PDA

View Full Version : hello, hello,hello

spry
12th January 2009, 09:30 PM
Newbie from the Northeast!

Hi

My name is chris, i am just getting into photography and have an olympus e410 with the supplied lens and a Sigma 55-200mm lens

i am looking for any good tips or info to help me get the hang of dslr's

i am looking to start long exposures (water, Night shots and infrared)
so any help you can give would be good

thaks in advance and hello

JohnGG
12th January 2009, 11:55 PM
Welcome to the forum, Chris :)

I think the best way to get the hang of a DSLR, or any digital camera, is to take plenty of pictures whilst looking carefully at the resultant images, noting what works and what doesn't. Unlike film cameras, you can see the results immediately and the cost of taking a picture is minimal. The best advice I can give with regard to long exposures is to invest in a good-quality tripod and head plus a cable or remote release. I am not familiar with the E-410 but have a look through the hand-book to see if there is an "anti-shock" feature which raises the mirror a few seconds before the shot is taken in order to reduce camera shake.

This is a very friendly forum and people here are only too glad to give help and advice. I hope you will be able to post some of your images here soon.

Cheers,

JohnGG

Graham_of_Rainham
13th January 2009, 12:11 AM
Hi,

Welcome aboard

Once you have decided what depth of field you want and set the appropriate appature, water is all about the shutter speed. So start with 1/4 of a second and work up to whatever you can within a correct exposure range. To really get long exposures you may want to invest (ebay) in a ND filter.

As for Night shots. once you have picked your location start shooting as the last rays of the sun have gone and work at it untill there is no change in light levels.

With both these techniques it will not be until you get home and see the results on a monitor that you can decide what type of image you like best. Once you decide that then use those settings and home in on the results that you want.

Most important of all: Have fun

*chr

StephenL
13th January 2009, 09:18 AM
Hi and welcome. I thnk the first and most important thing to do is to understand exposure. So use your camera on "manual" and experiment with different combinations of shutter speed and f stops (lens diaphragm). Have fun, and keep us up-to-date with your progress and any questions you have, no matter how "stupid" they appear to you - we've all been there!

phoebepants
13th January 2009, 08:07 PM
Hi love!

(Chris is my other half, i'm not getting fruity!) so most of the pics i have posted have been taken by him!

skyman1
13th January 2009, 08:24 PM
Hi Chris and welcome to a great friendly forum :)

spry
14th January 2009, 12:56 AM
hi, and thanks for the warm welcome