PDA

View Full Version : IS & "Legacy" Lens focal length setting

Graham_of_Rainham
6th January 2009, 04:13 PM
I've searched the manual and can't find the answer: :confused:

If I attach an OM 24mm lens to the E-3, what focal length do I set on the IS for this "legacy" lens.

Is it 24mm or 48mm *???

Thanks

PS Please forgive me if this has already been answered (just post the thread please)

Jim Ford
6th January 2009, 04:23 PM
I've searched the manual and can't find the answer: :confused:

If I attach an OM 24mm lens to the E-3, what focal length do I set on the IS for this "legacy" lens.

Is it 24mm or 48mm *???

The focal length of a 24mm lens - whether it's used on a 16mm submin, 4/3rds, 35mm or 6.5" x 8.5" Full Plate, is always 24mm - which is the dimension you should use. The 48mm refers to the equivalent field-of-view that it produces on a 4/3rds format, relative to 35mm.

Jim

Graham_of_Rainham
6th January 2009, 04:39 PM
The focal length of a 24mm lens - whether it's used on a 16mm submin, 4/3rds, 35mm or 6.5" x 8.5" Full Plate, is always 24mm - which is the dimension you should use. The 48mm refers to the equivalent field-of-view that it produces on a 4/3rds format, relative to 35mm.

Jim

Jim,

As I suspected but couldn't find in the manual (It don't cater for common sense)

Much appreciated

*chr

Henk
6th January 2009, 05:15 PM
Jim,

As I suspected but couldn't find in the manual (It don't cater for common sense)

Much appreciated

*chr

You can't find it in the manual because it was added with the first firmware update which was long after the manual was written.:)

snaarman
6th January 2009, 07:17 PM
Further to this thread.. I think is an obvious but missing tweak to the software to take the legacy lens setting you just dialled in and add it to the exif data.. That would be nice - wouldn't it Olympus :)

Pete

Graham_of_Rainham
6th January 2009, 08:38 PM
Further to this thread.. I think is an obvious but missing tweak to the software to take the legacy lens setting you just dialled in and add it to the exif data.. That would be nice - wouldn't it Olympus :)

Pete

I have often wondered why Olympus has not had someone sat going through all these suggestions that appear on forums such as this and rated them for ease of implimentation and product improvement.

This is a prime example.

HughofBardfield
6th January 2009, 08:50 PM
I have often wondered why Olympus has not had someone sat going through all these suggestions that appear on forums such as this and rated them for ease of implimentation and product improvement.

This is a prime example.

It does seem odd - especially as they support this forum.

One would have thought this was a simple firmware tweak...

Graham_of_Rainham
6th January 2009, 09:55 PM
One would have thought this was a simple firmware tweak...

Having spent a lot of years writing software, the "tweak" often only takes minutes. The configeration control documentation, interface tests, etc., etc., etc... Takes forever, which is probably why so many "nice to have" improvements never get implimented.

But that should never stop us asking. Who knows the E-n (where 0<n<999) will have all the good ideas incorporated.

Multi Spot Metering (should anyone be listening)

*chr

DerekW
7th January 2009, 10:02 AM
If the rumoured firmware update for the E3 contains what has been forecast then quite a bit of extra documentation will have to be generated either in Japan or out in the web.

From what I have observed with Olympus it is a top down company, there being little or no encouragement for country based initiatives to be done to improve customer support - however one does detect some local initiatives in the US company.

photo_owl
8th January 2009, 09:47 PM
If the rumoured firmware update for the E3 contains what has been forecast then quite a bit of extra documentation will have to be generated either in Japan or out in the web.

From what I have observed with Olympus it is a top down company, there being little or no encouragement for country based initiatives to be done to improve customer support - wever one does detect some local initiatives in the US company.

Hmmm....and there's me expecting the HLD4 voltage and associated battery indicators to be resolve full stop - can't see the need for any documentation on that!

ajwh
24th January 2009, 04:49 PM
Graham et al, just to point out (tactfully) that the addition of the focal length option for IS in legacy lenses WAS put in by Oly as a response to discussion by users.
If you look back at Oly SLR talk on DPreview, you'll find lots of discussion on this topic. we know Oly watches that forum.....

Andrew

mike_j
24th January 2009, 04:53 PM
If the rumoured firmware update for the E3 contains what has been forecast

What has been forecast? I'd be really interested to know. Can you supply a link or summary please.

ajwh
24th January 2009, 05:09 PM
Discussion (and speculation) at:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=30393314
Andrew

photo_owl
24th January 2009, 05:51 PM
What has been forecast? I'd be really interested to know. Can you supply a link or summary please.

summary would be 'improvement to the battery management aspects of the HLD-4'

the rest (of the thread linked) isn't even speculation it's just a brain dump by many who have switched their brains off first.

mike_j
24th January 2009, 06:37 PM
Discussion (and speculation) at:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=30393314
Andrew

Thanks, but I'm sorry I asked. My brain cell hurts now, as well as the diodes all the way down my left leg.