PDA

View Full Version : Safer Computing: 17/10/2016

Wally
17th October 2016, 02:15 PM
B U L L E T I N (ID: HKRI-AETF5H)

Pippa Middleton is the latest in a long line of celebrities to have her on-line accounts broken into by criminals, and private photographs stolen.

Have you properly secured your iCloud account?

Read more in the Graham Cluley article.

W E B L I N K S

By Graham Cluley: --> http://www.welivesecurity.com/2016/09/26/pippa-middleton-can-teach-us-icloud-security/

Otto
17th October 2016, 04:45 PM
My Apple account was accessed by an unknown computer last week. It took me hours of fiddling about just to change the flipping password, and then they wouldn't let me add two-stage verification for another three days. That also took ages and involved a chat with Apple Support who to be fair were pretty efficient but the whole business was very tedious. Now I have to have the phone handy when I log-in even from a computer so they can send me an authorisation code. Life was so much simpler before we got computers :rolleyes:. I don't even use iCloud because I'm wary of the security of cloud services in general!

Ross the fiddler
17th October 2016, 09:57 PM
B U L L E T I N (ID: HKRI-AETF5H)

Pippa Middleton is the latest in a long line of celebrities to have her on-line accounts broken into by criminals, and private photographs stolen.

Have you properly secured your iCloud account?

Read more in the Graham Cluley article.

W E B L I N K S

By Graham Cluley: --> http://www.welivesecurity.com/2016/09/26/pippa-middleton-can-teach-us-icloud-security/

Yeah, my iCload has nothing in it! :p :D

Wally
18th October 2016, 08:12 AM
Yeah, my iCloud has nothing in it! :p :D

Probably the best all-round approach.:tup

Commence whinge... something us Poms are good at. *yes

Some months back I cleared the only iCloud account - AFAIK - due to being ripped off as well as demanding personal and bank details for supposedly free items.

The only iCloud account I've ever opened was for Flixster. I bought DVD/Bluray films which have the UV digital download which can be used via Flixster which, originally posed no problems as the Flixster App was a direct download from their site.

Now that certain other control freak companies are involved via Android. Itunes, Amazon and now M$, you ‘need to provide’ bank details to download 'FREE' Apps.

So, now I can't download paid for films unless I part with sensitive info and, in addition, I now find some of the original Flixster uses have been stopped. No direct download access to the micro SD cards, downloads restricted to under 2Gb which, basically prevents the purposes for which I bought into the system to use. With 8, 16 or 32Gb internal memory, two to three films leave very little room to work with which defeats the objective of what was available in the ‘original’ application.

So, in essence, a freely available App has been taken over, FUBAR’ed big time and for many, doesn't provide the access most of us originally signed up for and, just to rub our noses in it, you have to provide personal and bank details to use a crippled service.

Oh, yes, before I forget. Not all UV Digital Downloads are equal. Some film company’s don’t adhere to the Flixster App protocols and require a different way to provide what has proved to be extremely limited access.

End of whinge. ;)

Ross the fiddler
18th October 2016, 09:36 AM
I'd whinge at that & I'm an Aussie! Well maybe I've inherited the 'whinge' gene from my father too. ;) :D

*chr