PDA

View Full Version : Rumoured E-M1 ii launch next week

Ian
12th September 2016, 01:52 PM
It's no secret that Olympus has what is being billed as an important launch event next week at Photokina and I will be there.

The rumour is that it will be the OM-D E-M1 Mk ii. This time three years ago I had already had several weeks of hands-on knowledge of the E-M1 having been to Japan to meet the designer and the engineers at Olympus. This year Olympus hasn't even issued an embargoed press release so I know as much as you do.

Never mind, I will do my best to get the salient information to you as fast as I can. So, here is the plan: I will prepare an article with a list of proposed features that people are expecting the new camera to have. During the event I will tick (or cross) each listed feature item and post the list online as soon as it's completed. I will follow up later with a more descriptive article.

The question is, what features should I list?! Most answers will be yes or no but some will be a number.

Here are a few of my own suggestions:

Dual card slots
Support for UHS-II cards
Integrated GPS
4K video support
4K stills support
20 megapixel sensor
Increased number of phase detect AF points
How many PD AF points?
Inclusion of cross-type phase detect AF points
How many cross-type AF points?
Absence of conventional mechanical focal plane shutter
USB 3.0 data port
DisplayPort port
Bluetooth support
NFC support
Side-hinged articulating display
Enhanced multi-touch user interface (with pinch to zoom, etc.)
Custom settings that can be named
Custom settings that can be exported/imported

The list should concentrate on new features. So what would you propose be added to this list?

When I was in Japan three years ago I did talk at length about my personal ambition to see a camera with a much more modular design, with a central lens mount/sensor unit that could be mixed and matched with a variety of grips, displays and viewfinders. I can only dream that some if this may have been taken onboard! :)

Over to you!

Ian

wornish
12th September 2016, 03:55 PM
New Menu system ?

Ian
12th September 2016, 04:17 PM
New Menu system ?

Olympus gets a bad rap for its menu system but I do wonder if that's mainly from people new to the system?

Ian

Bikie John
12th September 2016, 04:37 PM
Things I would like to see compared with the E-M1 Mark I:

Better battery management. The in-camera gauge of full/half-full/CHANGE ME NOW is both inadequate and inaccurate. The chargers don't give any useful indication either. This has always been a problem with Olys and I suspect has been good for sales of third-party chargers. I have other cameras and Hahnel chargers which can give much more useful and reliable info on charge status.

Ability to use without rear screen at all - the Mark 1 is almost there, can do settings and image review through the EVF, but the rear panel still has a residual glow which is a pain in a dark theatre/concert venue. I would like the option of turning it off altogether.

Better performance at high ISO. I don't feel any need to go higher than it does (I don't even know what the upper limit is nowadays), but would certainly appreciate better rendering at the higher end. I use 3200 fairly regularly and it's not too bad, but sometimes I need 6400, at which point the image is falling to bits.

And I know this is out of your original spec, but - please can we have a reasonably compact, fast, weathersealed prime lens. I would love something like a weathersealed Oly version of the lovely Panny 20mm f/1.7.

Thanks Ian and good luck!

John

Ian
12th September 2016, 05:37 PM
Things I would like to see compared with the E-M1 Mark I:

Better battery management. The in-camera gauge of full/half-full/CHANGE ME NOW is both inadequate and inaccurate. The chargers don't give any useful indication either. This has always been a problem with Olys and I suspect has been good for sales of third-party chargers. I have other cameras and Hahnel chargers which can give much more useful and reliable info on charge status.

Ability to use without rear screen at all - the Mark 1 is almost there, can do settings and image review through the EVF, but the rear panel still has a residual glow which is a pain in a dark theatre/concert venue. I would like the option of turning it off altogether.

Better performance at high ISO. I don't feel any need to go higher than it does (I don't even know what the upper limit is nowadays), but would certainly appreciate better rendering at the higher end. I use 3200 fairly regularly and it's not too bad, but sometimes I need 6400, at which point the image is falling to bits.

And I know this is out of your original spec, but - please can we have a reasonably compact, fast, weathersealed prime lens. I would love something like a weathersealed Oly version of the lovely Panny 20mm f/1.7.

Thanks Ian and good luck!

John

Of course a side-mounted articulating screen would sort that problem out :) I was a bit disappointed when I originally learned that the screen was LCD rather than OLED; the latter would be completely dark.

Ian

pdk42
12th September 2016, 06:12 PM
Hand-help hi-res mode is my top-priority feature I'm looking for.

TubaMagna8
12th September 2016, 06:36 PM
Better Video control, like being able to change Aperture when recording. +1 for the Better high ISO Performance.

Bikie John
12th September 2016, 07:10 PM
Of course a side-mounted articulating screen would sort that problem out :) I was a bit disappointed when I originally learned that the screen was LCD rather than OLED; the latter would be completely dark.

Ian

Thanks Ian, it would indeed. Or possibly even sort it out :D

John

Simon Bee
12th September 2016, 08:19 PM
In the last few years M4/3 sensor noise sensitivity has dramatically improved with higher and higher 'useable' ISO yet many still feel it's the systems Achilles heel. Personally I have little use for super high ISO ( Tri X film is fast to me ), however and this only my opinion a step forward in this area would be to drop back to 12MP:eek:

The larger photons of a 12MP sensor on the latest generation sensors would surely produce cleaner higher ISO and lets face it 12MP is more than enough in most instances, the E-1 and it's 5MP still rocks if the light is good;)

Maybe the answer would be to follow Sony ..... a high MP body for those who need ( or should I say 'want' ) it and a 12MP version for those who want cleaner high ISO. I don't think for one minute that is what will be delivered, but hey, would be nice.

Yes to dual card slots, articulated screen, high res mode, more PD AF Points, the rest would be of little importance to me, though I appreciate many would find them useful perhaps even essential.

Kind regards, Simon

Mdb2
12th September 2016, 10:05 PM
All the above. Also because mirrorless is power hungry, then a grip that actually uses two batteries within. I personally never place a battery in the camera. Screen isolation as and when needed.
Kind regards Mike

pdk42
12th September 2016, 10:11 PM
In the last few years M4/3 sensor noise sensitivity has dramatically improved with higher and higher 'useable' ISO yet many still feel it's the systems Achilles heel. Personally I have little use for super high ISO ( Tri X film is fast to me ), however and this only my opinion a step forward in this area would be to drop back to 12MP:eek:

The larger photons of a 12MP sensor on the latest generation sensors would surely produce cleaner higher ISO and lets face it 12MP is more than enough in most instances, the E-1 and it's 5MP still rocks if the light is good;)

Maybe the answer would be to follow Sony ..... a high MP body for those who need ( or should I say 'want' ) it and a 12MP version for those who want cleaner high ISO. I don't think for one minute that is what will be delivered, but hey, would be nice.

Yes to dual card slots, articulated screen, high res mode, more PD AF Points, the rest would be of little importance to me, though I appreciate many would find them useful perhaps even essential.

Kind regards, Simon

I used to think that lower res = lower noise, but having read a few articles on it, and in fact looking at sensor evolution over the last 5 years or so, it seems that the evidence isn't there to show that - quite the opposite in fact. Except for extreme cases (like the A7s), the trend has been for higher Mp count AND lower noise. I hope this is true with future u43 sensors.

