PDA

View Full Version : Hairline crack in my rear screen

michaelavis
12th January 2009, 01:30 PM
I was devastated to find my rear screen has a hairline crack in it when I turned the screen round to review settings and images the other day. I can't point to how it happened as I always keep the screen facing inwards other than when I'm using it.

The camera is in warranty, but I would imagine I'm going to run into problems in that it will be seen as a use issue rather than a fault hence they won't cover it under warranty.

Whatever Olympus's take on the warranty situation, I want to camera repaired to its former glory. Does anybody have experience of getting screens repaired? Any tips welcome.

benvendetta
12th January 2009, 01:58 PM
When I discovered moisture on the corner of my E-3s screen the whole assembly was replaced by Olympus in Portugal (but it took two visits for the work to be done). I guess that it is likely that the whole thing will need to be replaced in your case rather than just the screen changed.
If you decide to send it off get it done by the store you bought it from as you won't have to incurr any costs yourself - and they may loan you another body............. this worked for me.

Wreckdiver
12th January 2009, 04:22 PM
I have always been a bit wary about damaging the screen on my E-3, so I keep it turned out all the time. It doesn't seem that robust to me. I really need to get around to fitting a protective film over it though.

Steve

michaelavis
12th January 2009, 04:36 PM
I have always been a bit wary about damaging the screen on my E-3, so I keep it turned out all the time. It doesn't seem that robust to me. I really need to get around to fitting a protective film over it though.

Steve

Yes, I would do that. When this is sorted out I will definitely fit a protective film. If this has been due to my handling of the camera, although I can't think how I did it, if I did, all I can say is that screen is very very fragile, especially considering this is supposed to be a relatively robust camera.

Wreckdiver
12th January 2009, 04:41 PM
Glad you posted this Michael as it reminded me to order some films. Park Cameras have them in packs of 3 ;) for 5.99 (8.49 inc. postage) Park Cameras (http://www.parkcameras.com/6359/Olympus-E-System-2-5--LCD-Protectors-(Pack-of-3).html)

Just placed the order.

Hope Oly sorts your E-3 under warranty.

Steve

michaelavis
12th January 2009, 05:37 PM
Glad you posted this Michael as it reminded me to order some films. Park Cameras have them in packs of 3 ;) for 5.99 (8.49 inc. postage) Park Cameras (http://www.parkcameras.com/6359/Olympus-E-System-2-5--LCD-Protectors-(Pack-of-3).html)

Just placed the order.

Hope Oly sorts your E-3 under warranty.

Steve

Thanks, I hope so too! I've ordered some of those proetectors you provided the link for. Thanks for that.

michaelavis
21st January 2009, 11:27 PM
Sent the camera in to Oly and they're fixing it under warranty - new lcd. So far very pleased, no fuss and getting email updates on what's happening including an estimate that they'll fix and return my E-3 by 9th Feb. Can't say fairer than that.