PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom ND Grad presets.....

petrovich
14th January 2009, 09:28 PM
I have used this feature on a couple of landscapes with non descript skies but wondered if anybody on here had used it and compared to using Grads in the field.
I know I should aim to buy some filters as soon as possible but could delay this if the above feature does a good enough job, and put the money towards a decent tripod and head instead of the old video tripod I have at present...

Regards

brob108
14th January 2009, 09:38 PM
If you've not tried these presets from Matt Kloskowski on the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips website then I think they are worth a look at (second set down are the grads):

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/archives/presets/page/2/

I've found them to be very useful - to the point where I don't use grad filters on my camera anymore. The lightroom presets work fine for me anyway.

petrovich
14th January 2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks Brian, I do have these plus other presets of his saved but not loaded so I will have a go Friday evening after work.
If they are that good I can hold off and use the funds for the decent tripod.

Regards

Gwyver
15th January 2009, 04:57 PM
I have used this feature on a couple of landscapes with non descript skies but wondered if anybody on here had used it and compared to using Grads in the field.
I know I should aim to buy some filters as soon as possible but could delay this if the above feature does a good enough job, and put the money towards a decent tripod and head instead of the old video tripod I have at present...

Regards

I recently posted this on the US fourthirdsphoto.com forum as part of a reply concerning using the LR Grad function on irregular shapes:-

It is also worth understanding the difference between using a Graduated ND filter when taking the photo, and using the similarly named function during post-processing.

1. In the first case the lens filter reduces the dynamic range of the scene to something which is closer to the full range of the camera's sensor (i.e. it assists in avoiding blown highlights whilst giving greater shadow detail).
2. When using post-processing ND gradation functions you are merely reducing a part of the dynamic range which was previously captured by the sensor. This can be very useful, and I think this LR2 feature is great, but it's always best to capture the image as well as possible.
HTH

petrovich
15th January 2009, 07:16 PM
Cheers Chris.

I am up in Scotland at present for work but returning tomorrow. So I might not have to buy filters! interesting as it is I understand nothing software wise replaces polarisation but does someone know different?
Iam learning all the time with this which is as it should be, plus I enjoy the challenge.

Regards