PDA

View Full Version : Olympus announces “Rev up your system” promotion

Four Thirds User
13th January 2009, 11:10 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

Olympus is offering all purchasers of the award winning E-3 one of five free products.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2009/01/olympus_announces_rev_up_your_system_promotion.php )

theMusicMan
13th January 2009, 02:18 PM
Great offer and must be very tempting for those who are considering purchasing a new E-3.

I just wish organisations would consider how they treat existing long term customers and perhaps come up with offers specifically for them. Business Development is not all about attracting new customers, it also includes retaining those you have and maximising revenue from them too.

It's a shame that this policy (80/20 revenue split between existing and new customers) has not fully migrated to B2C as it has from B2B; there'd be many more satisfied customers, and thus reduced churn - if so.

yorky
13th January 2009, 02:42 PM
These sort of offers don't keep faith with existing users, I wonder if there is an E4 in the offing? I feel raher let down when I see these sort of offers.

theMusicMan
13th January 2009, 03:36 PM
These sort of offers don't keep faith with existing users, I wonder if there is an E4 in the offing? I feel raher let down when I see these sort of offers.I have to agree that I too feel somewhat let down when I see these offers. They are of course, great for new business and for those considering investing the e-system kit... but for us, the long term consistent users, they are not motivational at all.

I remain delighted with my E-3, and will be an e-system user for many years; but it would most certainly be nice if this loyalty was recognised and acknowledged.

Jim Ford
13th January 2009, 03:55 PM
These sort of offers don't keep faith with existing users, I wonder if there is an E4 in the offing? I feel raher let down when I see these sort of offers.

I feel pretty much the same!

Jim

E-P1 fan
13th January 2009, 06:16 PM
............................but surely photographic companies exist to sell cameras - not to make existing purchasers feel warm and snuggly.

Actually if we have bought an E-3 (I haven't) already as well as a couple of lenses and a flashgun - Oly won't logically have a lot of interest in us will they...
other than to sell us the E-4 the E-5 etc. For Oly read... Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Fuji et al.

Actually IMHO Olympus, via Ian and this site, has done MUCH more than the others. Even if our grips and batteries had been surplus to Oly's 2008 requirements,
overstocks or ex front-line stock - they didn't have to offer us anything - but they did.

I was totally delighted to receive mine and I appreciate the gestures very much. Also the competition prizes they have put up are the best I've seen anywhere on the web.

I certainly feel well served by Oly - and if some current sweeteners tempt other people to jump into purchasing an E-3 and join the 4/3rds fold - I'm all for it. Good job Oly! *chr

art frames
14th January 2009, 09:19 AM
This is all around good business sense for everyone. And is a good marketing case study.

Olympus need to sell cameras and there is enormous pressure on selling anything through a retail channel (as we all know) now. You are under pressure to reduce prices or offer a cash-back voucher for £xx back (they are a pain). None of us need retailers to drop our brand it will make everything else harder.

If you cut your price you can never put it back up. So Olympus avoid reducing the headline rrp price by adding in extras. The cost of extras to them does not contain the selling mark-ups. Plus it will be in the marketing budget for tax. But to the consumer they see extras of huge value at retail. This builds brand share and introduces new happy users. The market for 4/3 lenses etc gets bigger and we need that.

For current owners you don't see the retail price drop. So you don't think you lose all of your investment quite so quickly and make re-selling it impossible (this is not quite the case when they have an endless string of offers). But I hate to see the price drops after I've bought something, don't you?

When introducing new cameras, like the E30, they still have a rational pricing tree. The top model should have the highest retail rrp. Not always easy when you update the lines at different times. The arguments already on here show people are sensitive to that price.

Olympus know that even in tough times people will buy cameras if they have a reason to justify it to others and themselves. We all love an offer. We all talk about good deals.

So I think they are a doing a good job for as many people as they can. I personally want them to succeed, grow and introduce more macro kit again. Good luck in anything they can do to survive, thrive and win out.

Peter

The Saint
17th January 2009, 10:43 PM
Well from what I can see Olympus have just put the price up of the E-3. They were going for the lower £900's body only before Xmas. Now your looking at £1100 average. Guess the exchange rate has not helped and trying to offset the increase with a little offer.

Simon

Kiwi Paul
18th January 2009, 03:01 PM
You can get them for £910 delivered now.

Paul

Kiwi Paul
18th January 2009, 03:12 PM
I have seen the E30 price on a couple of sites £999.99 :eek: That makes the E3 deal even sweeter for anyone considering upgrading but waiting to see the E30 prices first. No doubt the E30 price will come down over the next few months but I was hoping it would be around £700 - £800 at realease so I'm now pondering the E3 deal, best price I have seen as of yesterday was £910 delivered.

Paul

Naughty Nigel
18th January 2009, 10:18 PM
............................but surely photographic companies exist to sell cameras - not to make existing purchasers feel warm and snuggly.

