PDA

View Full Version : My phone has gone marshmallow!

Ross the fiddler
15th October 2016, 07:10 AM
Yes, I was offered an update, from Lollipop to Marshmallow. *yes

Crazy names for Android 5 & 6! :rolleyes: *shrug But considering......

http://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/funny-reaction-to-samsung-galaxy-note-82.jpg
http://www.boredpanda.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7-exploding-funny-reactions/

....... I think Samsung has done well to bring me this update for my Galaxy A3. :tup

So I let it download & once it had, it got busy.

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/OA140980-s.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/30607)

And.....

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/OA140983-s.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/30608)

Thanks for humouring me & looking. :D

*chr

Wally
15th October 2016, 07:24 AM
Lucky you. *yes My phone turned to Mush.

My 'Cubot' Chinese version of a 'Smart Phone' went belly up and completey lost the OS. I eventually managed to find and download an OS and so far, fingers X'd it is still working.

*shrug I suppose the bottom line is that one gets what one pays for... in my case, a few pennies when compared to some other makes.

David M
15th October 2016, 08:16 AM
This phone has been a marshmallow for months, the tablet for weeks. Nougat is out now, I heard a rumour that next is Orange Marmalade, to be abbreviated as OM. :D

So it will be overly complicated, bloated and gimmick laden if it follows current trends. :D

pandora
15th October 2016, 10:31 AM
If Sam offered me a refund for my Galaxy6 I'd accept and go iPhone - except for the Galaxy's camera Samsung is over featured, unstable crap.

Ian
15th October 2016, 04:45 PM
My Galaxy Note 4 is by far the best phone I have ever owned. The S-Pen, S-View case and its overall performance are genius, I bought mine used for £200 and have since added a wireless charging plate. This works very well and doesn't prevent NFC from working so I can continue using contactless Android Pay for my shopping. The Super Amoled screen is fantastic and while it has 32GB onboard you can add up to 128GB via microSD card (I have 64GB card in mine). It's also QuickCharge 2.0 compatible so it charges very fast with the right cable and charger and I have now installed a QuickCharge 12V/USB adapter in the car so my phone actually charges while driving and using satnav instead of the battery draining steadily as it did before.

And it doesn't catch fire (the battery is user-replaceablle too). Mine's had Marshmallow for months and Samsung has said the Note 4 will be getting Nougat eventually.

iPhones? Over-priced, ageing OS, updates can be buggy, no S-Pen, Amoled screens are better, no expandable memory, no wireless charging, etc., etc.!

OM USer
15th October 2016, 05:49 PM
I've kept my Sony phone on Kit Kat and refused the upgrade to Lollipop. If it ain't broke...

Ian
15th October 2016, 08:17 PM
I've kept my Sony phone on Kit Kat and refused the upgrade to Lollipop. If it ain't broke...

KitKat wasn't very good and Lollipop fixed problems with KitKat...

Ian

Jim Ford
15th October 2016, 08:31 PM

Lolipop's a huge improvement over KitKat.

Jim

Ross the fiddler
16th October 2016, 03:38 AM
Lucky you. *yes My phone turned to Mush.

My 'Cubot' Chinese version of a 'Smart Phone' went belly up and completey lost the OS. I eventually managed to find and download an OS and so far, fingers X'd it is still working.

*shrug I suppose the bottom line is that one gets what one pays for... in my case, a few pennies when compared to some other makes.

Unfortunately, you do get what you pay for. My first cheap tablet was a Thompson (I think that was the spelling) & it died. That's when I was given an ipad from the family for a significant birthday.

This phone has been a marshmallow for months, the tablet for weeks. Nougat is out now, I heard a rumour that next is Orange Marmalade, to be abbreviated as OM. :D

I was only offered Marshmallow for my A3 just now, but of course it comes with all the Samsung 'add-ons' too.

So it will be overly complicated, bloated and gimmick laden if it follows current trends. :D

Just like some users? ;) :D

My Galaxy Note 4 is by far the best phone I have ever owned. The S-Pen, S-View case and its overall performance are genius, I bought mine used for £200 and have since added a wireless charging plate. This works very well and doesn't prevent NFC from working so I can continue using contactless Android Pay for my shopping. The Super Amoled screen is fantastic and while it has 32GB onboard you can add up to 128GB via microSD card (I have 64GB card in mine). It's also QuickCharge 2.0 compatible so it charges very fast with the right cable and charger and I have now installed a QuickCharge 12V/USB adapter in the car so my phone actually charges while driving and using satnav instead of the battery draining steadily as it did before.

