PDA

View Full Version : New Panasonic/Leica lens

pdk42
16th June 2016, 06:12 PM
Panasonic have launched a 12mm f1.4 lens:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Leica_DG_Summilux_12mm_f1-4_H-X012/

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Leica_DG_Summilux_12mm_f1-4_H-X012/images/Three_12mm_pose2_745.jpg

Ricoh
16th June 2016, 09:04 PM
I read about it as well, the article suggesting it to be the ideal street lens, and weather proof too. Only thing against is the lack of meaningful manual focus and DoF scale. Personally I feel 12 is just too wide for street, ok now and agin, but not as the main objective. 15 to 17 is far better.

pdk42
16th June 2016, 09:09 PM
I read about it as well, the article suggesting it to be the ideal street lens, and weather proof too. Only thing against is the lack of meaningful manual focus and DoF scale. Personally I feel 12 is just too wide for street, ok now and agin, but not as the main objective. 15 to 17 is far better.

I'm not much of a street photographer Steve, but I agree with your view on focal length (and you're much better qualified than I am to hold it!). When I have done street, I actually quite like the 45.

Ricoh
16th June 2016, 09:32 PM
Oh I don't know Paul, I still have massive L plates!

Focal length wise, wide allows closer engagement with the matter in hand, but knowing the lens and where to stand is key. Having shot so much using a lens between 30 and 35 I know where to position myself. If I switch to a 50 I often get it wrong and have to back peddle quickly.
Know your lens, shoot with the choice you make and don't chop and change - that's the best tip.

EDIT: All units normalised to 35mm FF.

EDIT2: I see it has a 'proper' aperture control, where God intended!

benvendetta
16th June 2016, 10:08 PM
It's not exactly small. But it does look nice.

CJJE
16th June 2016, 10:13 PM
I was tempted - until I saw the price for early adopters being around 1200! (And it could go a lot higher if the exchange rate goes through the floor in the next few weeks!!)

But at least it seems to have stimulated some price drops for the Olympus 12mm f2 as SRS Microsystems are offering the Olympus lens for 485 instead of their usual 539 until the 21st of June :)

Chris

pdk42
16th June 2016, 11:09 PM
Wow - 1200. That's a crazy price. You can pickup a Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art for less than half that and it's an FF lens covering four times the image circle.

blu-by-u
17th June 2016, 04:12 AM
Wow - 1200. That's a crazy price. You can pickup a Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art for less than half that and it's an FF lens covering four times the image circle.

But it does not have AF and that L badge. :eek:

Giving that the skip.;)

Wally
17th June 2016, 08:08 AM
:eek: 1200 and I wonder how much of that is for the L on the lense?

CJJE
17th June 2016, 10:54 AM
A fairer comparison than a Sigma lens would be the Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L II USM at 1099 and the Nikon 24mm f/1.4 G AF-S ED at 1572! But it's still more than I would be allowed to pay!

Chris

Bruce Clarke
17th June 2016, 12:29 PM
12mm is a great length for landscape, but I rarely feel the need of shallow DOF at that length. I'll stick with my good old Pana 12-35 f2.8 for now.

OM USer
17th June 2016, 01:51 PM
Didn't the review say it was much sharper than the Olympus 12mm? I've never heard any complaints about the Oly 12mm before.

pdk42
17th June 2016, 02:38 PM
Didn't the review say it was much sharper than the Olympus 12mm? I've never heard any complaints about the Oly 12mm before.

The pixel peeking test images in the Cameralabs review do indeed show it's sharper, but I doubt it would make a difference on 99.9% of shots.

Graham_of_Rainham
17th June 2016, 04:18 PM
While the whole "low light" thing is ok, having to use focus stacking to overcome the minute DoF, could be tiresome and for anything other than static subjects virtually impossible.

Like HDR the OOF background has been done to death.

Interestingly, I've seen sample images that show clear signs of CA and diffusion softening.

With ever better high ISO performance, do we really need super fast lenses.

It looks like it gets very good about f/2.0 so that will make it attractive to those that want that amount of light gathering.

drmarkf
17th June 2016, 08:44 PM
EDIT2: I see it has a 'proper' aperture control, where God intended!

Unfortunately it's been excommunicated: the Cameralabs review confirms that it doesn't do anything on Oly bodies!

David M
17th June 2016, 08:54 PM
:eek: 1200 and I wonder how much of that is for the L on the lense?

Hopefully you don't have to buy three, test them, keep the best and return the other two like some people do with another makers L lenses.

pdk42
17th June 2016, 09:47 PM
Unfortunately it's been excommunicated: the Cameralabs review confirms that it doesn't do anything on Oly bodies!

I find this a particularly annoying and petty cross-manufacturer limitation. It can't be rocket science to fix this in firmware.

drmarkf
17th June 2016, 09:57 PM
Yes, as you know the 15 f1.7 is the same. It doesn't matter much on an OMD because there are enough control dials and buttons to substitute, but it's a right pain on the lesser Oly bodies. Comes in to its own on the GM1 and 5, of course.

Ricoh
17th June 2016, 11:06 PM
Yes, as you know the 15 f1.7 is the same. It doesn't matter much on an OMD because there are enough control dials and buttons to substitute, but it's a right pain on the lesser Oly bodies. Comes in to its own on the GM1 and 5, of course.

But, and a big but, you as the photographer have to raise the camera to the eye, or view the LCD as a noddy would in composing a shot, to determine the bloody f number the camera is set at. Don't you ever wish you could walk about and look down at the camera and determine the f stop, and hence the DoF. It's one of the most important controls, of course the shutter speed has its moments, now and again!

drmarkf
18th June 2016, 08:47 AM
Well, the OMDs all show the f setting at the bottom of the screen, both in LiveView and the Super control panel, so other than maybe having to tilt the camera I don't see it's a major problem!

Actually for almost all of my street photography these days I'm using the rear screen tilted out like a TLR for viewing and tap focussing, and I only raise the body to my eye when the sun's too bright or I want to distract nearby people in to thinking I'm shooting something over their heads and then reviewing the shots on screen (when I'm actually taking their picture).

So, looking like a rank amateur I argue is a positive advantage for street, and it's only the quality of the output images that matter!

At least the OMDs keep the screen aperture display bright white while you're changing it (and the GM1 turns it yellow, which is also fine): the Sony A7S turns it red, which becomes invisible in anything other than dim light.

Yet another of the little irritations that handicap real-life usage of the A7 series. They'll get there, but they sure ain't there yet.

Ricoh
18th June 2016, 11:08 AM
You're right of course, both wrt the camera, and looking like a rank amateur...

It's just that I find it frustrating not being able to see, at a glance, the aperture and shutter speed - old school I know - and whilst I'm at it, not being able to see DoF and focus. However, I have another tool that allows all of this. Highly recommended for street photography.