PDA

View Full Version : Whatsapp vs SMS

Jim Ford
28th April 2016, 09:23 AM
I use SMS for text messaging on my 'phone, but often see recommendations to use Whatsap, especially as it has 'end to end' encryption.

I've looked at it and from what I can see it uses the data allowance of the 'phone, rather than the SMS allowance.

With the contract I use (giffgaff) I have 200 free texts, which I never use up, but only 500 meg of data, which I usually use up. So for me Whatsapp may make a serious 'hit' on my data allowance.

Any opinions or advice on this?

Jim

Ross the fiddler
28th April 2016, 09:47 AM
I use SMS because I have an old basic phone plan (No Plans) without data, but that doesn't stop the myriad of fake Whatsapp emails though. :mad:

I do have a smart phone but only use it from our home wifi (for any data) normally. FB messaging from family members works well that way.

Graham_of_Rainham
28th April 2016, 09:57 AM
I use both. SMS when out and about with only a 3G or lower grade connection, but use Whatsapp when I have a hot spot wifi connection.

I'm on a pay as you go account that cost me about 60 per year. I get loads of free time txt and data each time I top up 10.

Ricoh
28th April 2016, 10:03 AM
I use both. Whatsapp is great for conversing with others living abroad, no charge either end other than data allowance, and it's absolutely free when using wifi.

DerekW
28th April 2016, 01:46 PM
We use iMessage when we are in contact with Wifi access anywhere in the world, very quick data transfer and one can see when the recipient receives and reads the message as well as when they are typing a reply. It is also possible to send voice messages as well via iMessage.

It it is very pedestrian when we have to rely on the telephone Text or SMS message.

xp1
28th April 2016, 02:43 PM
I prefer watsapp over sms due to the fact I get charged for sending images with sms but they are free with watsapp. I would use watsapp every time if all my contacts had it but you do need a connection to us it. Very fast and reliable. I have been using it for around three years and they made my day when they made it a free app.

Wee man
28th April 2016, 03:54 PM
I use whatsapp but usually by Wifi I link with family in South of Ireland with no charges for send or receive and photos and videos are straight forward to send.

Wee Man

Ricoh
28th April 2016, 04:11 PM
Another + for Whatsapp is you can set up group discussions by forming a contact group. As an example, I have one set up for family, so everyone in the family group can see what's going on, news items etc we want to share within the group. I have several contact groups for different purposes.

jdal
28th April 2016, 08:41 PM
WhatsApp is really good if there's a group of you sharing stuff, we use it for family pics and organising. It's also better than SMS for pics/video, but as said it's an internet thing. So it uses up data allowance, and worse still - if the intended recipient has no internet access when you send, then your message will not be received until they do get internet access. Which makes it useless for organising games of golf in Northumberland :mad:

pandora
28th April 2016, 09:47 PM
I'm way behind with new technologies, I just looked it up. I have real issues with a GalaxyS6 that has real issues with itself.
For $30 per month my plan includes 1.5GB data and unlimited, untimed phone calls to any mobile or landline in Oz.
I don't send many pictures per SMS; I share images with family by simply emailing or SMS'ing a link to the forum post, so they see what all you guys have to say - so watch your mouth! :D

George Dorn
29th April 2016, 05:34 AM
What amounts to free texts to other countries might be useful. It has taken over from Yahoo Groups in my gaming club.

Whatsapp recently forced users to upgrade and it was necessary to log in to google to get it. On my Android phone google them decided to muscle in to mange the contacts and appears to have abandoned all the old ones!