PDA

View Full Version : 12th Challenge - "Chirstmas is..." RESULTS !!!

Makonde
4th January 2009, 11:54 AM
Voting on the twelfth and last challenge of 2008 was completed by midnight last night. The entries represented various takes on Christmas and the voting, in turn, was interestingly varied. Nevertheless a clear winner emerged, followed at some distance by the pack.

Congratulations to Susan whose photo (#4) amassed 45 points followed by Ellie (#11) with 20. My own entry (#8) finished third with 16 points. With considerable relief I now hand the organisation of the 1st Challenge of 2009 to Susan ;), who I am sure will give us something ingenious to tackle.

Good wishes to all for a good New Year's shooting.

Here are the winning three. I hope that Susan and Ellie will say a few words about their approach to this challenge and their entries:

#4 by Susan - Christmas is...Warmth and love:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/695/12_Warmth_and_love.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11400)

#11 by Ellie - Christmas is...Baubles and light:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/695/12_Baubles_and_light.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11408)

__________________________________________________ ___

#8 by Makonde - Christmas is...Silent Night, available light:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/695/12_Silent_Night_available_light.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11405)

Notes on #8: In the run-up to Christmas i had a number of shots including Christmas shopping, Santa at the street fair (in the gallery), street performers in Kingston and of course decorations (baubles) which seemed popular!. I went for a more unusual set of shots of a fine amateur choir doing a pub crawl for charity. A difficult subject in view of depth of field and lighting but I went for the one with most human interest and unusual subject- mouths open in full 'aaah!'

Susan
4th January 2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks Keith :)

Congratulations to Ellie and Keith as well, and also to everyone else too who took part *chr

I actually struggled to get my image for this competition believe it or not. I had originally wanted to get the family around the table on Christmas day, but unfortnately the setup wasn't really ideal for it.
But luckily no-one wanted Christmas pud for desert, which gave me the idea for the shot I submitted :)

#4 Christmas is warmth and love notes:
Applied black vinyl to the dining table and wall! (didn't stick it down fully though!), set up the plate and whisky, sat directly in front of it, with the camera on the tripod only slightly higher than the level of the pud & glass.
I used my 35mm macro lens with the flash gun attached to the camera. I did take a few attempts to set it and frame it how i wanted. Then I enlisted Garrie's help to light the brandy! now that was fun, he ended up heating it on the hob until it was smoking before we could get it to light! luckily didn't have any burnt fingers though :)
Aperture was fixed at f/4, exposure time was 0.8 seconds.
It was difficult trying to get the flame engulfing the pud, which is why it's more to one side. Not sure if the pudding's meant to be cooked before lighting, but i was too impatient, so that may not have helped with the flame factor.

Got my thinking cap on now for the next competition, and will post details shortly.

Thanks
Susan :)

Makonde
4th January 2009, 03:23 PM
Interesting - I can't figure out how you got those double reflections at the base of the dish and glass...

You need a hot pudding (6 mins microwave...) then when you pour brandy over, it will evaporate so that it can be ignited!

Susan
4th January 2009, 05:17 PM
Ah so my impatience was the cause of poor flames *yes

I think the double reflection was due to the vinyl, i used a gloss black, and hadnt applied enough to give a decent amount of black in front of the items, so i put an extra layer of vinyl over it, so there would have been a slight bump where i applied it over the top of the bottom layer. That's the only thing i can think would have caused it.

snaarman
5th January 2009, 02:31 PM
A very worthy winner Susan, which clearly took some work to achieve :)

Excellent..

Pete

tlove
5th January 2009, 07:57 PM
A very worthy winner indeed - and well done to all who entered *chr

Now - for the next challenge :D!

jucca
5th January 2009, 08:04 PM
Congrats. very nice pictures ;)

Wonder, what is that on the first picture on left?

Makonde
5th January 2009, 08:23 PM
Congrats. very nice pictures ;)

Wonder, what is that on the first picture on left?

It's a Christmas Pudding - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_pudding

Heavy going but delicious. Traditionally served flamed with brandy after Christmas dinner, with brandy butter and cream.

But frequently, diners are by then too full to move, let alone try more than a spoonful of pudding!

jucca
5th January 2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for explanation, it looks and sounds delicious, happily I can eat A lot :D

Ellie
6th January 2009, 12:31 AM
:eek: Gosh, I hadn't expected to be voted second because I thought there were far better pictures.

Thank you everybody, and congratulations to Susan and Keith too. *chr

I can't say much about it really. It was taken in at the last minute and in a hurry before it went dark. I put the camera on the tripod and used shutter delay. I tried to work out something that might look reasonable and took quite a few shots that were useless because the light was wrong (red Christmas tree lights looked awful). I chose the best of the bunch and cropped it in tight to the baubles, carefully trying to avoid chopping off their edges because I remember reading somewhere or other that it's not a good idea to lose part of a round shape.

I'm not sure what the disembodied red disc is, below the bid red bauble. Could it be caused by having a filter on the lens?

E-P1 fan
7th January 2009, 07:31 PM
Well done everyone... hey Susan - there's aaplace for you in advertising... lovely shot and a worthy No 1

Susan
8th January 2009, 07:24 AM
Well done everyone... hey Susan - there's aaplace for you in advertising... lovely shot and a worthy No 1

Thankyou :)

theMusicMan
8th January 2009, 08:54 AM
@Susan: Another excellent image from you, and a worthy winner to boot Susan, well done to you.

@All: I will be posting the final league table and details of the winner of the e-group 2008 challenge on this coming weekend. Until then... :)

tlove
8th January 2009, 05:29 PM
[B]I will be posting the final league table and details of the winner of the e-group 2008 challenge on this coming weekend. Until then... :)

Oooooh - do I get a prize for propping up the table? :D:D:D

Barr1e
8th January 2009, 08:44 PM
Hi Susan -

Congratulations...

...and the runners up too.

Regards. Barr1e

Susan
13th January 2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks John & Barr1e

I was telling my boss at work about this competition and showed him my shot, bonus - he's told me to print it on canvas on our large format printer to hang in my office :D