Sensor-shift hi-res is a proven way of delivering a number of big advantages:

- Higher resolution (obviously)
- More accurate colour
- No Moire
- Lower noise

Look at this comparison between the E-M5ii in HiRes mode to the E-M1 for proof:

ISO200:
http://www.famillekaye.com/EM5HiRes.jpg

ISO 1600:
http://www.famillekaye.com/EM5HiRes1600.jpg

If Oly can deliver this feature so that it's hand-holdable (or more precisely so that it'll complete the exposure in a relatively short time - say 1/30th sec) then I think it'll be a game-changer for many uses (landscape being a key one).

JohnGG
12th September 2016, 10:26 PM
A bit of a long shot but how about OM3/4-style multi-spot metering, much missed by me on digital :(

Cheers,

JohnGG

pdk42
13th September 2016, 03:49 AM
A bit of a long shot but how about OM3/4-style multi-spot metering, much missed by me on digital :(

Cheers,

JohnGG

With live view and under/over exposure blinkies, why would this be useful?

Zuiko
13th September 2016, 07:44 AM

Nostalgia. I used to exclusively use the spot metering on my OM4Ti and even more useful to me than the multi spot function (take too many spot readings and you end up with an average exposure anyway) was the ability to lock an exposure into the memory until you cancelled it. I rarely, if ever, use spot metering on my EM-5, the exception being when using ND grad filters and I want to balance the exposure of two or more points within the scene.

Ian
13th September 2016, 10:03 AM
I can see multi spot being implemented but rather think it would be a bit gimmicky. But still, it would fit in with the retro flavour of things :)

Ian

Dan in NC
13th September 2016, 01:10 PM
Being that I'm still using the old E-system DSLR's (E-520, E-3 & E-5), I would like to know if the EM-1 II will still be fully compatible with the old 43rds lenses and with improved continuous autofocus.

Phill D
13th September 2016, 03:10 PM
That's a good point Dan. Hope they don't go and remove the good 4/3s lens operability as I've still got some too.

crimbo
13th September 2016, 09:23 PM

Cheers,

JohnGG
or... average metering ... not yer centre weighted

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

JohnGG
13th September 2016, 09:57 PM

Pretty much what John said :)

I agree that it is much less of a necessity with digital as opposed to colour slide film because you can rescue so much in pp these days. I found multi-spot (no more than 2 or 3) useful for interiors and the memory function invaluable when at the Isle of Man TT Races. As long as weather conditions were fairly constant, a spot reading with highlight from a white fairing saved into memory meant that all the passing bikes were well exposed regardless of livery.

Cheers,

JohnGG

drmarkf
14th September 2016, 12:57 AM
Olympus gets a bad rap for its menu system but I do wonder if that's mainly from people new to the system?

Ian

And mainly from people who've never experienced the Sony A7 menu system :eek:

In-camera battery charging would be nice to allow less cluttered travel.

damianmkv
14th September 2016, 05:35 AM
For me, I would like

Less noise at high ISO - I had a look at the X-t2 at 12800 and it's pretty damn good
Better AF tracking - AF + TR is laughable.
Eliminate EVF blackouts - makes panning so difficult
Better battery life - I took 557 shots at the weekend and used 3 batteries :o

If these don't happen, then I'll likely be off back to Nikon

crimbo
14th September 2016, 05:59 AM
For me, I would like

Less noise at high ISO - I had a look at the X-t2 at 12800 and it's pretty damn good

AF + TR does work well ... under certain circumstances ...

damianmkv
14th September 2016, 06:13 AM
What are they ? I tried with the 40-150 pro in lo and hi and it kept wandering off.

If a camera can't track a car, something's wrong imo

Ian
14th September 2016, 06:16 AM
For me, I would like

The tracking AF mode is widely misunderstood. It is designed to pattern match a target in the scene and maintain focus on that object but it isn't meant to work in fast action photography. It's an automated enhancement to focus and recompose. To track in action photography you need to use groups of focus points.

Ian

Ian
14th September 2016, 06:18 AM
Being that I'm still using the old E-system DSLR's (E-520, E-3 & E-5), I would like to know if the EM-1 II will still be fully compatible with the old 43rds lenses and with improved continuous autofocus.

It would be shocking if that wasn't the case!

Ian

damianmkv
14th September 2016, 06:19 AM
You mean the 9 af points when using +TR, Ian ? I tried that too

TBH, s-af or c-af were much more suceesful

crimbo
14th September 2016, 06:48 AM
Shall W e move the tracking discussion to another thread?

Otto
14th September 2016, 08:03 AM
In-camera battery charging would be nice to allow less cluttered travel.

My little XZ-10 charges in situ from a USB port - that would be a useful feature on the OM-Ds as a much wider variety of chargers could be used including in-car.

Ian
14th September 2016, 08:09 AM
You mean the 9 af points when using +TR, Ian ? I tried that too

TBH, s-af or c-af were much more suceesful

No, don't use the TR option unless for fairly static scenes where your subject is moving around because you are changing the framing.

For action photography use grouped focus points.

As suggested we can start a separate thread on this if necessary.

Ian

katran
14th September 2016, 07:26 PM
I hope the DR&noise will be better than PEN-F.

All the PEN-F pictures I saw were very noisy, especially at low ISO (ISO-200). In my opinion the old 16 Mp sensors were better.

It's good to have 20Mp resolution, but waiting an improvment for DR & noise. There it should be an improvment, because the sensors from other companies made a good progress.
Look at the Sony RX100 III. It has an 1" sensor only, but the same DR as E-M1, E-M5 which have 2x larger sensors.

gazza95
16th September 2016, 07:45 AM
Hi Ian

As a 4/3 user I am obviously looking for continued support for these lenses as they still compliment the M43.

C-AF focusing ( 4/3 ) did not really move forward from the E-5 and really lags the competition. So it needs either cross type sensors or a mixture of orientations.

On old systems there was a diamond pattern which made a lot of sense.

Tracking would be nice but not at expense of the above.

Improving usability of Hi Rez mode would be interesting, and also to understand how effective this is will older lenses. By that a mean is ultimate resolution still limited by what the lens can resolve?

Video. 4k video is a new world and of particular interest. While I do not expect Olympus to compete with the forth coming Panasonic GH5, it does need to be in that market place. So this then comes down to formats, bit rates and codecs

As a user of M43 lenses on a drone it would be fascinating to see S-BUS input, like Black Magic, GH4 is used on drones but you cannot control camera while in the air.

Gary

thecedars
16th September 2016, 09:18 AM
Is it likely that the spot metering will be available on the chosen focus point or at least some of them? Or that the ESP metering can be weighted towards the focus point as I believe Nikon cameras are set up? I would find this helpful.

Thanks

Mark

pdk42
16th September 2016, 06:26 PM
Is it likely that the spot metering will be available on the chosen focus point or at least some of them?

This should be a simple task since it already does that with the current cameras when using face detect.

On the issue of multiple spot points, again I'm really at a loss to see why this is useful on a camera with live view and a display that shows under and over exposure shading/blinkies. Using this is faster and more visually informative than playing around with setting multiple spot meter points.

Graham_of_Rainham
16th September 2016, 09:26 PM
A new flash FL-900 and the E-PL8 are also on the cards...

Ian is going to be very busy reviewing this lot. :D

Wee man
17th September 2016, 08:30 AM
Hoping for a built in flash, the small flash with the ME1 is a nuisance to carry around. Not much power but I mainly use it as a trigger for my bigger flash units.

Wee Man

Graham_of_Rainham
17th September 2016, 09:17 AM
Press Release Live on Monday at 7pm.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y56zaMP0ggQ&feature=youtu.be

Miketoll
17th September 2016, 10:06 AM

Thanks. The link says 5.30pm though.

