PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of two card camera

Ellie
15th January 2009, 11:07 PM
I'd never really given much thought to the benefits of having two memory cards in the camera until I got home last week from my visit to the frozen pond, and realised I hadn't taken the CF card out of the card reader and put it back in the camera.

The camera had automatically switched to using the XD card, and I hadn't even noticed.

Graham_of_Rainham
16th January 2009, 09:53 PM
I've done that as well. Fortunatly a 1GB H-type will keep up with 95% of what I want, so it's never a problem.

*chr

art frames
16th January 2009, 10:51 PM
And I have done the same Ellie. But I realised and put the CF card in and then was mystified when I tried to download the pictures and found that they weren't there (eventually finding them on the XD card).

Once the camera switches on it detects and defaults to the XD card it doesn't swap back to the CF until you tell it... It is a bit scary when you think you have lost the days pictures!

Peter

PeterD
16th January 2009, 11:01 PM
And I have done the same Ellie. But I realised and put the CF card in and then was mystified when I tried to download the pictures and found that they weren't there (eventually finding them on the XD card).

Once the camera switches on it detects and defaults to the XD card it doesn't swap back to the CF until you tell it... It is a bit scary when you think you have lost the days pictures!

Peter

I caught myself doing this many times - dashed out and left the CF Card in the computer's card reader:mad:. I now always check the camera before leaving but at least the XD card is big enough in such emergencies but it takes longer for the camera to write to the XD card.
Having to remember to switch back to CF Card when it is refitted is a bit of a pain. Be a nice touch if the camera remembers to check if the CF card is in place as one of the settings in my mode and automatically switch back to it from XD Card.

Peter

Dogcow
17th January 2009, 06:17 AM
I did not think of it much either, until I started to make 360VR panoramas (http://web.mac.com/karelgil/MacWebSite/360VR/360VR.html), now it find it very useful to save my panoshots on the XD card to separate them from my 'normal' shots.

Wreckdiver
17th January 2009, 03:32 PM
..... and realised I hadn't taken the CF card out of the card reader and put it back in the camera.

Happened to me the other week, unfortunately I didn't have a second card in the camera and had to forget about taking photos :B)

Fortunately, it was only for mug shots for our dive club membership cards.

Steve

PeterD
18th January 2009, 12:17 PM
Be a nice touch if the camera remembers to check if the CF card is in place as one of the settings in my mode and automatically switch back to it from XD Card.

Peter

Looks like Oly had already thought of this. I have recently started setting up the 'MyModes' and tested it with the CF card inserted and not. Without the CF card fitted it defaults to XD as we would expect. Switched off and inserted the CF card and on switch-on, the camera detected the presence of the CF card and switched over to it. Well done Oly*chr

Peter