And it doesn't catch fire (the battery is user-replaceablle too). Mine's had Marshmallow for months and Samsung has said the Note 4 will be getting Nougat eventually.

iPhones? Over-priced, ageing OS, updates can be buggy, no S-Pen, Amoled screens are better, no expandable memory, no wireless charging, etc., etc.!

It's good to hear those positive comments. *yes
I've had my Galaxy A3 smartphone for about 15 months now & glad I did. It unfortunately does not have a user replaceable battery, but that doesn't mean this user won't do the replacement changeover. One guitar pick & jeweller's Phillips screw driver (& instructions in the back of the manual) will get me into it; the guitar pick to lift the screen out & the screw driver to lift the pc board on top of the battery. The A3 was a more affordable phone & on sale at the time, plus it had an FM radio tuner in it too, which I was keen to have included, plus the cameras were reasonable too. It takes a maximum of 64GB Micro SD card which I have in.

Ross the fiddler
16th October 2016, 03:42 AM

Ian

Lolipop's a huge improvement over KitKat.

Jim

The A3 came with KitKat which got updated to Lollipop, so I am glad they are still updating the phone.

David M
16th October 2016, 10:38 AM
Ross, this Motorola phone has been a marshmallow for about 8 months. The Samsung tablet has been a marshmallow for about 6 weeks with an update a week or so ago. I do miss some of the Samsung apps on the phone.

Ross the fiddler
16th October 2016, 12:05 PM
Ross, this Motorola phone has been a marshmallow for about 8 months. The Samsung tablet has been a marshmallow for about 6 weeks with an update a week or so ago. I do miss some of the Samsung apps on the phone.

That's interesting. I guess I haven't really got into the extra Samsung apps per sť. I'm not interested in having any cloud usage etc & since I work from home I only use the home WiFi (or at other venues that have it if it becomes necessary). Since using the smart phone I have had better contact with my daughter, when she travels, through Messenger than the unreliable TXT messaging. She would generally use WiFi at the airport or places of accommodation etc & get messages to me from there & I would get the alert at home. I love it! I have LiveTraffic, Weather, Fire & Google Maps etc to have at my finger tips, with LiveTraffic (https://www.livetraffic.com/desktop.html) the most useful to check on before I or other family members travel as it is immediately responsive, unlike the time it takes to get up the screen on the pc (my daughter has data with her phone plan & has that available wherever she goes, of course).

*chr

David M
16th October 2016, 12:11 PM
I use the Memo app on the tablet a lot. I also prefer the Samsung Music app to the Google app.

Naughty Nigel
16th October 2016, 09:51 PM
I have a pair of Sony Z3 compact phones, which are running Android 6.0.1,( whatever that is).

One is my personal phone (Vodafone) the other (on O2) is for work.

The Sony is a brilliant phone with a good camera, and is waterproof, but Sony's version of Android seems to come with a lot of crapware that I can do without.

Battery life on the O2 phone is excellent, to the point that I only need to charge it twice a week at most, but battery life on the Vodafone handset is poor, often lasting only 36 hours even if the phone isn't used. On other occasions it will last for nearly a week!

Looking at the battery usage statistics 'Messaging Services' seems to account for 40 - 50% of the battery drain, but this service rarely shows up on the O2 phone.

A web search suggests that this has been a problem for a while, since Android 4 or before, but nobody seems to know how to fix it. :rolleyes:

David M
16th October 2016, 10:16 PM
6.0.1 is Marshmallow Nigel.

My older Samsung tablet is still running Jelly Bean. The newer tablet and phone both came with Lollipop so I never used KitKat.

Ross the fiddler
16th October 2016, 10:26 PM
My Galaxy A3 has a 1900mAh battery & lately it has days where it would only last 36 hours while other times it lasts longer. It may have something to do in how many times the screen is woken, open apps & WiFi background usage etc. That's just a guess on my part though. It's connected to Vodafone too (but was bought unlocked).