Graham_of_Rainham
17th September 2016, 01:28 PM
Thanks. The link says 5.30pm though.

They have changed it... There is a countdown now.

Miketoll
17th September 2016, 03:31 PM

Aha, my breath is bated! :D

Wee man
17th September 2016, 09:26 PM
Watch synchronised watching for countdown.

Wee Man

Ross the fiddler
18th September 2016, 04:05 AM

That would be Cologne time, of course (& will be 3:00 am downunder, Sydney time).

But the Americans are telling them it will start half an hour earlier.

gazza95
19th September 2016, 06:28 AM
Oh and one other thing Ian;

Have they reduced shutter delay when using TTL Auto flash!!!

Another of those little quirks of the E-M1 compared to E-3. E-3 0.1 sec while E-M1 0,25 seconds using an FL50R..... Set flash to Auto and its back to 0.1 seconds.........

Gary

sdb123
19th September 2016, 05:34 PM
Further details on Olympus UK

https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras/om_d_system_cameras/om_d/e_m1_mark_ii/index.html

& Olympus US

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/e-m1-mark-ii.html

iso
19th September 2016, 06:24 PM
Olympus E-M1II press text (http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-m1ii-press-text/)

September 19, 2016
news (http://www.43rumors.com/category/news/)
8 Comments (http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-m1ii-press-text/#disqus_thread)

(http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-m1ii-press-text/)http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/plugins/add-to-any/icons/facebook.png (http://www.43rumors.com/#facebook)
(http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-m1ii-press-text/)http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/plugins/add-to-any/share_save_120_16.png (https://www.addtoany.com/share#url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.43rumors.com%2Folympus-e-m1ii-press-text%2F&title=Olympus%20E-M1II%20press%20text&description=)