Actually if we have bought an E-3 (I haven't) already as well as a couple of lenses and a flashgun - Oly won't logically have a lot of interest in us will they...
other than to sell us the E-4 the E-5 etc. For Oly read... Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Fuji et al.

Actually IMHO Olympus, via Ian and this site, has done MUCH more than the others. Even if our grips and batteries had been surplus to Oly's 2008 requirements,
overstocks or ex front-line stock - they didn't have to offer us anything - but they did.

I was totally delighted to receive mine and I appreciate the gestures very much. Also the competition prizes they have put up are the best I've seen anywhere on the web.

I certainly feel well served by Oly - and if some current sweeteners tempt other people to jump into purchasing an E-3 and join the 4/3rds fold - I'm all for it. Good job Oly! *chr

"""" WHS """""

Businesses simply cannot afford to make long term customers feel 'warm and cosy', especially in the present economic climate. The offers that we are discussing here are simply a way of winning customers, and shifting stock in these very difficult conditions.

I bought my E1 when the body price alone was well over £1,000! I received a free grip via this forum, which I am very grateful for, but I certainly don't feel hard done by over my investment.

The fact is, all of us here need Olympus Cameras to stay in business, and these offers are simply a way of ensuring that.

However, I think Olympus has one major problem: The E1 is just so good that many owners simply don't want to part with them, and do not see the need to 'upgrade'. A quick look at the Gallery images shows exactly what I mean! :)

Zuiko
18th January 2009, 11:17 PM
I have no right to feel let down because I bought my E3 second hand! In some respects I wish I'd waited for this offer as it makes it a better bargain than the deal I did for my used body but then I wouldn't have had the pleasure of using it for the past 6 months.

It's too late for me to benefit this time around but sooner or later there will be an E4 - which I won't buy.......until, perhaps, it is given a boost with this type of promotion as it nears the end of it's shelf life with the E5 just around the corner. I've bought into the E-System for the long term so I guess it's swings and roundabouts!

However, Olympus could still boost new sales and reward existing customers with similar deals for lenses and accessories. How about buy a 14-35mm f2 and get a 50-200mm free? Or buy a 50-200mm and get a free teleconverter? The permutations are endless and would represent just as good business as selling new cameras. :)

Meanwhile, for anyone who wants an E3 now is the time.....fill your boots! :D

Naughty Nigel
19th January 2009, 10:46 AM
Meanwhile, for anyone who wants an E3 now is the time.....fill your boots! :D

I think that is true of almost any product at the moment, as businesses compete for the few pounds left in our pockets.

There is no doubt that it is a buyers market at present, but always remember, there is no sentiment in business!

E-P1 fan
19th January 2009, 12:08 PM
Interestingly the Canon G9 I got for £254 in December is now £289.69 from the same seller - Amazon *yes

Naughty Nigel
19th January 2009, 12:15 PM
Interestingly the Canon G9 I got for £254 in December is now £289.69 from the same seller - Amazon *yes

Mmmmm. That's interesting. I suspect the exchange rate may have had something to do with this. However, I also suspect that G9 prices dropped when the G10 was launched, but have increased again following dissapointing reviews (too many pixels and too much noise) of the G10.

Perhaps Canon (and others) will now get the message that adding more and more pixels is not the answer? :)

blu-by-u
19th January 2009, 02:07 PM
Too bad..you already bought into the system...and to those who have purchased extra lenses..you are in deeper.

That's what most companies think of. You have already taken the bait..Hook line and sinker. The current E-30's price is also not attractive to existing users. *zzz

Naughty Nigel
19th January 2009, 02:44 PM
Too bad..you already bought into the system...and to those who have purchased extra lenses..you are in deeper.

That's what most companies think of. You have already taken the bait..Hook line and sinker. The current E-30's price is also not attractive to existing users. *zzz

........ unless your existing camera no longer meets your requirements, in which case a new E3 or E30 will look more attractive.

Perhaps Olympus is more forward (and backward) thinking than we realise, and is already adopting the post recession attitude of 'if it ain't broke, why replace it?'

My E1 did a perfectly good job when I bought it in 2004, and it continues to do a good job, so I won't be replacing it simply because the newer models have more pixels.

I firmly believe that we [consumers] need to get out of this mindset where everything is replaced/upgraded/renewed on an annual basis, and the manufacturers need to get used to this idea too.

RogerMac
19th January 2009, 03:53 PM

I already have an E system camera and several excellent lenses but I do NOT feel let down by either the current promotion on the E3 or the initial pricing of the E30. When I feel I need a better system I will just make a decision on the price Oly are then asking and decide if it is worth it. Until then I have an excellent camera that (as Nigel says) does exactly what I expected when I bought it.

What is really holding me up is the amount of choice available - would I get more fun out of an E30, an E3 plus ring flash, an E420 plus pancake or the yet unannounced microFT?:confused:

Roger

theMusicMan
19th January 2009, 04:11 PM
........ unless your existing camera no longer meets your requirements, in which case a new E3 or E30 will look more attractive.

