PDA

View Full Version : New kid on the block

ianjip
24th December 2007, 02:25 PM
Hello one and all,

It's been very interesting reading everyones posts, not only that, but informative as well.
I've used Nikon cameras for some years now with no complaints,my first journey into digital photography was with an olympus 2 mega pixal, then a cannon and a fuji.
Then I tried a nikon D70s just to see how I got with a dslr it's been useful but I've noticed that more and more of a slight blurring to my images, it must be my age.
From the helpful information supplied by your good selves on this site, I will be looking to get my hands on a E3. I like to take advantage of any photographic situation, wild life, especially birds.
What lenses would the group recommend ? the budget does not stretch to the 90-250 f2.0.

many thanks ian.

shenstone
24th December 2007, 03:04 PM
Hi Ian - welcome

As you can see from the many posts on this site there are quite a few options for you. Bird photograly is one of the areas I want to do more of and for that reason I've been waiting for (and still am until after Christmas) the 70-300 which I will add to my EC-14 TC to give me flexibility at a weight that I'm willing to carry

Back in Film days my favorite was a Sigma APO 1-300 which I occasionally added a T/C on to give me more length. Sigma still do some good lenses and before Olympus announced this lens I was seriously looking into the Sigma
135-400mm.

The best way for you to decide is to hunt out as many photo's taken with the lenses you are considering in as many forums as possible then make your own mind up. Stats and figures can only take you so far.

Regards
Andy

Barr1e
24th December 2007, 03:05 PM
Hello one and all,

It's been very interesting reading everyones posts, not only that, but informative as well.
I've used Nikon cameras for some years now with no complaints,my first journey into digital photography was with an olympus 2 mega pixal, then a cannon and a fuji.
Then I tried a nikon D70s just to see how I got with a dslr it's been useful but I've noticed that more and more of a slight blurring to my images, it must be my age.
From the helpful information supplied by your good selves on this site, I will be looking to get my hands on a E3. I like to take advantage of any photographic situation, wild life, especially birds.
What lenses would the group recommend ? the budget does not stretch to the 90-250 f2.0.

many thanks ian.

That's chipper and welcome to the new kid on the block.

Have a great time here Ian.

Happy Christmas. Barr1e

theMusicMan
24th December 2007, 03:15 PM
Hey Ian

I agree with what has already bee said... I'd go for the 70-300mm it is a terrific lens for the price. I have one and am amazed at the quality - but then again it is Oly glass we're talking about here.

Coupled with the E-3, and in good hands, I am sure you will get super results from it. It's not the fastest lens of course and coupled with the 1.4x you will lose a stop, but the in-camera IS in the E-3 makes up for it.

Happy shooting, and welcome to the site.

PeterD
24th December 2007, 04:26 PM
Hey Ian

I agree with what has already bee said... I'd go for the 70-300mm it is a terrific lens for the price. I have one and am amazed at the quality - but then again it is Oly glass we're talking about here.

Coupled with the E-3, and in good hands, I am sure you will get super results from it. It's not the fastest lens of course and coupled with the 1.4x you will lose a stop, but the in-camera IS in the E-3 makes up for it.

Happy shooting, and welcome to the site.

Ian,

I fully agree with the above. When I walk the dog during daylight I usually fit the 70-300mm lens, just in case. I am very pleased with the results.

At night I fit the 12-60mm. A couple of nights ago I came across a heron resting on a log in the middle of the lake. Couldnt resist it and took the shot (see my gallery).

The E3 is superb and the IS makes all sorts of possibilities achievable without having to lug a tripod around.

PeterD