http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/3_E-M1II.jpg

OLYMPUS ANNOUNCES THE DEVELOPMENT OF ITS NEW FLAGSHIP CAMERA, THE OM-D E-M1 MARK II

Olympus developing breakthrough Flagship Micro Four Thirds® camera with advanced performance for the professional photographer
CENTER VALLEY, Pa., September 19, 2016 — Olympus announces the development of its newest flagship camera and the latest addition to the award-winning OM-D series, the Olympus® OM-D E-M1 Mark II, a compact system camera with performance capabilities that surpass pro-level DSLRs. The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II will be designed to deliver incredible speed, superior image resolution and a host of new shooting features to expand the boundaries of photographic expression.
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II will be equipped with the newly-developed high-speed TruePic VIII Image Processor which is 3.5 times faster than previous TruePic processors and a new 20.4 megapixel Live MOS sensor equipped with 121 points of cross-type on-chip phase detection and contrast detection AF. These technologies will work with the camera’s electronic shutter to provide full resolution images at up to an unprecedented 60 frames per second in AF and AE lock, and up to 18 frames per second with continuous AF and AE tracking.
The advanced Dual FAST AF system will automatically select between contrast and phase detection AF depending on lens type, camera settings and lighting conditions to ensure accurate focus and sharp image quality. In addition, the continuous AF tracking performance will be dramatically improved with a new moving subject tracking algorithm.
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II will boast a wide array of shooting features including a new Pro Capture Mode for lag-free shooting that enables the capture of split-second moments, a 50 Megapixel High Res Shot Mode for images with incredible detail that rivals that of full-frame DSLRs, in-body 5-Axis Image Stabilization with a maximum of 5.5 shutter speed steps of compensation performance1, and 5-Axis Sync IS for a maximum of 6.5 shutter speed steps of compensation2 when combined with the new M.ZUIKO® Digital ED 12-100mm f4.0 IS PRO.
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II will be weathersealed to be dustproof, splashproof, and freezeproof (down to 14°F / -10°C) in a compact lightweight design, ideal for shooting in all types of outdoor conditions. The camera will exceed professional photographers’ performance requirements by employing a high-performance durable shutter designed to clear 200,000 actuations*3, dual memory card slots, and an improved battery capacity of 37 percent from its predecessor model.
Main Features
High-Speed Sequential Shooting and Superior AF Performance
Live MOS sensor and TruePic VIII Image Processor
The newly-developed high-speed TruePic VIII Image Processor and a new 20.4 megapixel live MOS sensor will work in concert with the camera’s electronic shutter to provide full resolution images at a maximum 60 frames per second in AF and AE lock, and up to 18 frames per second with continuous AF and AE tracking.
The TruePic VIII Image Processor will boast a dual quad core system with four CPU cores and four image processing cores that achieve image processing speeds approximately 3.5 times faster than the TruePic VII Processor. Because camera operation and image processing functions will be carried out in parallel, transfer speeds and menu operations will be vastly improved over previous models. A new Pro Capture Mode will provide lag-free shooting so users can capture high-quality full resolution images at precise moments with no compromises.
Advanced Dual FAST AF
The advanced Dual FAST AF will automatically choose between on-chip phase detection AF, contrast detection AF, or will utilize both phase and contrast detection simultaneously. This system will boast 121 cross-type on-chip phase detection focus points in order to dramatically improve accuracy. The simultaneous use of contrast detection and on-chip phase detection AF will enable accurate focus in difficult lighting conditions, while a new moving subject tracking algorithm will rapidly and continuously measure the subject-to-camera distance to precisely maintain focus. Finally, an in-camera AF limiter will be included to achieve faster focusing by limiting the focus range of the lens, thus preventing time-consuming focus hunting.
Autofocus functions such as AF Target Mode4, AF target position, and face/eye priority AF will be easily set with a single action. AF operations will be enhanced with a new cluster display, which illuminates active sensors to assure the user of focus subject accuracy. The AF Targeting Pad feature will allow users to select the AF point by sliding their finger on the rear touch LCD while looking through the viewfinder.
High-magnification, high-speed electronic viewfinder
The performance of the 1.48x (35mm equivalent) high-magnification, high-resolution electronic viewfinder will rival those of professional full-frame interchangeable lens cameras. With high-speed operation that includes a maximum frame rate of 120 fps and a minimum six-millisecond display time lag during shooting, users will never lose track of fast-moving subjects.
High-speed response
Superior response will be facilitated by a significant improvement in shutter release lag time; this time will be reduced by approximately 30% from that of the predecessor model so users will never miss a photo opportunity. In addition, frame advance speed during playback will be approximately three times faster for faster scrolling and review of images.
Outstanding Portability and Reliability
A compact, lightweight system with excellent portability
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II will feature weatherproof construction in a compact and lightweight design. Coupled with an Olympus M.ZUIKO lens, the OM-D system remains extremely compact, providing the ultimate in portability for shooting and transportation. Hand-held super-telephoto shooting will be possible with the M.ZUIKO Digital ED 300mm f4.0 IS PRO lens (600mm focal length in 35mm equivalent), and this camera and lens combination will even be compact enough to store in carry-on luggage when flying.
Weatherproof construction and Super-Sonic Wave Filter dust reduction system
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II will feature high-performance weathersealing for excellent dustproof, splashproof and freezeproof (down to 14°F / -10°C) performance so that users can shoot in the harshest of conditions. This weatherproofing will not be limited to the camera body alone: it is extended across the entire OM-D system, including the dustproof, splashproof, and freezeproof M.ZUIKO PRO lens lineup5. In addition, a Supersonic Wave Filter (SSWF) dust reduction system will vibrate the image sensor more than 30,000 times a second to virtually eliminate any dust that may land on the sensor while changing lenses.
High-performance shutter rated for 200,000 actuations
A newly-developed shutter will be rated for 200,000 shots3 to withstand consistent daily use in professional environments.
Dual memory card slots
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II will feature dual memory card slots to allow simultaneous use of two SD cards for more versatile shooting. The slots will be positioned in a staggered layout, making cards easier to insert and remove. Users will be able to select from four types of settings: “Standard” will record to the specified card; “Automatic Switching” will automatically switch to the second card when the first card becomes full; “Dual Independent” will record to both cards according to the specified image quality setting assigned to each; and “Dual Same” will record identical files to both cards simultaneously. Slot 1 will support UHS-II and UHS-I cards, while Slot 2 will support UHS-I cards.
High-capacity battery and rapid charger
With an improved 1720mAh rating, the new BLH-1 lithium-ion rechargeable battery will have a capacity that’s approximately 37% higher than that of the BLN-1 used in the predecessor model. The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II will display the remaining battery life percentage on the rear monitor so that users will never be surprised by a depleted battery. Also, the new BCH-1 charger will be 50% faster than the previous version.
Exceptional Image Quality
Higher resolution and improved dynamic range
The new 20.4 megapixel Live MOS sensor will offer 25% higher resolution than the predecessor model, and the absence of a low-pass filter further enhances image quality. A higher dynamic range6 will improve the reproduction of highlight and shadow detail, and an anti-reflective coating on both sides of the sealing glass over the sensor will further enhance contrast performance.
Improved image quality at high ISO settings
The newly-developed TruePic VIII Image Processor will dramatically improve image quality when shooting at high ISO settings, making it possible to capture images with minimal noise. The normal sensitivity ISO (ISO AUTO) range will be expanded to ISO 6400 for greater flexibility in a variety of shooting scenarios and Fine Detail Processing II will ensure that no detail will be lost due to over-sharpening.
ISO 64 equivalent ISO LOW setting
The ISO LOW setting will be equivalent to ISO 64, providing greater flexibility to shoot at wider apertures even in brightly-lit situations, making it possible to achieve beautiful shallow depths-of-field.
50 Megapixel High Res Shot Mode
A High Res Shot Mode will utilize the Voice Coil Motor (VCM) system of the 5-Axis Image Stabilization System to precisely shift the sensor in half pixel increments while capturing a total of eight shots. The camera will then automatically composite the shots into a single 50-megapixel equivalent ultra-high resolution image7. This unique Olympus technology is a necessity for any still life photographer or anyone that requires ultra-fine detail reproduction. The new TruePic VIII Image Processor will effectively suppress blur due to subject movement, making it possible to utilize High Res Shot Mode in a wide variety of shooting conditions, such as gently-blowing grass, tree leaves, or ocean waves. In addition to 80 megapixel RAW and 50-megapixel equivalent JPEG images, it will be possible to select a smaller 25 megapixel equivalent file size.
In-body 5-Axis Image Stabilization
The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II will be equipped with the latest in-body 5-Axis Image Stabilization that compensates for all types of camera shake. An optimized correction algorithm will boast outstanding compensation performance with approximately 5.5 shutter speed steps of compensation*1. Also, when combined with Olympus lenses equipped with in-lens image stabilization, 5-Axis Sync IS will provide the world’s most powerful 6.5 shutter speed steps of compensation*8 for blur-free handheld shooting of stills and video.
Stunning UHD Video Capture
Digital Cinema Standard 4K videos
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II will support Digital Cinema Standard 4K (4096 x 2060 pixels) video capture*9 at a 24P frame rate and a bit rate of up to 237 Mbps for authentic movie production. The 20.4 megapixel Live MOS sensor will provide a read speed three times faster than that of the predecessor model for effective suppression of movement distortion, resulting in sharp, clear image quality. The video-specific picture mode “Flat” will be ideal for color grading and finishing the footage exactly as envisioned by the videographer.
5-Axis Image Stabilization combined with electronic stabilization for video
With four times the resolution of Full HD, 4K videos are easily affected by camera movement and typically require a tripod, mini jib, crane, and other specialized accessories for movie recording. The OM-D E-M1 Mark II will pair its advanced 5-Axis Image Stabilization with electronic stabilization specialized for movies (M-IS)*10 to effectively reduce camera shake, making handheld 4K video capture possible. This outstanding image stabilization system will allow videographers to easily shoot movies with virtually no visible camera shake. The camera’s rear vari-angle LCD monitor will be adjustable to the user’s preferred angle for shooting convenience.
HDMI monitor connection and recording synchronization
The HDMI monitor connection will provide the ability to view live video output live on a larger display while shooting. Users will be able to select from Monitor Mode for an external monitor and Recording Mode to capture uncompressed video directly from the HDMI port. The OM-D E-M1 Mark II will be equipped with a synchronization signal so that video recording to an external device may be started or stopped from the camera. A 4:2:2 external output will be provided to meet a wider color correction range. An audio synchronization function will make it easy to synchronize audio recording when using Olympus’ Linear PCM Recorder LS-100 while recording video, and a Slate Tone function will facilitate the syncing of recorded audio and video.
Advanced Shooting Functions
Silent Mode
Silent Mode will utilize a silent electronic shutter to eliminate all mechanical noises while shooting. Silent Mode will be especially useful for shooting in situations where noise of any kind is not appropriate, including stage performances, concerts, and even sleeping children. Also, it will be possible to deactivate the AF Illuminator, autofocus confirmation beep, and flash for practically silent operation.
Focus Stacking / Focus Bracketing Modes
Depth-of-field is especially shallow when taking macro photos, making it difficult to capture an image that is completely in focus from the foreground to background, even at smaller apertures. Focus Stacking Mode will capture eight shots at different focal positions and composite them to form a single shot that is entirely in focus. The depth-of-field provided by Focus Stacking will be far deeper than even the smallest aperture at close distances. Focus Stacking Mode will be compatible with seven Olympus M.ZUIKO lenses for a variety of shooting scenes*11.
Focus Bracketing Mode will capture up to 999 shots at different focal distances with a single shutter button press, allowing users to choose shots with the optimal focus point or use commercially-available software to composite all images into one picture with stunning depth-of-field.
Live Composite / Live Bulb Modes
Live Composite Mode will be available for shooting fireworks and cityscapes against starry backgrounds. While using Live Composite, the exposure of dark areas remains constant, while areas of light that change during the exposure are updated, creating trails of light from stars or fireworks. Live Bulb and Live Composite Modes will allow users to easily check the image on the LCD monitor in real time, instead of relying on intuition.
Keystone Compensation
The camera will be equipped with Keystone Compensation for photographing architecture. Keystone Compensation digitally provides tilt and shift functions with all M.ZUIKO lenses, and because trapezoidal compensation may be applied simultaneously to both vertical and horizontal directions, it is possible to shoot various subjects in a wide range of situations.
Tethered shooting with Olympus Capture
Olympus Capture is now available in Version 1.2 and will support tethered shooting with the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II. High-speed data processing and transfer via the USB 3.0 Type C port will be four times faster than with Olympus Capture Version 1.1. A cable clip will be bundled for securing and stabilizing the cable to a strap when the camera and computer are connected.
Additional features

