E-Mark 11 is over specified and rather more expensive than I feel I could justify.
having looked carefully at the spec of the PEN F and the price I think it would more than cope with my use. I have the EP 5 and have been using it quite a bit for pictures of fungi etc. Its so much lighter and mounted on a small tripod it it does very well with the four thirds 35mm macro lens and adaptor.

Have a look at the E-M5 II which is what the Pen-F guts are based on, apart from the 20MP sensor. The E-M5 II has weather sealing. The Pen-F has style and knobs! It's really aimed at JPG shooters. I don't have either, but trying both briefly, I found the front dials on both rather light and too easy to turn accidentally compared to the E-M1. I may well hang on for the E-M5 III, but that could be a while.

Shaw
10th November 2016, 05:51 PM
Keep an eye out on Amazon for daily deals - a couple of weeks back they had the Pen-F w/ 17mm f/1.8 lens for £750.

I got one through that deal two weeks ago, and it sold out in six minutes. I have hardly had a chance to play with it yet, but I did find it a bit awkward on larger lenses, so, today, I took delivery of the ECG-4 grip, which makes it much better to hold. Overall it is a very nice camera, and will probably take over from my GX8 as a back-up.

damianmkv
12th November 2016, 08:51 AM
I see that Jessops are offering £470 trade-in for the mk1( based on it being in excellent condition ) so that would bring the mk2 down to £1379...

Graham from Wirral
12th November 2016, 12:20 PM
In the latest edition of Outdoor Photography, in its Photokina Camera Round-up, it's showing a guide price of £849 for the mk2 . . . I wish!!

Gwyver
12th November 2016, 04:45 PM
I see that Jessops are offering £470 trade-in for the mk1( based on it being in excellent condition ) so that would bring the mk2 down to £1379...

That's not what I was offered by Jessops in Manchester at the Olympus preview day on 8th November.

They looked up PX prices on some 3rd party web site and announced:
£350 for the E-M1 body, £323 for the 12-40 lens - notwithstanding both being in pristine condition and meeting all their own website criteria (original packaging etc.).
Then, to add insult to injury, a 2nd member of staff appeared and tried to chisel the offer price down by claiming the LCD was scratched (utter B*S* - since it had a screen protector fitted which has been on since new).

All this reinforced my long-held opinions about Jessops - so I'll stick with my usual camera supplier!

damianmkv
12th November 2016, 06:40 PM
I thought it sounded high - it's more than I paid for mine 18 months ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdb2
13th November 2016, 07:04 PM
In the latest edition of Outdoor Photography, in its Photokina Camera Round-up, it's showing a guide price of £849 for the mk2 . . . I wish!!

Hi Graham yes indeed I noticed that yesterday after it came through the letterbox " bargain "
Kind regards mike

Mdb2
13th November 2016, 07:10 PM
That's not what I was offered by Jessops in Manchester at the Olympus preview day on 8th November.

They looked up PX prices on some 3rd party web site and announced:
£350 for the E-M1 body, £323 for the 12-40 lens - notwithstanding both being in pristine condition and meeting all their own website criteria (original packaging etc.).
Then, to add insult to injury, a 2nd member of staff appeared and tried to chisel the offer price down by claiming the LCD was scratched (utter B*S* - since it had a screen protector fitted which has been on since new).

All this reinforced my long-held opinions about Jessops - so I'll stick with my usual camera supplier!

Jessops as far as I am aware do not sell used camera gear so I assume their not earning much but are passing this price on. I was offered £350 from well known site. In excellent condition. The problem is that on a trade in the store is earning quite a margin.
Kind regards Mike

sdb123
13th November 2016, 09:35 PM
Jessops as far as I am aware do not sell used camera gear so I assume their not earning much but are passing this price on.

Jessops have been running a p/x scheme for a while now...they sell their used items via Camera Jungle.

Mdb2
13th November 2016, 10:53 PM
Jessops have been running a p/x scheme for a while now...they sell their used items via Camera Jungle.

Thanks sdb123, I did wonder where they landed up!
Kind regards Mike