Naughty Nigel
17th October 2016, 07:57 AM
My Galaxy A3 has a 1900mAh battery & lately it has days where it would only last 36 hours while other times it lasts longer. It may have something to do in how many times the screen is woken, open apps & WiFi background usage etc. That's just a guess on my part though. It's connected to Vodafone too (but was bought unlocked).

Even if the phone isn't used the battery will often die within 36 hours, but then it will sometimes last for nearly a week.

Whenever the battery runs down quickly "Messaging Service" is always top of the list of programmes in the battery drain league table, and has usually used at least twice the power of any other service on the phone. (It is currently showing 48%.)

FWIW I don't think this has anything to do with Vodafone as the Messaging Service is part of the Android OS, and is known to be problematic.

I might just try reinstalling the OS.

snaarman
17th October 2016, 08:05 AM
I'm a confirmed Nexus addict (Nexus 5X and Pixel C tablet) - plus I signed up for the beta test program, so I had Nougat on both devices two months ago :-)

Android continues to improve slowly, and I no longer have Apple envy, not really.

Pete

blu-by-u
18th October 2016, 01:05 AM
Have you noticed that with musymellow, (deliberate wrong spelling) Extra microSD memory is for Data only. With Kitkat, some of the apps can reside in the addon memory freeing the internal for OS. So if you have a fix memory like 16Gb, you are screwed.

Naughty Nigel
18th October 2016, 07:28 AM
Have you noticed that with musymellow, (deliberate wrong spelling) Extra microSD memory is for Data only. With Kitkat, some of the apps can reside in the addon memory freeing the internal for OS. So if you have a fix memory like 16Gb, you are screwed.

I'm fairly sure I have seen an option somewhere to move apps to the SD card if needed. I don't use many additional apps so I have no need to do so.

I did hear that Marshmallow came with an option to 'merge' storage across the device's system drive and any SD card that is fitted, (rather like JBOD on a PC).

However, I have never investigated this for the reasons stated above.

Jim Ford
18th October 2016, 09:29 PM
I've got a 'Wileyfox Storm', with CyanogenMod 13 (which is Marshmallow with extra tweaks).

It's fine except for battery life, which is just a day or so. Marshmallow goes into a 'sleep mode' if it's stationary for long, but as I carry it around, if doesn't enter the mode often.

Jim

David M
18th October 2016, 09:36 PM
I'm fairly sure I have seen an option somewhere to move apps to the SD card if needed. I don't use many additional apps so I have no need to do so.

I did hear that Marshmallow came with an option to 'merge' storage across the device's system drive and any SD card that is fitted, (rather like JBOD on a PC).

However, I have never investigated this for the reasons stated above.

It's certainly an option on this Samsung tablet, most of the apps I've downloaded are on the micro SD card. IIRC the option to move an app is under storage in an apps info in Application Manager.

blu-by-u
19th October 2016, 02:15 AM
I did hear that Marshmallow came with an option to 'merge' storage across the device's system drive and any SD card that is fitted, (rather like JBOD on a PC)......
:eek: Now that's news to me. Ok..Just checked, It's there but need to format that SD for it. Let me try it and see what happens. Meanwhile, backing that SD to PC. Will report back with the results. :D Thanks

*sob My ASUS Selfie update to mushmellow did not include that. :( 30 min wasted in moving my PC and formatting my SD to find it not available *sob*sob

Jim Ford
19th October 2016, 08:25 AM
:eek: Now that's news to me. Ok..Just checked, It's there but need to format that SD for it. Let me try it and see what happens. Meanwhile, backing that SD to PC. Will report back with the results. :D Thanks

*sob My ASUS Selfie update to mushmellow did not include that. :( 30 min wasted in moving my PC and formatting my SD to find it not available *sob*sob

I found that the facility to 'integrate' an SD card with the main memory is not very convenient, and I abandoned it.

It means that you can't subsequently remove the card and store data on it via a card reader on a PC. Also (IIRC) the integration is not 'seamless' and there are restrictions.

Jim

blu-by-u
19th October 2016, 09:01 AM
Didn't think of that :eek:..So it's better to just limit the Apps and use that SD for Data and Media.