Customizable C-AF tracking sensitivity will allow users to choose the best setting for their subject to optimize C-AF tracking performance.
AF Scan will allow users to adjust the lens scan operation settings in low-contrast environments to prevent unnecessary hunting.
Preset MF will let users quickly set a preferred focus distance when using manual focus.
AF Home Settings will be assignable to a customizable function button. Users will be able to program their most frequently used AF target position, AF Target Mode, and AF Mode as an AF Home setting.
Lowest Shutter Speed Setting on the camera will allow users to predefine a minimum shutter speed so that the ISO sensitivity will increase in low-light situations rather than slowing down the shutter speed. This is convenient for handheld shooting in low-light environments.
Users will be able to back up customized camera settings on a computer so that they can be re-applied to the camera whenever necessary, especially useful for using the same settings on multiple cameras or maintaining settings after a firmware update.
Specify Folder function will let users select a folder as a recording destination and create new folders to make image editing and management easier.
Grid settings will allow users to set a highly visible grid color for display as a guide when shooting in dark locations such as theaters.
The “Date/Time/Second” display will let users organize images by a second unit. This is an effective feature for high-speed sequential shooting.

shenstone
19th September 2016, 06:38 PM
the camera looks wonderful.. that video is B*****y awful

katran
19th September 2016, 07:20 PM
Let's summarize:

1. C-AF with 18 fps in raw format;
2. 60 fps without C-AF;
3. 121 cross focus points;
4. 4k video 236mbps;
5. EVF 1.48x with 120 fps framerate and 6ms reaction time.
6. Dual UHS-II SD slots
7. shutter rated for 200k shots.
8. ISO 64;
9. high DR;
10. High-Res 50 Mp/80Mp supports now also movement subjects.
11. Better battery.

Snookerman
19th September 2016, 08:06 PM
Sounds like it's much as we expected and that's no bad thing.
I like the aesthetic changes to the epl8. It looks better.
I don't think we are going to get an ep6, alas.
For me, what's really lacking ate telephoto primes. A 100mm or a 150mm, a 2x convereter that works with all lenses.

AMc
20th September 2016, 08:37 AM
Surely the EP6 has already been released as the PEN-F?

The EPL8 and the EM1 mkII both look lovely but way beyond me pocket for a while :)

hotbath1962
20th September 2016, 05:10 PM
I still have a couple of 4/3 lenses I don't intend to trade for m4/3. Does the new E-M1ii support 4/3 like the mk1. There appears to be no mention in the publicity unless I've missed it.

TonyR
21st September 2016, 10:44 PM
I still have a couple of 4/3 lenses I don't intend to trade for m4/3. Does the new E-M1ii support 4/3 like the mk1. There appears to be no mention in the publicity unless I've missed it.

Yes, 4/3 lenses are still supported, including new features like the software focus limiter.

pdk42
22nd September 2016, 04:27 AM
Let's summarize:

1. C-AF with 18 fps in raw format;
2. 60 fps without C-AF;
3. 121 cross focus points;
4. 4k video 236mbps;
5. EVF 1.48x with 120 fps framerate and 6ms reaction time.
6. Dual UHS-II SD slots
7. shutter rated for 200k shots.
8. ISO 64;
9. high DR;
10. High-Res 50 Mp/80Mp supports now also movement subjects.
11. Better battery.

Nice summary, bit we're still missing important info about the sensor and its capabilities. There's talk of 1-stop improvement for noise and/or DR, but it's not clear whether this is raw files or jpegs. We also don't know the base ISO (is it 200 as current sensors?) and how that relates to noise at base. Long exposure noise is an unknown (I've been hurt by E-M1 long exposure noise this week doing landscape shots with a10-stop ND filter).

The new camera sounds amazing from a speed, AF and usability perspective, but its IQ is still an unknown.

pdk42
22nd September 2016, 04:31 AM

I think you've missed it. With the new 121 all cross point AF array, I expect 4/3 lenses to work better than ever - probably even better than the older 4/3 DSLRs.

Ross the fiddler
22nd September 2016, 06:01 AM
I think you've missed it. With the new 121 all cross point AF array, I expect 4/3 lenses to work better than ever - probably even better than the older 4/3 DSLRs.

I think it (E-M1 Mk II) would although they (E-3, E-30 & E-5) were only 11 AF points, they were Twin Cross sensors though. I think I am going to see if I can save some cash & hopefully be able to justify going for it next year when a bonus or cash back promotion comes around in the middle of the year. We'll see because I would like it to be the 12-100 kit & I can see that being AU$3500 (12-100 lens is AU$1799).

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd September 2016, 02:23 PM
I'm so pleased that they have moved the Right Hand strap lug away from where my hand goes.

Forget all the other little improvements, it's this that will get me to buy one.

*chr

Ross the fiddler
22nd September 2016, 02:38 PM
I'm so pleased that they have moved the Right Hand strap lug away from where my hand goes.

Forget all the other little improvements, it's this that will get me to buy one.

*chr

Sure mate! :p

They obviously listened to those with bruised hands (& egos ;)) & was able to kill two birds with one stone by moving it to on top to make room to stack the two SD cards ports side by side (vertically). :rolleyes: :D

Olybirder
22nd September 2016, 03:26 PM
I see that they have moved the attachment point for the lever so that it rotates in the other direction now. I dont know if this is to give more room for the AEL/AFL button. I am sure we will soon get used to the change.

Ron

Mdb2
22nd September 2016, 05:44 PM
Nice summary, bit we're still missing important info about the sensor and its capabilities. There's talk of 1-stop improvement for noise and/or DR, but it's not clear whether this is raw files or jpegs. We also don't know the base ISO (is it 200 as current sensors?) and how that relates to noise at base. Long exposure noise is an unknown (I've been hurt by E-M1 long exposure noise this week doing landscape shots with a10-stop ND filter).

The new camera sounds amazing from a speed, AF and usability perspective, but its IQ is still an unknown.

Hi Paul i did read iso 64 ???
I wonder what the buffer limit is at 18fps ???
Kind regards mike

Ian
22nd September 2016, 06:01 PM
I met with Olympus' Toshi Terada this afternoon and he has clarified many points. Regarding the sensor the base ISO remains 200. Compared to the E-M1 there is an improvement in dynamic range of around 1 stop and noise of about 0.4 stops. He confirmed that sensor is completely new in construction compared with the E-M1 Mark 1. He could not say if long exposure noise has improved but he is optmistic. The mechanical shutter tops out at the same 10fps as before but is a new unit damped to a similar level of refinement as the remarkable E-M5 Mark II. I learned something new - the screen can remain touch sensitive while using the EVF so you can move the AF point around with a spare finger as you are looking through the finder; this was apparently introduced with the Pen F.

Ian

Ian
22nd September 2016, 06:09 PM

*chr

This never bothered me :) The camera is a few mm taller and the grip is thicker to improve the handling for users with big hands.

The HLD-9 grip can't accommodate a second battery because of the profiling of the grip means their isn't enough space. Batteries can't be charged in the camera - apparently USB voltage is too low. I forgot to ask about the charger and if it has progress indication, sorry - I will try to get that tomorrow. The grip now includes the 4-way controller from the back of the camera.

The continuous shooting mode has a much better EVF experience; I tried the 18fps mode and while there is momentary black out betwen each frame, the live view appears to be maintained at other times. I think it works well. I didn't try it with the mechanical shutter at 10fps though.