Perhaps Olympus is more forward (and backward) thinking than we realise, and is already adopting the post recession attitude of 'if it ain't broke, why replace it?'

My E1 did a perfectly good job when I bought it in 2004, and it continues to do a good job, so I won't be replacing it simply because the newer models have more pixels.

I firmly believe that we [consumers] need to get out of this mindset where everything is replaced/upgraded/renewed on an annual basis, and the manufacturers need to get used to this idea too.I don't think many of us are in that mindset Nigel, where we feel the need to replace our kit each time new models are released. My point is that Oly and others only seem to want to attract new customers, and frequently announce interesting and attractive deals with the hope that they entice photographers to use Oly kit. There's nothing wrong with wanting to attract new customers, but Oly already have a dedicated following of users, and I am sure - with a commercial hat on - Oly could come up with deals to increase the sales of lenses and the like - but make them exclusively for current system owners. I'd be interested in purchasing more lenses if there were offers out there for me, but all the offers seem to focus on new customers rather than including existing customers.

E-P1 fan
19th January 2009, 04:52 PM
Perhaps Canon (and others) will now get the message that adding more and more pixels is not the answer? :)

Ever hopeful Nigel *chr

Naughty Nigel
20th January 2009, 12:01 PM
I don't think many of us are in that mindset Nigel, where we feel the need to replace our kit each time new models are released. My point is that Oly and others only seem to want to attract new customers, and frequently announce interesting and attractive deals with the hope that they entice photographers to use Oly kit. There's nothing wrong with wanting to attract new customers, but Oly already have a dedicated following of users, and I am sure - with a commercial hat on - Oly could come up with deals to increase the sales of lenses and the like - but make them exclusively for current system owners. I'd be interested in purchasing more lenses if there were offers out there for me, but all the offers seem to focus on new customers rather than including existing customers.

I don't think that 'we' here on this forum are so afflicted with the curse of consumerism, but there are many in the CanNikon camps who are. In fairness to Olympus, I don't think they are particularly guilty of encouraging this kind of behavior, but the opposition seem to launch a new model almost every week, which must surely result in pointless and unnecessary upgrades.

I have always thought that Olympus appealed to a more mature market, where customers are more interested in photography than the hardware, but it may just be that they don’t have the firepower to launch a new camera as often as the competition.

I agree that it would be ‘nice’ if Olympus was to offer incentives to existing customers, but even if they could afford to do it, how would such as system be policed? For example, it would be difficult to offer the same discounts to all E-System users, so would we see fake E3 serial numbers being auctioned on Fleabay? And what would happen when Olympus realized that the same E1 customer had bought dozens of FL50’s and a hundred 50 ~ 200 mm zooms at discount? :confused:

theMusicMan
20th January 2009, 12:23 PM
Now we're into good debate!

I agree policing of this would be tremendously difficult, but nonetheless, it can be done. Many organisations run incentive campaigns for their current customers, and there's no reason why camera manufacturers should not be able to do the same for their client base.

You make valid points regarding fleabay and abuse of such incentive schemes; but part of the growth of a business needs to address these issues such that any systems (people/processes/technology) subsequently put in place to manage them take these issues into account.

Just as I am sure that the campaigns currently running will facilitate increased sales and the generation of additional revenue, then so will campaigns that are aimed at an existing client base. There is revenue to be generated from this niche; I'd buy more stuff if it were offered to me on the back of such a scheme run and managed by Olympus and I am sure others would too.

Naughty Nigel
20th January 2009, 12:36 PM
Just as I am sure that the campaigns currently running will facilitate increased sales and the generation of additional revenue, then so will campaigns that are aimed at an existing client base. There is revenue to be generated from this niche; I'd buy more stuff if it were offered to me on the back of such a scheme run and managed by Olympus and I am sure others would too.

So would I, but I don't know that it would bring the returns that Olympus needs.

Many other businesses offer incentives to new customers, including discounted car insurance, free handsets with mobile phone contracts and so on. As an existing customer I have often felt quite put out by these offers, but they are there for a reason - to get new customers into the fold.

So as much as I would like to feel 'appreciated' as a long term customer, I won't be holding my breath.

PS: Better still; how about offering special deals on original Zuiko lenses for us OM users.:D

blu-by-u
22nd January 2009, 10:57 AM
I would not mind if Olympus would offer say additional rebate or even a buy back policy..on the other hand, who would sell back or surrender their working camera?

I would love to have an E-30 but that body only price is putting me off. Maybe in a year, when olympus wakes up, and lower it's price, then I will have a 2nd look again...so for the meanwhile, It's still old faithful E-330 for me.

shirley
22nd January 2009, 07:20 PM
Just seen this

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_20879.htm

Zuiko
22nd January 2009, 07:27 PM
PS: Better still; how about offering special deals on original Zuiko lenses for us OM users.:D

It's called e-bay! :D