Ian

Ian
22nd September 2016, 06:24 PM
Our new site at DPNow.com went live this afternoon and there is an article with updated information on the E-M1ii launch here:

http://dpnow.com/olympus-unveils-high-speed-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-plus-new-pro-lenses-accessories/

Ian

damianmkv
22nd September 2016, 07:17 PM
Ian, thanks so so much - it's nice to see that questions here were asked by you and answers given

Much appreciated

pdk42
22nd September 2016, 09:06 PM
This never bothered me :) The camera is a few mm taller and the grip is thicker to improve the handling for users with big hands.

The HLD-9 grip can't accommodate a second battery because of the profiling of the grip means their isn't enough space. Batteries can't be charged in the camera - apparently USB voltage is too low. I forgot to ask about the charger and if it has progress indication, sorry - I will try to get that tomorrow. The grip now includes the 4-way controller from the back of the camera.

The continuous shooting mode has a much better EVF experience; I tried the 18fps mode and while there is momentary black out betwen each frame, the live view appears to be maintained at other times. I think it works well. I didn't try it with the mechanical shutter at 10fps though.

Ian

Thank you Ian - that's very helpful. Interesting that base ISO is 200 yet there is now an ISO 64 pushed setting. That means that highlights will be clipped by 1.5 stops. Will be interesting to see how well it works.

Ross the fiddler
22nd September 2016, 10:10 PM
I see that they have moved the attachment point for the lever so that it rotates in the other direction now. I dont know if this is to give more room for the AEL/AFL button. I am sure we will soon get used to the change.

Ron

I think they have made the EAL/AFL button more accessible while moving the lever to a less vulnerable position so inadvertent action is less likely. I have been a little frustrated (using my E-M1) when going to change aperture etc only to discover I had changed ISO or WB because the switch lever was in position 2, so I changed that option to Mode 4 to avoid that happening. This new arrangement should work a lot better.

*chr

hoodlum
23rd September 2016, 03:46 AM
Some more details I have not seen posted yet. Sorry but I cannot post the direct link yet as I need 4 more posts. :o

mirrorlessons.com/2016/09/22/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-extra-information

Graham_of_Rainham
23rd September 2016, 08:59 AM
Some more details I have not seen posted yet. Sorry but I cannot post the direct link yet as I need 4 more posts. :o

mirrorlessons.com/2016/09/22/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-extra-information

Hello. Welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself and post some of your excellent shots. It will also quickly up your post count.

*chr

pdk42
23rd September 2016, 11:46 AM

Ron

I'm a back-button focuser and use the AEL/AFL button for this task. On the E-M1, it's a bit of a stretch to press with my thumb. This new arrangement will put it naturally on the thumb when gripping the camera. I suspect that's what's behind the change since many people prefer back-button focus.

Mdb2
23rd September 2016, 04:40 PM
Has anyone read the max number of shots (raw) in burst mode before the buffer is full? Lets say on a 95bps card?
Kind regards mike

katran
23rd September 2016, 06:25 PM
Olympus Imaging Global Marketing Manager Toshiyuki Terada declared recently for ePhotozine that :

1. E-M1 II has better DR than Canon 7D II and Fuji X-T1;

2. E-M1 II is one stop better than E-M1 MK1 at noise :
ISO3200 on the E-M1 is equal to ISO6400 on the E-M1 II.

3. E-M1II price: “Slightly more than the E-M1, depending on location, and global economics, for example, Brexit.“

Full interview here:
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-q-a--olympus-om-d-e-m1-sensor-size-trip-29987

------------------------------------

damianmkv
23rd September 2016, 06:45 PM
Point 1 isn't fantastic is it ? The x-t1 is old and replaced by the x-t2 so surely Olympus should be shooting at current cameras, not one released in January 2014

Or have I missed something ?

pdk42
23rd September 2016, 07:38 PM
Point 1 isn't fantastic is it ? The x-t1 is old and replaced by the x-t2 so surely Olympus should be shooting at current cameras, not one released in January 2014

One reason could be that DXO don't have a measurement of DR for many Fuji camera due to complications caused by x trans. That might be the case for the XT2.

damianmkv
23rd September 2016, 07:58 PM
Ok. Can you explain "steps" ? I see things about DR which I understand and stops which I understand but now I'm reading steps too...

Am too thick for all this stuff [emoji19]

hoodlum
23rd September 2016, 09:25 PM
Ok. Can you explain "steps" ? I see things about DR which I understand and stops which I understand but now I'm reading steps too...

Based on the table at the bottom of the following link, the 4.2 steps refers to Dynamic Range Density and would translate to almost 14 stops. Anything over 13 stops would be find with me.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dynamic-range.htm

pdk42
23rd September 2016, 10:00 PM

Steps refers to Optical Density (OD) which is a log measure of the incident light over the transmitted light going through a filter. It's usually used to designate the "power" of an ND filter. If you look at a 10-stop filter ("big stopper"), it's reducing the light by 10-stops. That means it reduces it by a factor of 1024 (2 ^ 10). So, the OD is:

OD = log (1000/1) = 3

If you've ever wondered why your 10-stop filter is an ND3 - now you know!

Stops and OD are related by:

OD = log (2 ^ f-stops)

f-stops = log(10 ^ OD) / log(2)

The tables below show how this pans out:

http://www.famillekaye.com/od_vs_fstop2.jpg

So, if Oly are saying they can do 4.2 steps, then that's 13.95 stops.

Sounds impressive, but remember that the output medium will dictate the real DR. In truth we are usually compressing DR when we take photographs. What matters most to real-world photographers is the ability to lift shadows and that's more about noise handling than DR per se.

drmarkf
28th September 2016, 09:17 AM
I don't think this has been raised before, but it looks to me that they've moved the USB connector and flap to the other side of the body. This should obviate the need to use a Heath Robinson extension piece when using the camera in an L-bracket and will please me if its true.
Alternatively I'd be happy if the iOS app allowed triggering of the native HDR series...

Ian
28th September 2016, 09:22 AM

I think one can get too obsessive about datasheets. It's what it can do in real life that matters. The Fuji X-Trans sensor has advantages and disadvantages as does the E-M1 Mark II.

Ian

Ian
28th September 2016, 09:24 AM
Has anyone read the max number of shots (raw) in burst mode before the buffer is full? Lets say on a 95bps card?
Kind regards mike

It's a lot - I accidentally let loose a series of 18fps frames and there were dozens of them with no non-noticeable slow down.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
28th September 2016, 02:32 PM
I don't think this has been raised before, but it looks to me that they've moved the USB connector and flap to the other side of the body. This should obviate the need to use a Heath Robinson extension piece when using the camera in an L-bracket and will please me if its true.
Alternatively I'd be happy if the iOS app allowed triggering of the native HDR series...

It's actually the (new) remote cable socket with the same outcome. No more jacking up the camera on an extra bit of hardware, just to be able to plug the remote release in. I think the USB port is still on the left though so it won't help for tethered studio work in portrait position using an L bracket.

drmarkf
28th September 2016, 03:17 PM
It's actually the (new) remote cable socket with the same outcome. No more jacking up the camera on an extra bit of hardware, just to be able to plug the remote release in. I think the USB port is still on the left though so it won't help for tethered studio work in portrait position using an L bracket.

Ah, right, that was what I meant!

I've just been doing a lot of landscape shooting (well, portrait landscape shooting, if you see what I mean!) in California and I'm well p'd off with said clamp extension and fiddling about re-inserting the plug after it has fallen out for the 6th time!

Excellent. This is a major usability improvement unless you're doing tethering (and I guess using an electronic trigger is easier for studio tethered work, when triggering an HDR series is unlikely to be needed).

Graham_of_Rainham
4th October 2016, 02:35 PM
While all the other days are "Demo Days"; there's one that stands out as something "Different"... :eek:

http://www.olympus-imagespace.co.uk/what-is-on/product-touch-and-try-day-digital-depot/

timboo
4th October 2016, 06:44 PM
I see it is now listed on SRS pre order

pdk42
4th October 2016, 09:01 PM
I see it is now listed on SRS pre order

Still no price though :(

timboo
5th October 2016, 07:06 AM
Still no price though :(

Yeah there is £0.00 🤑 Seems quite reasonable

Zuiko
5th October 2016, 08:36 AM

In that case I'll have two, please. :D

Harold Gough
6th October 2016, 06:55 AM

No cashback? :D

Harold

Phill D
6th October 2016, 07:04 AM
It would be a percentage Harold :)

timboo
10th October 2016, 07:37 AM
No cashback? :D

Harold

Now ur just taking the biscuit how does £200 sound? ;)

Wee man
10th October 2016, 08:05 AM
Is that for two before cash back?
Giving a price now would help people sort out just what to do.

Wee Man

pdk42
10th October 2016, 09:17 AM
The way the £ is going, I can see this being north of £1500.

Harold Gough
10th October 2016, 09:22 AM
Is that for two before cash back?
Giving a price now would help people sort out just what to do.

Wee Man

I't won't help me. My EM-1 does all I need.

Harold

gazza95
12th October 2016, 12:50 PM
Just wondered if anyone had seen any announcements for a proper hands on events yet?

I see 43rumors are suggesting shipment in early December.

Gary

Ross the fiddler
12th October 2016, 12:56 PM
I't won't help me. My EM-1 does all I need.

Harold

Come on Harold! It isn't about what we need! :p

I know I haven't used all the tools available in my E-M1 yet, but I would like to try & do so with the Mk II though. *yes ;) :D

*chr

Bruce Clarke
12th October 2016, 01:57 PM
I'd like the Mk II for a lot of the general tweaks, but it seems to be mainly aimed at pros for serious speed, which I don't often need. I suspect the price will reflect that. I was hoping the hi-res mode would be hand-holdable, as they said that was one of their goals. I guess it must be pretty good focusing with 4/3 lenses though. Whereas the E-M1 was a cert for me (still does most of what I need very well), I may have to pass on this one if it's too expensive. It's also a bit annoying to have a new battery format, as I've never had a problem with the existing one. Again, a sign of their pro intentions.

Mdb2
12th October 2016, 10:00 PM
Bruce, One can only hope. Maybe it can be done later with a firmware update? At the end of the day something must be kept back for the em1 mk3.
Kind regards mike

drmarkf
12th October 2016, 10:08 PM
At the end of the day something must be kept back for the em1 mk3.
Kind regards mike

Hand held hi-res would sit well if introduced in the M5 mkiii, thus further differentiated as the 'travel and landscape' compact body from the 'sports and speed' M1 mkii.

Bruce Clarke
12th October 2016, 10:50 PM
Bruce, One can only hope. Maybe it can be done later with a firmware update? At the end of the day something must be kept back for the em1 mk3.
Kind regards mike

No, they would have done it if they could. Originally they said they were hoping to get it down to 1/60, but with the the sub-pixel sensor movements for the multiple exposures, hoping for the IS to sort out hand movement at the same time always seemed a bit ambitious. The EM-5 III probably won't have the same processing power that's required for the absurd frame rates on the E-M1 II. It may well be of interest to me though.

pdk42
13th October 2016, 01:48 AM
The only thing that interests me with the mk ii is improved noise, DR and resolution (in that order). If it delivers then I'll get one (unless the price is stupid).

If it doesn't then I may pick up an e-M5ii for its hi res mode.

Ross the fiddler
13th October 2016, 03:03 AM
The only thing that interests me with the mk ii is improved noise, DR and resolution (in that order). If it delivers then I'll get one (unless the price is stupid).

If it doesn't then I may pick up an e-M5ii for its hi res mode.

That will be nice for me too, but the greater improvement for me would be the cross type PD-AF sensor points (with CD-AF in hybrid mode) & over a greater area, not to mention that it will come with 121 AF points.

If I am able to come up with the cash for the higher price (also exacerbated with our lower dollar) then I would dearly love to get it as a kit with the 12-100 f4 lens as it would most likely serve me better than the 12-60 SWD lens I got earlier this year at a bargain price. The rest of the lenses would have to be what I already have now. I can see the kit going for about $3,500 here though (the 300 f4 lens is $3,300).

TonyR
13th October 2016, 08:00 AM
I'm very keen to get one for the improved AF. In fact I have a pre-porder in on that basis. However, I may well reconsider if the price is at a stupid level. As the pound continues to fall, I think it is more and more likely to be at a stupid level.

I'm not yet quite sure what my own stupid level is, but if the camera is price much above the launch price of the E-M1 (say more than +20%), I may well cancel my pre-order. I have never really been that happy with C-AF on the E-M1 which is one of my main requirements. I think it worked better with the 50-200 than the 300mm f/4 for example. Perhaps I will solve that problem, if it arises, by giving up on Olympus and getting a D500.

Ross the fiddler
13th October 2016, 10:17 AM
I'm very keen to get one for the improved AF. In fact I have a pre-porder in on that basis. However, I may well reconsider if the price is at a stupid level. As the pound continues to fall, I think it is more and more likely to be at a stupid level.

I'm not yet quite sure what my own stupid level is, but if the camera is price much above the launch price of the E-M1 (say more than +20%), I may well cancel my pre-order. I have never really been that happy with C-AF on the E-M1 which is one of my main requirements. I think it worked better with the 50-200 than the 300mm f/4 for example. Perhaps I will solve that problem, if it arises, by giving up on Olympus and getting a D500.

Olympus has said it will be slightly up in price on the E-M1 (which may be understated), but if the BP drops more & "the price is at a stupid level" then so will all the other new cameras etc. as well. The fact that the Mk II will have 121 cross type PD-AF sensing points, it has to be a lot better than what we have at present on the Mk I, including with the 4/3's lenses.

After the reviews etc are done we will all have a better idea on how well it will suit each of us (cost per advantages etc).

TonyR
13th October 2016, 10:25 AM
Olympus has said it will be slightly up in price on the E-M1 (which may be understated), but if the BP drops more & "the price is at a stupid level" then so will all the other new cameras etc. as well. The fact that the Mk II will have 121 cross type PD-AF sensing points, it has to be a lot better than what we have at present on the Mk I, including with the 4/3's lenses.

After the reviews etc are done we will all have a better idea on how well it will suit each of us.

Good point! I'll just have to stick with my E-M1. Or take up fishing... Something cheap.

pdk42
13th October 2016, 10:37 AM
I think my "stupid level" is £1400 for the body only. Anything more than that and I'll be waiting.

Ross the fiddler
13th October 2016, 10:41 AM
I think my "stupid level" is £1400 for the body only. Anything more than that and I'll be waiting.

I will have to wait, but am hoping next year will bring a price drop & a cash back like it was in May/June 2014 for my E-M1. We will see. :rolleyes: *ohwell

TonyR
13th October 2016, 10:44 AM

Am I correct in remembering the E-M1 launch price was £1300 for body only? I think I paid £1949 for the E-M1 with 12-40 Pro and free grip.

I think my stupid level is £1600. +£100 for the new camera and +£200 for the currency move.

TonyR
13th October 2016, 10:47 AM
I will have to wait, but am hoping next year will bring a price drop & a cash back like it was in May/June 2014 for my E-M1. We will see. :rolleyes: *ohwell

If they do launch with a stupid price I think this is quite likely as sales will be lower than otherwise.

gazza95
13th October 2016, 12:23 PM
If price gets that silly will be moving to another system and selling 90-250... :(

Gary

DavyG
13th October 2016, 02:22 PM
If price gets that silly will be moving to another system and selling 90-250... :(

Gary

Regardless of the initial price, it will come down.

In the interim, my E-M1 still works very well.

Dave

Ross the fiddler
14th October 2016, 03:29 AM
Regardless of the initial price, it will come down.

In the interim, my E-M1 still works very well.

Dave

Ouch! :eek: It ain't looking good for me at this point. :(

These are leaked/rumoured Australian prices.

http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/AUDprice.jpg

MikeH
14th October 2016, 07:39 AM
I had a little chat with my local Camera shop yesterday. They've had no indication of price yet, nor a date when it will be available for sale in the UK.

The owner reckoned there is nothing planned before Christmas and it was more likely to be around about the time of a big photo show before it would be available.

We can only speculate at the moment but at that price it's a bit of an ouch, especially if you factor in some spare batteries and a new grip.

Ross the fiddler
14th October 2016, 10:39 AM
I had a little chat with my local Camera shop yesterday. They've had no indication of price yet, nor a date when it will be available for sale in the UK.

The owner reckoned there is nothing planned before Christmas and it was more likely to be around about the time of a big photo show before it would be available.

We can only speculate at the moment but at that price it's a bit of an ouch, especially if you factor in some spare batteries and a new grip.

They would have to introduce it with a bonus grip as they have done before, I would think.

raichea
15th October 2016, 09:22 PM
They would have to introduce it with a bonus grip as they have done before, I would think.
I'd hope for at least a grip *and* a spare battery or two at that price...

The E-M1 came with a grip and the MMF-3 as the opening deal.

Ross the fiddler
16th October 2016, 03:21 AM
I'd hope for at least a grip *and* a spare battery or two at that price...

The E-M1 came with a grip and the MMF-3 as the opening deal.

We only got the grip (or MMF-3 as a choice) or later a cash back of similar value down under (& only got the MMF-3 with the E-M5). There were later deals that came up (through retailers) that included the extra battery etc.

Phill D
16th October 2016, 07:40 AM
Phew at an exchange rate of 1.6 that's about £1625 for a body only. Even though they fixed the one thing I wanted them to (added cross af points) I don't think I'm going to be an early adopter at that price :(

Bengeo
16th October 2016, 08:15 AM
I'll bet it comes in around the X-T2 price of £1399.

Wee man
16th October 2016, 08:29 AM
If too high the exchange price for an EM 1 and cash may make keeping the EM1 a better option it may take a year or more to drop to a better price or the pound to rise. The reviews by early adaptors could be make break for sales or brand changes.

Wee Man

pdk42
16th October 2016, 02:11 PM
I'll bet it comes in around the X-T2 price of £1399.

It is the XT2 price that sets my "stupid level". If Oly price it above the Fuji then I think they're misreading the market.

crimbo
16th October 2016, 02:29 PM
Maybe they read the market but the UK pound dropped so £1700 may be the 'adjusted' price The UK market will not be critical to the Mkll success or failure Just that I will not be able to afford one.

drmarkf
16th October 2016, 02:43 PM
It is the XT2 price that sets my "stupid level". If Oly price it above the Fuji then I think they're misreading the market.

It rather depends on what the XT2 price is going to be in a few months time...

pdk42
16th October 2016, 04:06 PM
It rather depends on what the XT2 price is going to be in a few months time...

True. We can thank Farage I guess for the mess we're in.

iso
16th October 2016, 05:14 PM
Um - someone somewhere in a thread here suggested we have a 'bet' on the UK RRP. I think I placed the highest at £1600 *yes

Wee man
16th October 2016, 05:22 PM
Is it worth listing a cut off upper price for members? I will list mine later.

Wee Man

iso
16th October 2016, 05:40 PM
Ed, yep there should come a time for sane people to say that 'I really want that f.0025 multicoated ice cream cone'. But I can't afford it - but yes the max I'd pay would be say one arm. OK plus 10%. *yes

Simon Bee
16th October 2016, 08:58 PM
I just received a 'newsletter' from Carmarthen Cameras, page 2 is 'intriguing' so I have pasted it below. Doesn't say exactly what will be on demo on Nov 2 but I have a hunch;)

I will not be in the market for the mk2 and its a two hour round trip to Carmarthen but I may just go all the same and satisfy my curiosity. I may even come back with a PEN-F :)

Simon

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Oly_Carm_Cameras.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/90963)

Ross the fiddler
16th October 2016, 09:31 PM

That sounds about right as it is AU$2295 downunder with one place (http://www.digidirect.com.au/csc/fujifilm/fujifilm_x-t2_black_mirrorless_body) giving 10% off.

Hemlockwood
16th October 2016, 10:59 PM
Thanks Simon. I work in Carmarthen. Nice one*chr

iso
17th October 2016, 05:58 PM
Can't work out if he is holding a tripod or a hedge clipper minus shears. Certainly a sharp salesman (person). But Simon please reveal what you think Carmarthen are up to? Given I think it's 'near' Wales perhaps they are announcing the relief of Mafeking :D:)

Simon Bee
17th October 2016, 06:28 PM
Can't work out if he is holding a tripod or a hedge clipper minus shears. Certainly a sharp salesman (person). But Simon please reveal what you think Carmarthen are up to? Given I think it's 'near' Wales perhaps they are announcing the relief of Mafeking :D:)

Sorry but I cannot make 'head nor tail' of what you are saying:confused:

Simon

shenstone
17th October 2016, 08:40 PM
The Rumours site says it will be out for Christmas

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-confirmed-olympus-e-m1ii-will-start-shipping-the-first-week-of-december/

As long as I get one for my oldest Nieces wedding in April I'll be happy

I think an event like that deserves an EM1 II and a 12-100 don't you :-)

Regards
Andy

Wee man
17th October 2016, 09:25 PM
Sorry link not working?

TonyR
3rd November 2016, 03:46 PM
Am I correct in remembering the E-M1 launch price was £1300 for body only? I think I paid £1949 for the E-M1 with 12-40 Pro and free grip.

I think my stupid level is £1600. +£100 for the new camera and +£200 for the currency move.

I think my "stupid" level has gone up to £1850 :o. I have no will power.

raichea
3rd November 2016, 06:21 PM
I don't normally flag internet jokery, but given the relevance to this thread, I've broken my own rule here:

http://www.captiongenerator.com/188572/THE-MK2-GOES-ON-PRE-ORDER

(don't think I've seen this on these forums yet?)

raichea
3rd November 2016, 06:23 PM
The Rumours site says it will be out for Christmas

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-confirmed-olympus-e-m1ii-will-start-shipping-the-first-week-of-december/

As long as I get one for my oldest Nieces wedding in April I'll be happy

I think an event like that deserves an EM1 II and a 12-100 don't you :-)

Regards
Andy
Given the inaccuracy on the price ("Price still hasn’t been confirmed yet. There is only a general Olympus comment about the price being in the Fuji X-T2 (http://amzn.to/2ejttp8) territory."), I wonder how accurate the ship date is?